What makes D&D, D&D?

Ristamar

Adventurer
I believe we need to separate the D&D brand from the classic or traditional D&D system, and it sounds like [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] is focusing on system. He touched upon the major cornerstones (hit points, saving throws, classes, ability scores). To that list I would also add some form of a single die roll/opposed roll core mechanic which would encompass armor class and skill resolution.

Aside from the classic mechanics, I believe "traditional" D&D empowers the referee with nearly all of the narrative control outside of direct player agency through the actions of their respective PC. This is a notable split from games like Dungeon World which grant players much more narrative control of the world around them. This could certainly change in the future. Even 5e has some player empowering variants, but they're only given very minor lip service as side options in a book that's not meant for players.

To that end, I consider Pathfinder and a lot of the OSR variants to be D&D in spirit. The window dressing might be different and some mechanics might be tweaked, but the GM/Player relationship and conversation is largely the same and anyone familiar with classic D&D should not have a hard time fitting in at a new table.

Zardnaar

Legend
I believe we need to separate the D&D brand from the classic or traditional D&D system, and it sounds like [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] is focusing on system. He touched upon the major cornerstones (hit points, saving throws, classes, ability scores). To that list I would also add some form of a single die roll/opposed roll core mechanic which would encompass armor class and skill resolution.

Aside from the classic mechanics, I believe "traditional" D&D empowers the referee with nearly all of the narrative control outside of direct player agency through the actions of their respective PC. This is a notable split from games like Dungeon World which grant players much more narrative control of the world around them. This could certainly change in the future. Even 5e has some player empowering variants, but they're only given very minor lip service as side options in a book that's not meant for players.

To that end, I consider Pathfinder and a lot of the OSR variants to be D&D in spirit. The window dressing might be different and some mechanics might be tweaked, but the GM/Player relationship and conversation is largely the same and anyone familiar with classic D&D should not have a hard time fitting in at a new table.

I consider games that are a clone (or close to it) or Pathfinder to be D&D, a D&D type game like 13th age or DCC is not D&D but are a D&D cousin.

Nagol

Unimportant
4e doesn't have Saving Throws...? Maybe I was playing a different game.

More likely my memory is faulty. I remember the primary defences are passive and "attacker always rolls". Rolling a die to end an active effect is a entirely different mechanism that happens to share the same name.

Nagol

Unimportant
Well, the stat order was supposed to be a joke. Humor can be easy to miss, I guess? The point is, D&D, for better or worse, sticks with six, and doesn't like to add or subtract from them.

Basic had a strong class system- races happened to be classes. *shrug* All D&D is defined by the class system, I would say.

Anyway, you can argue with the premise all you want. I happen to think there is a pretty strong core that makes D&D a distinct lineage, which is why (for example) you can understand those times when it departs from it, reworks it, or embraces it.

I'd more likely to define the "D&D experience" not with reference to the rule set but with reference to table expectation. Even here there is an awful lot of drift especially after 1e, but I'd say a D&D game consists of:

• Indifferent universe. The universe is neither helpful nor malignant. It just is. How the PCs navigate the challenges and opportunities matters. Success or failure is rarely certain and almost never due to who the PCs are, but to what they can achieve.
  • "Zero to hero" play. Starting play the PCs are generally weak, but if they are successful they can become among the strongest ever seen.
  • Archetypes are common. Every PC incorporates one and mechanical variances are minimal. Making the character yours comes through personality and in-game experiences.
  • Treasure matters. Much of your ability can come from what you can wrest from the world.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Every few years, this question (in one form or another) gets asked, and I keep coming back to a quote from a longtime forum member [MENTION=151]WizarDru[/MENTION] :

WizarDru said:
The Soul of D&D? It's rolling a natural 20 when you're down to 3 hit points and the cleric's on the floor and you're staring that sunnavabitch bugbear right in his bloodshot eye and holding the line just long enough to let the wizard unleash a fireball at the guards who are on their way, because they're all that stands between you, the Foozle and Glory.

A lot of things change about the editions, but this quote, and the thought of some of the essentials of D&D, keeps haunting me:
-hit points
-wizards, fighters, and clerics
-use of the d20 to determine major actions such as combat
-exotic clear-cut monstrous opponents that are encountered at least some of the time
-mingling of sword and sorcery
-the quest for fortune and glory
-the ability for said quest to come down to the wire and being able to persevere by the skin of one's teeth
-and, of course, fireballs :)

If it has these elements at the very least, even if it does not carry the name of Dungeons and Dragons, then it will still feel like D&D to me.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I had a dream, a dream of a perfect world. One in which there was an exactly equal number of gnomes, and anti-gnomes.

And they all rushed together and exploded, cancelling each other out. And, lo, the world was a better, kinder, happier, and gnome-free place after that.
Why do you hate D&D?!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases