D&D 5E Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour, Nov 27 2018

gyor

Legend
I almost forgotten Mearls addressed why there is no Planeswalker class in GGR, it's because there are no other official MtG D&D settings, so there is no where to Planeswalk to, so if they do a Planeswalker class it will be in the next MtG setting they do, because then they will have somewhere to go.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Replacing subclass features will only allow for features of a similar power level, so it would be right back where it started as far as power satisfaction is concerned.

In the first episode, Mearls initially wanted to ignore the Beastmaster in regards to the variant features (he said something along the lines of "with this, I see the Beastmaster kind of going away"), but chat convinced him to account for the Beastmaster interacting with the build-a-beast.

Testing out the new summon rules in a variety of ways seems to be the main point of the exercise, though.

The alternate class features are stronger/work better. There is no reason that alternate subclass features can’t also do that.

guachi

Hero
Maybe they just should have made a beast companion a core part of the Ranger. I think it would have solved many of the problems we are having with it.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I must be to old then. I can't think of anything less than 20 years old as truly retro. Also, whether something is classic or not is not simple based on age. Clearly illustrated by the term "instant classic" There needs to something iconic about it to be "classic" and I just don't think a dwarf w/ a bear fits that mold. Of course, I have never played WoW, so maybe it is just me. I have played a ranger, but never one with an animal pet. To me Aragorn is the "classic" ranger.

Doesn't really matter, I just thought the statement was funny.

I tend to think of the dwarf and bear combo as a classic dwarf ranger now, pretty much just because I have played WoW and watch the cinematic. On the flip side, I never think of Aragorn when I think of a ranger. He might be too old for me to even consider him. Even after watching the movies, the only one I think of from Lord of the Rings for a ranger is the elf guy.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It can surprise someone to know that World of Warcraft is almost 15 years old, and that Everquest came out 20 years ago - neither feels "classic" or "retro" to me, but then we've also seen THREE separate Spider-Man franchises within that same time period, reminding me how damned old I am... :)

What surprised me was reading that Britney Spears, hit me baby one more time, is 20 years old now.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I have played a ranger, but never one with an animal pet. To me Aragorn is the "classic" ranger.

The thing is, D&D rangers haven’t been very much like Aragorn since... Well, ever, really, but 2e is probably the most recent incarnation of the Ranger that could reasonably be compared to him. And even that was about as much like Aragorn as the D&D Wizard is like Gandalf (which is to say, barely like him at all).

The D&D Ranger, like many things in D&D at this point, is just a collection of tropes that don’t really resemble anything in other fantasy but themselves and other derivatives of themselves.

Last edited:

Remove ads