D&D 5E Arcane multiclassing... does it make sense?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I'd be really interested to see how the "different experience tracks for different classes" works in practise. Of course you'd need to make some changes, like not amalgamating the spells per day charts and the like...

Coroc

Hero
As [MENTION=6816042]Arilyn[/MENTION] said, but I'm also curious:

You state that sentence like it's absolute fact. Do you think that all power hungry wizards should be played as seeking lichdom?

also [MENTION=6816042]Arilyn[/MENTION] and [MENTION=93444]shidaku[/MENTION]

No, of course not since this is also obviously a truly evil choice, if you care about alignments in your games at all. But it is one way to rise above status, others might be finding the fountain of youth or the Philosopher's stone or learning every known spell
to be the greatest wizard of them all.

But that is longing for more knowledge, for a broader variety of spells not limiting oneself to the small selection of spells a warlock has got, and turning into a glass cannon depending on the mercy of some patron, and in the same time eventually cutting oneself of to learn the higher wizard spell levels.

There may be roleplaying solutions to this but I stand by my point, it is not the obvious thing to multiclass into anything for a wizard.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Why would wizards want lichdom? They can get most of the benefits through combinations of other spells without risking a ritual that kills them and alters their personality...

Remove ads