D&D comes to Middle Earth (from Cubicle 7)

I have high hopes that the 5E OGL will really start to open up the game...and this would seem to qualify! Very excited for this.

I have high hopes that the 5E OGL will really start to open up the game...and this would seem to qualify! Very excited for this.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'll be curious to see if they essentially rewrite the game to fit ME, using only the core of D&D 5E for mechanics, or if they try and accommodate the many D&Disms that don't really fit. I think the best we can hope for is the former but with strongly maintained compatibility so that people who want to add dragonborn warlocks to ME can do so seamlessly (though not likely without consequences!).
"You will have my sword..."
"you will have my bow..."
"and my eldritch blast."

G

Guest 6801328

I have to wonder if they will have a unique set of races/classes/sub-classes. The One Ring is a very, very low-magic world.

I've heard that Mike Mearls spent a fair amount of time at the C7 booth when 5e was just a twinkle in his eye, and several of the mechanics (e.g. Inspiration) result from that.

mrm1138

Explorer
I think the idea behind this is cool but something about Middle Earth just never translated well to RPG in my opinion. This was the problem with the MERP and Rolemaster versions. For one thing, the story line is so well established it is not easy to bend the canon.

I feel like, in order to run any Middle Earth RPG effectively, the GM would either A) need to have read every single bit of lore available and internalized it, or B) have a group that doesn't know too much about the history of the world and won't cry foul if he deviates from the established canon. It's for that reason that I will never run a game in this setting. I've read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings maybe two times each, but that's about it. The Silmarillion looks like a history textbook, and I can't imagine finding it anything but dry and tedious.

Stan Shinn

Explorer
I'm guessing Cuble 7 will reskin a lot of their The One Ring material and have the adventures be set between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (roughly Third Age 2941-3018).

However, there's lots of other timelines in which to adventure. My favorite is the Third Age 1300-1974 era, over a thousand years before Lord of the Rings events, set in the lost kingdom of Arnor.

See my Chronicles of Arnor Trailer to get the vibe of adventuring in that era:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-uYKpcebGY.

Lots of great old MERP adventure materials available for that era.

Fourth Age is also great time -- Palantir Quest is an old MERP module you can run for months during the Fourth Age.

benensky

Explorer
Middle-Earth for 5e

If you are interested in middle earth [DND] 5e you may want to look at zero hit points page: [[DND]url]http://www.zerohitpoints.com/Middle-Earth-for-DnD-5[/url]

I...told...you...so!

I called this back in 2014:

"Cubicle Seven would be welcome to use our license to produce a D&D COMPATIBLE worldbook for Middle-earth and Doctor Who alongside their house-rule product lines. They would however, need to refer back to the PHB for all basic rules, such as movement and action resolution, and pick an array of most fitting rules modules from the DMG (along with their own original rules modules specific to that setting), and refer back to them, rather than re-printing it all in their product. Any Middle-earth specific classes, or versions of classes (such as a "Warrior" of Middle-earth serving as a rebadged Fighter) would need to be theoretically fully multiclassible with 5e PHB classes."

When I posted this at ENWorld, nearly everyone rolled their eyes, and said I was wishing for a pony. The thread was even shut down.

And here we are my friends. Goes to show that expressing what we really desire is a worthwhile exercise, even if nearly the entire community is opposed.

Remove ads

Remove ads