Game Mechanics And Player Agency

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

From the very first iteration of Dungeons & Dragons in 1974, there have been mechanics in place in RPGs to force certain decisions upon players. A classic D&D example is the charm person spell, which allows the spell caster to bring someone under their control and command. (The 1983 D&D Basic Set even includes such a possible outcome in its very first tutorial adventure, in which your hapless Fighter may fall under the sway of Bargle and "decide" to let the outlaw magic-user go free even after murdering your friend Aleena!)

It didn't take long for other RPGs to start experimenting with even greater mechanical methods of limiting player agency. Call of Cthulhu (1981) introduced the Sanity mechanic as a way of tracking the player-characters' mental stress and degeneration in the face of mind-blasting horrors. But the Temporary Insanity rules also dictated that PCs exposed to particularly nasty shocks were no longer necessarily in control of their own actions. The current edition of the game even gives the Call of Cthulhu GM carte blanche to dictate the hapless investigator's fate, having the PC come to their senses hours later having been robbed, beaten, or even institutionalized!

King Arthur Pendragon debuted in 1985 featuring even more radical behavioral mechanics. The game's system of Traits and Passions perfectly mirrors the Arthurian tales, in which normally sensible and virtuous knights and ladies with everything to lose risk it all in the name of love, hatred, vengeance, or petty jealousy. So too are the player-knights of the game driven to foolhardy heroism or destructive madness, quite often against the players' wishes. Indeed, suffering a bout of madness in Pendragon is enough to put a player-knight out of the game sometimes for (quite literally) many game-years on end…and if the player-knight does return, they are apt to have undergone significant trauma reflected in altered statistics.

The legacies of Call of Cthulhu and King Arthur Pendragon have influenced numerous other game designs down to this day, and although the charm person spell is not nearly as all-powerful as it was when first introduced in 1974 ("If the spell is successful it will cause the charmed entity to come completely under the influence of the Magic-User until such time as the 'charm' is dispelled[.]"), it and many other mind-affecting spells and items continue to bedevil D&D adventurers of all types.

Infringing on player agency calls for great care in any circumstance. As alluded to at the top of this article, GMs already have so much power in the game, that to appear to take any away from the players is bound to rankle. This is likely why games developed mechanical means to allow GMs to do so in order to make for a more interesting story without appearing biased or arbitrary. Most players, after all, would refuse to voluntarily submit to the will of an evil wizard, to faint or flee screaming in the presence of cosmic horror, or to attack an ally or lover in a blind rage. Yet these moments are often the most memorable of a campaign, and they are facilitated by behavioral mechanics.

What do you think? What's your personal "red line" for behavioral mechanics? Do behavioral mechanics have any place in RPGs, and if so, to what extent? Most crucially: do they enhance narrative or detract from it?

contributed by David Larkins

5ekyu

Hero
Just an observation... For me and my group, we dont see discussions, debates and interaction between pcs as "game delaying".

We see them as "game playing."

We also see the characters working out "how we work things out" in character as very useful and usually enjoyable as working thru internal issues is as much an element of advancement or accomplishment as any of the external objectives with greater net gains in many cases.

I think a key difference is, to me and mine, once the "how we work togethers" get worked thru, it usually becomes a thing of the past and future "game delaying debates" dont happen and become just planning.

On the other hand it seems the dice off and sometimes you win sometime i win actually depends on it continuing to happen over and over so that the wins and losses play out to get rhe "sometimes you, sometimes me".

aramis erak

Legend
Where is that written?

And where is that written?

Both can be found in general social skills training in elementary school. They're fundamental principles of US society as indoctrinated in the public schools.

Both the principle of democratic process, and debate is taught as an attempt to convince the audience, and the means of public discourse for "civilized Americans."

Both are also supposedly part of the UK culture as well. At least, US history as in the majority of elementary and secondary texts teaches that we inherited those principles from the UK prior to telling HRM George III to do bugger off.

I'd say they're just shy of self-evident as natural law, as well. Even dictators can only push so far before someone removes them from office by kinetic energy dump or poison.

To answer Pemerton:

I've found that, the moment both players become personally invested in the debate, rather than invested on behalf of the character, it's time for a mechanical resolution.

Sadras

Legend
In my main 4e game (which has been on hold for most of a year while one member of the group renovates his house), the PCs' amibtion is to make it the case that the time of the Dusk War has not yet come. Yet one PC is also committed to assembling the Rod of Seven Parts, even though it is known that this is a harbinger of the Dusk War. And most of the PCs are opposed to reformulating the Lattice of Heaven, but (i) help with the assembling of the Rod, which will then allow the Lattice of Heaven to be rebuilt, and (ii) keep doing things that further the interests of the Raven Queen, although that also seems to be about helping her re-establishe the Lattice of Heaven with her as the ruler of the cosmos.

These conflicts between hopes and actions, with interweave with discordant goals among the PCs, could well lead to failure.

I do like this idea about the Rod of 7 Parts being prophecised to being a harbringer of something bad, I might have to steal it. :p Our table is getting close to the second part but they have not as yet figured out exactly what it is.

I agree, the instances you listed were all equivalent of failure.

I have posted about using a particular mechanical method to reach a paeticular compromise - do we go to place X next, or to place Y. Some posters have treated this as (more-or-less) equivalent to - do we do thing A, or thing B; where things A and B are understood as extended over some period of time.

This makes sense if one assumes that place X is where thing A is going to happen, and place Y is where thing B is going to happen. But if that assumption doesn't hold, then nor does the equivalence.

In the sort of game I run, the assumption doesn't hold. Place X is different from place Y, and so offers different opportunities for players to declare actions (eg you can declare different actions in the Abyss compared to the Underdark). But there is no concern that X means some pre-determined A which is different from the B the compromising PC (and player) may have wanted to pursue. Even in place X, stuff is still going to happen that speaks to that PC (it will just be Abyssal stuff rather than Underdark-y stuff).

This appears to makes X and Y choices for colour only as A + B can both be accomplished in either destination. Who comes up with X and Y?

pemerton

Legend
This appears to makes X and Y choices for colour only as A + B can both be accomplished in either destination. Who comes up with X and Y?
I wouldn't say "colour only".

In my 4e game, if I'm recalling correctly, X was going into the Underdark to find and destroy Torog's Soul Abattoir, and Y was going to the Abyss to the beseiged fortress of Mal Arundak. I think the paladin of the Raven Queen was the main advocate for X, the invoker/wizard the maink advocate for Y. The possibility of X - ie that Torog has a Soul Abattoir in the Underdark - was established relatively early in the campaign (ie some time in Heroic Tier) because when the PCs reached 11th level and the paladin took on the Questing Knight paragon path, the player knew (in the sense of chose, with the feeling that there was on other choice) that his PC's quest was to destroy the Soul Abattoir. As far as I know the only mention of the Soul Abattoir is in the Underdark hardback, so I would have intoduced it into play having read that book.

Mal Arundak is described in The Plane Below. It was introduced into play much later - I can't remember how, but it would have been something that was told to the invoker/wizard, maybe connected to backstory around Miska the Wolf-Spider.

When the PCs agree to go to Mal Arundak rather than the Soul Abattoir (as resolved at the table via an opposed check between the two sides), they are determining that the next little while of play will involve Abyssal stuff rather than Underdark-y stuff. So it won't be possible to destroy the Soul Abattoir. But because of the way the game is being run, I'm still going to be establishing situations that engage the paladin: on the Abyss the paladin (together with the other PCs) was attacked by his rival Ometh, and this resulted in a subsequent crisis that called the party from Mal Arundak back to the mortal world.

aramis erak

Legend
Just an observation... For me and my group, we dont see discussions, debates and interaction between pcs as "game delaying".

We see them as "game playing."

We also see the characters working out "how we work things out" in character as very useful and usually enjoyable as working thru internal issues is as much an element of advancement or accomplishment as any of the external objectives with greater net gains in many cases.

I think a key difference is, to me and mine, once the "how we work togethers" get worked thru, it usually becomes a thing of the past and future "game delaying debates" dont happen and become just planning.

On the other hand it seems the dice off and sometimes you win sometime i win actually depends on it continuing to happen over and over so that the wins and losses play out to get rhe "sometimes you, sometimes me".

The way it is written in Burning Wheel, if it affects a character sheet, it needs a roll.

That's not how I run, tho'. I go to the dice PVP when...
  • Everyone else is bored
  • It's become personal to either player
  • Someone wants experience for it. (in games like Pendragon or BRP)
  • Either player requests it.

Failing to follow through with what the roll indicates gets an XP penalty in games that use it. In games that don't (like BRP, Pendragon), social pressure usually is enough, and when it's not, i've been known to bounce players.

GM v Players, if the rules don't explicitly specify difference for PC vs NPC, I'll use it with the specified rolls, possibly inverted so the player may make the roll.

The BW approach is useful, tho', when time is of the essence - short sessions, or late in session. But in BW, it's also important for the roll to be present - the roll is what earns the experience check. Oh, and in BW, you can give a help die to your opponent...

Duel of Wits is for major stuff. A simple opposed roll is the standard in BW for the little stuff. BW is built for PVP.

Sadras

Legend
I wouldn't say "colour only".

In my 4e game, if I'm recalling correctly, X was going into the Underdark to find and destroy Torog's Soul Abattoir, and Y was going to the Abyss to the beseiged fortress of Mal Arundak. I think the paladin of the Raven Queen was the main advocate for X, the invoker/wizard the maink advocate for Y.

You initially described X and Y locations are not necessarily do A and B respectively. But your above example reflects that it is just that. Go to X (Underdark) to do A (destroy the Soul Abattoir), go to Y (Abyss) to do B (backstory at Mal Arundak).

pemerton

Legend
I have posted about using a particular mechanical method to reach a paeticular compromise - do we go to place X next, or to place Y. Some posters have treated this as (more-or-less) equivalent to - do we do thing A, or thing B; where things A and B are understood as extended over some period of time.

This makes sense if one assumes that place X is where thing A is going to happen, and place Y is where thing B is going to happen. But if that assumption doesn't hold, then nor does the equivalence.

In the sort of game I run, the assumption doesn't hold. Place X is different from place Y, and so offers different opportunities for players to declare actions (eg you can declare different actions in the Abyss compared to the Underdark). But there is no concern that X means some pre-determined A which is different from the B the compromising PC (and player) may have wanted to pursue. Even in place X, stuff is still going to happen that speaks to that PC (it will just be Abyssal stuff rather than Underdark-y stuff).
You initially described X and Y locations are not necessarily do A and B respectively. But your above example reflects that it is just that. Go to X (Underdark) to do A (destroy the Soul Abattoir), go to Y (Abyss) to do B (backstory at Mal Arundak).
Go to Y (Abyss) and confront Ometh (thereby freeing the Raven Queen from blackmail) and find the lost tomb of King Elidyr. Go to X (Underdark) and meet devils who serve Levistus.

Even in place X, stuff is still going to happen that speaks to the invoker/wizard PC. Even in place Y, stuff is still going to happen that speaks to the paladin of the Raven Queen.

Whether the PCs go to the Abyss or the Underdark, there is no single predetermined thing that is happening, that will orphan the other PCs (and players) from their particular concerns. I think this is a real thing that makes dicing for compromise easier to take.

Sadras

Legend
Go to Y (Abyss) and confront Ometh (thereby freeing the Raven Queen from blackmail) and find the lost tomb of King Elidyr. Go to X (Underdark) and meet devils who serve Levistus.

Even in place X, stuff is still going to happen that speaks to the invoker/wizard PC. Even in place Y, stuff is still going to happen that speaks to the paladin of the Raven Queen.

Whether the PCs go to the Abyss or the Underdark, there is no single predetermined thing that is happening, that will orphan the other PCs (and players) from their particular concerns. I think this is a real thing that makes dicing for compromise easier to take.

Who raises goals C (confronting Ometh) + D (meet the devils who serve Levistus)?
Are they raised when dicing for compromise is required?

Primary goals A + B are established in play by both player and DM
If I understand correctly:
Given that you describe your games as player-driven that the Story is created by the players on successful checks.
When they fail a SC, that allows you to push/direct the Story. So I imagine A + B would have only been created by you (as DM) when the PCs failed a check.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases