• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

dominate person...what all can you make them do?

00durrin

First Post
If you dominate a thug that was hired...can you make him spill everything he knows? How many saving throws do they get? Do they get a saving throw EVERY time you ask them to do something? sheesh that's crazy.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

Anything they are capable of doing as long as they miss their save. You can even make them commit suicide if they miss their saving throw. (hehe..self coup de gras)

Enjoy!!

They do get more than one save for some types of actions though per the spell text.

You guys were right. You cannot make someone suicide with a dominate spell except true domination, a fricking priest spell. That is too bad.

Last edited:

Al

First Post
Re: Re

Celtavian said:
Anything they are capable of doing as long as they miss their save. You can even make them commit suicide if they miss their saving throw. (hehe..self coup de gras)

Enjoy!!

They do get more than one save for some types of actions though per the spell text.

'Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out'.

Aside from that, however, anything goes. Though, as mentioned, there is another saving throw with a possible bonus. Asking a paladin to murder his beloved wife is probably going to give something of a bonus to his saving throw.

Stalker0

Legend
Gardening. Lots of Gardening. Oh dear god the gardening!!!:D

hehe, anyyyway... yeah preety much anything except suicidal stuff. They get a new saving throw every time you tell them to do something that's "against their nature"

So telling a paladin to go kill a balor, or asking a back-stabbing sneaky thief that would turn his own mother in info about his "friends" then those in my mind should be automatic.

As far as multiple saves go, I would only allow them if your severity of actions really went up.

For example, you have one of the pcs captured and you've dominated him. If your asking him questions about the other pcs, and he's generally doesn't want the party dead (hey, you never know) then he would get a save. He fails, so you can ask him all the questions in the world. Now, you ask him to kill the party, that would be another save.

If your doing this to players, and they start whining about (oh, I should get a new save for that, I should get a new save for this!!) remind them that they only have to follow the strict letter of the orders given, they can work around their orders. That's a whole lot more fun imho, then sitting there thinking up excuses to bust out of domination.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

What? You can't have them commit suicide? What about Dominate Monster? Is there a limit to what you can have them do with dominate monster? I can't believe you can't force them to slay themselves. The classic evil magical dominator can't make a person kill themselves. I hope Dominate Monster is a better.

Al

First Post
Re: Re

Celtavian said:
What? You can't have them commit suicide? What about Dominate Monster? Is there a limit to what you can have them do with dominate monster? I can't believe you can't force them to slay themselves. The classic evil magical dominator can't make a person kill themselves. I hope Dominate Monster is a better.

Again, no. Read the manual. You can't do it with Dominate Monster either. True Domination and Thrall (psionic powers) do allow you to force them to kill themselves.

Magic Jar is also an alternative.

But Dominate is a no-no.

Remove ads