• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete the Spell [Microsun]

Yunru

Banned
Banned
So I know what I want it to do, but not what to make... everything other than the level, effect, and school. - Including how much damage to have it deal.

Microsun:
Level: 7th
School: Evocation
Casting Time:
Range:
Duration:
Components:
Effect: You create a shining ball of light that races towards a point of your choice within range before blossoming into a miniature sun. Each creature within 20 feet of the point makes a Dexterity saving throw, taking XdY fire damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. Each creature within 30 feet makes a Strength saving throw, taking XdY thunder damage on a failed save, or is pushed X feet on a successful one. Each creature within 40 feet makes a Constitution saving throw or becomes Poisoned.

Poisoned? What? Thunder damage, but not radiant? A Strength save negates damage, and converts it to pushing? I'm having some trouble following your line of reasoning on this.

A seventh-level evocation spell deals about 12d6 damage.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
So I know what I want it to do, but not what to make... everything other than the level, effect, and school. - Including how much damage to have it deal.

Microsun:
Casting Time:
Range:
Duration:
Components:
Effect: You create a shining ball of light that races towards a point of your choice within range before blossoming into a miniature sun. Each creature within 20 feet of the point makes a Dexterity saving throw, taking XdY fire damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. Each creature within 30 feet makes a Strength saving throw, taking XdY thunder damage on a failed save, or is pushed X feet on a successful one. Each creature within 40 feet makes a Constitution saving throw or becomes Poisoned.

As Saelorn says, the mix of damages and saves do not match up to D&D conditions.

Fire, yes; that makes sense with a Dex save.

Failing a save against Thunder damage should be a Con save, with the Deafened condition the failure result.

Pushing a targeted creature requires Force damage, so that would require using Str for the save.

Then we're back to Con to save against the Poisoned condition.

Off the top of my head and imo, that's too much crap to stuff into a single spell, but let's see if we can work with this.

First, I would designate it as a wild magic spell that keeps transforming itself with distance from the point of the explosion (maybe rename it Wild Sun, or maybe Wild Sun Dogs) and perhaps reclassify it as a Transmutation spell only available to a sorcerer of the appropriate sorcerous origin. But, that's me.

Wild Sun Dogs
(7th level Transmutation spell)
Casting time: 1 action.
Range: I'd make this 60 feet, if for no better reason than to keep your allies antsy, while still keeping it far enough away that the caster doesn't inflict self-harm.
Components: V, S, M (a mixture of 100 gp's worth of a rare poison in a vial of common lamp oil, a pinch of saltpeter, and a small piece of charcoal, all of which are consumed by the casting)
Duration: Instantaneous.

The effect that any creature would potentially suffer from would depend on its position relative to the point of the spell's origin. The effects of this spell wrap around corners, ignoring up to half cover.

If within 20 feet, a target would need to make a Dex save vs. the caster's spellcasting DC, or take 8d6 Fire damage. A successful save would cut the damage by half.

If between 20 feet and 30 feet, a target would need to make a Str save vs. the caster's spellcasting DC or take 5d6 Force damage and be pushed 10 feet, thereby becoming susceptible to the third ring's effect. Failing the save by 5 or more would push the target all the way to the fourth and final ring. A successful save would both negate the push and halve the damage.

A target either already between 30 feet and 40 feet, or pushed to that distance, would need to make a Con saving throw vs. the DC or be Deafened by Thunder until the end of its next turn. A successful save negates the Deafened condition.

Any target between 40 feet and 50 feet from the point of origin, or pushed to that distance from the second ring, would feel a warm mist blow over it, and then need to make a Con saving throw vs. Poison. On a failed save, the target would take 3d6 Poison damage; a successful saving throw would cut the damage by half.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
You've pretty much already got the spell sorted. I added in the damage from DMG guidelines which as 12d6 damage as the damage for an AoE spell of 7th level, split in two for the fire and thunder damage. You may think it is a little low, however, you do also have a couple of extras in the push and the poisoned condition.

I gave the spell the range of a fireball. No idea what kind of material component it should have, maybe something like a focusing crystal.

Microsun:
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 150 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
Components: V, S, M
Effect: You create a shining ball of light that races towards a point of your choice within range before blossoming into a miniature sun.

Each creature within 20 feet of the point makes a Dexterity saving throw, taking 6d6 fire damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one.
Each creature within 30 feet makes a Strength saving throw, on a failed save they take 6d6 thunder damage and are pushed 10 feet, or half damage and they remain in place on a successful one.
Each creature within 40 feet of the point must make a Constitution saving throw or become Poisoned for 1 minute. They may make a Constitution save at the end of their turn, on a successful save they are no longer poisoned.

At higher levels, increase the fire or thunder damage by 1d6 for each slot level above 7th.

On a side note, I think this spell could slow down the game down a little when used due to the number of saves creatures may have to make, although you could make a single roll and add the relevant save modifiers instead of rolling for each save.

The 45 foot ball of fire damage isn't hot?
If you're standing in it, sure. If you're standing five feet away, then you're fine.

Or wait, is this a tiny little ball of fire that radiates heat out to a certain range, and radiation beyond that? I thought you were actually hitting people with the giant ball of fire, as per the fireball spell.

Remove ads