What happens to the "suboptimal?"

GameOgre

Adventurer
sub-competent is fine as well as long as the group is ok with it.

A full party of VERY sub-competent characters can be a lot of fun to play or run a group for. It's a eye opening experience.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Suboptimal?

What, me worry?

236205-57083-alfred-e-neuman.jpg

smbakeresq

Explorer
OK...this is what I had in mind....(bear with me, I know this sounds bizarre)...

I was thinking of playing a lawful neutral hobgoblin warlock with the celestial patron.

He was a very honorable duty bound and brave standard bearer in a hobgoblin legion. He was starting to come into conflict with others due to his focus on honor and honesty which was occasionally seen as an excuse for softness and mercy.

I have not figured out HOW this happens but an Angel decides that he needs a herald. The herald needs to be militant, fierce, brave and honest. Somehow the hobgoblin is choses against all odds.

He will be a tome pact warlock so that he can do rituals that help him get his messages across (e.g. comprehend languages and so forth).

He will use a war horn when battle begins or he announces his patron. I will take thaumaturgy to make the ground shake! That sounds sort of angel-like.

He has proficiency in two martial weapons so will use a greatsword with greenflame blade.

(I was debating about multiclassing from fighter or paladin or cleric for that sweet armor/spell slots). Maybe to heck with it. Crap AC would be a challenge).

Mask of many faces would help him appear fairer in human, elven or other places...

Is he doomed? I dunno! DnD is exercise in survival! He might die! Let the gods (dice) decide!

Sounds great to me. You are an adventurer, you are doomed to die anyway. If you make it out alive then you are fated to live forever in tales of glory.

Maybe your hobgoblin was another soul reborn into a hobgoblin body to repent for some past transgression. Or maybe the Angel Patron touched a hobgoblin soul at birth so when you grow great you can be the bridge between hobgoblins and something else.

smbakeresq

Explorer
As far as suboptimal, I have stated that using defined arrays or point buy ENCOURAGES min/max, making the problem worse. Rolling for stats will give you more variety

smbakeresq

Explorer
As far as suboptimal, I have stated that using defined arrays or point buy ENCOURAGES min/max, making the problem worse. Rolling for stats will give you more variety

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
sub-competent is fine as well as long as the group is ok with it.

A full party of VERY sub-competent characters can be a lot of fun to play or run a group for. It's a eye opening experience.
I think that is touching on perhaps the crux of the issue: party disparity. It doesn't really matter per se if the party is super powerful or weak: the GM can always put stronger/weaker monsters.

What can cause an issue is when some party members are very strong and others are badly built.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I think that is touching on perhaps the crux of the issue: party disparity. It doesn't really matter per se if the party is super powerful or weak: the GM can always put stronger/weaker monsters.

What can cause an issue is when some party members are very strong and others are badly built.

I think you are right---it is really about everyone getting to be a factor in the party. Being so fragile you fall in every other battle is also no fun. However, I want to test the limits and just start playing even more freely...maybe using feats or ASIs a little more frivolously if it makes me more immersed.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It is one of the great things about 5e - the amount of disparity between characters is a lot less than 3.x or pathfinder

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Since I almost always want to play someone equally good with Longsword and Longbow, plus wilderness related skills, and grappling, I end up playing a lot of sub-optimal characters.

I'll shoot for 14s in Str, Dex, Con, Int, and Wis, and never raise them higher. I'll just taking feats I find generally helpful like Prodigy, Lucky, Mobile, Observant, or Tough. Or ones that I find interesting like Tavern Brawler.

It's definitely a spectrum... I firmly believe that you should play the character you want, but said character should be able to contribute to the party !

I find it's actually pretty hard to make a character that can't contribute to the party.

There are so many good spells that don't need a high casting stat.

Heck I've even found that Barbarians with 14 strength Recklessly Attacking still hit frequently. And that standing in choke points and taking the dodge action is surprisingly good even if you don't have the worlds highest AC.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'll shoot for as many 14s as possible with Point buy.

It's tougher with the standard array however.

Remove ads