Mentzer's Epic Worlds of Empyrea Kickstarter Launches For 10 Game Systems!

Frank Mentzer's Worlds of Empyrea Kickstarter has launched! "Box, Darlene maps, 5 core books, 1 System book: D&D 5E, Pathfinder, Runequest, Savage Worlds, DCC, C&C, S&W, HackM, D&D BECMI, or 1E/2E"

Frank Mentzer's Worlds of Empyrea Kickstarter has launched! "Box, Darlene maps, 5 core books, 1 System book: D&D 5E, Pathfinder, Runequest, Savage Worlds, DCC, C&C, S&W, HackM, D&D BECMI, or 1E/2E"

834e50daab72e1da6ef25a44cd604417_original.jpg

For $50 you get the boxed set in PDF format, or you can go for the $65 print version. Each box contains a full-colour two-part map, an Empire core book softcover, a Player's Guide softcover, a system book for the game of your choice, and three "little brown books". There are larger reward tiers, of course - for $10,000 you get to join the inner circle of playtesters, and Frank will host 10 or more games on a virtual tabletop (VTT).

The aim of this Kickstarter is ambitions - a central game setting used by a multitude of different game systems, starting with the above ten, but with more planned for the future. Currently the setting supports:

• [FONT=&quot]Dungeons & Dragons 5E[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1E & 2E[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]​Dungeons & Dragons BECMI[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]RuneQuest[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Savage Worlds[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathfinder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Castles & Crusades[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Dungeon Crawl Classics[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hackmaster[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Swords & Wizardry.[/FONT]

Frank is raising $250,000 for this Kickstarter.

Check out my interview with Frank here.

"Legendary Dungeons & Dragons® game author Frank Mentzer presents his own fantasy world, 40 years in the making!Philadelphia PA, 1978: Singles and spouses gather to tell stories together in a game that has run for 2 years, half as old as the rules themselves. These are the new Role Players, choosing cooperative games over competition. They love the epic tales from Frank’s D&D® game...fun and exciting, the dawn of an era!

Lake Geneva, 1983: Working at TSR, publisher of the game, Frank writes the D&D “Red Box” set and a full line thereafter, selling tens of millions of copies in 14 languages.

Near Lake Geneva, 2017: After a lifetime of gaming experience, the creator of that original campaign offers it for everyone’s use.

Loxley inc proudly presents—Frank Mentzer’s Worlds of Empyrea."

The all-star roundup of legendary TSR authors includes: David "Zeb" Cook (D&D Expert, AD&D 2e), Ed Greenwood (Forgotten Realms), Allen Hammack(Ghost Tower of Inverness), Tracy Hickman (Dragonlance, Ravenloft), Harold Johnson (Lost Shrine of Tamoachan), Tim Kask (Dragon Magazine), Len "Leomund" Lakofka (Lendore Isles),Steve Marsh (D&D Expert), Douglas Niles (City of Greyhawk), James M. Ward (Deities & Demigods, Gamma World), “Skip” Williams (Sage Advice, D&D 3e), with a Foreword by Margaret Weis (Dragonlance).

And the artists involved with the project are equally impressive: Clyde Caldwell, Liz Danforth, Jeff Dee, Jeff Easley, Larry Elmore, Jennell Jaquays, “Diesel” LaForce, Erol Otus, Stephen D. Sullivan.

Shadow Demon

Explorer
I started in 1981 with B/X and moved on to AD&D within a year after finishing B2 & X1. I still love Greyhawk. I also really like 5e so I have no desire to return to the mechanics of yesteryear.

So, nostalgia aside, I just don't see anything compelling about the campaign setting itself. Well, maybe since there isn't any real details that makes sense. The pitch has a lot of name-dropping to create a compulsion. However, I have since become immune to this particular charm effect.

Honestly, I would be happy with just getting the Darlene maps. I think a much lower goal at much cheaper price with system neutral folio similar to original Greyhawk folio would be more appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
I think with all the celebrity game designers and huge team that this will easily be pulled off. I imagine each system book has an author/lead and will be developed near simultaneously. Also, may of those clones are near-compatible. The boxed set approach is deliciously tempting!

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
I'll be interested to see how it all plays out, for sure. I'd love a BECMI box set, but the price is too steep for my blood, unfortunately. It does seem ambitious, yes, but Frank seems to be trying to do it right and get lots of help. Some hefty pledge levels there though, for what you seem to get. YMMV.
[MENTION=6790058]EthanSental[/MENTION]: Darlene was the artist who did the big two poster hex map of Greyhawk from the original folio and box set - HUGE nostalgia factor for new maps by her. And just to point out, Tal'Dorei was a single hardcover book, I believe? This will be more akin to the old campaign box sets from TSR - multiple booklets, poster maps, etc. So much more expensive to produce.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
I don't even know why it's called Worlds of Empyrea. All the descriptions make it sound like a continent. Are there other worlds? Do they impact the setting? Is it just a clever nod to the DMs who will undoubtedly make their own world of Empyrea? I would appreciate knowing that in the pitch.
I read the Gnome Stew interview which answered this. Each ruleset version is considered a "World" for some reason. <shrugs>

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
I read the Gnome Stew interview which answered this. Each ruleset version is considered a "World" for some reason. <shrugs>

Right you are! Thanks Koren n'Rhys!

Who is Darlene and what are the 3 little brown books (contents)?

i think it will get there considering how well 7th Sea and Numeria did. I plan on the $75 level but need to decide what D&D edition :)

edit - since my first post 2 hours ago, it's went up over 8k.
for a setting book, maps and a rule book for one of them, and still not knowing what the 3 little brown books are, $75 seems good to me. The green ronin taldorei campaign setting is $35 for 144 pages.

DARLENE (she's very specific about the name and asked I try to refer to her that way) has a wiki page linked in the big list on the Kickstarter project along with most everyone else on there.

The 3 Little Brown Books are going to be nostalgic in design, like the little brown books they used to have in old D&D box sets, and can vary in topics. I'm only tangentially on the creative team (haven't even got my pitch idea approved yet) but Frank and the higher ups on the design team are in charge of sorting out the particular contents inside of each (just like days of yore).

We're working on another section for the KS page (got the banner done already) that points to a spot on WorldsOfEmpyrea.com with a bunch of information about the campaign setting itself, but Frank's got a really involved project and getting that in alongside the rest of the ambitious plan would've made the project page inaccessible. Expect that to go up soon though!

As for the project goal if you look at the $75 level there's a limited pledge quantity that's kind of weird--3,335. Frank is deadset on making a huge splash and change in the RPG industry with Empyrea (that's part of the ethos and 10-RPG system approach), and part of that is a big print run. It's definitely ambitious but the pantheon-esque production team doesn't come cheap, and getting all of these printed and organized isn't either.

We've got a bunch of time left before the first day closes and just now crested $39k so it's really ramping up!

DM Howard

Explorer
Bravesteel A: Dang it, I can't resist! I'm in!

Bravesteel B: No, you don't have the money or time for something else!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Bravesteel A: Dang it, I can't resist! I'm in!

Bravesteel B: No, you don't have the money or time for something else!

Bravesteel C(?): But there is time yet for precious, yessss. We coulds make a small pledge now and makesss it bigger later, yesss.

aramis erak

Legend
10 systems supported is also very ambitious. There is a lot being promised here.

let's see
List said:
Dungeons & Dragons 5E
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1E & 2E
​Dungeons & Dragons BECMI
RuneQuest
Savage Worlds
Pathfinder
Castles & Crusades
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Hackmaster
Swords & Wizardry.
BECMI can easily use AD&D statblocks. The exact number sequences differ, but the mechanics applied work, so monsters don't need to be converted.
Same for C&C and S&W.
I am led to believe that DCC is the same.
So that's really only 6 to support.
Hackmaster 4 is reasonably close in the monster blocks, 3 a little less so, but some general conversions and it's good.

Pathfinder and 5E are similar that conversion isn't hard, either. each counts about half a system for support when working from an AD&D or BECMI baseline.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Have officially backed at the 100 dollar tier - will be 110 + shipping when it's all said and done, because I'll be getting it for AD&D (2E) and 5E as nostalgia demands I play both systems at least once a week, so might as well shell out the extra 10 bucks.

Remove ads

Remove ads