The Journey To...North America, Part Two

In writing these articles I have come to understand how many people are voiceless in the collective imaginary land that is role playing games. I hope that these articles make our hobby and industry a place where more people are welcomed and encouraged to become involved. Which brings me to North America, the part the second.

I spoke to a friend of mine and her words still resonate with me. I asked Susan what she might want in terms of how her people are portrayed in role playing. She replied that she would not want her people's traditions taken for granted. Sacred is sacred. In struggling to find a theme for this article, her words helped me focus in on what is important. So I will begin, before talking about the people, with my "How would I use this?" section.

It is not hard for those of us descended from European, especially Western European ancestry, to relate to the sacred. Stonehenge comes to mind. Beowulf and the legend of Arthur. Joan of Arc. The stand at Thermopylae. Rome at its best and at its worst. A host of cultural touchstones that help give us some common context and cultural language. They literally are sprinkled through our role playing; ideas from history and mythology that fuel how we play.

So if I were going to run a campaign among the North American native tribes, prior to European arrival, it would be heavily focused on those ideas that they found and still find as sacred. It would be an intimate campaign, with no Vecna or dragons or Sauron. Perhaps a band of folk who have suffered loss who wander from place to place, helping others and battling legends. The magic would be subtle and beautiful and full of mystery. It would deal with the idea of what is sacred and how the sacred shapes the lives of the characters. Of course this can be taken into science fiction as well and Shadowrun does some of this with its setting.

What is sacred to the native tribes of North America? A best we can generalize because there are over 500 recognized tribes in the United States, including many in Alaska. Susan mentioned a few things: The Dance, The Ceremony, The Animals, and of course The Land itself. In our modern times issues of land ownership and management have come up again as natural resources are found on tribal lands. To the native peoples, land is more than just a means of making a living or a sign of prosperity. It represents a means of preserving cultural history and identity. Indigenous folk see themselves as protectors of the land and everything associated with it. Equally important are the spiritual and religious aspects of the land and specifically sacred spaces. These sacred places are integral to the tribes spiritual practices and when the land is disrespected, this insults the people and their beliefs. They also believes it angers the land. This should be an important concept in any campaign run using native peoples.

I would recommend talking to native folk about their own tribes and tribal traditions instead of relying on just Internet searches. In general most scholars break the native peoples of North America, excluding Mexico (covered here) into ten different cultural areas. These are the Arctic, Subarctic, Northeast, Southeast, Plains, Southwest, Great Basin, California, Northwest Coast, and Plateau. These cultures had distinct lifestyles from one another, with some being agricultural and others more nomadic. Tragically some have been lost along the way and that is something we should never forget. If we as games masters and content creators can keep them alive in our games, then that is one way of continuing their legacy into the future.

​contributed by Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Yaarel

He Mage
A simple rule to navigate thru the minefield of cultural sensitivities:

If one uses a reallife name, make sure it conveys reallife accuracy. (Mythological accuracy or historical accuracy.)

If one doesnt want to deal with researching reallife, then avoid the use of reallife names.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My main concern with playing in a North American campaign would be the Bronze age (or worse) technology level and the fact that you would have to walk everywhere.

I can see a lot of hand-waving: "It takes you a week to get there..." -rolls some dice- "...during which nothing interesting happens."

I can also see dusting off the Dark Sun 'Weapon breakage' rules. "Magic" weapons might be made of hammered bronze, don't break, and are nearly unique.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If one doesnt want to deal with researching reallife, then avoid the use of reallife names.
That is a fair start (and a good-faith effort), but...
The first "cultural sensitivities" thread I encountered here was based on "The Vistani (in Ravenloft) are an insulting caricature of the Roma ('gypsies') people!"

Celebrim

Legend
Unlike the Nazis, the Romans did not kill millions of innocent civilians, to then that would have been a waste of potential labor. The Romans might have enslaved them, or if they behaved themselves they might eventually make them Roman citizens if the conquest went smoothly. Most Roman Emperors were a lot more tolerant that Hitler, all they wanted was for people to pay their taxes, and to fight in their legions, beyond that they didn't care what gods they worshipped so long as they honored the deities of Rome, the failure to do the second was their main source of conflict with Christians and Jews.

Both the Romans and the Greeks had the habit of assuming that all local deities where actually just their own deities under different names. Religious scholarship of the day consisted of going around studying local myths, and figuring out what 'real' deity was being honored under the local superstition. The Jewish god represented a particularly thorny problem, and it was eventually decided that the Jewish god was the Titan Typhon - the dread enemy of all the gods that wanted to drive off all the new comers.

If you will notice, not a lot of religious wars were fought prior to Rome's adoption of Christianity...

That's because prior to the development of Christianity (and in the East, Buddhism), there weren't really any widespread transnational religions. Prior to Christianity, there were plenty of wars being fought by one side in the name of their gods, against another side fighting in the name of their gods, but it's misleading to classify these as religious wars because to that point ethnicity, nationality, and religion were all basically one and the same. Only when you could start uniting multiple nations and ethnicities behind a single religion would you really start having religious wars because only then do you have a separate religious identity. But even before that, you have plenty of evidence of cultures in conflict because one is importing 'foreign gods' to the other as an act that is perceived as a sort of cultural hegemony and a way of subordinating and eventually assimilating a national identity. That is, if they stopped worshipping their own gods, and started worshipping their gods, pretty soon they'd no longer be a separate people. Heck, even Socrates was put on trial and sentenced to death for the crime of introducing foreign deities.

Interestingly, Rome's own native religion had been more or less completely absorbed by Greek religion, to the extent that by the Imperial era many of the gods of Rome were known to the Romans themselves only by name, and no one could say anything definite about the deity. The ritual and the station of the priest had been preserved, but even the priest couldn't tell you anything about the deity he worshipped.

Rome didn't just have this problem of religious patriotism with the Jews though. They'd encountered basically the same problem on the other end of the empire with the Druids. And they did ultimately resolve the problem with the Druids by genocide, wiping them out so completely that we now know nothing at all of historical Druidism. There is absolutely no historical record of it other than the Romans wiping them out. Ultimately, they tried to do the same thing with the Jews when the Jews kept revolting. The Romans attempted to erase the religion and the national identity of the Jewish people, wiping them out, removing the name of their nation from the maps, and dispersing them in an attempt to utterly eliminate the identity. What I think we can presume is that this behavior was more or less normal in human prehistory. What differed is that both the Romans and the Jews had books, not only do we have records but cultures with books prove a lot harder to erase.

As for the Aztecs and the Incans, they were both closer to the Nazi end of the nationalist spectrum than the Romans were. Both were actually fairly recent empires that had arisen by conquering and enslaving their neighbors. Both were thoroughly hated by their neighbors. Both engaged in 'Hunger Games' style tributes from conquered peoples - the Aztecs on a massive scale that would in modern times be considered genocide. Both ended up collapsing when nearby conquered peoples allied with European mercenaries to overthrow their oppressors. Of course, this ended up exchanging one jackboot for another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Celebrim

Legend
That is a fair start (and a good-faith effort), but...
The first "cultural sensitivities" thread I encountered here was based on "The Vistani (in Ravenloft) are an insulting caricature of the Roma ('gypsies') people!"

I don't actually feel the Vistani were insulting caricatures, but I don't want to get that debate started again so I'm not going to get into why.

I will say that simply renaming a culture or inventing an imaginary cultural group doesn't mean that it is then impossible to portray a culture in an insulting and racist fashion. While I don't think the Vistani reached that point, had in fact they Vistani been portrayed as simplistic villains and as subhuman and loathsome rather than as something interesting, desirable, complex and even perhaps admirable within the context of Ravenloft then I would have fully agreed that the portrayal was racist. One of the reasons for that is that I sincerely doubt any content creator would do that except out of intentional libel and as a reflection of their own hatred.

Yaarel

He Mage
What they find depends on the level of fantasy and magic in the setting and how deep the historical change-point is. For a "realistic" game, I'd have them meet the Native Americans and I'd research the area to meld reality with adventuring. Perhaps, in 2018, the dominant population would Native American/Viking ethnic blending. Odin's sons might be Thunderbird and Coyote.

The Norse already have ‘thunderbirds’. A jǫtnar eagle embodies dangerous arctic storms sweeping down from the north. An other jǫtnar eagle embodies overcast wind storms.

The vikings who settled the Americas originate from Norway. In Norway, Óðinn is practicably irrelevant. Þórr that embodies lightning storms is more prominent. Similar to the way that North American Natives understand lightning to be glowing celestial snakes in the claws of the birdlike cloud, the Norse understand lightning to be the tracers of a thrown hammer from the hand of the warriorlike cloud. The Norse associate these lightning storms with the warm fertile summers, that war against the arctic winters.

As a rule, Þórr is most important in Norway, Freyr is most important in Sweden, and Óðinn is most important in Germany.

For Norway, Óðinn is a minor feature, the Norse equivalent of a Greek muse being ‘inspiration’. Heh, the skald who celebrate this muse of musical poetic inspiration give this nature spirit alot of publicity.

For what it is worth, there are reports that suggest vikings explored further south from Newfoundland in the Americas. Suspected places include Massachusetts (where indigenous grapes are the ‘wine’ of Vinland), Georgia, the Caribbean, and perhaps even further south. Vikings probably did marry into the Native Americans. The northeast Native Tribes include yDNA from Europe, some of it prehistoric, some of it is modern, but some of it appears to be medieval and possibly derives from viking settlements.

Both Natives and Norse would have animistic shaman-like worldviews. The bard class makes an excellent shaman. But most animistic worldviews are ‘psionic’ in concept. The druid class can work if representing a Norse shapeshifter or Native skinwalker. (No polytheistic clerics.)

If inventing an animistic worldview that syncretizes Native and Norse tribal believes. Perhaps Loki and Coyote are the same nature spirit, both being a trickster and shapechanger. Albeit Coyote seems less known to the Northeast.

Yaarel

He Mage
Properly speaking, ‘nationalism’ is the love, celebration, and transmission of ones own identity, ones own cultural ethnic heritage.

Some ethnic groups are highly tolerant and seek coexistence with other ethnic groups, such as Jews, Hindus, and so on.

You can love yourself − AND − love others. To love oneself authentically lacks hating everyone else. You can love others without needing to become others. Indeed, human diversity requires you to stand up for your self, and to be true to yourself. Especially when you are different from others.

As for the Aztecs and the Incans, they were both closer to the N*zi end of the nationalist spectrum than the Romans were.

Heh, this particular sentence is offensive on several levels. Comparing anything to N*zis is obviously offensive. There is no ‘spectrum’ that the N*zis are part of, unless it is one representing degree of dysfunction.

Celebrim

Legend
Heh, this particular sentence is offensive on several levels. Comparing anything to N*zis is obviously offensive. There is no ‘spectrum’ that the N*zis are part of, unless it is one representing degree of dysfunction.

You seem awfully quick to take offense, especially when you seem to understand intuitively what I was saying.

As for the rest of your post, you are clearly drawing on discussions other than the one we are having here. It would I think be a mistake to export your hard feelings from some other discussion into this one.

Yaarel

He Mage
You seem awfully quick to take offense, especially when you seem to understand intuitively what I was saying.

As for the rest of your post, you are clearly drawing on discussions other than the one we are having here. It would I think be a mistake to export your hard feelings from some other discussion into this one.

Yeah, the point was fine. It was the problematic phrasing. It seemed to imply that being strong on the ‘spectrum’ of nationalism was the same thing as dysfunctional N*zis.

The hatespeech from the N*zi and other white supremacist ideologies, actually causes the socalled ‘white race’ to hate being ‘white’. These supremacists cause profound shame and embarrassment.

If supremacists honestly want to help ‘whites’, then please, the supremacists must cease to exist.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases