DDXP Begins Today!

Falstaff

First Post
Frankly, I think your ideal 5e is being printed in April. It's a limited run though, so make sure you reserve your copy.

Yeah man, I have all the AD&D books I need, but I did call my local shop and pre-ordered a set the day they were announced. Looking forward to the cover art reveal.

Falstaff

First Post
I absolutely agree that the core game ought to be dead simple (and thus, in many ways, "classic"), but that's for the sake of the poor, bewildered new players. I figure we veterans can figure out which modular bits we need to add to play the game we want. It seems unreasonable to write the game off for allowing options which aren't to your taste.

That said, I certainly understand that any new game is going to have to offer something better than the game you're already happy with in order for it to be worth your time and money. I just hope you give it a chance to prove its worth, rather than seeing the inclusion of other playstyles as an exclusion of yours.

I will say that I really want to like this new edition. I want WotC to win me over. We'll see, but some of today's reveals have left me less excited.

Ichneumon

First Post
...I see the word Warlock or Tiefling anywhere? I'm out...

While I can understand different tastes, and filtering the available options to suit one's own home game, thinking that the presence of the Warlock or Tiefling gives a game warlock-cooties or tiefling-cooties does puzzle me.

ferratus

Adventurer
I will say that I really want to like this new edition. I want WotC to win me over. We'll see, but some of today's reveals have left me less excited.

Even the return of fat halflings? The return of halflings that look like plump hobbits in the artwork is my best news of the day.

Falstaff

First Post
While I can understand different tastes, and filtering the available options to suit one's own home game, thinking that the presence of the Warlock or Tiefling gives a game warlock-cooties or tiefling-cooties does puzzle me.

Call it what you want, but that isn't D&D to me and I won't play or buy it. Simple as that.

I don't like almonds in my candy bars either, so I don't but candy bars with almonds. I don't hate them or wish them ill will, I just buy and enjoy other candy bars.

Falstaff

First Post
Even the return of fat halflings? The return of halflings that look like plump hobbits in the artwork is my best news of the day.

If the game does, in fact, use more Tolkien-like classes and races (like this fat halfling that they're speaking of and the Aragorn-type ranger), then that suits my style of D&D just fine. But words are wind. We'll see.

ferratus

Adventurer
Call it what you want, but that isn't D&D to me and I won't play or buy it. Simple as that.

I don't like almonds in my candy bars either, so I don't but candy bars with almonds. I don't hate them or wish them ill will, I just buy and enjoy other candy bars.

Yeah, but the stated design goal of this edition is not to be a single food item but instead to be more of a buffet. If you are going out to a buffet and there is one tray that has a side dish you don't like, you don't go to another restaurant. You just don't dig out of that tray.

Falstaff

First Post
Yeah, but the stated design goal of this edition is not to be a single food item but instead to be more of a buffet. If you are going out to a buffet and there is one tray that has a side dish you don't like, you don't go to another restaurant. You just don't dig out of that tray.

Okay, that's true. I guess my argument isn't constructed too well. You know, I guess I just need to come to the realization that I've been playing this game for about 33 years and that I'm a die-hard fan of classic fantasy and Gygaxian game design, and that my taste in what I expect D&D to be just aren't gonna manifest in any new books nowadays, and that I should just keep on enjoying the D&D that I already have and like. There'll be less disappointment that way.

paladinm

First Post
I wonder if Aragorn would really fit the Ranger model as laid out in Any version of D&D.. Granted, he was always a stealthy fighter with woodland experience and tracking abilities; but I don't believe he had mage/cleric abilities (like in OD&D) or druid abilities (like in later versions). I kinda think he became almost a paladin after he claimed Anduril (and his kingship). But I digress..lol

GreatLemur

Explorer
I wonder if Aragorn would really fit the Ranger model as laid out in Any version of D&D.. Granted, he was always a stealthy fighter with woodland experience and tracking abilities; but I don't believe he had mage/cleric abilities (like in OD&D) or druid abilities (like in later versions). I kinda think he became almost a paladin after he claimed Anduril (and his kingship). But I digress..lol
I'm not a Tolkien guy by any stretch, but might he have had Warlord abilities? Like, a Ranger that had swapped out his spellcasting abilities for a Warlord kit?

Remove ads