WotC Considering NPC Stat Format Change

This started with a comment about D&D formatting errors by James Introcaso (the comment, not the errors) on Twitter, and WotC's Chris Perkins joined in. Other quickly chimed in with further questions.

Chris_Perkins.jpg

James:
When you write an NPC's statistics in parentheses next to their name, it should look like this: NAME (ABBREVIATED ALIGNMENT SEX OR GENDER SUBRACE RACE STATISTICS). e.g. Fireface McDragon (LG female mountain dwarf knight)

Perkins: We’re thinking about dispensing with that format and writing out the information in sentence form using no alignment abbreviations. Example: Borf is a chaotic neutral, non-binary shield dwarf berserker with darkvision out to a range of 60 feet.

Crows Bring the Spring: Can I inquire why adding the blurb about dark vision is included in that line? Makes it feel rather lengthy.

Perkins: It doesn’t have to be there. It could also be replaced with something else, such as the languages Borf speaks, if that’s more important. Racial traits and other useful info could be presented as separate, full sentences.

Hannah Rose: What’s motivating this possible change? The ability to transition into modifications to a stat block without saying “with the following changes”?

Perkins: Our intention is to make books that are gorgeous, thoughtfully organized, fun to read, and easy for DMs/players of all experience levels to use.

Guillermo Garrido: Do you playtest these changes by different levels of players/DMs before widespread use of the new language?

Perkins: We playtest everything.

[MENTION=6785802]guachi[/MENTION] DID say, “his conversion”, not his 1e prep notes. If it is a 5e conversion, i’d Be interested in seeing one of his more complex liner notes for monsters (in a spoiler block if anyone is concerned with spoilers).
Take and cropping screenshots from my MM, I can fit all six statblocks into a page-and-a-half. I could probably cut-and-paste from the SRD as easily and shrink down the font to get them all on one page. That's an easy module, with so few critters.

Reynard

Legend
Is this really still true, though? I know back when they were putting out a hardcover and a bunch of soft covers every month, this was actually true; however, with so few releases per year and all the focus on mainly adventure content, I think more people are actually PLAYING with this material, than just consuming for pleasure reading.

I'm no expert but I found Storm King's Thunder completely opaque and had a terrible time trying to run it. Dragonheist isn't much better, but that's mostly because it is a bad module.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm no expert but I found Storm King's Thunder completely opaque and had a terrible time trying to run it. Dragonheist isn't much better, but that's mostly because it is a bad module.

Thing is, there are millions of people actively playing D&D currently (something like 12 to 15 million last surveys) - I really doubt the majority are just reading and not playing the released material. back when it was more like 3 to 4 million active players about 15 to 20 years ago, i could see a bunch of DMs just reading and shelving the stuff. I can't speak to Storm King's Thunder -- Out of the Abyss was pretty good, actually, as we Curse of Strahd and Tomb of Annihilation, and I'm running Dragon Heist just fine right now -- admittedly, i'm putting my own spin on it, but that's how it's meant to be run.

This is not to Reynard personally, but just to the thought of collectibility -- if people really are just buying it to read and shelve it, and not give ideas or actual play time, IMO it's a terrible idea to lean into that, it would be better to improve playability and PREP USEFULNESS. As above with the car example, it's like buying a pretty oven mitt that is combustible, or buying a beautiful set of pots and pans that are not rated for cooking with. I find it just... silly, I can't help my opinion. I have NEVER knowingly bought something that looked cool that couldn't fulfill its original purpose for me. My Limited Edition Monopoly set has been played with, my vintage cast iron skillet still fries things and gets seasoned, My limited edition Art and Arcana set has been read cover to cover (and not reverently) and my Limited Edition Dice get played with on regular rotation.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Take and cropping screenshots from my MM, I can fit all six statblocks into a page-and-a-half. I could probably cut-and-paste from the SRD as easily and shrink down the font to get them all on one page. That's an easy module, with so few critters.

Much appreciated; I'm also looking for [MENTION=6785802]guachi[/MENTION] 's input, because like him, I'm also one who finds trying to flip through three or four books while playing at the table WAAAY more trouble than it's worth, and have to go through the inconvenient step of extracting stat blocks when making prep notes for play, and wished the adventures that are sold were more ready for prep work than just one bolded word, even if additional adventure content were sacrificed, or a higher price tag were required. I'm in the minority, I know, but I like good tips to speed up table play when I can find them. A lot of the prep aids such as D&D Beyond haven't helped much (at least from the limited demos I've tried) and I always enjoy more.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I have a shelf full of 5E adventures (all of them except Ravnica -- no interest in that one), and haven't run any of them. I've read them though. As for cars, I saw a 2007 Shelby GT500 for sale at a local dealership 4 years ago (iirc). It had less than 30,000 miles on it. I think they drove it out and listened to the radio on weekends. Occasionally :D

Isn't that reminiscent of that old saying about the two happiest days for most boat owners? :)

Much appreciated; I'm also looking for @guachi 's input, because like him, I'm also one who finds trying to flip through three or four books while playing at the table WAAAY more trouble than it's worth, and have to go through the inconvenient step of extracting stat blocks when making prep notes for play, and wished the adventures that are sold were more ready for prep work than just one bolded word, even if additional adventure content were sacrificed, or a higher price tag were required. I'm in the minority, I know, but I like good tips to speed up table play when I can find them. A lot of the prep aids such as D&D Beyond haven't helped much (at least from the limited demos I've tried) and I always enjoy more.
A tablet helps.

the SRD ( http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd ) is useful. But copying the text can be annoying as the formatting doesn't transfer when you cut-and-paste.

Both D&D Beyond and Roll20 have the SRD monsters online:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/ogre
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Ogre
It's easy enough to pull those up on an iPad. Or cut-and-paste them using Window's Snipping Tool then print out.

For other monsters, every smartphone is basically a scanner that fits in your pocket. Put the book in an area of bright but non-direct light and snap a pic of the monster's statblock. Crop out the rest of the page and email (or dropbox) the file to yourself. Collect the images in a Google Docs or Word document. Print. You're golden.

Personally, I tend to just use bookmarks. I did three bookmarks that are all covered in random names. I use them to mark needed pages in monster books. (Because I paid for the dead tree copy, so I want to use it.) And when I need a random NPC name, I pull out a bookmark and grab a name from that, the scratch it out.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I think it has to be a thing in 5e. I mean, "gorgeous" isn't really high on the list of things necessary to run an adventure. And I find 5e adventure books terribly laid out and not at all easy to use.

So I assume WOTC's primary purpose with their adventure books isn't for people to actually run them.

Actually with Dragon Heist they really nailed it. Hard to run *and* hard to read! ;)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Why not just have perforated cards in back with stats on them so you can remove and keep handy with all information. No need to put any thing other than name as all on card in back of adventure or book.

I would buy that accessory!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I sincerely hope they don't make the proposed changes. Stat blocks are meant to relay a lot of information quickly and easily with a scan and not word-by-word reading.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases