WotC Considering NPC Stat Format Change

This started with a comment about D&D formatting errors by James Introcaso (the comment, not the errors) on Twitter, and WotC's Chris Perkins joined in. Other quickly chimed in with further questions.

This started with a comment about D&D formatting errors by James Introcaso (the comment, not the errors) on Twitter, and WotC's Chris Perkins joined in. Other quickly chimed in with further questions.

Chris_Perkins.jpg

James:
When you write an NPC's statistics in parentheses next to their name, it should look like this: NAME (ABBREVIATED ALIGNMENT SEX OR GENDER SUBRACE RACE STATISTICS). e.g. Fireface McDragon (LG female mountain dwarf knight)

Perkins: We’re thinking about dispensing with that format and writing out the information in sentence form using no alignment abbreviations. Example: Borf is a chaotic neutral, non-binary shield dwarf berserker with darkvision out to a range of 60 feet.

Crows Bring the Spring: Can I inquire why adding the blurb about dark vision is included in that line? Makes it feel rather lengthy.

Perkins: It doesn’t have to be there. It could also be replaced with something else, such as the languages Borf speaks, if that’s more important. Racial traits and other useful info could be presented as separate, full sentences.

Hannah Rose: What’s motivating this possible change? The ability to transition into modifications to a stat block without saying “with the following changes”?

Perkins: Our intention is to make books that are gorgeous, thoughtfully organized, fun to read, and easy for DMs/players of all experience levels to use.

Guillermo Garrido: Do you playtest these changes by different levels of players/DMs before widespread use of the new language?

Perkins: We playtest everything.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Is it bad that I actually quite like that?

Monster Manuals are the place for a paragraph of text about the monster and a page of fluff describing its background. In an adventure, I need to know if the monster wants to attack the PCs (presumably so or you do not have a Combat; talkative monsters can provide you with an Encounter), and mechanically what it uses to interact with the PC's stats.
The paragraph format has its place but standing in between a Monster and a group of PCs is not that place.
Despite the rather lawyerly use of language and terms, I miss 4e's stat blocks with their prominent symbol showing "this is what he will hit the PCs with".

Reynard

Legend
Putting 5E monster stat blocks in the text of the adventure is a waste of space. 5E monsters are complex enough that you want to have the full stats available. Is it really a big deal to flip the MM during play? Or do you want 10-20 per cent of the content in a book you bought to be monster stats, many of them repeated over and over again?

Not including stats is also better for DMs who convert to other editions.

Everything I need to run the encounter should be on the page I need to run the encounter. There is more than enough room to do this if you excise all the flavor text. But flavor text makes adventures fun to read, inspires the DM's creativity and provides important context. Therefore, the smartest solution is to provide both the "full prose" adventure with a mechanical adventure rule book.

Kor

First Post
When I'm running a game and have several tasks I'm trying to do at the same time, I want at-a-glance friendly info. Existing stat blocks are exactly that - one quick look and I can see the info I want. I really hope they don't change them -- they are perfectly fine the way they are.

Bagpuss

Legend
I miss 4e statblocks. I didn't need to flip a single page or reference any other book to run an encounter. I'll get back to DMing when they get back to that.

The idea to have an all the information to run the combat encounter only take up one page or at most a centre spread was really helpful for a DM, even if it was probably a pain for editors/writers and page count.

Ronald Elmore

First Post
The non binary is Chris Perkins way of pushing his politics into the game. If he get it in there, he make it more socially acceptable. In which to force us to accept his ideology into the English language. Not that I care,

Anti-inclusive AND political- a double violation of ENWorld’s ToS. On a first post, to boot. If we find this is a puppet account, this account, the original, and any other duplicates will be banned.

In the meantime, don’t post in this thread again. Familiarize yourself with the ToS so you don’t make similar mistakes in the future. If you have a question about this, send a PM or post in Meta.

Welcome to ENWorld!

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads