• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A Strahd fear variant

shoak1

Banned
Banned
I am about to begin a Strahd campaign and want all the scary stuff in Ravenloft to actually mean something, so I have developed the fear variant below, using bits and pieces of stuff from other proposals.

FEAR CHECKS
All PCs present must undergo a fear check in any encounters so designated (I have them for instance when the Strahd manniquan flys down the hallway, when certain tombs are opened, when the elevator trap is triggered, when PCs die or are knocked unconscious, when Strahd is encountered, etc). DCs are pre-designated (usually 10-20). Each PC gets a bonus to the check equal to the average modifier of his STR, INT, and WIS. When a PC accumulates fear equal to his lowest score of STR, INT, or WIS, he must roll on table A. When the total reaches his 2nd lowest stat among STR/INT/WIS, he must roll on table A and B, and of course when it reaches (and each time it exceeds) the highest of those stats, he must roll on table A, B, and C.

TABLE A d10 Effect (lasts d10 minutes)
1 The PC retreats into his mind and is paralyzed. Effect ends if the PC takes damage from an enemy.
2 The PC becomes incapacitated and begins to alrenately laugh, scream, and weep. Effect ends if the PC takes damage from an enemy.
3-4 The PC begins babbling and is incapable of normal speech (which precludes most spellcasting).
5-6 The PC becomes frightened.
7 The PC is affected as if by the command spell by the 1st creature to speak to them after the end of each of their turns.
8 The PC is stunned.
9-10 Whenever the PC takes damage, he or she must succeed on WIS save DC 15 or be affected as the confusion spell
3-4 The PC regards the source of madness as if affected by the antipathy spell.
5 The PC imagines that he is under the effects of a random potion.
6 The PC becomes attached to a random person or object, and has DIS on attacks, checks, and saves while >30’ from it.
7 The PC has DIS on WIS/CHA checks due to intense paranoia.
8-9 The PC experiences uncontrollable tremors, which impose DIS on attacks, checks, and saves that involve STR or DEX.
10 The PC loses the ability to speak (which precludes most spellcasting).
TABLE C d10

2-3
5-7

Effect (lasts til long rest)
The PC doesn’t recognize other people or remember anything that happened before the madness took effect.
The PC must use his action each round to attack the nearest creature
The PC is blinded (25%) or deafened (75%)
The PC is frightened and must use his action and move each round to flee from the source of the fear until ≥1 mile away.
9-10
The PC falls unconscious.
The PC surrenders to the nearest enemy.

I have to say that sounds a bit complicated. 2E Ravenloft fear checks were just saving throws - vs. paralyzation, IIRC.

I think a simple save or be frightened (the condition) would be the closest 5E version.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=54380]shoak1[/MENTION] I appreciate the effort you've put into making "frightened" more granular, however I have the same concern as [MENTION=11368]Khisanth the Ancient[/MENTION] that this may be too complicated.

Also, would your players find being incapacitated, paralyzed, or stunned by fear that fun to play? Maybe so at your table, which is fine, but IME this would not go over well with players I've gamed with.

And lastly, why is STR involved in resisting fear? I can understand INT (rationalizing it away), WIS (force of will), or even CHA (force of personality) being used in a fear save/check, but STR? Who the what?

shoak1

Banned
Banned
[MENTION=54380]shoak1[/MENTION] I appreciate the effort you've put into making "frightened" more granular, however I have the same concern as [MENTION=11368]Khisanth the Ancient[/MENTION] that this may be too complicated.

Also, would your players find being incapacitated, paralyzed, or stunned by fear that fun to play? Maybe so at your table, which is fine, but IME this would not go over well with players I've gamed with.

And lastly, why is STR involved in resisting fear? I can understand INT (rationalizing it away), WIS (force of will), or even CHA (force of personality) being used in a fear save/check, but STR? Who the what?

The effects you mentioned are on Table A, lasting d10 minutes only. Table B's longer lasting effects are more of a malus type effect. Table 3 has some incapacitating type effects, but that represents final stage fear. Remember, long resting removes even the worst of the effects.

As for STR being involved, 2 reasons - 1) just as in the real world, the big burly guy rippling w/muscle is often more fearless than the skinny wimpy dude :), 2) I want PCs to have a decent chance of avoiding fear whether they are a martial or caster type

I'd suggest maybe something like this

Fear Checks
While within Ravenloft, if the PCs are faced with an opponent stronger than themselves (CR greater than the average party level) and are aware of this, or if an opponent has successfully deceived the PCs into believing they are facing such an overwhelming foe, a fear check is required.

The first time any PC or NPC ally of comparable power (minor NPCs, beastmaster companions, summoned creatures etc. don't count) reaches 0 hit points each day, a fear check is also required for all PCs present and aware of the character's fall.

A fear check is a Wisdom saving throw, DC 15. Characters that fail have disadvantage on ability checks or attack rolls made on their next turn. Characters that fail by 5 or more are frightened for 1 minute.

Alternatively, you can impose a bonus or a penalty on the check, depending on whether the player is alone, or with his companions. This could be an effective way to discourage splitting the party.

As for your idea, it seems some what similar to some of the sanity checks in D20 Call of Cthulhu, if a bit more complicated. Simplicity may be key. I have no issue with STR being a stat for courage, that makes sense. In fact, I think force of personality (CHA) is far less logical. Sorry, Quickleaf. B-)

But you know, I'm not quick to dismiss a new idea. I'd say, play test it a bit first. Run a quick one-off, and see if your system works. Then refine it accordingly. I like the idea of the effects of fear escalating, and rolling on new tables. But I'm not entirely sure about tying it to your lowest ability score, or second lowest ability score. That seems a bit bizarre.

Why not simply have a set amount of courage, equal to your highest stat (STR, INT, or WILL), and have the players lose courage, instead of gaining fear? When they lose more than 1/4 of their max courage, roll on the first table. More than 1/2 of their courage, roll on the second table. When they reach 0, they become catatonic, or you roll on the third table. Then allow players to regain 1 courage through short rests, or 1d4+1 courage through long rests.

Last edited:

Remove ads