How to buy-off +2 LA?

Ragmon

Explorer
Hi guys. (I'm not sure if this is a double post or not).

So, my character is a Karsite (ToM), with +2 LA.

How would I go about buying-off the 2 level adjustments? I read the rules for this, but I just don't understand it.

The character is at ECL 9 (39043 XP).

Thanks in a advance.

ephemeron

Explorer
You mean these rules?

You'd effectively sacrifice 8000 XP (reducing your XP total) to reduce the LA to +1, turning him into an ECL 8 character with 31043 XP, then another 7000 to get rid of the last point of LA, leaving him ECL 7 with 24043 XP.

Then advancement will happen normally from there -- hitting level 8 at 28000 XP and so forth.

nogray

Adventurer
I'm going off memory, being away from my books at the moment, but here goes:

At class level 6 (3*LA, ECL 8), you can buy off your first LA. You do this by paying 7000 XP, which should reduce your ECL to somewhere in the level 7 region. You can repeat this at level 9 (ECL 10), paying another 9000 XP. There is no guidance as to what to do in your case, where you have missed the first opportunity. Were I DM, I would happily let you retcon the character's advancement, but I could see someone ruling you had to buy it off at your current level (costing you 8000 XP) and three levels later (costing 10000 XP at level 10/ECL 11).

----------------------------------------------

Note that @ephemeron is close to correct, but there is a mandatory 3-level waiting period between buying off LAs.

Last edited:

Remove ads