D&D's Going To The Barrier Peaks

"In prior community polls, we’ve asked for your thoughts on elemental trinkets, things carried in a giant’s bag, and unusual lich phylacteries." In other words, "we've asked you for your thoughts on previously upcoming adventures (PotA, SKT, and ToA)." The question is, will the forthcoming book be a compilation of classic modules a la Tales from the Yawning Portal or a fleshed-out...

"In prior community polls, we’ve asked for your thoughts on elemental trinkets, things carried in a giant’s bag, and unusual lich phylacteries."

In other words, "we've asked you for your thoughts on previously upcoming adventures (PotA, SKT, and ToA)."

The question is, will the forthcoming book be a compilation of classic modules a la Tales from the Yawning Portal or a fleshed-out, updated version of a classic module a la Curse of Strahd?

Well, this could satiate the thirst for Greyhawk related content for a while...

It would be nice to have some Spelljammer/Greyspace connection within this version of the module.

RobJN

Adventurer
And don't leave out The Temple of the Frog from Blackmoor. It had laser pistols etc. and a crewman from the crashed ship / City of the Gods...

Don't get me wrong, I would totally buy a "Adventures in Blackmoor" hardback book compiling the DA series with extra goodies...... but not if they shoehorned it into the Realms.:yawn:

Different things really. "Blackmoor" hinges on the anchient history of the setting. The spaceship in "Barrier Peaks" comes from a different universe entierly, so could land anywhere without affecting the setting.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
Never liked that one. A failed attempt to show that D&D rules also worked for a sci-fi setting. Except they didn't.

Oh please, it wasn't a "failed attempt" at anything - Gamma World had already been out for years by the time this was published. This was a publication of a well-received tournament module, like many of the early adventures.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Oh cool! I never got the chance to play this module when I was young. I heard lots of stories from people who had however, and always wanted to.

I wonder if PCs who complete Yawning Portal will be of an appropriate level for this?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh cool! I never got the chance to play this module when I was young. I heard lots of stories from people who had however, and always wanted to.

I wonder if PCs who complete Yawning Portal will be of an appropriate level for this?

The original is called out as 8-12, so my gut fit in better before the end of TftYP.

Jhaelen

First Post
This was a publication of a well-received tournament module, like many of the early adventures.
You mean a tournament module like the 'Tomb of Horrors'? Small wonder then it's so bad. The idea of playing D&D as a kind of tournament was, is, and will be terrible. But that's just my opinion. If you enjoy that kind of thing, more power to you.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
You mean a tournament module like the 'Tomb of Horrors'? Small wonder then it's so bad. The idea of playing D&D as a kind of tournament was, is, and will be terrible. But that's just my opinion. If you enjoy that kind of thing, more power to you.

Yes, I mean like Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl, Hall of the Fire Giant King, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, and several others. You know, many of the foundational adventures of the game?

As published, they don't really focus on the competitive aspect, though some of them include the details if the DM wants to use them that way. Playing through them in the typical way at home with friends isn't affected by this one way or the other.

It does have a "gimmick" with the whole crashed spaceship thing but it's a really good gimmick. That's why it keeps popping up in things like this and Pathfinder's Iron Gods AP among others.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, I mean like Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl, Hall of the Fire Giant King, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, and several others. You know, many of the foundational adventures of the game?

As published, they don't really focus on the competitive aspect, though some of them include the details if the DM wants to use them that way. Playing through them in the typical way at home with friends isn't affected by this one way or the other.

It does have a "gimmick" with the whole crashed spaceship thing but it's a really good gimmick. That's why it keeps popping up in things like this and Pathfinder's Iron Gods AP among others.

I haven't played it, but my impression is that EttBP is an excercise in NOT metagaming: the players will understand a lot of aspects of play, but it wouldn't be appropriate to use all of that knowledge.

Remove ads

Remove ads