Where Are All the Dungeon Masters?

In light of the Labor Day celebrations happening in the U.S., now's a good time to look at the amount of effort tabletop role-playing takes. Is it holding the hobby back from a bigger audience?

In light of the Labor Day celebrations happening in the U.S., now's a good time to look at the amount of effort tabletop role-playing takes. Is it holding the hobby back from a bigger audience?

[h=3]Why Oh Why Won't They DM?[/h]Dungeons & Dragons and many tabletop role-playing games that debuted after its release have struggled with an inherent part of its structure: one of its participants has a disproportionate share of the game's work. This isn't to say that players can't help, but the structure of the referee role as envision by co-creators Gary Gygax and Dave Arenson created a very different form of play for one "player." What this means is that there are always more players than Dungeon Masters (DMs) and Game Masters (DMs) -- by necessity, the game is built this way -- and as tabletop RPGs grow in popularity, a GM shortage is a real possibility.

The GM challenge stems from a variety of factors, not the least of which being the level of organizational skills necessary to pull off playing not just one character, but several. In Master of the Game, Gygax outlined the seven principal functions of a DM:

These functions are as Moving Force, Creator, Designer, Arbiter, Overseer, Director, and Umpire/Referee/Judge (a single function with various shades of meaning). The secondary functions of the Game Master are Narrator, Interpreter, Force of Nature, Personification of Non-Participant Characters, All Other Personifications, and Supernatural Power.

With a list like that, it's no wonder that potential DMs find the role intimidating! Spencer Crittenden, the DM for HarmonQuest, summarizes why it's so challenging to be a Dungeon Master:

Being a DM, like being a ref, means acknowledging you will make mistakes while still demanding respect for the authority you have over the game. It means taking charge and reducing distractions, it means observing everyone to get a sense of their feelings and levels of engagement, and keeping people engaged and interested. This is not easy, especially for beginners. There's a billion things to keep track of on your side of the DM Screen: maps, monsters, rules, dialogue, etc.

It's a lot, but there's hope.
[h=3]The Best Way to Learn[/h]D&D's style of play was unique: part improvisation, part strategic simulation, with no end game. But the game's popularity has increasingly made the idea of playing D&D less foreign to new players as other forms of gaming have picked up the basic elements of play, from board games to card games to video games. The idea of playing an elf who goes on adventure with her companions is no longer quite so novel.

That familiarity certainly made it easier for the game to be accepted by the general public, but learning to play the game is best experienced first-hand, something not many future DMs have a chance to do. Enter video.

Thanks to the rise of live streaming like Twitch and video channels like YouTube, prospective DMs can watch how the game is actually played. In fact, the sheer volume of video viewers has begun to influence Kickstarters on the topic and even merited mention by the CEO of Hasbro. If the best way to learn is by watching a game, we now have enough instructional videos in spades to satisfy the demand.

And yet, if this thread is any indication, there still aren't enough DMs -- and it's likely there never will be. After all, knowing how to play and having the time, resources, and confidence to do so are two different things, and not everyone wants to put in the effort. That's why there's an International GMs Day, conceived on this very site.

But you don't have to wait until March 4 to say thanks. If you ended up playing a game this weekend, it's worth thanking the people who help make our games possible. To all the GMs and DMs out there, thank you for everything you do!

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

pemerton

Legend
It has gotten to the point, where I need clarification of what type of story is unfolding.
I mean a story in the literary sense - a series of fictional events which involve an initial situation, some rising action, and then a climax and resolution.

A lot of RPGers, especially those whose experience is only of D&D or other games modelled on it, think that you can't get that unless the GM (i) writes it in advance, and (ii) uses various techniques (eg overt railroading; the "three clues" rule; "node-based" desgin; etc) to make sure the players play through it.

This creates one perceived need for prep - creating the plot, and then writing up all its elements, working out the "hooks" and the "nodes" and the rest that will make it happen at the table.

There are also mechanical aspects of D&D (and many similar games) - eg its reliance on maps for evaluating quite a bit of action declaration (not only in combat; most dungeon exploration play relies on maps also); the mechanical complexity of NPCs/creatures; its emphasis on detailed treasure rewards - that create a perceived need for prep.

Eliminating prep means eliminating these things. I ran a RPG session on Sunday with no prep and a story in the sense I described above, which I (as GM) learned at the same time as the players did.

The previous two sessions I GMed were Prince Valiant - no prep was required, and the story elements that I didn't just make up I was able to take from two-page scenario write-ups that came with the game.

I've run Marvel Heroic RP, Cortex+ Heroic Fantasy Hack, and Classic Traveller sessions on the back of no prep other than (for MHRP) reviewing the rules and a module to get some scenario ideas, (for Cortex+ Fantasy) pre-genning some PCs, and (for Classic Traveller) pre-genning some worlds.

None of those involved the sort of effort that is being described by some of the posters in this thread. And it's not because I'm some sort of GMing prodigy - it's because these systems don't rely on prep to make them go.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
This is in General RPG, not D&D/5e, so . . .

There are plenty of RPGs out there that don't require a lot of prep, or even any prep. I GMed one yesterday - Cthulhu Dark - which allowed the 3 players to create their PCs withint about 5 minutes total, and which allowed the four of us to run a CoC session over the course of about 3 hours.

Prince Valiant is a little bit more rules-complex than Cthulhu Dark, but nothing like 5e in rules complexity. I've run two sessions of that system with no prep beyond learning the rules and flilpping through scenario books (each scenario is about 2 pages).

For these games, the main skill a GM needs is coming up with story elements that will push things along. And it helps for players to be story-ready also. But it's nothing like what Gygax describes in the quote in the OP!

I've gotta second this and call out the Apocalypse Engine games for this. You could run most of them without any prep at all (although note taking is must).

pemerton

Legend
I've gotta second this and call out the Apocalypse Engine games for this. You could run most of them without any prep at all (although note taking is must).
I'm gradually working my way through games on my "I'd like to play this" list. Dungeon World is on the list but I haven't got to play it face-to-face (only PbP with [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]).

ccs

41st lv DM
5e is far harder to DM than 4e, IMHO. 5e marks a big step backwards as far as I am concerned.

4e modules listed the full stats for each creature, together with a battle map.

4e had different rules for monsters that meant all their powers could be represented on the stat block, without you having to consult the spell lists in the PHB.

My players picked up 4e a lot quicker than they picked up 5e, which has separate mechanics for each class rather than a standardized system.

I understand if people didn't like 4e. What I don't understand is how anyone can say 4e is harder to DM than 5e. They are night and day to me: 4e is so much easier.

Despising the system more & more each week made it infinitely harder for me to DM.

After a very brief start as a player in about 1981, I have been almost exclusively a DM or GM. There was a shortage of DMs then and there is a shortage now. Life is both easier and harder today, easier as there is so much more premade material. Harder in that player expectations are higher because of all the web shows.

I can run a session of 5e off the cuff with close to zero prep as I have had 40 years of experience, but I was able to do that shortly after I started as well. I find that a lot of prep time is wasted, as letting the players lead gives you more ideas than you will ever co,e up with.

devincutler

Explorer
I've been "playing" D&D for 44 years and I put the word in quotes because, from 1976 on I have almost exclusively DM'd, except for conventions, when I finally get a chance to play the game. I run a homebrew campaign and essentially design from scratch 99% of the scenarios I run, which I type up into fully described scenario form before I run it. This means I have spent a hell of a lot of my life DMing and prepping to DM. Would I love to play...sometimes I really would, and while I do enjoy playing at the Cons, even DDAL at the Cons is not the same as playing in a regular home campaign. Unfortunately, my players (some of who have been campaigning in my world since 2e) seem to enjoy my campaigns too much to want to let me step down and run a campaign of their own.

Sometimes it is a blessing and sometimes a curse.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
5e is far harder to DM than 4e, IMHO. 5e marks a big step backwards as far as I am concerned.

I DMed 4e for a long time.

I spent a lot of time thinking "this is DM friendly, but..." the expectation that PCs would receive a constant flow of level appropriate magic items; but the so so quality of a lot of adventures made for it, and the difficulty of converting older ones; but for all the errata, especially for monsters, and the need to use the monster builder to keep monsters in line with the games steep math; but for the strong focus on having one big encounter after another, which limited the sort of campaigns one could run with it; but for the blizzard of unique powers and abilities, which could make it hard to know if that is how X or Y where actually supposed to work.

But otherwise, sure, pretty DM friendly.

cmad1977

Hero
If WotC wanted to make things easier for the casual DM, they would release shorter campaigns... like Lost Mine of Phandelver. I try to DM for my family, but reading these long campaign books is a chore and very time consuming. Improvising in one of these campaigns is difficult unless you know for sure the impact it will have on the later stages of the campaign. LMoP was great and easy to run.

I don’t disagree. However, the thing I’ve done with the longer adventures(and I think that WOTC should say this on the first page of all of the APs) is use them primarily as a sourcebook and less like an adventure.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The problem with games that don't require prep is that to be successful, they need the GM to have a skillset of running a game without prep! Improvisation is a skill, and if you are new at it, your games are probably going to be poorly paced, and questionably interesting. I don't know if I'd advise this as a way to make it easier for people who don't normally run games to pick up GMing.

ced1106

Explorer
I think another issue is that there are so many people that just want to show up and be entertained. I always get a kick out of seeing posts like: "5 Players Looking For A Game". Hello? You have the makings of a game right there. I'd like to say that many of these people are afraid to DM, but I think the truth is that they just want to consume.

Yeah, that. That's why I quit.

And, nowadays. regular meetings are the problem. As older adults, everyone has various family and work demands that make regular meetings impossible. It's much easier to just play a boardgame, and boardgames are still fun. (EDIT: Everyone I know, at least!)

Thankfully, a friend of mine told me about Dungeon World, and I picked up the free One-Shot World, which, as the title suggests, is designed for single-session gaming. The philosophy of DW and OSW is that the *players* are involved in world-building. Myself, I don't like to prep for a game when others decide not to play it, so this no-prep game system lets us roleplay without prep. Dunno if the game is good for roll-players, but I think it'll be a good fit for a less-than-serious Judge's Guild city like Verbosh or City-State, or even the crazed haunted Tegal Manor...!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads