Revised Ranger update

Satyrn

First Post
I'm curious as to your reasoning. How could the Animal Handling rules have been made more clear and that helped the Beastmaster? Keeping in mind that Bard's and Rogues Expertise could mean they are far Superior with the Animal Handling skill if they desired to be.
I made a comment similar to [MENTION=67296]Laurefindel[/MENTION]'s

I think it would improve the beastmaster because it would show the baseline power of the pet if it belonged to the party's rogue, and then we could all actually see how the beastmaster's pet-related features are improvements to the pet, and by just how much.

Plus, it'd be clear that you don't have to be a beastmaster to have a pet.

Hussar

Legend
Do I have this straight?

WotC made a horrible mistake with the Beastmaster class. To fix that mistake, they need to make the pet as durable as a PC and deal equal damage to what a PC can. Additionally, in order to fix this mistake, they should put a disclaimer on the class that this class is totally unbalanced and you can only play it if your DM okays it.

Is that about right?
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION], you actually expect WotC to publish something like this? Seriously?

Laurefindel

Legend
I made a comment similar to @Laurefindel's

I think it would improve the beastmaster because it would show the baseline power of the pet if it belonged to the party's rogue, and then we could all actually see how the beastmaster's pet-related features are improvements to the pet, and by just how much.

This exactly,

If it had been made clear that only intelligent creatures (INT 5 and up) act on their own turn and have their own actions, but that animals...

a) act on their master's turn
b) require that their master take an action to command them anything else than movement (possibly with an animal handling check)

...then the beastmaster's feature would immediately look more impressive. Otherwise, we can only compare the animal companion to a familiar or a summoned creature, both of which look superior to the animal companion.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Do I have this straight?

WotC made a horrible mistake with the Beastmaster class. To fix that mistake, they need to make the pet as durable as a PC and deal equal damage to what a PC can. Additionally, in order to fix this mistake, they should put a disclaimer on the class that this class is totally unbalanced and you can only play it if your DM okays it.

Is that about right?

@CapnZapp, you actually expect WotC to publish something like this? Seriously?

I think their is room for a middle ground here. If the Beastmaster sub-class could provide enough HP (Base+half ranger HP), so that the companion doesn't become a liability at higher levels because enemies can easily one shot it resulting in it being in effective while at the same time they lose a major subclass feature that might be in its place otherwise, is 100% reasonable. I think even in WOW though took an approach that your companion had a job that wasn't always doing tons of damage. If their were companion paths:

1. Melee Tank: provided an AC bonus, damage resistance bonus similar to rage, and an ability like sentinel where attacks of opportunity stop the targets movement.

2. Ranged/Caster hunter: Give the companion resistance to all magic and piercing damage, double speed, and any attack by and enemy targeting someone not in melee other than the companion with a ranged attack or spell gives that target 3/4 Cover bonus of +5 (so not stackable with other cover, but advantage/disadvantage still apply because that would suck for rogues) and +2 to save roll against that enemies spells.

3. Scout: innate speak with animals for the ranger with this companion, the ability to see through the eyes/hear through the companion, and +10 health

4. Combat: Pact Tactics, the companion grants the ranger advantage on attacks against targets engaged in its treat range and if the Ranger attacks an enemy, the companion has advantage on attacks against that enemy on its next turn.

None of these make the companion do character equivalent damage or health but are useful to the ranger for the whole game. I personally believe the pets should not be given damage bonus, despite WOW examples CapnZapp mentioned, in D&D I expect the ranger to do the killing and the companions to simple be a tool of advantage. I would also add two rules..

1. Pets do get their own turns (acton, bonus action, reaction). You still need to order them to attack specific enemies or not too, but if the ranger is attacked the companion will engage the first attacking enemy without a command and move on to the next enemy to attack the ranger once their current target is dead.

2. Rangers get a resurrection ritual that takes 1 hour, to bring their companion back similar to Warlocks familiar. Otherwise rangers players get attached and afraid to use them hurting the class instead of helping it because their are protecting their class feature for advantage instead of utilizing it.

That's my openion, take it for what its worth.

<Edited for better phrasing. It was kind of painful to read and hard to understand. Hopefully I cleaned it up a bit.>

Last edited:

Great usage of deductive reasoning.

Now, how many people playing fighter, rogues, and clerics would like to play a ranger but don't because they think the ranger is too weak?
These would probably be among the 10% of fans in 2015 who decided the ranger was underpowered. A percentage that has only gone down. But said 10% would also include people who never liked the ranger and would be unhappy with any implementation of the class and people who don’t like rangers who casts spells and won’t be happy with any spellcaster rangers.

So, the percentage that might play a variant range is inherently <10%

But this is also a potential audience. They *might* play a ranger if it’s changed. But they also might not. And it’s favouring them instead of the people actually playing a ranger, who may not play an altered ranger.

How many people play the ranger once, are dissatisfied, and never play it again.
Apparently less than the people who play the other four classes less popular than the ranger.
Shouldn’t those be a higher focus?
(It’s almost as if most players care about other factors than inherent class power.)

How many people are "satisfied" with the ranger, but would really like it to be just a bit more powerful
That’s not a useful statement.
How many people are satisfied with any class but would really like it to be a bit more powerful? I don’t think anyone would complain about more power.
Well... players who are primarily concerned about combat power at least. Which is not everyone.

Plus, it’s not like the ranger class is bottom of the power rankings. It has the lowest ranked subclass, but others subclasses do just fine.
And there is always going to be a subclass at the bottom. You could double the power level of the beast master and people would just find the next lowest subclass and gripe about that instead. Trying to balance all subclasses is and endless task.

Just because you can figure there are 900,000 people who might be happy with the ranger as is, doesn't mean there are 2 million people who aren't. If I'm supposed to bow to the weight of hundreds of thousands of satisfied fans, should they bow to the weight of a million dissatisfied fans?
True.
But it also doesn’t mean there’s only 5000 people who aren’t happy. Should we bow to the weight of 5000 dissatisfied fans?

We don’t know the full numbers. But WotC does. And they decided that the ratio of unhappy fans in 2015 was worth doing something about, but the ratio of unhappy fans in 2017 and 2018 changes the dynamic and was not worth doing something about.

Yes, the totally number of unhappy fans has not changed, but the number of happy fans has grown substantially, and the ratio is different.

Because, using your own numbers, if even .1% of the players who play other classes (13.75 million) are dissatisfied with the ranger, you are looking a 1.375 million people.
0.1% of 13.75 million is only 13,750 people.

Personally, I do think the beasts of the beast master are a little weak.

First, they get 4 hp per level. Regardless of Con. But expected monster damage per CR increases by 5 each level, so the beast gets more fragile each level. Plus, it relies on the external healing, as it’s hit points go up, but not it’s Hit Dice. So it can’t heal between fights.

The easy fix is to let beasts add their hit points to Constitution, which makes the beast at least in line with the wizard in hp. Plus, the should get a bonus Hit Dice each level, which can be used to help during short rests.
Right away that fixes most of the issues with beasts, and is a pretty small house rule.

It might also be nice to let them boost an ability score with the ranger, which lets beasts be slightly customized. But that’s more of a change...

Chaosmancer

Legend
I made a comment similar to [MENTION=67296]Laurefindel[/MENTION]'s

This exactly,

If it had been made clear that only intelligent creatures (INT 5 and up) act on their own turn and have their own actions, but that animals...

a) act on their master's turn
b) require that their master take an action to command them anything else than movement (possibly with an animal handling check)

...then the beastmaster's feature would immediately look more impressive. Otherwise, we can only compare the animal companion to a familiar or a summoned creature, both of which look superior to the animal companion.

I think your solution there Laurefindel is bad on a few levels.

My biggest is wondering if you have thought through saying all creatures with an intelligence of less than 5 are unable to take actions. Because as soon as you do that, you might as well delete quite a few iconic creatures from the Monster Manual. A rule such as that would be completely unsustainable.

And follow this by what it would look like for a DM designing an encounter. Let us say, a handful of Orcs in the mountains with pair of Dire Wolves they use for hunting. Not a terribly unreasonable encounter, but suddenly, if a DM is to be fair, their must be two orcs whose sole job is to command the Wolves to take their actions. And if the orcs are killed off, the wolves only option is to run away, because they suddenly can no longer fight.

Heck, a classic "pit trap filled with snakes" would be completely harmless, because the snakes cannot attack if their is no one to tell them to attack.

This is actually a big reason why the PHB Beastmaster is so nonsensical to some people, because clearly beasts can and do attack people, and yet being a "beastmaster" makes your companion unable to act on their own in combat, while Adventure Paths are still written with monsters commanding beasts to fight, and those beasts acting entirely independently of any control.

0.1% of 13.75 million is only 13,750 people.

Sorry, bad math moment. Wrote .1% and then did the math for 10%. That was entirely my bad.

These would probably be among the 10% of fans in 2015 who decided the ranger was underpowered. A percentage that has only gone down. But said 10% would also include people who never liked the ranger and would be unhappy with any implementation of the class and people who don’t like rangers who casts spells and won’t be happy with any spellcaster rangers.

So, the percentage that might play a variant range is inherently <10%

But this is also a potential audience. They *might* play a ranger if it’s changed. But they also might not. And it’s favouring them instead of the people actually playing a ranger, who may not play an altered ranger.

I don't know where you got the number 10% of fans in 2015, I also don't like your phrasing on how they "decided" the ranger was underpowered, as though it was a nearly arbitrary choice.

The numbers I thought we were working off of are the current number of players, and the current number of players playing Rangers, but now you are talking about a group of players from 3 years ago. So, we are assuming that people's opinions haven't changed, that more people have gotten upset with the ranger, that the sentiments of those people have not spread?

I will grant you, no fix will ever be perfect, there is no silver bullet, but just because we can't fix everything doesn't mean we shouldn't try to fix anything.

Apparently less than the people who play the other four classes less popular than the ranger.
Shouldn’t those be a higher focus?
(It’s almost as if most players care about other factors than inherent class power.)

You are completely right, we should focus on them as well.

Which classes are they, why are they unpopular, what kinds of things could we do to fix them if there are legitimate problems.

Because, I think if you've been following the discussion on the Ranger you would find that a large part of the complaint is how the theme does not match the mechanics and it is far too backwards in how it approaches the beast companion. Yes, there is a mechanical argument as well about the power of the sub-class, but no solution proposed would beat out a Fighter armed with a Flametongue, or a Paladin's Smite damage Spikes or any of the other highest tiers of inherent class power.

Trying to dismiss the concerns brought out as power gaming nonsense doesn't work when the problem is not limited to how weak the beast is, but instead extends into the action economy disaster of the their implementation and how it doesn't reflect the reality of how DMs use beasts in their own encounter.

That’s not a useful statement.
How many people are satisfied with any class but would really like it to be a bit more powerful? I don’t think anyone would complain about more power.
Well... players who are primarily concerned about combat power at least. Which is not everyone.

Plus, it’s not like the ranger class is bottom of the power rankings. It has the lowest ranked subclass, but others subclasses do just fine.
And there is always going to be a subclass at the bottom. You could double the power level of the beast master and people would just find the next lowest subclass and gripe about that instead. Trying to balance all subclasses is and endless task.

It isn't a matter of who is at the bottom. At least, not to me. And it isn't all about combat power either.

A Beastmaster is fully outclassed in utility by any person who takes the Find Familiar Ritual spell. The Familiar has a telepathic link, you can see through it's eyes, it can be turned into any type of small animal that might be useful so that it can fly one day as a sparrow scouting the forest and sneak into the a bar as a rat the next, it can deliver touch spells and it has it's own initiative and takes it's own actions. This actually means there is a potential argument that Find Familiar is more useful in combat than a beast master's companion as well, since it can take the Help action to grant advantage to an ally.

The Beastmaster get's their companion 2 levels after someone can get Find Familiar, and it is far inferior as a utility option. An entire sub-class has half of it's potential usefulness outclassed by a single spell (Half because we are splitting Exploration and Combat, there are few pertinent ways to use either in Social situations).

This isn't the slippery slope of "Now the Champion does 3.5 less DPR per day than the lowest class, so we need to buff them up followed by the Paladin who then falls behind on a per week basis" This is a severe mechanical problem.

Anecdotes are what they are, I understand that, but I have yet to hold a conversation with someone outside of this website who thinks the Beastmaster Ranger is perfectly fine. In just these past two weeks I've had a player in Dischord deride another player for choosing a Ranger (because they are too weak) and a conversation in the GiTP forums were again most people giving advice on the Beastmaster were urging the player to pick an entirely different class.

But I think the core of it comes to me right here.

We don’t know the full numbers. But WotC does. And they decided that the ratio of unhappy fans in 2015 was worth doing something about, but the ratio of unhappy fans in 2017 and 2018 changes the dynamic and was not worth doing something about.

Yes, the totally number of unhappy fans has not changed, but the number of happy fans has grown substantially, and the ratio is different.

So because WoTC dragged it's feet we don't have a problem anymore? That is an absurdity to me.

CEO: "We devote ourselves to solving this problem"
Staff: "Sir, we just gained ten million new players, that changes our dissatisfaction rating to less than 30%"
CEO: "Great, no need to fix those problems then"

I understand, they are a business, they need to make money, and therefore they should only care about 55% of their audience because then they get to keep being successful. But, honestly, they don't need to even print anything new. The only part about JC's tweet (the one that started this whole thread) that truly upsets me is not acknowledging that for some players, the Revised Ranger is their Ranger of choice.

"Due to shifts in the player base we are no longer going to devote resources to working on the Revised Ranger, but it is still available for those who prefer to use it." would have been received a lot better by me personally, instead we got dismissed. There was never a problem, despite their research saying there was a problem and their solution only fueled the illusion of a problem, so they are glad to kill it off and move on.

*sarcastic rant*
Well, at least now I know, can't just sit around and wait for them to finish any of the projects they started. Player base might change and they decide it isn't worth it anymore. Want a better version of the Mystic, contact them constantly about doing it now, because if you wait a year, more people might join the game who aren't aware of the mystic and the percentage of people looking forward to it will drop beneath levels worth bothering about. I mean, we all want the game to grow and expand and reach new audiences so they can share in our love for this game, but we've got to make sure everything gets fixed first, that way the new players won't skew things so that WoTC shuts down and stops producing the content we want now. /End Sarcastic Rant

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Personally, I do think the beasts of the beast master are a little weak.

First, they get 4 hp per level. Regardless of Con. But expected monster damage per CR increases by 5 each level, so the beast gets more fragile each level. Plus, it relies on the external healing, as it’s hit points go up, but not it’s Hit Dice. So it can’t heal between fights.

The easy fix is to let beasts add their hit points to Constitution, which makes the beast at least in line with the wizard in hp. Plus, the should get a bonus Hit Dice each level, which can be used to help during short rests.
Right away that fixes most of the issues with beasts, and is a pretty small house rule.

It might also be nice to let them boost an ability score with the ranger, which lets beasts be slightly customized. But that’s more of a change...

Yeah.

The only design flaw in the Beastmaster for me is that beasts are constrained to 1/4 CR but some of their stats are fixed or changed universally by the class.

Set HP and no multiattack favours beasts that have low HP and a single attack for their 1/4 CR.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
So my only problem with Rangers really is that I could not build a descent two-weapon fighting build. This is admittedly an annoyance for me because I played a 2 handed ranger in 3.5 that was awesome and have a bit of nostalgia there, but it picked it then because I did and still feel that the two-weapon fighting always was a symbolic ranger thing in side and outside of D&D. INFACT, they still get it as a fighting style in this edition too.

They added some things like Zephyr strike that look like they are for Ranger melee moving in and out of enemies but on further inspection it only works on one attack and can be use with a ranged weapon making it a great spell for an archer to stay at ranged but not really that good in melee since its one strike and concentration.

Hunter's mark is your mult-hit go to spell but that's it and it doesn't scale, rangers don't really get a melee smite or anything that really lets them evoke more damage from multiple attacks, and even giving them booming blade or green flame blade only makes them descent at one weapon fighting.

Absorb Elements - Scales, melee weapons, single attack (multiple attacks allow more chances to trigger, the need to get hit with elemental damage makes it unreliable at best, many elemental casters are immune/resistant to the elemental damage type they cast, and since 2/3 of your attacks are coming from Extra attack, you will usually have triggered before your 3rd swing. This making the times when you can use the spell, have a target it will actually damage, and miss twice but hit the third time negligible. Best to consider it a defense spell for the resistance.)

Ensnaring Strike - Scales, all weapons, single attack (multiple attacks allow more chances to trigger, but the one hit limit + the bonus action casting stops the off hand in the same turn you cast it and with two hits from extra attack your better off focusing on bow or single sword)

Conjure Barrage - Doesn't scale, thrown melee or ammunition, single attack (does not allow bonus action offhand attack because its a spell, but you could use a dagger one handed thrown and be just ass effective as an archer)

Conjure Volley - Basically the same as conjure Barrage but higher level damage and a vertical cylinder instead of a cone. Throw a dagger or an Arrow.

Steel Wind Strike - Doesn't scale, melee weapon, single attack (does not allow bonus action offhand attack because its a spell, but requires 1 melee weapon which one main hand melee weapon fulfils.)

-So the ONLY ranger spells, class, or subclass features that I can find that work with the base class Two-weapon fighting style are:

Hex - per hit +1d6 damage (doesn't scale)

Gloom Stalker -> Umbral sight (lvl 3), invisible to darkvision could mean all 3 attacks at advantage. Not useful during the day or if even one enemy (or your party member) brought a light source.

Gloom Stalker -> Stalker's Furry (lvl 11), three chances to miss makes getting another attempt to hit on miss more likely to trigger. While not adding to damage max, damage reliability is welcome. It also, does not require you to use your reaction.

Monster Hunter -> Slayer's Prey (lvl 3), one target per short rest +1d6 per hit that stacks with hex.

All of this said, unless I missed something, two-weapon fight style for rangers as they are is a bit of "trap choice" where you look at the first 3 levels and think, "a two sword wielding ranger? Awesome!" only to find regret. Is it soo much to ask that they make one subclass for two weapon fighting rangers like previous additions?

Laurefindel

Legend
I think your solution there Laurefindel is bad on a few levels.

My biggest is wondering if you have thought through saying all creatures with an intelligence of less than 5 are unable to take actions. Because as soon as you do that, you might as well delete quite a few iconic creatures from the Monster Manual. A rule such as that would be completely unsustainable.

And follow this by what it would look like for a DM designing an encounter. Let us say, a handful of Orcs in the mountains with pair of Dire Wolves they use for hunting. Not a terribly unreasonable encounter, but suddenly, if a DM is to be fair, their must be two orcs whose sole job is to command the Wolves to take their actions. And if the orcs are killed off, the wolves only option is to run away, because they suddenly can no longer fight.

Heck, a classic "pit trap filled with snakes" would be completely harmless, because the snakes cannot attack if their is no one to tell them to attack.

Yeah, that’s when you have to differentiate between a wild animal and a character’s pet (read monster vs PC asset); the two won’t follow the same rules. This would not be the first and only asymmetrical element of 5e actually.

«but that’s completely meta, why would a beast play differently once it has a PC master !?! » you would say. You’d be right, it is very metagame-y, but no less than the present Animal Companion rules to be honest.

I’m not trying to backtrack what WotC has published; all I’m saying is that if this had been the rule from the beginning, then the PHB beastmaster would appear like an improvement on the base rule. That’s the only point I’m trying to convey.

Last edited:

Remove ads