What is *worldbuilding* for?

pemerton

Legend
Traveller's just basic pass/fail skill checks, apart from the technological gulf changing the names and emphasis of skills, and D&Ds pronounced discomfort with acknowledging leadership or tactical acumen as character, rather than player traits, I see no major impediments... of course, it'd really be d20, not D&D
In the episode of play I referenced, skill checks (or abilities gated by skills, like driving a speeding ATV out of a starship hold to assault a base) were at the core of the action. But D&D doesn't give you PCs who are centrally defined by skills. The closest it gets to this is the classic Thief class, but that itself is a pre-determined bundle of skills. So D&D simply doesn't permit an INT 2 bruiser who also happens to have Computer-2. Even if the fighter has "cross class skills", it's the nature of D&D that skill checks are not the main way of addressing the challenges posed by the game - they're simply not that big a part of PC build. (Even in 4e, and even in a skill challenge, skill checks are supplemented by healing surges, action points, power use, etc.)

Is it possible to have a version of D&D that is all skills? D20 Cthulhu comes closest, perhaps, but it still has combat mechanics hived off, feats, hit points, etc. It does not have the mechanical play or feel of Traveller.

And then we get to the fact that Tactics and Leadership were crucial in the episode I referred to - they factored into the action both in the starship (with the two fireteams - the PCs got surprise, in part because of the boost from those skills, and so dominated the situation) and assaulting the base.

I didn't make much of the close range and hand-to-hand combat which was an element of the session. This didn't feel remotely like D&D, as the Traveller rules produce a large amount of "dropped to zero but not dead", which is pretty much the opposite of D&D, and results in short anti-climactic combats rather than dramatic ones. (This may or may not be a good thing, but it's clearly different.)

Well, if you want 4e, forcing bloodied enemies to surrender via intimidation.
Which completely bypasses the general combat resolution system. It doesn't play at all like emotional or mental stress, or similar complications, in Cortex+ Heroic.

As I opined, up-thread, 40 years of pounding the baroque D&D peg into holes of every description, with however large a hammer it might take, can leave one convinced of its maleability.
As far as I know [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] has not played any RPGs but D&D, and has not read many others either. So I'm not just going to take his word as to how flexible D&D is, and how much it can emulate other systems!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Right, what I would say is that [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] is shifting the goal posts. The question was about what the SYSTEM does, and he is trying to talk about what the GM can do, independent of system.
Partly right.

The question is what the GM can do TO the system to make it better reflect the feel she wants her game to have; and whether a given system can withstand it.

Imaro

Legend
At this point it seems like I'm being attributed with a stance (D&D 5e can do everything FATE can do, in the exact same way as FATE with FATE-like mechanics) which I haven't taken. Not sure why this is happening but I never claimed D&D could do exactly what FATE could do in the same way FATE could do it. I claimed that Bonds/Flaws/Ideals/ and Inspiration could at a high level accomplish what FATE does with aspects for players in a D&D camapign... I also cited that them being less focues, less intricately tied to the play of the game, etc. was a benefit.

Apparently there was push back that 5e couldn't even accomplish the same thing at a high level and my questioning of that assertion as well as wanting to do some analysis into the what and how of FATE's Aspects and FATE points vs. Inspiration/Bonds/Flaws/Ideals was somehow morphed by other posters who wanrted to defend FATE into me making a claim D&D could do everything FATE could do and it was better than FATE (which again, I never stated) I think [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] may have been the only one who actually read my stance before jumping to the defense of FATE, and he even tried to let some of the more ardent proponents for FATE know they were mistaken in the argument they were attributing to both him and me but it was for the most part ignored ... :confused: :confused:

For reference here is the actual post where I both question the claim that 5e through the use of Bonds/Flaws/Ideals and Inspiration at a high level can't replicate what FATE does with Aspects and my thoughts on the differences in the two systems... I am literally arguing the same thing most of you all are claiming I am arguing against... mainly the degree to which Aspects are ingrained in the system. At this point I'm not sure what [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION] or [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] are arguing with me about. Because it sure isn't addressing what I've been speaking on. My argument in similarity has always been from a high level view and I've never stated one was better than the other except in how it relates to different goals for different playstyles with different groups.

I'm curious do you think that D&D 5e's ideals, bonds and flaws can accomplish the same thingn't? If not... I have to ask, why not?

Again I have to ask, how is this different from the GM and a player establishing and fleshing out character backstory (or more specifically an ideal bond or flaw) in D&D 5e?

See my experience here is that not everyone enjoys this style. There are players who really aren't interested in fleshing out the GM's world through their character's backstory and traits (they may not even be that interested in fleshing out their own character's traits and personality). As someone who runs games (as opposed to playing them) near constantly I've been in this situation myself where I don't want to create a world... I want to play in someone else's world.

I see 1 major difference in how FATE (aspects) approaches this vs. D&D's (ideals, flaws and bonds)... the degree to which it is mandated as part of the game. In FATE aspects are mandatory and are a fundamental part of the game mechanics in play, which means there is no opting out of them and every player has to engage with them to the same degree (fully). D&D on the other hand treats it as an optional system which players can buy into fully or choose to ignore as they see fit. FATE is great if you have a group with total buy in and your method of setting building is great for players who want the experience of building the world (though I think it's a big mistake to assume that this is desired by all players or even a universally positive thing). However for a group that doesn't want to go deep into characterization and has no desire to build the world their stories take place in (or even a group that is mixed on the idea) FATE is pretty limiting and something like 5e, IMO, is a better fit since players can choose to buy in or not as much as they want.

EDIT: Though this is purely conjecture, I think this is a major reason games like FATE don't have the widespread appeal of something like D&D or more traditional rpg's. They require more from the players and IME, it's a requirement that makes it a less attractive option for some new players as well as casual players and even experienced players who don't necessarily fall into the Storytelling (and to a lesser extent the Actor) player types.

Aldarc

Legend
I claimed that Bonds/Flaws/Ideals/ and Inspiration could at a high level accomplish what FATE does with aspects for players in a D&D camapign... I also cited that them being less focues, less intricately tied to the play of the game, etc. was a benefit.
And we have pushed back on both of your arguments here.

I am literally arguing the same thing most of you all are claiming I am arguing against...mainly the degree to which Aspects are ingrained in the system. At this point I'm not sure what [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION] or [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] are arguing with me about.
Mainly your demand for concrete examples regarding your own prompt. Your shallow reading of Fate and Inspiration mechanics, particularly baseless, unsupportable arguments like these:
I actually gave a summary of the rules in the thread... and no, there really isn't much more to it. Again cite some mechanics not descriptions or advice but what the actual mechanics are... what do Aspects and FATE points allow you to do mechanically? They give you bonuses to rolls just like inspiration does. You receive them for roleplaying your character... just like inspiration. And as for aspects in scenes.... it's no different than terrain, hazards, etc. in D&D (Yes the mechanical implementation is different because they are different games... but they serve the same purpose). At it's core FATE is a pretty traditional game with... wait for it... Aspects/FATE points tacked on.

In fact I'd go so far as to say if you removed FATE points and aspects from the game you would still have a perfectly playable albeit highly generic system called FUDGE. It is literally, exactly what you accuse D&D 5e of being... a pre-existing system with narrative elements slapped on it.
And you can even see within the above post, evidence to the contrary you "claim D&D could do everything FATE could do" as it relates to aspects and fate points. Wondering why others may be arguing against you? Or for what reason? Try your above comments for starters. Your "high level view" of Fate is shallow reductionism and does not offer quality criticism of the system. That is worth challenging, so don't act surprised when people do. Not clear what I am arguing against with you? Let's be clear now. As of now, I am arguing with you about this post and your "moderately familiar" view of Fate.

As for the rest? You asked:
For example what do Aspects mechanically offer that Inspiration and the Bond/Flaw/Ideal system don't? I've stated from a mechanical perspective how I see the two and why I think they are similar but I've yet to see that done from the other perspective... that's what i'm interested in hearing.
And that has now been answered by several people, and now that people have answered, you have done nothing with it. You stopped engaging and retreated to this post while also treating [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] and me as being senseless people who have no idea what we are arguing. Do you want examples or not? Do you want people to have a conversation with you on these points or not? We met your demands. How am I supposed to believe that you are discussing this in good faith when you do this? You asked for something, and so we answered your inquiries. Then you pretend like you have no idea what we are discussing? What gives? :erm::erm::erm:

Because it sure isn't addressing what I've been speaking on. My argument in similarity has always been from a high level view and I've never stated one was better than the other except in how it relates to different goals for different playstyles with different groups.
Which brings us back to Campbell's post about you underestimating the flexibility of indie games, does it not? Then we can go back to your post about Sorcerer and D&D, no? And then that would bring us back here again, a topic regarding Fate and Inspiration that has already been discussued before in this thread at your insistence.

Imaro

Legend
And we have pushed back on both of your arguments here.

So you are claiming that at a high level and in a general sense D&D 5e Bonds/Flaws/Ideals and Inspiration can't serve the same purpose as Aspects... Yeah we are just going to have to agree to disagree. While it is up to the group to push those mechanics to the forefront in D&D it is also up to the group in a FATE game to engage with aspects and the FATE economy as opposed to skills, stunts, etc. So no I've seen no valid push back on this only when it comes to details and whether they can perfectly mimic the FATE mechanics as opposed to the general purpose... which again I'll state I never claimed. I also fail to see where the push back against the looser rules for idelas/bonds/etc. being an advantage in D&D (for a group of players with more diverse tastes) has been countered or pushed back on...

Mainly your demand for concrete examples regarding your own prompt. Your shallow reading of Fate and Inspiration mechanics, particularly baseless, unsupportable arguments like these:
And you can even see within the above post, evidence to the contrary you "claim D&D could do everything FATE could do" as it relates to aspects and fate points. Wondering why others may be arguing against you? Or for what reason? Try your above comments for starters. Your "high level view" of Fate is shallow reductionism and does not offer quality criticism of the system. That is worth challenging, so don't act surprised when people do. Not clear what I am arguing against with you? Let's be clear now. As of now, I am arguing with you about this post and your "moderately familiar" view of Fate.

Again I started from and have been talking at a high level... I have claimed that 5e inspiration along with bonds/ideals and flaws can do the same "what" as FATE's aspects and FATE points for players in a D&D game, not that the "How" is the same, that's what I wanted to discuss the differences around. To claim D&D 5e could do everything the mechanics of FATE do in the same way they do it is a silly argument since they are different systems. There's no way this could be possible. I asked for details because I thought it would be interesting to compare the how in each game... remember my list of questions... but instead of taking it as a prompt for discussion and analysis you and @ABDULahzared took it as some type of attack on FATE or indie games or I don't know exactly... and even here you've decided my argument for me byt stating I am saying D&D 5e can do everything FATE can do... that's not what I posted and it's never been my argument that's your takeaway after getting offended and extrapolating from my post. I guess if you attribute it to me enough times it'll stick. :confused:

As for the rest? You asked:
And that has now been answered by several people, and now that people have answered, you have done nothing with it. You stopped engaging and retreated to this post while also treating @AbdulAlhazred and me as being senseless people who have no idea what we are arguing. Do you want examples or not? Do you want people to have a conversation with you on these points or not? We met your demands. How am I supposed to believe that you are discussing this in good faith when you do this? You asked for something, and so we answered your inquiries. Then you pretend like you have no idea what we are discussing? What gives? :erm::erm::erm:

Because at this point I wanted to clarify my actual argument so YOU understood my position (which as I stated before you seem to be making a habit of misconstruing). If my position is unclear how are we going to have an actual discussion about it. You will always view and approach my posts as if I am trying to one up or prove something I'm not and that will most definitely color the conversation (as it already has since the past couple of posts I've gotten from you have been filled with that snark you felt so keen to lecture me on earlier.).

I'm willing to discuss but it has to be in good faith and without viewpoints and arguments being ascribed that were never made and honestly you don't seem like that's the place you want to approach this from right now. But please if you really would like some discussion and an exchange of viewpoints then let me know and I'd be more than happy to engage you.

Which brings us back to Campbell's post about you underestimating the flexibility of indie games, does it not? Then we can go back to your post about Sorcerer and D&D, no? And then that would bring us back here again, a topic regarding Fate and Inspiration that has already been discussued before in this thread at your insistence.

No it doesn't you've shown that FATE 's mechanics are very focused on a particular experience how does this speak to flexibility. Can FATE provide a tactical experience if one player in the group wants that? Do it's mechanics support the type of customization and build choices that a powergamer would enjoy? Can you play casually without fully engaging with FATE's mechanics and the game not suffer? Can a player focus purely on combat if he is a butt-kicker type? I think this is a totally separate conversation that hasn't been addressed up till now and I was hoping @Campbell would go int more depth about why he saw them as flexible.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
The question is what the GM can do TO the system to make it better reflect the feel she wants her game to have; and whether a given system can withstand it.
Any given system can 'withstand' modding, if the modding is done skillfully - or be wrecked by it, if not. ;)
Ironically, the closer a system is to broken, the more amenable it is to modding - in fact, if a system is broken to begin with, you might as well mod it to suit, while you're fixing it!

In the episode of play I referenced, skill checks (or abilities gated by skills, like driving a speeding ATV out of a starship hold to assault a base) were at the core of the action. But D&D doesn't give you PCs who are centrally defined by skills. The closest it gets to this is the classic Thief class, but that itself is a pre-determined bundle of skills. So D&D simply doesn't permit an INT 2 bruiser who also happens to have Computer-2.
I suspect you don't mean in the sense of INT starting at 3 and Computer not being a skill? Certainly an INT 8 'Strong Hero' in d20 modern could invest a few ranks in a computer skill. Check his email, and so forth.

Even if the fighter has "cross class skills", it's the nature of D&D that skill checks are not the main way of addressing the challenges posed by the game - they're simply not that big a part of PC build. (Even in 4e, and even in a skill challenge, skill checks are supplemented by healing surges, action points, power use, etc.)
Since 3.0, if not 2e S&P, skill checks have been the main mechanical way of addressing non-combat challenges. They're often avoided, because they haven't always worked great, or because players realize they can couch actions to get success without checking the character's skill, but they do exist, FWIW.

And then we get to the fact that Tactics and Leadership were crucial in the episode I referred to - they factored into the action both in the starship (with the two fireteams - the PCs got surprise, in part because of the boost from those skills, and so dominated the situation) and assaulting the base.
There's certainly feats & abilities in various editions of D&D that'd deliver an initiative boost.
Which completely bypasses the general combat resolution system. It doesn't play at all like emotional or mental stress, or similar complications, in Cortex+ Heroic.
Except for the 'bloodied enemy' part.

As far as I know [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] has not played any RPGs but D&D, and has not read many others either. So I'm not just going to take his word as to how flexible D&D is, and how much it can emulate other systems!
Mostly 1e D&D, IIRC, so he has certainly had ample time & experience to acquire the skills to /make/ D&D flexible.

(And, as I've opined, 'emulating other /systems/' is a rabbit-hole. RPGs have enough trouble emulating a genre, let alone a range of genres, let alone doing impressions of eachother at the same time!)

Aldarc

Legend
So you are claiming that at a high level and in a general sense D&D 5e Bonds/Flaws/Ideals and Inspiration can't serve the same purpose as Aspects... Yeah we are just going to have to agree to disagree. While it is up to the group to push those mechanics to the forefront in D&D it is also up to the group in a FATE game to engage with aspects and the FATE economy as opposed to skills, stunts, etc. So no I've seen no valid push back on this only when it comes to details and whether they can perfectly mimic the FATE mechanics as opposed to the general purpose... which again I'll state I never claimed.
You can feel free to agree to disagree all you want, but that does not make your assertions true. "At a high level and in a general sense" appears to mean to you "at an overly broad and an incredibly superficial sense devoid of any actual meaning or substance for the sake of false equivalence." I don't think that Inspiration can serve the same purpose as Aspects because Aspects are simply far too encompassing in the gameplay for Inspiration to keep pace, whether at a high level, a medium level, or a low level.

Inspiration is a rule the game master can use to reward you for playing your character in a way that's true to his or her personality traits, ideal, bond, and flaw. By using inspiration, you can draw on your personality trait of compassion for the downtrodden to give you an edge in negotiating with the Beggar Prince. Or inspiration can let you call on your bond to the defense of your home village to push past the effect of a spell that has been laid on you.
At a high level, Inspiration exists as a reward for roleplaying. The problem with Inspiration as written is that it is mechanically dissociated from its own description above after the bold. Once you have Inspiration - regardless of how you got it - it can be used on anything outside of your BFI and only on attack rolls, skill checks, and saving throws. And only with advantage. You either have it or you don't. There are no Inspiration pools.

Contrast this with Fate:
You use tokens to represent how many fate points you have at any given time during play. Fate points are one of your most important resources in Fate—they’re a measure of how much influence you have to make the story go in your character’s favor.

You can spend fate points to invoke an aspect, to declare a story detail, or to activate certain powerful stunts.

You earn fate points by accepting a compel on one of your aspects.
And that is the high level meaning and general purpose of fate points in Fate. It is not about "good roleplaying," but a character's story influence.

Players spend them in order to be awesome in a crucial moment, and they get them back when their lives get dramatic and complicated. So if your fate points are flowing the way they’re supposed to, you’ll end up with these cycles of triumphs and setbacks that make for a fun and interesting story.
At a high level, Fate points exist to fluctuate the narrative drama of play. Fate points do not exist as a reward for roleplaying. They exist as an incentive for accepting story complications that apply to your character: compels, invokes against you, and conceding a conflict.

Again I started from and have been talking at a high level... I have claimed that 5e inspiration along with bonds/ideals and flaws can do the same "what" as FATE's aspects and FATE points for players in a D&D game, not that the "How" is the same, that's what I wanted to discuss the differences around.
Is that the same "what" though? Isn't that a positive assertion that requires you to provide evidence and not us to prove that it's different?

In Sum at a High Level:
* D&D 5E: Inspiration exists as a reward for roleplaying to gain advantage on a given attack roll, saving throw, or ability check. They are a carrot for roleplaying.
* Fate: Fate points exist as a way for the player character to influence the story. They are a stick players can use on the story.

IMHO, these are two distinct general purposes.

I asked for details because I thought it would be interesting to compare the how in each game... remember my list of questions... but instead of taking it as a prompt for discussion and analysis you and ABDULahzared took it as some type of attack on FATE or indie games or I don't know exactly... and even here you've decided my argument for me byt stating I am saying D&D 5e can do everything FATE can do... that's not what I posted and it's never been my argument that's your takeaway after getting offended and extrapolating from my post.
So what deeper argument am I supposed to take away from your post where you say:
They give you bonuses to rolls just like inspiration does. You receive them for roleplaying your character... just like inspiration. And as for aspects in scenes.... it's no different than terrain, hazards, etc. in D&D (Yes the mechanical implementation is different because they are different games... but they serve the same purpose).

In fact I'd go so far as to say if you removed FATE points and aspects from the game you would still have a perfectly playable albeit highly generic system called FUDGE. It is literally, exactly what you accuse D&D 5e of being... a pre-existing system with narrative elements slapped on it.
Do you really not expect any backlash when you describe Fate, much less any game, with this shallow of a reading? Do you not expect any backlash when you implicitly accuse me of being a hypocrite?

I guess if you attribute it to me enough times it'll stick. :confused:
Because at this point I wanted to clarify my actual argument so YOU understood my position (which as I stated before you seem to be making a habit of misconstruing).If my position is unclear how are we going to have an actual discussion about it. You will always view and approach my posts as if I am trying to one up or prove something I'm not and that will most definitely color the conversation (as it already has since the past couple of posts I've gotten from you have been filled with that snark you felt so keen to lecture me on earlier.).

I'm willing to discuss but it has to be in good faith and without viewpoints and arguments being ascribed that were never made and honestly you don't seem like that's the place you want to approach this from right now. But please if you really would like some discussion and an exchange of viewpoints then let me know and I'd be more than happy to engage you
You want a discussion in good faith? Then stop trying to dig your claws back into people like you are doing above with your double-speak, because that's just dispelling any notion of your good faith right there. If you can cut this sort of stuff out, then we can proceed.

No it doesn't you've shown that FATE 's mechanics are very focused on a particular experience how does this speak to flexibility.
When did I do that? I have discussed Aspects and Fate points and how they are comparable to 5E Inspiration, which is what I was asked to detail.

Can FATE provide a tactical experience if one player in the group wants that?
War of Ashes. Also, the Create an Advantage action is what my D&D tactical players drool over.

Do it's mechanics support the type of customization and build choices that a powergamer would enjoy?
Venture City, Atomic Robo, Jadepunk, Fate Freeport, Dresden Files Accelerated, Mindjammer, Eclipse Phase, Wearing the Cape, etc. Base customization is fairly free reign, especially when it comes to Aspects and Stunts, which are mostly build-them-yourself with examples.

Can you play casually without fully engaging with FATE's mechanics and the game not suffer?
Can you play D&D without fully engaging with D&D's core mechanics (e.g., classes, races, spells, combat, skill checks, etc.) and the game not suffer? But yes, you can certainly casually play Fate.

Can a player focus purely on combat if he is a butt-kicker type?
Yes, why couldn't he in Fate? But can a player focus purely on non-combat in D&D without being saddled with combat viability via classes?

Imaro

Legend
You can feel free to agree to disagree all you want, but that does not make your assertions true.

I'll decide if I'm going to follow up with the rest of your post later but just wanted to highlight this right here...

I say we should agree to disagree and somehow you've misconstrued my statement into something along the lines of "My assertions are objectively true"... which again I didn't say. Agree to disagree means we're probably at an impasse here and you haven't convinced me (or some others in this thread) and I apparently haven't convinced you (or some others in this thread). This is what I mean about you taking what I post and then misrepresenting it.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The problem with Inspiration as written is that it is mechanically dissociated from its own description
Foul!

Once you have Inspiration - regardless of how you got it - it can be used on anything outside of your BFI and only on attack rolls, skill checks, and saving throws. And only with advantage. You either have it or you don't.
The description only said that you /could/ draw on your inspiration in those thematically appropriate way. You could instead draw on the compassion you RP'd when negotiating with the beggar king to assassinate him later that evening, sure, but that doesn't make you dissociative (mechanically)...

There are no Inspiration pools.
You know if there were some players'd just horde it until they drowned in one.

Fate points do not exist as a reward for roleplaying. They exist as an incentive for accepting story complications that apply to your character: compels, invokes against you, and conceding a conflict.
Wouldn't that be 'good RP' in the absence of any incentive?

Can you play D&D without fully engaging with D&D's core mechanics (e.g., classes, races, spells, combat, skill checks, etc.) and the game not suffer? But yes, you can certainly casually play Fate.
Neither the current ed of D&D nor Fate really lend themselves to casual play. Fate Accelerated, maybe, but FATE, with it's session 0 story-braiding (I don't know if that's fair, but it's hard to describe succinctly, and harder to do casually/quickly), requires a fairly high up-front buy-in. It seems like a 'serious gamers' product. D&D (basic pdf, perhaps), also maybe, if you do pre-gens, and pre-pick spells or just eschew casters, entirely.

Yes, why couldn't he in Fate?
Because Roll v Role, I guess. RP & tactical combat are incompatible, except when they aren't, then they are again.
Seriously, though, all you'd need to play a combat specialist in FATE is a character concept - 'story' - that screams combat specialist, like IDK, Casca the Eternal Mercenary or just about anyone ever played by Arnold Schwarzenegger...

But can a player focus purely on non-combat in D&D without being saddled with combat viability via classes?
IDK if 'saddles' is fair, but, while you'll get hps and proficiency bonuses like everyone else, you could dump CON, go about unarmed & unarmored, and choose all support & utility spells, and still be a contributing party member and a 'non-combatant' - only because you /choose/ never to prepare Spirit Guardians or Flame Strike or what-have-you, but, still, you could do it. Pacifist Cleric was a thing in both 3.5 (variety of pacifist builds, but cleric was the most practical) & 4e (which could also do a 'lazy warlord' who was great to have in combat, but, y'know, not actually doin' it himself).

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION], if you really think that skills in 3E/PF are capable of carrying the same heft in play as they do in Classic Traveller (where they are the whole of the PC sheet) then I guess there's no arguing it with you!

To me it seems obvious that, in 3E/PF, the main way of resolving out-of-combat challenges is not the skill system but the magic system, with the skill system acting as something of a secondary framework. This is why I made the point that an INT 2 bruiser was also the one who was able to save the data: in Traveller it is quite feasible to have a INT 2 ex-nayy guy like this one who, as a result of the lifepath rolls, happens to have Computer-2 (in the backstory: he was passably competent in the Engineering section, but when transferred to bridge duties his limitatins became clear and he was mustered out). In D&D that role would be played by a spell-user, or (perhaps) a thief, but not by a fighter or barbarian.

I'm not very familiar with D20 modern, but my understanding is that it is based on "talent trees" that are associated with classes, so (I assume) the real computer skill would be associated with a Smart Hero, not a Strong one.

Turning from the range of PC expertise to other aspects of system: Traveller checks are rolled on 2d6 (occasionally 3d6), which means that even when skill is acting as a 1:1 bonus it behaves quite differently from d20, with skill levels above 1 generating rather reliable degrees of competence. For some checks (eg basic vacc suit checks) the ratio is better than 1:1 (eg in the vacc suit case it is +4 per rank) which further affects the probailities on chekcs. Of course you could calculate all this and replicate it on d20, but (i) I don't think it's guaranteed that the maths will work out (I haven't checked, but it's not obvious that there is a way of parsing d20 skill bonuses that will mean that you can get the same chance of success on a basic vacc suit check and a subsequent vacc suit saving roll, which in Traveller are at +4 per rank and +1 per rank respectively) and (ii) this would require a type of approach to determining skill bonuses and setting DCs which is (as far as I know) not part of any actual d20 system.

4e skill challenges use a range of devices to help "flatten" the variability of the maths - mutiple checks, use of rituals and action points and powers and "advantages" (per the Rules Compendium) - but these (i) tend to drift expertise back to a class orientation, and (ii) give the game its own feel which I will testify from experience is not very closee to Classic Traveller.

Remove ads