The 'Wonderland'-Inspired Faces of the RAGE OF DEMONS

Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.

Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.

CEXkKiqUsAADuq1.jpg

OUGALOP, kuo-toa cave cricket catcher extraordinaire.

CEXk_2UUIAA18QX.jpg

YUK YUK and SPIDERBAIT, goblin adrenaline junkies.

CEXlbDRUUAA1KJG.jpg
CEXlbDVUIAAjx2O.jpg
CEXlbHxVEAEU5nF.jpg
CEXlbKQUUAAQxoA.jpg

THE SOCIETY OF BRILLIANCE, the Mensa of the Underdark.

CEXlz0NVIAIsi3J.jpg

GLABBAGOOL, awakened gelatinous cube.

CEXmWjDUUAA95l4.jpg

RUMPADUMP and STOOL, myconid followers.

CEXm0_fUsAATIyA.jpg

PRINCE DERENDIL, a quaggoth who thinks he's elven royalty.

CEXnNiIUkAAMyaR.jpg
CEXnNikVEAA7aHI.jpg

TOPSY and TURVY, svirfneblin wererat siblings.

CEXnxQ4VEAAilzD.jpg

THE PUDDING KING, svirfneblin devotee (i.e., flunky) of Juiblex the Faceless Lord.

CEWVicQUMAA4Xqu.jpg

D&D's "Legion of Doom." What a wonderful bunch of malcontents.

jace

First Post
Just have to say that I LOVE this character art and the names. I agree with an earlier poster that said it reminded them of DiTerlizzi's work on Planescape and I think that's an excellent thing.

Abraxas

Explorer
I agree with an earlier poster that said it reminded them of DiTerlizzi's work on Planescape and I think that's an excellent thing.
The art work reminding me of DiTerlizzi's work is why I don't like what we're shown here. I honestly can't think of a single illustration by him that I like - something about the tall skinny look everything has. Plus these images (except the mind flayer, myconids and gelatinous cube) don't make me think of the races they are supposed to be (the purple Kuo-Toa in particular - Slaad maybe, but Kuo-Toa?. Never would have guessed that it was a Kuo-Toa in a million years)

While I really do like the concept of a dark alice in wonderland - I don't see anything in this art that suggests it to me here - like another poster noted, this art seems reminiscent of Dark Crystal. Is there a larger version of the group demon picture somewhere? There is so little detail in the one I see here, they may as well be outlines.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm in a wait and see mindset with this adventure book. I was not impressed with PotA, and if I hadn't bought it with Christmas gift cards might have been disappointed with the purchase. The concept paragraph blows both the dragons storyline and Elemental Evil stories out of the water, but too much DiTerlizzi or Ward inspiration is going to sour me on it. I'm one of those rare fools who was totally turned off by planescape back in the 90s.

JeffB

Legend
I'm one of those rare fools who was totally turned off by planescape back in the 90s.

You are not alone.

But I will give it a looksie when it comes out like I did with TOD and Princes to see ff there is enough goodies to hold my interest/yoink for my game.

Also the Demon Lords in that Picture have all been confirmed. From left to right they are

Yeenoghu, Graz'zt, Orcus, Zuggtmoy, Baphomet, Juiblex, Fraz'urb-luu, Demogorgon, Random Guy to show how big they are.

G9j0FAG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Corpsetaker

First Post
The art work reminding me of DiTerlizzi's work is why I don't like what we're shown here. I honestly can't think of a single illustration by him that I like - something about the tall skinny look everything has. Plus these images (except the mind flayer, myconids and gelatinous cube) don't make me think of the races they are supposed to be (the purple Kuo-Toa in particular - Slaad maybe, but Kuo-Toa?. Never would have guessed that it was a Kuo-Toa in a million years)

While I really do like the concept of a dark alice in wonderland - I don't see anything in this art that suggests it to me here - like another poster noted, this art seems reminiscent of Dark Crystal. Is there a larger version of the group demon picture somewhere? There is so little detail in the one I see here, they may as well be outlines.

This right here!

I find this quirky and silly art to be off putting. I also agree that this doesn't inspire an Alice in Wonderland theme.

If they wanted to do an "Alice in Wonderland" theme then they should have used the Feywild. They also didn't need to use the quirky art to give the impression.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads