Paizo To Make Kingmaker Bestiary... For D&D 5E!

Kingmaker's 10th anniversary is approaching. Paizo has announced on their blog that, along with a Pathfinder 2E hardcover Kingmaker compilation, they will be creating a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for D&D 5E.

Kingmaker's 10th anniversary is approaching. Paizo has announced on their blog that, along with a Pathfinder 2E hardcover Kingmaker compilation, they will be creating a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for D&D 5E.

20190502-Kingmaker_500.jpg

The blog announcement says "[FONT=&amp]Finally, we'll add a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for 5E, developed in conjunction with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing, allowing players of the current edition of the world's oldest RPG the chance to experience the rich and detailed storylines that have made the Kingmaker Adventure Path a fan favorite for a decade."[/FONT]

It is being produced "with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing" and refers to "add-ons and unlocks" which "will be revealed as the campaign progresses". They're partnering with crowdfunding site Game On Tabletop.

They'll be revealing the details on Tuesday May 7th at noon Pacific time over at KingmakerCampaign.com.

Also in line is a Companion Guide for the PF2 Kingmaker campaign.

Worrgrendel

Explorer
I love how Pathfinder referred to 5th edition in their post:

The blog announcement says "[FONT=&amp]Finally, we'll add a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for 5E, developed in conjunction with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing, allowing players of the current edition of the world's oldest (emphasis mine) RPG the chance to experience the rich and detailed storylines that have made the Kingmaker Adventure Path a fan favorite for a decade."[/FONT]

Current and Oldest. LOL. Instead of the "5th edition of the world's greatest RPG". LOL. I see what you did there.

epithet

Explorer
Reaching out to make 5e players aware of their excellent adventure paths seems like a really good idea.

I'd love to see them cooperate with wizards to get some of their old Dungeon stuff out as well.

I'd throw money at a 5e Age of Worms hardcover.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
That would be a good conversion for Wotc to make. Not sure if Paizo owns the rights to that.

Paizo is in a tough spot. Sales of pathfinder have plummeted. A lot of fans that went to pathfinder because they didn't like 4e have come back for 5e. PF 2e isn't sitting well with a % of their fans. Starfinder is the only signing spot and it's good to see them throwing more support towards it. But, to be honest an Advanced 5e Starfinder would be a huge hit imo and I would prefer it over the older d20 chassis version.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I figured Pathfinder 2nd edition was a bad idea with D&D resurgent...

Not really much choice, I figure. They can't really add much to the PF1 rules and I'd be willing to bet that sales were dropping on the later entries and that's not good for the business plan. Plus, they've been wanting to do a version not so constrained by backward compatibility for some time. Ultimately, after 10 years of PF on top of a rule structure several years older than that, the game needed a clean-up edition at the minimum. But if you're gonna do that, might as well fix some other things that have been bothering them...

billd91

Agreed and that's kind of why I was surprised that PathFinder 2nd edition didn't pivot to be Advanced 5e. Lots of folks on here have decried the lack of chargen options and high level play support in 5e. Paizo could have gone after that market:

And risk being too closely tied to someone else's IP again. Being the #1 third party support for D&D burned them once before, of course they're going to be wary of basing their plans on WotC and whether or not they think WotC'll stick with 5e or swerve into another incompatible edition change with restrictive licensing as they did with the 4e project.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
And risk being too closely tied to someone else's IP again. Being the #1 third party support for D&D burned them once before, of course they're going to be wary of basing their plans on WotC and whether or not they think WotC'll stick with 5e or swerve into another incompatible edition change with restrictive licensing as they did with the 4e project.

Yep definitely a difficult business decision, but the size of 5e is huge and shows no sign of stopping.

billd91

This is interesting. I feel like it's a smart move for sure. Hopefully we will eventually get a Rise of the Runelords conversion.

Monster books might be a good way to go about it. Get people to buy their PDFs or other AP materials, then get them to buy the 5e monster supplement for it to handle most of the stat blocks.

epithet

Explorer
So would I, but Paizo has no control over that - WotC does.

The message I was replying to, though, was wishing for Paizo and Wiz to cooperate to get some old Dungeon stuff republished. AoW seems like an obvious first choice for that, though I have to admit I'd be leery of working directly with Wizards again if I were Paizo.

Remove ads

Remove ads