[5E] Interrupting a Spellcaster via Ready Action

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
And if the "Cast a Spell" action was made up of sub-actions, the interruption of which caused a concentration check or the spell failed you might be on to something. Notice how the Multiattack quote makes no mention of your action stopping the first attack, or any of the subsequent attacks.

It seems like you're coming at this with an earlier edition mindset, this isn't Ad&d or 3.5. In 5e magic works a little different, and casters are a lot harder to lock down. Aside from the aforementioned acid-diving Wizard, Deafness no longer prevents casting, nor is casting preventing if the caster is Grappled or Restrained if they have one hand free (hand, not arm).

Very true, which is why I wrote in my post, "Will it interrupt the spell and ruin it?" Maybe or maybe not... that is up to the DM and the table. The rules don't specify that it will be, but neither do they specify that it won't be.

SA never addresses what should happen if a caster is hit during while casting his spell because the way 5E initiative works it won't happen unless you have a readied action (which is what the OP was about). Now, that is our table's interpretation of it. It is not "official" in any way, but neither is the other option.

All we have to go off of is spells with longer casting times where it states a concentration check is required. Since with longer spells you are casting while hit and must make a check, it stands to reason with quicker spells if you are also hit while casting a check should be required. You could just as easily argue no check should be required because 1 action spells are fast enough that even if you somehow get it, you will still complete the spell.

Obviously we play the first way. Others play the second. Others want to play you can't even a attempt to hit a caster in the process of casting a 1 action spell, even if you have a readied action. Any of these are possible but none are official because you can argue all three cases until you are blue in the face and you will never be right (nor will I LOL! :) ).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yeah, it occurs after one attack. Just like it occurs after you cast one spell.

Except the triggering action isn't that the target casts a spell, it was "he second I see the Mind Flayer Arcanist attempting to cast a spell (using Verbal or Somatic Components), I throw my spear at the Mind Flayer's chest."

Notice, not "cast" a spell, but "attempting to cast a spell" The player intends to be ready to throw instantly. Now, refer to my other post on how any of the possible interpretations is feasible, none are official as their as been no ruling on this either way.

Torquar

Explorer
Except the triggering action isn't that the target casts a spell, it was "he second I see the Mind Flayer Arcanist attempting to cast a spell (using Verbal or Somatic Components), I throw my spear at the Mind Flayer's chest."

Notice, not "cast" a spell, but "attempting to cast a spell" The player intends to be ready to throw instantly. Now, refer to my other post on how any of the possible interpretations is feasible, none are official as their as been no ruling on this either way.

Why is your action of throwing the spear, plus the spears travel time, faster than the 1 action spell?

Let's throw another spanner in. Your spear attack hits by 3, the Wizards casts Shield causing you to miss. How do you resolve the Wizard casting a Shield spell while in the middle of casting the previous spell without making up more house rules?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Why is your action of throwing the spear, plus the spears travel time, faster than the 1 action spell?

Let's throw another spanner in. Your spear attack hits by 3, the Wizards casts Shield causing you to miss. How do you resolve the Wizard casting a Shield spell while in the middle of casting the previous spell without making up more house rules?

For our group, we say it is because the readied creature used his action on an earlier initiative to get jump on it. Interpreting that is is slower is fine if that is what your group does. Again, no official rule here, just points of view.

As far as the Shield spell goes, that is not a problem at all and requires no house-rule as I see it. The timing of the reaction used for Shield is part of the spell: "which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell". In this case, the Wizard casts his Shield spell as his reaction and since the spear missed, completes the casting of his spell.

MarkB

Legend

How is "attempt to cast a spell" a different event than "cast a spell"?

Torquar

Explorer
For our group, we say it is because the readied creature used his action on an earlier initiative to get jump on it. Interpreting that is is slower is fine if that is what your group does. Again, no official rule here, just points of view.

And you think that's more realistic than having the attack land after the spell is completed?

A
s far as the Shield spell goes, that is not a problem at all and requires no house-rule as I see it. The timing of the reaction used for Shield is part of the spell: "which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell". In this case, the Wizard casts his Shield spell as his reaction and since the spear missed, completes the casting of his spell.

Again, you think it's more realistic for you to be able attack the Wizard mid-spell, have him interrupt your spell with a Reaction spell that has VS components, then resume his original spell than it is for your attack to simply land after the cast? How long do you think an action is? Is casting a spell difficult, or is it easy enough that you can interrupt it with another spell then go back to it with no consequence. If a caster can interrupt and resume a spell with no consequence, what do you expect the attack to do other than damage? Why can't the caster simply resume the spell once your attack is over?

5atbu

Explorer
Really interesting chat.
When or if this comes up at a table playing 5e that I am reffing we shall decide.
Then the sauce for goose as well as gander rule will apply as well.
I prefer a readied action to interrupt, but I don't claim it's RAW or better, just generates more narration, and also feels more like skirmish wargaming I am used to (over watch and all that).

5ekyu

Hero
This is where I don’t like to read the rules too precisely and This is where I like to use intent. Is the player trying to interrupt an action? Yes? Then I don’t ask for precise wording. The player wants to catch the caster in the midst of casting a spell. He times it, fakes his throw and as the caster pulls out a spell component, he throws the spear, knocking the sand out of the caster’s hand.
And if the intention was to knock the sword out of the attackers hand if he starts an attack, just as successful?

Remove ads