Onyx Path: Business As Usual... For Now, At Least

Onyx Path, the company which produces licensed World of Darkness games, amongst other things, has made a statement regarding Paradox's recent purchase of White Wolf. In that statement, they clarify that they did not know what was happening (although they knew something was happening), and that a meeting is scheduled for later this week wherein they will have a better idea of Paradox's plans for the tabletop RPG.

Onyx Path, the company which produces licensed World of Darkness games, amongst other things, has made a statement regarding Paradox's recent purchase of White Wolf. In that statement, they clarify that they did not know what was happening (although they knew something was happening), and that a meeting is scheduled for later this week wherein they will have a better idea of Paradox's plans for the tabletop RPG.

Ellis_werewolf.002.jpg

As they point out, White Wolf does not own Scion 2nd Edition, the Trinity Continuum, Scarred Lands, Cavaliers of Mars, and Pugmire; these will definitely not be affected.

Other than that, Onyx Path does not yet know what's happening with White Wolf's tabletop RPGs, but notes that Paradox has been nothing but friendly so far. Those RPGs include classic and new World of Darkness, and Exalted.

For the moment, Onxy Path is carrying on as normal. You can read the full statement here.

The license agreements Onyx have no doubt have get-out clauses in the event that the IP is bought, but those will have time limits on them. So if Paradox do want to bring it back in-house, the clock is ticking.

There could be a clause that allows for automatic assignment, or maybe if both parties agree. From the outside, we can only speculate. My experience in licensing (which is in the tech and content market, not in rpgs or books) is that, unless the licensee is bringing a whole lot to the table, conditions tend to favor the company that owns the IP.

That's true, but the money in WoD, like with RPGs in general, doesn't lie in the RPG but rather in the various potential spin-offs. I would be surprised if Paradox were particularly interested in the TT RPG - they're more likely to want to create their own video games, or license it out for a movie or three.

If they've bought the properties in order to make money from a TT RPG, I'm afraid they've wasted their money.

I can't imagine that either. There's just too much data available to show what a penurious market it is.

Lollipop

First Post
It can always be worse.

Sparkling Ventrue
My Little Gangrel
Toreador Primogen is Bob Ross
Malkavians. No need to change that. :p

And so on.
My Little Gangrel Pony …a family buys a pony for their daughter, but the "pony" turns out to be less of a herbivore then expected…like an episode of Goosebumps. A perfect way to introduce kids to gaming?

Remove ads

Remove ads