D&D 5E SKT: The Uthgardt and Modern Sensibilities

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
That would be cool. Will they all be evil dragons? I could see some good dragons having some, and the PCs having to negotiate / convince the dragon to relinquish the artifact to them.

Very clever, but if you think about it, it's the same issue isn't it? - except no dragons in the real world will get offended (that we know of)

UnknownDyson

Explorer
The point about virtue-signalling is the empathy is not for those who actually stand to be harmed by a situation, but for the other bystanders and what they think about it.

The goal here is not to help Native Americans, but to show off the subtlety of your sensibilities to other white people.

Thus it's is more like a modern permutation of baroque WASPy social etiquette than moral reasoning grounded in actual human suffering. It becomes grotesque when taken too seriously.

I guess you're assuming that everyone here is white, and that noone present truly cares about being empathetic towards minorities except to seem more personable to other white people? Is that really what you're saying?

Last edited:

Wiseblood

Adventurer
To the OP: Would the Uthgardt object to the raiding? If so how and why?

Do the PCs object to the raiding? If so how and why?

Remember the PCs are the characters supposedly in the setting. The point is, there should be tension especially in roleplaying. It is the DMs job to provide the world not to protect the players from questions of ethics.

Yes! As I mentioned in the OP, I think Beorunna's Well is quite cool. The rest of them are fairly meh. If I were to just send them to one mound, it would be that one.

That would be cool. Will they all be evil dragons? I could see some good dragons having some, and the PCs having to negotiate / convince the dragon to relinquish the artifact to them.

Beorunna's Well also has the benefit of being an iconic location in the Realms, while the other burial mounds are not. So that's cool.

In regard to using good dragons...I hadn't thought of that, but it's an interesting idea. You could probably tie it back to Felagos (spelling?), the good dragon flitting around SKT, or even Klauth. In my campaign, Imryth is the big bad guy, and she leads a whole clan of dragons that the PCs must overcome. At low levels, the PCs will fight her children. At mid-levels, the PCs will fight her consorts--these are the dragons that replace the burial mound fetch quests. And at high levels, the players will fight Imryth herself. At least, that's the plan. The PCs are 4th level and are probably a few more sessions away from having to face their very first dragon.

pukunui

Legend
Very clever, but if you think about it, it's the same issue isn't it?
How so?

Beorunna's Well also has the benefit of being an iconic location in the Realms, while the other burial mounds are not. So that's cool.

In regard to using good dragons...I hadn't thought of that, but it's an interesting idea. You could probably tie it back to Felagos (spelling?), the good dragon flitting around SKT, or even Klauth. In my campaign, Imryth is the big bad guy, and she leads a whole clan of dragons that the PCs must overcome. At low levels, the PCs will fight her children. At mid-levels, the PCs will fight her consorts--these are the dragons that replace the burial mound fetch quests. And at high levels, the players will fight Imryth herself. At least, that's the plan. The PCs are 4th level and are probably a few more sessions away from having to face their very first dragon.
Cool. Something to think about. Thanks.

Alexemplar

First Post
I guess you're assuming that everyone here is white, and that noone present truly cares about being empathetic towards minorities except to seem more personable to other white people? Is that really what you're saying?

There's also the implication (and later, the assertion) that public displays of sympathy or vocal support for others is self serving because it in no way benefits others. That's just not true. While one can certainly always do more, and sympathy/vocal support is about the barest minimum one can do in terms of support, many people do appreciate it and it can have consequences.

pukunui

Legend
Dragons have a deep, almost spiritual connection to their hoards. The dragon is good-aligned and doesn't "deserve" theft. There are no real-world cultural implications however.
But I wasn't suggesting that the items be stolen from the good dragons. This would be an opportunity for the PCs to acquire the items through diplomacy rather than typical murder-hoboism. They would need to convince the good dragons' of their need for the item. Perhaps the dragon gives it to them if they promise to return it when they're finished with it. Or perhaps the PCs will have to trade for it. Good dragons can be bargained with and are willing to give up items for the greater good. Unscrupulous PCs could, of course, attempt to steal the item ... but they would most likely end up dead or with a very powerful enemy.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
When Scarlett Johansson was cast in that Ghost in the Shell movie, people got mad because the character was meant to be Asian, even though it's a fictional story. Same with that movie that Emma Stone is in where she's playing a half-Chinese person. People called that "white-washing".

I think the reason a lot of (but perhaps not all) people got angry over this was because there are already a large number of roles that will always go to white actors, and far fewer roles that call for non-white actors, so when casting happens like in those two examples members of minorities feel like they have been marginalized so a white person can have *another* role.

Also, it's not that far back that white actors wearing face paint would act in horribly racist stereotypes.

Regarding the Uthgardt, I like that they make me think about how all of humanity descends from tribal cultures that in fact had a lot of similarities to the aboriginal cultures that were "discovered" more recently in history.

I personally don't think I'd shy away from this in my game. I might even highlight it further.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I feel that a good and interesting game or story, should have moments of conflict like this. No, it isn't particularly heroic, and yes, it is very questionable morally. Without these kind of conflicts for the characters to deal with, you can lose out on development of those characters.

That isn't to say that I can't draw similar conclusions or parallels as have been mentioned here. I just think that if you PC everything, and make the characters objectively always good and always heroic, it can make for a bland story. If that is the audience and the game that you want however, more power to you.

Remove ads