Christmas Special The Snowmen

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So have you seen it?

I'll avoid spoilers, but just to say that I absolutely loved it. It had it's mix of Dr Who excitement, a touch of romance, an intriguing mystery, a nice visual, a new tardis interior, lots of self reference 'in jokes' and acceptable sentimentality for a Christmas Special, The only thing I thought was a bit naff was the 'comic sidekick'

It provided enough character development for the Doctor (if a bit rushed) and provided a good bridge from the old to new episodes and the plot hooks for the new companion and the GI were well presented and intriguing.

and the new companion is quite a hotty too:)

horacethegrey

First Post
It was good. Better than last year's special at least. Really liked the guest stars in this one, particularly Richard E. Grant as Doctor Simeon. Also nice to see the return of Strax, Vastra and Jenny Flint. Snowmen could have been scarier though, really feel they could have had more potential. And the ending was surprising to say the least, [sblock]never expected the Moff to end it in on a downer...

But then it leads to another mystery, that of Clara Oswin Oswald played by the wonderful Jenna Louise Coleman. Damn you Moffat and your season long mysteries! Argh![/sblock]

Enjoyed the episode. It got off to a bit of a slows start but was worth it in the end. Really like Jenna Louise Coleman as the new companion.

I liked it, but I thought it slow at the beginning, and the use of the word pond was alittle off.

I already like the new compainion more then I ever did amy

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Lots of cool stuff!
  • New opening titles and music
  • New TARDIS interior
  • JLC was astonishingly good
  • Gandalf!
  • The stairs to the clouds was gorgeous, whimsical, and beautiful.
  • Hey, the Doctor's married! Maybe he should mention that when someone tries to kiss him?
  • Return of The Great Intelligence from Troughton's era
  • New costume; he's still wearing most of it in the trailer for next series
  • Lots more people saying "Doctor Who?"; that's definitely coming to a head

So who or what is Clara? Is she going to be met in a first time kinda way each episode and die by the end of it? Or is it just the two deaths? The "next time" trailer refers to "the girl who died twice" or somesuch.

The only thing that really let this episode down IMO is Moffat's depiction of Sontarans. He's turned them into Gimlis - not intimidating at all; just comic relief. Plus I don't get how Clara survived that fall, even if only briefly - she didn't even have a scratch on her.

Was there more to the significance of Clara knowing the word "Pond"? The Evil Ice Nanny was in a pond, after all. Or does she know about Any and Rory?

Sherlock Holmes is officially fictional. Moffat puts to bed all those "will there ever be a crossover?" questions in one fell swoop

[video=youtube;GUIDD_sGkCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUIDD_sGkCQ[/video]

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Lots of cool stuff!

• So who or what is Clara? Is she going to be met in a first time kinda way each episode and die by the end of it? Or is it just the two deaths? The "next time" trailer refers to "the girl who died twice" or somesuch.

• Well, we know she is a Dalek or at least lived in the armor of one, so I would not be suprised to find out she is the child of Davros, part the new race that he was trying to create, if so, the armor she was in, may have been special and she may have been able to ecape from the Darlek prison planet and regenerate a body. She may also have some knowledge of the Doctor and the Ponds, even if it was removed from all computer systems.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
[*]JLC was astonishingly good
[*]The stairs to the clouds was gorgeous, whimsical, and beautiful.
[*]Hey, the Doctor's married! Maybe he should mention that when someone tries to kiss him?
[*]Return of The Great Intelligence from Troughton's era

yeah one episode and Clara is already my favourite companion ever:) She is interesting, feisty and creative. JLC is really engaging.

I think it would be fun if they played up the quirk of Clara dying in every episode, although that might get tedious.
The kiss was cool and I'd love to see Clara and the Doctor have a real romatic relationship where both of them are involved. He's been married a few times iirc correctly so monogamy doesn't seem to be a major issue:)

and I'm suspecting that some connection to the Pond family exists, given the whole build up to her "One word"

thanks too for reminding me of where the Great Intelligence first appeared (Yetis right?) nice I completely missed the Snowmen reference there

and yes I agree the starcase was nice but the Sontarans got well shafted, they use to be menacing

horacethegrey

First Post
Forgot to add to my post, but let me just say how I love the new opening titles. They're a nice shout out to the space intros of the original series while being modern at the same time. And we get to see the Doctor's face once more. Awesome. ;)

Remove ads