What is *worldbuilding* for?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] has already nicely covered some things I would otherwise have said, so I'm just going to hit a few specific points here...
Yes it does. At a minimum, it requires the GM to establish situations which permit the player to paint a picture of his/her character that is clear and powerful; which permit the player to express his/her PC's personality, interest and agenda.

This is why, for instance, one might open a campaign with the PC in a bazaar with an angel feather being offered for sale - this permits the player to paint a clear and powerful picture of his PC, expressing the PC's interest and agenda - rather than in a "neutral" setting where the first action declaration ("I look around for a bazaar") doesn't really do any of those things at all.

What does this rogue think and feel? What is his/her agenda? Why is s/he trying to get into the castle? What might s/he sacrifice to do so?

The situation you describe does not involve advocacy of the sort that Eero Tuovinen talks about. As you present it, there is barely a character there at all!
Well, let's face it - it's not very often that much characterization comes out of what are in effect largely mechanical action declarations. "This is a logical place for a secret door so I'll search for one" tells us maybe a bit about the character, but mostly that's just a simple Search declaration - not much in it; and it's unfair to point at this as a reason for any lack of characterization or personality.

What we don't see in this example is all the lead-up showing how the rogue got to this point. The agenda and reasons for being here would very likely have long since been established. What the rogue thinks and feels at that particular moment would of course be up to the player to narrate on the fly, should she so desire; as would the decision of what if anything to sacrifice or trade off in order to achieve her immediate goal of stealthily getting into the castle.

On a broader scale, characterization and personality mostly tends to develop during what we might consider as "downtime": while sitting around the campfire getting to know the other PCs, or via things done while in town between adventures. Maxperson's wine-guzzling Dwarf is a fine example - the whole wine business is rarely if ever going to come up while in the field, but it's known to be an ongoing part of the Dwarf's character.

Eero Tuovinen distinguishes advocacy (broadly, first person inhabitation of the PC) from authorship (broadly, thining about the PC as a protagonist in a story). This has no bearing on action resolution. Nowhere does he say that players can't declare actions which might succeed!
Agreed.

By talking about "1st level characters" you're already assuming a particular sort of RPG system.
There's very few if any RPGs out there where the characters don't in some mechanical form get better at what they do over the course of their careers; and "1st-level characters" is as good a term as any to represent those who are just starting out on their career/path/journey/whatever.

It is part and parcel of agreeing to play a D&D game (or a game with a similar level device) that story elements are, in some fashion, level-relative.
Maybe, maybe not. In an open sandbox-style game the PCs/players might blunder into something that's nowhere near level-appropriate!

The reason why the rogue failed is really irrelevant here with regard to player agency. Whether the GM knew ahead of time, decided it in the moment, or it was the result of a failed skill check, it just doesn't matter.
It may not matter to you. It is fundamental to me.
And this is something I just don't understand no matter how you try to explain it: why does it matter?

Imagine we were talking about a combat between the rogue and the orc - and that you posted "The reason why the orc killed the rogue doesn't matter - maybe because the GM got lucky in the combat rolls, maybe because the GM decided on the spot that the orc was a better fighter than the rogue, maybe because the GM had written that down ahead of time." I think most RPGers would actually dispute that claim.

Well, I dispute it in the case of the secret door for exactluy the same reason. Given that the principal activity of RPGing is sitting around telling one another made-up stuff, the question of who gets to make up which stuff is fundamental.
In most RPGs combat mechanics are more or less vastly different from exploration mechanics and-or social mechanics; and any attempt to unify the three things into one overarching set of mechanics is an absolute mistake, and doomed to failure.

The players get to make up stuff about their characters, and the DM gets to make up stuff about the world those characters inhabit. Seems simple enough to me. :)

I can tell you why I don't think it can be done with the Caves as written - because (with the possible exception of the cutlist cave) they don't engage with any dramatic needs nor express any thematic content.
Well, that might depend on the specific goals the players set out. If, for example, a player set out pacifism between races as a goal, a DM might introduce the Caves as a shining example of a situation where multiple races of sentient creatures live more or less peacefully in the same small valley...and theat player's/PC's challenge would then become one of stopping the party from killing everything in there. :)

Lanefan

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Yes it does. At a minimum, it requires the GM to establish situations which permit the player to paint a picture of his/her character that is clear and powerful; which permit the player to express his/her PC's personality, interest and agenda.

This is why, for instance, one might open a campaign with the PC in a bazaar with an angel feather being offered for sale - this permits the player to paint a clear and powerful picture of his PC, expressing the PC's interest and agenda - rather than in a "neutral" setting where the first action declaration ("I look around for a bazaar") doesn't really do any of those things at all.

What does this rogue think and feel? What is his/her agenda? Why is s/he trying to get into the castle? What might s/he sacrifice to do so?

The situation you describe does not involve advocacy of the sort that Eero Tuovinen talks about. As you present it, there is barely a character there at all!

Eero Tuovinen distinguishes advocacy (broadly, first person inhabitation of the PC) from authorship (broadly, thining about the PC as a protagonist in a story). This has no bearing on action resolution. Nowhere does he say that players can't declare actions which might succeed!

By talking about "1st level characters" you're already assuming a particular sort of RPG system.

It is part and parcel of agreeing to play a D&D game (or a game with a similar level device) that story elements are, in some fashion, level-relative. In the "story now" context, this makes long-term pacing a signifcant element of play; and its workability depends upon there being appropriate ways at all levels for the players to engage their dramatic needs at al levels of play in a way that both maintains verisimilitude while not making the later levels of play redundant. This is a non-trivial design challenge. Of level-based games that I'm familiar with (which are D&D and its variants, T&T, RM and DW) I think 4e really pulls this off the best, because of its thorough integration of mechanics with cosmology via the "tiers of play". (Though I may be being unfair to DW here - I don't have the best handle on exactly how its level advancement works.)

Of course not; not every move in a game is guaranteed to succeed. But failure because the GM decided that the fiction was otherwise certainly does.

In your example, the rogue player's contribution is to say "I search carefully." And then to ask the GM to relate a few things that the GM has authored. That is extremely modest agency. The rogue player didn't actually establish any fiction except a few facts about mental states and bodily movements of his PC, which ended up having no impact on the actual state of the game.

The reason why the rogue failed is really irrelevant here with regard to player agency. Whether the GM knew ahead of time, decided it in the moment, or it was the result of a failed skill check, it just doesn't matter.
It may not matter to you. It is fundamental to me.

Imagine we were talking about a combat between the rogue and the orc - and that you posted "The reason why the orc killed the rogue doesn't matter - maybe because the GM got lucky in the combat rolls, maybe because the GM decided on the spot that the orc was a better fighter than the rogue, maybe because the GM had written that down ahead of time." I think most RPGers would actually dispute that claim.

Well, I dispute it in the case of the secret door for exactluy the same reason. Given that the principal activity of RPGing is sitting around telling one another made-up stuff, the question of who gets to make up which stuff is fundamental.

I ask again, have you done it?

I can tell you why I don't think it can be done with the Caves as written - because (with the possible exception of the cutlist cave) they don't engage with any dramatic needs nor express any thematic content.

Maybe someone could take one of the orc caves and do the same thing to it as I've done with the cultists - turn it into the site of activity in a game in which war with the orcs is an underlying premise. But that wouldn't be to use the module in anything like the way it is is written or presented for play. (The contrast with Night's Dark Terror, by the way, is very marked here. The goblin caves in that game are very different in this respect, and lend themselves much more straightforwardly to "story now" RPGing - for a start because they are smaller, and separate, and so can be played with a thematic dynamism that doesn't risk swamping the PCs nor turning the thing into a purely operational/logistical slugfest.)

Or you could read the post I linked to - then you'd actually be able to learn what happened instead of making it up!

The issue is not whether the story is compelling or not. It's that what you're describing here does not fit the model.

You have not identified any scenes framed to speak to your PCs' dramatic needs (a fighter who wants to test his skill and help clear the region of monsters in the hopes he'll be able to one day build his own keep, a wizard is looking for some rare ingredients and components, a cleric wants to aid his friend the fighter in his quest, and a thief who is a childhood friend looking for a way to fast riches with little work). Your chapters 1, 2 and 4 contains nothing that speaks to any of this. And nor does your chapter 3 - just one sign of this is your use of the plural pronoun ("they conceal their treasure", they lie about the caves, etc - how does lying about the caves even fit with the agenda of the fighter and cleric? and where is the mage's agenda in all this?).

And that's before we get to any discussion of consequences, and how these might be established given the mechanical and fictional components of the module.

To get "story now" play out of the Caves of Chaos would require a complete rewriting from the bottom up.

OK. Part of my issue is the fact that I still don't think Agency is a good term because it can mean too many things to too many people. In my comments, I was referring to agency as what the player is allowed to do within the context of the game.

So when the rules allow something, and the DM blocks the ability to use that. In most cases people complain about this when the DM alters the rules because they've decided something is too powerful. This is fine before players make their characters, but if somebody has been playing a character for several levels, and was looking forward to using that ability. It's simply referring to the DM shifting the rules in the middle of the game. So it makes no difference what game you're playing - Snakes and Ladders, D&D, whatever. Your agency is what you are allowed to do within the rules of the game.

Obviously, this isn't the way everybody else is looking at it. Fair enough. Instead of a comparison of the rules of the game compared to what the DM is allowing/changing mid-game, this part of the discussion is attempting to compare the amount of different things, or the amount of control, that the player has in the game, or, if you prefer, the amount of agency they have within the game.

Here's my problem with that. The games are very complex. While one game may give more agency in the narrative, they may provide less agency in regards to character creation, mechanical options, whatever. I think it would be virtually impossible to compare whether this game provides more agency than that game, because you'd have to find some way to compare the games as a whole. Perhaps you all feel that's possible, but I'm not sure I do. That's why I've been saying that I prefer agency to be something that is related to the context of the game itself.

Having said that, I'm still just not really understanding the difference in some of our examples. I don't really care if we agree on the agency thing, but I'm interested in seeing how what I do differs from what you do. Or, more importantly, whether what you do would improve what I do.

In my campaigns, I have lots of things that are "set" in the setting. I use a lot of the published materials more or less as is. For example, places in Waterdeep that are in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. Others are things that come from earlier campaigns, since I've been running the majority of my adventures (unless we've tried something different) in this campaign since 1987. So players that have been here for earlier sessions "know" things because they've been there, or their characters still live there, etc. There are tombs where prior PCs have been buried, etc. I also have lots and lots of notes that I use as tools, to help me flesh things out while improvising. These are usually simple things that popped into mind at one point or another, and I make a note of them, and they go back decades. Most have never been used, and probably won't be.

The majority of the time, what actually happens in this campaign is developed on the fly, in response to the actions of the PCs. While some places might exist, if there has been a period of time since the last time characters were to that location, or seen that NPC, then things can/will change. That's done as a combination of what makes sense for the given person/place combined with the motivations and actions that "the NPCs and rest of the world take" in that time. Otherwise it's in direct response to the PCs. Until something actually enters the campaign, nothing is set in stone.

Most of the sessions are probably 60-80% of the players talking, whether role-playing, making decisions, taking actions, etc. The rest of the time is me responding to them, answering questions, explaining what they see, etc. My responses are based on what's going on in the campaign, what the players have said (including what their goals, motivations, etc. are), randomly determined things, or from my notes (which may or may not change at that point depending on how all that fits together in the moment).

For example, I don't get how a character can fail, if the DM doesn't have the ability to set up a situation where they might. I don't get your statement that "the rogue didn't add anything to the fiction." The example was minimal, sure, but that's not the point. Where are they lacking agency? Maybe they aren't interested in "writing" something significant in the fiction. This is also a single point of a much bigger picture, it's a part of the ongoing fiction. In my example, it was a high level look at the basic directions the players decided to go for various reasons, and the steps that led to those scenarios. For example, the rogue suggested that if others knew that the caves actually existed, and that they had found some treasure, then others would try to get to it first. So they decided to try to keep it a secret from the others in the keep for as long as they could. Secretly, though, the player of the rogue was hoping to learn more about the what's going on in the keep, figuring that there had to be some reason why the Lord hadn't taken care of things yet.

Also, your example about the DM deciding ahead of time that the orc killed the road doesn't make sense to me. There's a difference between writing whether something is there or not, and whether an orc beats you in combat. Within the rules of D&D that would clearly be taking agency away from the player.

Things that "exist" within the fictional world are one thing. The results of actions made by the players is entirely different. Yes, searching for a secret door is an action that's taken by the characters, but the expectation is that a successful result is dependent on a secret door being there in the first place. That has not been established from the character's perspective yet. In reality, when a character is searching for a secret door, it's not entirely to find it, but to determine if one even exists. The action is engaging the rules, and the result is dependent in part on the GM determining that a door actually exists. I don't really understand why it matters whether they determined it ahead of time, or in the moment, other than perhaps it helps prevent situations where the GM says "yes" and then realizes later on that there's a problem with that answer, if for no other reason that the logic of a secret door existing in that location falls apart later.

Fighting an orc is a totally different thing. The game clearly gives the player the "agency" to engage the rules to see who wins the fight. Determining the results of that ahead of time is clearly taking agency away from the player. Deciding ahead of time that the orc is a better fighter (higher level) is one thing, even overpowered which might require a different tactic or even a retreat on the part of the PCs. Yes, I get that this is providing some direction in the fiction as well, although the reactions of the players may be quite different than what the DM thinks it would be. At least that's what I've always found. Back when I was running published adventures, or writing adventures in the style of published adventures, the players always did something different, went a different direction, etc. So I've come to see my job as a DM in part as a facilitator. I describe the setting, events, and creatures, and they determine what they do, and I react to that. It's kind of the root of a TTRPG, I think. And I'm not going to say it's a "neutral" environment. I, as the DM, am neutral. But an NPC, for example, might be trying to hunt them down and kill them. The worldbuilding aspect comes into play because the framework for what the NPC is capable of doing is related to that. In some cases, such as adventuring in outer planes, the setting itself might be hostile to their survival.

Going back your complaint is that the PC will fail to find a secret door because the DM determined ahead of time that there is no secret door there. From what I understand, you're saying that the player deciding that they will search for a secret door here should be possible simply because the player has decided that it's important to the fiction at that point in time. At some point the GM, or somebody, is saying "no." No? That not everything a player decides to introduce into the fiction is actually introduced? Or they can just randomly decide that they will go collect the wand that's hidden in that tree, or the hidden cache of gold in that log, or a secret door into the armory of the king. At what point does a player go beyond their narrative agency? And who decides that? Because all of this continues to sound exactly like what Eero was warning against.

So how about this - can you start an example of how you'd start a scenario, so I (and maybe others) can respond as a character and see how this really plays out? Maybe a new thread? I participated in a thread like this for Dungeon World and it showed my how, although the mechanics were different, and how the DM adjudicated things differently, we could end up with the same results. It highlighted a few things I liked (most of which I was already doing, although didn't always recognize), and some that I didn't like in that game's design. It's not just to see how it plays out, but after each step explain to us what you're doing and how.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Nobody is 'playing your PC', you ASKED to go to the fire giant cave, so you were placed there!!!! But see below...

If I tell the DM that I want to go to a city and he places me inside a wizard tower inside that city, he has played my character. He made decisions for me on where exactly I go. The same if I say that we are going to go where the dwarves said the giants are. Saying that I'm going there does not give the DM license to just cause my character to decide to brazenly or stupidly(take your pick) walk up to a giant patrol and be seen. That isn't a choice that I made by saying that I am going to the giants.

Again, this is based on some weird and never-seen-in-the-real-world concept of Story Now. At least in the case of a D&D-like milieu where this kind of possibility is one that rational people can entertain, a GM who thrust the PCs into a situation where preparation and care would be clearly indicated and signs of trouble are at least a convention of the genre, if not outright a matter of logic, are indicated without any chance to do said prep, seems like a bad GM to me!

It's a natural consequence of a DM who will make decisions for my character if I say something like, "I will follow the directions the dwarves gave us and go to the giant's territory." Making decisions for me will force me to try and pin the DM into a box via contingencies so that I avoid the DM playing my PC.

OTOH, I can imagine where both a DM-centered game and a Story Now game would do this. Suppose the whole shtick of this vampire family is to fit in with the rest of the world and not be noticed? Maybe that's how they operate, and the whole point is "what do you do when you get dropped into castle Dracula without any prep!?" Its at least a feasible and plausible concept, so I can't categorically condemn it.

PERSONALLY I would think that sniffing out the telltale signs and showing yourselves to be alert, capable, and crafty, would be a big part of any such vampire scenario, so I'd almost undoubtedly frame scenes in which the PCs came to the local tavern of the nearest town, etc. Dark looks, strange remarks, weird happenings, telltale signs of all sorts, and possibly outright explicit warnings given in hushed tones might all happen. These are all perfectly good Story Now elements which could be framed into various prefatory scenes.

Story Now doesn't mandate that characters are simply hurled unprepared without choice into some terrible danger and ultimate crisis willy-nilly. Any such notion is incorrect.

That isn't an argument that I made. I'm not saying that they get hurled unprepared into danger willy nilly. I'm saying that if the DM is going to make decisions for your PC the way [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] did in his giants example, the players have to be okay with the DM occasionally making decisions for them, plan things out well in advance, including contingencies, or be okay interrupting the DM to re-wind the game so that they can make the decisions for themselves. None of those things really works for me.

In fact, in Story Now play, if we can examine it for a minute, we will instantly see why this wouldn't happen. For a castle full of vampires to figure in the game, there must be a character need which requires (or at least can be met by) such a thing.

In my example it was undead in the area, so the specific type was not a need for the PC. I made it more generic for a reason ;) It could be vampires, or liches, or my dear departed grammy come back to cook awesomely delicious brisket for the PCs.

Otherwise we're dealing with a character need, and probably a player "I want nasty undead" kind of agenda. The character need could be something like "I want to find the monster who took my sister and lay her to rest!" lets say. That would be a very nice BW belief that would probably lead to Castle Dracula!
Or Szass Tam's chateau. While Castle Dracula would work, it could be a variety of nasty things living in a castle.

So, now we know where we are ultimately headed, why would the GM ever simply frame you there without prep? The whole thrust of the story arc is going to be about finding out where this place is, if it even exists, how to get to it, and what sort of dangers lurk there, preparing to overcome them, etc. Visits to the actual castle could happen more than once, perhaps, depending on the details of the story, but presumably there's one big final showdown where everything comes to a head and stakes are to be distributed to undead hearts. Nobody is coming to this suaree unprepared or being scene framed there unexpectedly!

Again, if the DM isn't making decisions for the PCs like happened in the giants example, then the kind of contingency prep isn't going to be something I'm concerned about. I'll have time to react to things that come up, rather than just being placed into situations that I would have approached differently if given the option.

It was a 4e game, and I don't recall 4e saying exactly 'be an advocate for the players', but DW actually says you should be fan of the characters, that part of the GM's job is to create scenarios where they can be big heroes. Not that they have to be handed anything on a platter, just that the tools should be available for them to pick up and use.

I think this is in that vein. It isn't exactly illogical either. The RQ is invested in the success of major followers, and they need help right then. This is a solid, indirect, way for her to help herself. It is certainly plausible.

[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] has been saying, "But DM agency stops/reduces player agency!" as a response to things we author things to benefit the PCs. Now he's gone and admitted he does it, too. That's my point here. It also both blocks the PC teleport, stopping it for this act AND causes the successful act of teleporting to not be final. Both of those are things he has been chiding myself and others here for doing in our games.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I can think of many, many interests and goals that require DM help to achieve. IMO the set of such goals is significantly larger than the set of goals that don't require DM assistance. (Both being infinite, but DM-required goals are a bigger infinity).

Settling for smaller, meaner goals is certainly less trouble for the GM, and less work. Unless the player deliberately avoids any expectations for the consequences of their modest secret goals, it's entirely possible that the campaign or GM will crush them inadvertently.

Fundamentally, if I have a character with significant goals, I want the GM involved, I want him or her to give a damn, and I want the goal to mean something in the context of the campaign. If they can't deliver I can always vote with my feet.

Edit: whatever goals someone wants are fine, whatever their size, so long as they are appropriate to the circumstances. Your drunk dwarf example sure seems smaller and meaner, so to speak.

I've seen drunk PCs get hit with a variety of mechanical penalties (and sometimes bonuses) for their drunkeness. I've seen such PCs voted out of the group before. If penalties and social fallout make the character less fun to play, you might need to negotiate with the GM to keep the character playable. And we are back to needing GM cooperation to play the player goal.

Maybe we just have different definitions of DM help. Let's say my PC decides to become king of the northern barbarians. I don't need the DM's help to accomplish this goal. My PC exists. The barbarians exist. I can go there and try to become king. All I need the DM to do is adjudicate things and play the barbarians. That's not help. That's just playing the game.

Can you give me an example of things that actually require DM help to accomplish?

Aenghus

Explorer
Maybe we just have different definitions of DM help. Let's say my PC decides to become king of the northern barbarians. I don't need the DM's help to accomplish this goal. My PC exists. The barbarians exist. I can go there and try to become king. All I need the DM to do is adjudicate things and play the barbarians. That's not help. That's just playing the game.
But your PC may never get to the country, or discover the barbarians have all been enslaved and dragged to hell or whatever. In a lot of games player goals are irrelevant to the GM and there's no guarantee you will get anywhere near your goal, especially if there's some problem with telling the GM your player goals. Or maybe "Fine, your character goes off on his mission, but the game is here. What's your new character?"

Can you give me an example of things that actually require DM help to accomplish?

For a start, interacting with anything that doesn't exist in the setting specifically until the player requests it.

Wanting assurances of some level of closure on your player goals, win or lose.

Actual pact with a higher or lower power, not a delusion.

Questing for a holy sword that the PC has some chance of getting. It won't exist in the first place unless the GM approves it.

Anything that requires GM approval to place in your background as a goal..

Big stuff that will affect the campaign as a whole that shouldn't IMO be unilaterally decided on by one player.

The issue is not whether the story is compelling or not. It's that what you're describing here does not fit the model.

You have not identified any scenes framed to speak to your PCs' dramatic needs (a fighter who wants to test his skill and help clear the region of monsters in the hopes he'll be able to one day build his own keep, a wizard is looking for some rare ingredients and components, a cleric wants to aid his friend the fighter in his quest, and a thief who is a childhood friend looking for a way to fast riches with little work). Your chapters 1, 2 and 4 contains nothing that speaks to any of this. And nor does your chapter 3 - just one sign of this is your use of the plural pronoun ("they conceal their treasure", they lie about the caves, etc - how does lying about the caves even fit with the agenda of the fighter and cleric? and where is the mage's agenda in all this?).

And that's before we get to any discussion of consequences, and how these might be established given the mechanical and fictional components of the module.

To get "story now" play out of the Caves of Chaos would require a complete rewriting from the bottom up.

I would analyze B2 as mostly inappropriate for Story Now for several critical reasons:

1) The entire adventure at the Caves of Chaos, while not scripted in the sense that it must be undertaken in a strictly linear fashion, is a FIXED set of scenes. If these scenes address character needs and player agenda it by pure chance.

2) The keep itself is, again, not particularly well-adapted to Story Now. It will work as a backdrop to various scenes, but there's nothing especially compelling about it. The Evil Cleric exists as-is. You can confront him, or not, and he will only address player's interests haphazardly at best. There are other characters who are basically either quest-givers or resource dispensers, or both. These characters are mostly peripheral, they could be co-opted into playing a part in the character's story, but nothing about them is ESPECIALLY compelling in this regard, any collection of similar NPCs would do as well.

3) The general premise, the stronghold on the edge of civilization, may or may not be a suitable setting in which to play out the character's story, but we cannot say unless we know what that story is.

In terms of what [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] has to say about it specifically:

OK, the premise is the keep on the edge of civilization. What does this say about civilization? What does it say about wilderness? About their relationship, and that of people, PCs particularly, to either of those things?

Establishment of a Fighter, wizard, cleric, and thief: These are generic characters built to classes which are basic archetypes. What is unique about these guys and what compels them? B/X and 1e both ASSUME fighters want to build keeps, wizards want/need components etc, rogues want riches, and clerics want to build temples. What is actually pushing these guys? Does the fighter wish to establish a keep because his family honor is at stake after they lost their holding somewhere else? Is the wizard attempting to achieve some specific magical effect? Why? What is the basis of the cleric's friendship with the fighter? Are they related, old friends, lovers?! What deity does this cleric even serve? Why is the rogue out here on the edge of civilization instead of cutting fat purses in some market town? How did he become friends with a fighter? I mean, Ilbranteloth has made a START, but we still lack specific character motives and goals that are less nebulous than 'be an adventurer' for any of them. This would be a weak start for Story Now play.

The statement about "nothing indicates any issue with using pre-authored material" is a head scratcher. Story Now doesn't fuel itself on pre-authored material. The basic premise is to 'see what happens in play' and 'follow the story'. GM framing of scenes in response to player inputs is DIRECTLY antithetical to pre-authoring! I see nothing wrong with utilizing an existing 'library' of NPCs and similar elements to draw from as you frame scenes (much like in the MSRP example that you gave up thread). Simply feeding the PCs into a pre-generated scenario where we already know what challenges they will face, isn't congruent with Eero's goals or process at all.

Chapter #1 The Keep. Again, only what is pre-authored is here. Only the fact that the PCs are so thinly drawn that they are just basically blank slate generic adventurers without any real agenda prevents this from explicitly failing to work right here!

Chapter #2 The Wilderness. Why do they want to find these caves at all? Do the caves address the fighter's wish to build a keep? Why would he build it within 2 miles of KotB? Why not go out and find some land which is NOT monster-infested? The cleric and the thief seem to be basically along for the ride with the fighter, though perhaps the thief will consider treasure to be a draw. This is the thinnest of motives, just basic greed. The wizard may have the most compelling reason to go to the caves, they may contain magic, but AFAIK nothing so far has hinted that this is so. He is just as likely to look elsewhere.

Chapter #3 The Caves of Chaos. This is basically already addressed in #2 above, we have no really compelling motive driving the PCs to find or enter the caves, beyond greed. The fighter might want cash to build with, the cleric might support that as his 'side kick', and the thief might, just on general 'thief principles'. The wizard likewise. So, we have a 'reason', but it is utterly generic, the same reason every other classic D&D party ever entered a dungeon for, loot.

Chapter #4 more of the same... There's nothing compelling here because there's no substance to the character's motives.

Indeed, Ilbraneloth calls it 'not the most compelling story'. Well, even most Story Now isn't 'most compelling', its just regular folks playing games, but nothing here seems even dramatic! Indeed, it is all exactly 'quite possible with the adventure as written'. In other words, the author of B2 created all the material that is input to the narrative, and the players basically just picked some of it in an order determined by their choices. Indeed, process-wise, is this really different from a choose-your-own-adventure book? A little, the players have more agency than making a binary choice here and there. Still, its only a small step removed since the actual fiction which was revealed was all pre-generated without regard to any input the players had beyond rolls of dice in combat.

As for the rest, there's no Story Now approach to using the caves, except perhaps specific ones that happen to correspond with PC motives. Even the vague motives of the PCs described don't engage with all the caves.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But your PC may never get to the country, or discover the barbarians have all been enslaved and dragged to hell or whatever. In a lot of games player goals are irrelevant to the GM and there's no guarantee you will get anywhere near your goal, especially if there's some problem with telling the GM your player goals. Or maybe "Fine, your character goes off on his mission, but the game is here. What's your new character?"

A base assumption of mine is that the DM is at least mediocre. If he's a bad DM as you are describing, then nothing really matters for any playstyle, Bad DMs are bad. If the DM as at least mediocre, that stuff isn't going to happen.

For a start, interacting with anything that doesn't exist in the setting specifically until the player requests it.

This is a violation of the social contract on the part of the player. By agreeing to play in a setting, the player is agreeing to be bound to the limits of that setting. So while yes, playing a Cormyrian War Wizard in the Dragonlance setting would need the DM's help, it's something that really shouldn't be asked for by the player.

Wanting assurances of some level of closure on your player goals, win or lose.

There's no need for this if the DM isn't a bad one like you describe above. The DM is going to follow your lead on what you tell him your PC is doing, so you'll get closure, win or lose. Barring the campaign stopping anyway.

Actual pact with a higher or lower power, not a delusion.

No need at all for DM help on this one. I'm fully capable of playing a wizard to summon a demon to make a pact with or plane shift to a plane to find one, hiring a wizard to do the same, or find a magic item capable of the same. Again, the only way this really fails is if the PC dies, or the DM is bad. demons/devils want souls.

Questing for a holy sword that the PC has some chance of getting. It won't exist in the first place unless the GM approves it.

I can't recall a campaign setting that specifically excludes holy swords, so they do exist regardless of the DM's approval. The quest may be short, or it may be long and hard, but unless the DM is a bad one, this is doable without the DM's help. He will just be setting things up in response to your PCs actions.

Anything that requires GM approval to place in your background as a goal..

Outside of something that simply doesn't exist in the setting, the player can set any goal he wants, up to and including becoming a god without DM approval. The loftier the goal, the greater the likelihood of failure, but the goals themselves just don't require any sort of DM approval.

Big stuff that will affect the campaign as a whole that shouldn't IMO be unilaterally decided on by one player.
Like what? I don't see anything that wouldn't fall into the what I just said above.

On a broader scale, characterization and personality mostly tends to develop during what we might consider as "downtime": while sitting around the campfire getting to know the other PCs, or via things done while in town between adventures. Maxperson's wine-guzzling Dwarf is a fine example - the whole wine business is rarely if ever going to come up while in the field, but it's known to be an ongoing part of the Dwarf's character.

And why would this be? Is it because that's the only time when the players actually have some agency over the fiction!? When there are ZERO stakes so the GM is not driving things in terms of his or her view of the agenda? Now the dwarf's player gets to 'drink wine'. Is the reluctance of players to have deeper agendas (I mean, this one is pretty trivial, you can accomplish it in real life, you don't need to RP it!) simply because they know better than to have significant ones that get attention and that they are allowed to really drive forward?

It seems to me that you get what you expect! GMs are largely creating the conditions under which this sort of observation might hold. IME players start out wanting much more. They either stop playing, perhaps becoming GMs or going on to other things, or else they learn to settle. That is unless they have the good fortune to find a [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] to be their GM!

Now, I don't think that ALL players would rather have some significant agenda that is served by the game all the time, but I think very many more of them really actually do harbor these desires than you give credit for. Their hopes were often buried in intersections and such long ago! ;)

In my games there may well be times when the PCs are said to recreate and spend time hanging out in a tavern, or whatever. It may represent an interlude or a challenge scene where information is gathered, or etc. If the players explain that their characters indulge in various side interests at these times, that's cool, but the dwarf warrior who is in search of his lost father isn't focused on finding another ale keg, even if he is a fine judge of its quality! At least not in any greater sense. It certainly isn't an 'agenda'. (I could imagine this in a non-serious type of game, and we have had some of those).

In most RPGs combat mechanics are more or less vastly different from exploration mechanics and-or social mechanics; and any attempt to unify the three things into one overarching set of mechanics is an absolute mistake, and doomed to failure.
I totally disagree with this statement, for the record. Lets take a look at RPG history, shall we? The first RPG doesn't have non-combat mechanics at all, in a formal sense. I agree that what it has is totally different from combat, but only in the sense that EVERY PARTICULAR THING in OD&D is an independent mechanic that uses different dice in different ways.

The next major game to come out was Traveler. This game uses a 100% uniform mechanic across all tasks, combat and non-combat. I'll grant that combat tasks involve the potential for the target to make checks to avoid being hit (parry or dodge), but similar techniques are available in other 'opposed' situations, if not spelled out in detail.

The next famous RPG to make an appearance was Rune Quest, which again has entirely uniform mechanics, again with a slight caveat for parry/dodge (almost as if they read Traveler! Imagine).

Beyond this games are far too many to mention, but EVEN TSR published a number of games in which uniform mechanics hold sway, such as MHRP, Star Frontiers, and Top Secret (I'm not sure how to classify Boot Hill, as it is virtually just a combat system). A number of other BRP based games also appeared, all like RQ using uniform mechanics. Other famous games with uniform mechanics include GURPS, Fudge, FATE, Shadowrun, and on and on.

Anyway, I don't think most games have non-uniform mechanics and at the very least a vast array of famous game designers have thoroughly overcome any difficulty that might exist in terms of such a thing. It is certainly not 'doomed to failure'.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
OK, I'm sitting here working on some things while my wife is watching NCIS LA. And the bit of the scene I just saw I think speaks to both what I think many are trying to accomplish with Story Now, and also highlights what I don't like about this approach.

I wasn't paying much attention to the show until I was taking a short break from what I was working on, so I don't know all of the details but:

Several of the agents followed an informant they were trying to get who they thought knew where to find somebody else. I don't know if this was a villain, informant, whatever, it doesn't matter for now, but we'll call him the quarry.

While they were there, several thugs came in and a gunfight started.

In the midst of the gunfight, while they were all shooting, missing, and taking cover (after killing one of the thugs), the quarry told the informant they were following that he would find him later, then left.

The second informant tried to chase him, but an agent pulled him back just before he got shot.

The quarry is seen getting in a car, the agents then one shot all of the thugs, and run outside as the quarry gets away.

--

The "GM" introduced conflict, complications, and dangers, to produce a scene that centered on the agent's dramatic needs at the time (find and catch the quarry).

They are unable to kill the thugs, until after the quarry makes their statement, and then is somehow able to just get out while everybody else is pinned down by gunfire. Once the quarry has escaped, they are able to kill the thugs, but only to watch the quarry escape. In this case, it appears they have escaped for the episode, to show up in a later episode.

So this is the sort of scene that dominated the couple of times I played a Story Now game. The next scene is back at the command center, centering on a sub-plot. The problem that I had with the scene in the show (not my favorite, it has it's moments though and I like some of the characters), and scenes like this is that it feels so contrived.

It's relatively obvious as they frame a scene what's going on - oh, this will be a gunfight scene. The meta aspect of a TV show makes this more obvious since we're either just before or just after the last commercial break. But the scene unfolds in a predictable manner - they can't catch the quarry at this point, so a "dramatic" gunfight ensues, the quarry makes an escape, and now that the drama of the scene has occurred, it's quickly wrapped up.

While I get that it's one way to tell a story, we prefer to let things unfold at a slower pace. We like things to focus more on the characters themselves, getting into their heads, and allowing them to experience the world as if it's a real world, and not a dramatic TV show. I'm sure that's something that can happen in a Story Now game, but the general approach seems to be more about the action and moving from scene to scene, whereas we like the exploration. Exploring the world, exploring the characters, exploring the plots and schemes that are happening within the world, etc. Our game is usually more like Alien than Aliens. Both great movies, and we have our share of sessions and even arcs like the second. But most of the time it's longer periods of things occurring between characters, and some exploration.

I'm not surprised that it often resembles B2 in general story form, since that's kind of what I started with and learned how to build a campaign. There are a lot of other influences since then, but the general thrust (as I look back on it) has usually been one of exploration. Allowing the story to unfold through the characters, and experiencing the story from the character's perspective. I love having new gamers at the table, because when they don't know anything yet, they can experience the game in much the same way their character experiences the world.

And from what little I've experienced about Narrative or Story Now games is that they try to eliminate the exploration and get right to the big dramatic scenes. The same approach is probably reflected in my musical tastes, which started with progressive bands like Yes, Genesis, along with Pink Floyd, particularly the pre-Dark Side era, and moved into more experimental and improvisational long form music, ambient, etc. (among many others). I like the dynamics, the slow builds, the meditative moments where little is happening, and that sort of thing.

So a game which removes those elements when I'm a player is what I see as infringing on my agency. The game is taking away the moments where we have often had the most fun. The GM is trying to skip to the next dramatic scene, when, if given time, we as players don't even really know what that next scene will be. That's why I categorically disagree that Story Now has more player agency. I disagree, I find it infringes on my agency as a player when I've played them. They took away my agency to do "not much at all" or "dig a little deeper" or "head off in a different direction" or "investigate something new," etc.

Remove ads