Core+1

CapnZapp

Legend
Nobody cares about the PHB+1 restrictions outside of the AL.

The interesting discussion is: do we really let WotC get away with not balancing their content?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
WHAT. CANTRIPS?
Cantrips are at-will attacks. Determining your baseline attack pattern is a pretty big deal, especially if you're not a caster. Getting access to GFB/BB is a pretty big deal for rogues in particular.

I made some AL characters for a con last year, and I immediately took rogue out of my option list because of lack of access to those cantrips.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I think the problem could be ameliorated (not solved) if WotC were to publish every few years, The Adventurer's League Guide to Expanded Material Vol. N, which covers all new options since the last Guide was published. This would allow a 'definitive', broad-based source for the +1.

If 5e lasts as long as 3.x did, though, there will STILL be powerful combinations that cannot be gotten together - but not as many.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nobody cares about the PHB+1 restrictions outside of the AL.

The interesting discussion is: do we really let WotC get away with not balancing their content?
Those fiends, establishing reasonable boundries for game design space. Why, there oughta be a law against it...

Yaarel

He Mage
I think the problem could be ameliorated (not solved) if WotC were to publish every few years, The Adventurer's League Guide to Expanded Material Vol. N, which covers all new options since the last Guide was published. This would allow a 'definitive', broad-based source for the +1.

If 5e lasts as long as 3.x did, though, there will STILL be powerful combinations that cannot be gotten together - but not as many.

A safe way to do this might be to say:

Certain premade characters that combine relevant options from several noncore books are legal. In addition, you can use options from Core+1 to customize it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Cantrips are at-will attacks. Determining your baseline attack pattern is a pretty big deal, especially if you're not a caster. Getting access to GFB/BB is a pretty big deal for rogues in particular.

I made some AL characters for a con last year, and I immediately took rogue out of my option list because of lack of access to those cantrips.

But you can use a rogue with those cantrips. The only thing you couldn't do is use one of the few subclasses in Xanathars, and some races.

TwoSix

But you can use a rogue with those cantrips. The only thing you couldn't do is use one of the few subclasses in Xanathars, and some races.
True, but I had just purchased Xanathar's and was looking forward to using it. Not a big deal, just a bit of a bummer.

Honestly, considering how diffuse the rules material is, and how much the volume of crunch differs between books, I'd like to see them at least make a distinction between minor crunch supplements (SCAG, MToF) and major ones (VgtM, XgtE). I don't see why picking Eladrin should bar you from picking a Xanathar's spell, or being a Bladesinger(!).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
True, but I had just purchased Xanathar's and was looking forward to using it. Not a big deal, just a bit of a bummer.

Honestly, considering how diffuse the rules material is, and how much the volume of crunch differs between books, I'd like to see them at least make a distinction between minor crunch supplements (SCAG, MToF) and major ones (VgtM, XgtE). I don't see why picking Eladrin should bar you from picking a Xanathar's spell, or being a Bladesinger(!).

It would be nice if they added a few things to the Basic game. Putting Eladrin in there (when they were already mentioned directly in a section of the DMG) would make sense and solve those problems.

TwoSix

It would be nice if they added a few things to the Basic game. Putting Eladrin in there (when they were already mentioned directly in a section of the DMG) would make sense and solve those problems.
Yea, just make a "best of" list that counts as always available for AL, update it once a year or so, and make it a handy little PDF to download, and I'm fine. I can understand trying to restrict kenkus and aasimar and kobolds, but having to use your +1 just to get a slightly different flavor of elf seems silly.

Remove ads