Dagger Master Feat

Maybe I am going about this all the wrong way, maybe this needs to be a fighter subclass: Invisible Blade.

Inchoroi, if you have access to it, look at the Invisible Blade prestige class for 3.5 D&D, its in Complete Warrior page 45. That is the inspiration for all of this along with trying to make daggers a weapon worth using in combat.

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
As to a reskin of Sharpshooter, far as I can tell you can already use Sharpshooter with Daggers making you more Master Thrower than Invisible Blade.

Sharpshooter only applies to ranged attacks. You'd need to reskin it to restrict it to small, finesseable, weapons to balance it for HTH combat. You might have to restrict it further, too.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Maybe I am going about this all the wrong way, maybe this needs to be a fighter subclass: Invisible Blade.

Inchoroi, if you have access to it, look at the Invisible Blade prestige class for 3.5 D&D, its in Complete Warrior page 45. That is the inspiration for all of this along with trying to make daggers a weapon worth using in combat.

Yeah, I dug it out about an hour ago. Took half an hour just to find the book...haven't looked at them in years.

I don't think the Bleeding wound thing is going to be viable, not because it'd be broken (it wouldn't) but because it might be easily forgettable. I'd probably allow it (or, alternatively, add it to the Assassin archetype for rogue) but make sure that the player keeps track of it, so I don't have to. I also think it kind of violates the spirit of 5e, since things like that are supposed to be giving advantage/disadvantage, rather than static bonuses. However, if I were to do something like that, I'd do it like this:

Dagger Master version 2:

Dagger Master
Prerequisite: 13 Dex
You are a master of small blades and knowing where to strike to do the most damage.
* Whenever you successfully damage an opponent with your daggers, you may inflict a wound on the target. You may only inflict one wound per round, but may inflict wounds on multiple opponents in an encounter. Whenever you make a successful attack, you deal one additional slashing damage per wound the target possesses. Targets can remove wounds with a successful Medicine check, at a DC equal to 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency bonus; healing class features or spells automatically removes all wounds on a target, as well.
* If you successfully parry a melee attack, you can expend your reaction, and gain advantage on your next attack against that target, before the end of your next turn.

was

Adventurer
What about simply replacing the extra damage with a much higher critical threat range? Maybe say 17 or 18 through 20. That should reflect increased expertise with daggers and give you a chance to do more damage.

Last edited:

Inchoroi

Adventurer
What about simply replacing the extra damage with a much higher critical threat range? Maybe say 17 or 18 through 20. That should reflect increased expertise with daggers and give you a chance to do more damage.

That would obviate the Champion archetype completely, I'd think; its also not a design space that's explored in any other feat, so I'd stay away from it.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter

That would obviate the Champion archetype completely, I'd think; its also not a design space that's explored in any other feat, so I'd stay away from it.

The solution to the problem specified here would be rather than the feat giving a set extended crit range... instead it would extend a PC's crit range by one point. So a PC with normally a 20 would go to a 19-20, and the Champion (should he ever choose to actually fight with daggers) would go from 20 / 19-20 / 18-20 to 19-20 / 18-20 / 17-20.

An extended crit range was also my initial thought for a "damage-dealing" ability this feat if for no other reason that this was the primary special ability of the Dagger Master prestige class in 3E-- an extended crit range when using daggers.

Been starting to think that maybe the real solution here is to just go Monk, I had wanted to do a fighter style with a feat, but in the end dagger as far as I can tell is a Monk weapon, which means you can substitute your unarmed damage for the weapon when you hit, thus eventually making daggers eventually deal d8s and d10s. And monk would fit most of the other Invisible Blade stuff with the no armor, etc.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Been starting to think that maybe the real solution here is to just go Monk, I had wanted to do a fighter style with a feat, but in the end dagger as far as I can tell is a Monk weapon, which means you can substitute your unarmed damage for the weapon when you hit, thus eventually making daggers eventually deal d8s and d10s. And monk would fit most of the other Invisible Blade stuff with the no armor, etc.

Plus the Way of the Shadow shenanigans.

Remove ads