• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Striking a target's weapon

kreynolds

First Post
This is from the SRD from the Strike an Object combat action:

Attacking a held, carried, or worn object provokes an attack of opportunity. Objects that are held, carried, or worn by a combatant, are harder to hit. The object uses the combatant's Dexterity modifier (not its own –5) and any magic deflection bonus to AC the combatant may have. The attacker doesn't get any special bonus for attacking the object. If the target object is in the opponent's hand, it gets a +5 AC bonus because the opponent can move it quickly out of harm's way.

Does this mean that when attacking someone's sword (such as strike a weapon or sunder), you base the AC off of their sword? Or do you just roll against your opponents AC? Probably a stupid question, but, oh well. I just realized that whenever I have done this in game, my various DMs all have me just roll against the target's AC, not the weapon's. Wasn't sure if this was right or not, even though it would make it easier in some situations. As a DM, this has never come up for me.

Remove ads