• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with new smackdown: Dwarven Dragon of Death

bret

First Post
I think this one is a little strange, but I like the imagery.

Dwarven dragon of death

Barbarian 2 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 3 / Sorc 2 / Dragon Disciple 5

BAB +12.

Take the fighter levels after the 5 levels of Dragon Disciple. You are a dwarf, so there is no XP penalty.

Feats:
Ambidexterous, Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization and Improved Critical: Dwarven Waraxe

Improved Initiative (so we can get a surprise round)

2 feats left, probably use them for Power Attack and Cleave so that the character has a better chance to actually use all their attacks. ;)

Items important to the smackdown:
+6 Belt of strength
Two Dwarven Waraxes +5 of speed (effective +9 weapon)

Str 18 + 4 leveling + 4 Dragon Disciple +6 Item +4 rage = 36

Since you are size large from the Dragon Disciple, you can wield the Dwarven Waraxe as a light one handed martial weapon. Since they are weapons of speed, you get an additional attack with each hand.

Being size large also gives you reach, which I'm not taking advantage of at the moment.

In the surprise round, you charge up to within 10' of your opponent, taking your attack. Doesn't do the required 200 hp damage, bummer.

Next round you get your 7 attacks (3 primary, 2 secondary +1 primary from speed, +1 secondary from speed)

Each attack does:
d10 + 13 (str) +2 (ws) + 5 (weapon) + 2d6 (sneak attack) = d10 + 20 + 2d6, average of 32 damage

32 * 7 = 224, just enough to qualify.

Without surprise, we are only doing an average of 25 damage a hit. Only 175 damage, not quite enough to qualify.

The thing is, I'm sure this can be improved on. I'm only using PHB and Tome & Blood. Don't have a copy of any of the other class splatbooks.

I thought about taking SpellSword in there so the character could wear armor while doing this. Makes more sense, but the 3 levels of rogue gave me more damage in a surprise round.

For those who want it, I get the following attack bonus:
12 BAB +13 Str +5 Weapon -2 TWF = 28

Attacks would be at:
+28 / +28 / +23 / +18 primary
+28 / +28 / +23 secondary

Anyone have some suggestions on how to improve on this?

maddman75

First Post
Add boots of speed, activate them in the suprise round.

With the partial action, cast True Strike

Next round, move up to enemy and do full attack, with a power attack - have to do some math to figure out exactly how much. Of course, you're paying for 2 +9 weapons. Since you're a sorcerer, you could always go with a scroll or potion in a Heward's Handy Haversack instead of the boots.

HTH

madd

bret

First Post
Although I could do a partial charge during the surprise round with Boots of Speed, it still isn't enough to break the 200 point barrier. You could even put the character in Rhino hide and it still doesn't do it because it is a single attack.

Need the full 7 attacks with 2d6 of bonus in order to break the threshold.

Since Weapon of Speed doesn't stack with Haste, no sense in putting them in.

I tried to come up with something that would give it off the Sorcerer spells, adding Spellstoring to the weapons to max them out. Still couldn't break the barrier.

As for the +9 weapons, I'm not sure what the equipment maximums are. If it violates them, you could go down to +2 weapons of speed (effective +6) and still (just barely) break the barrier. Other way would be to go down to a pair of +1 weapons of speed and say a friendly cleric or wizard/sorcerer cast Greater Magic Weapon on each of the two axes. Since he has feats left, you could even have him take leadership so it is a henchperson doing it.

If there is some way to get +4 damage per attack using three levels, you could use that instead of the Rogue levels. Is there some sort of Prestige Class that would bump up his average damage?

Caliber

Explorer
I haven't spent long looking at the character but I can tell you the Singh Rager (a PrC from OA) has the ability to make a full attack after a charge. This could likely be exactly what you need to help yourself out. Hope it helps. :)

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
A different Dwarven Dragon smackdown

My advice: drop the rogue levels for more dragon disciple levels. The extra strength from the size increase and the full dragon disciple class really adds up.

Dwarf Ftr 4/Sor1/Bbn 1/Dragon Disciple 10

Str: 16 (base)+4 stat increases+8 Dragon Disciple+8 Dragon Disciple Enlargement+4 belt+4 rage+2 book=46 (+18 bonus)

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Power Lunge, Weapon Focus: Heavy Pick, Weapon Specialization: Heavy Pick, Improved Critical: Heavy Pick, Power Critical: Heavy Pick, Large and In Charge.

Equipment: Boots of Speed, +5 large Heavy Pick

Surprise Roudn: Activate Boots of Speed (partial), cast True Strike (Haste Partial)
Round 1: Partial Charge (Rage and then Power Lunge, Power Attack +12, Use Power Critical) (4d8+220 unless you somehow miss or fail to confirm the threat at +46); Full attack +24/+19/+14 for 1d8+37 per hit.

Assuming the threat hits and confirms and two of the other attacks hit, that works out to: 331 points of damage.

For a version that's more similar to the initial smackdown:
Ftr 4/Bbn2/Dragon Disciple 10
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Two Weapon Fighting, Ambidexterity, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Dwarven War Axe, Weapon Focus: Dwarven War Axe, Weapon Specialization: Dwarven War Axe, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Critical: Dwarven Waraxe, Large and In Charge.

Str: 16 (initial)+4 (stat increases)+8 (Dragon Disciple)+8 (dragon disciple size increase)+6 (belt)+4(rage)=46 (+18 bonus)
Dex: 15 initial (to enable him to qualify for ambidexterity)-2(dragon disciple size increase) +4 gloves=17 (+3 bonus)

Equipment: One Large +5 Dwarven Waraxe of speed (2d8 damage), one medium +5 dwarven waraxe of speed (1d10) damage, belt of giant strength +6, Gloves of dexterity +4

Surprise Round
Partial charge: Attack with the large dwarven waraxe at +38 for 2d8+25 (average 34 points of damage).
Round 1: Full attack +34/+34/+34/+34/+29/+29/+24
4x (2d8+25) and 3x (1d10+17)=136+ 67.5 average=203.5

Total: 237.5 points of damage.

Both of them deal out a ton of damage, and also quite significantly, Large and In Charge will make them almost impossible to close with.

Rhino Hide armor, would naturally make either of these smackdowns better. An elemental burst weapon would really improve the first one as well.

Remove ads