D&D 5E WotC will not allow translation of D&D NEXT.

Mirtek

Hero
In Germany WotC's pulling the plug from the German translation due to unrealistic profit expectations has all but killed the recruiment of new players. Especially with Pathfinder having over 200 German products (and even a German SRD) available.

aramis erak

Legend
I have the D&D Black Box in Danish (I think it's called that) with the red dragon on the cover. It wasn't a bad translation, but getting the English books was a startling revelation into everything that was missing all the same. :)

I have a Danish system book called VP (Via Prudensia) and it's a nifty little game. GURPS-ish.

The black basic box was (in the US, at least) the 1990's one with all the paper minis... is that the one y'all got? if so, it was intentionally missing a lot...

Ricochet

Explorer
Yep, that's the one. Paper minis, and two quite thick booklets with index cards for a bunch of rules and play tips and such, a sample "dungeon" map and a few handouts iirc.

As for the German market: That one is very special. Germans translate everything. Everything! TV shows, movies, books, everything is translated for the German consumers. French market is sort of the same but not quite as thorough.

aramis erak

Legend
Yep, that's the one. Paper minis, and two quite thick booklets with index cards for a bunch of rules and play tips and such, a sample "dungeon" map and a few handouts iirc.
That one's supposed to have been the basic set leading to the Cyclopedia. Only covers to level 5, only the 7 core classes for Cyclopedia. It's a decent starter kit.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I've heard there is a fantastic Spanish game based on the Basic/Expert set that greatly expands that game and includes fantastic artwork. I vaguely recall an English translation kickstarter for it?

Loki-lie-Smith

Explorer
I've heard there is a fantastic Spanish game based on the Basic/Expert set that greatly expands that game and includes fantastic artwork. I vaguely recall an English translation kickstarter for it?

Adventures on the East Mark (Aventuras en la Marca del Este). Great game. Exquisite Art. Beautiful box. Expensive.

Henry

Autoexreginated

As for the German market: That one is very special. Germans translate everything. Everything! TV shows, movies, books, everything is translated for the German consumers. French market is sort of the same but not quite as thorough.

Actually that brings up a different question to me: Is Das Schwarze Auge still the biggest game in the market in Germany these days? I've always heard it eclipsed D&D in Germany, but since the advent of Pathfinder I've not heard it mentioned as much.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Actually that brings up a different question to me: Is Das Schwarze Auge still the biggest game in the market in Germany these days? I've always heard it eclipsed D&D in Germany, but since the advent of Pathfinder I've not heard it mentioned as much.

Considering that one publisher (Ulysses Spiele) does both systems, but Das Schwarze Auge is owned by them, it's quite natural that Pathfinder won't overtake Das Schwarze Auge. The markets for D&D and DSA were pretty much exclusive anyway, so no harm done.

Mirtek

Hero
In Germany since the 80s the RPG market has been DSA, a long time nothing, then simply "rest" Pathfinder has taken over D&D's old place (with D&D all but dying out after losing too many grognards - who happened to provide most of DMs and Organizers and then adding insult to injury by having the plug pulled from the German translation which all but killed recruiting of new players to make up for the people having left to Pathfinder). That means second place or from time to time third place if some temporary fad gives some other RPG it's "five minutes of fame". In any case second place means barely seeing the rear lamps of DSA so far ahead.

I really can't nail it down why it's this way, just somehow DSA hits some special German nerve or mentality that makes it so hugely popular in Germany but bombing everywhere else.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases