What is *worldbuilding* for?

Imaro

Legend
[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]

I do not think [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] is speaking about your game specifically in his criticism of GM Driven play unless you run a game that is very close to the Dragonlance/Ravenloft Modules or Vampire - The Masquerade, AD&D 2e and 5e as explicitly described by their GMing texts. There is no way to address your individual game unless we know more about the play environment, social layer, and play procedures actually used at the table. The only way to learn more about the play procedures in use is for you to say what they are?

• Do you plan out story and character arcs?
  • Do you adjudicate things based on what you would like to have happen?
  • Do you expect players to follow your lead?
  • Do you expect players to appreciate your world design for its own sake?
  • Do you follow the fiction wherever it might lead?
  • Do you reward skilled fictional positioning?
  • Does the social environment include an expectation of getting back on track to the GM's story?
  • Does everyone get the same rewards even if some players play passively while others actively contribute?
  • Do you design scenarios or plots?
  • Can players address a hook as they see fit or only in preapproved ways designed by you?

I do not mean to badger the witness here. I do think [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s analysis can sometimes exclude other ways to play that are not either Sorcerer or 5e as described by the text of the DMG. The criticisms that I have personally for the current orthodoxy does not apply to sandbox games like early RuneQuest, Godbound, Stars Without Number or B/X D&D run according to their text. Those games are my second favorite sort of game to be a player in. I also have my own criticisms about intent based resolution systems.

One of the larger points of this thread I think is that it is useful to question the orthodoxy and take a critical look at why we do the things we do. It's also useful to see the dominant modes of play is a way to play role playing games and not the way.

Okay now my interest is piqued... is the implication that following the 5e DMG text leads to these questions being answered in the affirmative?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So vastly increasing the players choices further limits agency. I disagree with that. In a sandbox game I can choose to become king and work towards my goal. In a sandbox game I can choose to rule the world, or rob the houses of the wealthy, leaving a 6 sided die behind as my calling card, or go from town to town looking for opportunities to save them from evil, or a huge number of other choices that aren't available in dungeon crawls. And I can also choose to dungeon crawl. Dungeon crawl games = highly limited choices in how the players can drive the game. Sandbox = vastly greater number of choices in how the players can drive the game.
Agreed.

Keep in mind, however, that true sandbox play requires a well-built cohesive internally-consistent sandbox to play in.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Agreed.

Keep in mind, however, that true sandbox play requires a well-built cohesive internally-consistent sandbox to play in.
But, and this is a point, it doesn't require the box to be built before play. The box that results from the different styles can be (I'd venture nearly guaranteed) pretty different, yes, but you can sandbox in both styles.

Okay now my interest is piqued... is the implication that following the 5e DMG text leads to these questions being answered in the affirmative?

I think it is true that 5e, largely implicitly, assumes a game centered around GM authority and a GM authored story line. There's a bit of a nod to player-generated character backstory in the form of the personality traits and background, and you can tie those to some mechanics through skill choices, but there's really very little which concretely ties these things in a mechanical sense to the fiction which happens at the table. There isn't even the SC construct with which to mediate and structure conflict in a way that is largely amenable to player manipulation.

I think 5e is a step up from 2e, which espouses a narrative type of game without ANY mechanical support or concession to it at all. 5e has the traits and backgrounds, Inspiration (weak as it is), and a much 'tighter' resolution system than 2e such that players at least have some expectation that things will work a certain way when they try something. Yet it falls far short in specific ways of what 4e offered in this area.

To be clear, 4e could have gone a good bit further (I have authored that game myself). 5e pulled back a lot in critical areas.

But, and this is a point, it doesn't require the box to be built before play. The box that results from the different styles can be (I'd venture nearly guaranteed) pretty different, yes, but you can sandbox in both styles.

MY understanding and conception of a 'sandbox' includes the idea that it is, ideally, a pre-generated environment. That it is authored specifically without regard to any agenda of or focus on the PCs. The conceit is anything you do, anything you build, any conflict you generate, etc. is all on you. The purest sandbox even lacks any backstory beyond basic reactive kinds of stuff like "the orcs pull up stakes and beat it for the mountain passes during the night. All you find are cold campfires and empty warrens in the morning, and a few broken tools."

That might not, in theory, be incompatible with on-the-fly authoring of content, but it is pretty hard to imagine it really being pulled off. How can you even be sure that your content is NOT a story in being as opposed to a simple collection of elements ready to be engaged with (which is what I would say the term 'sandbox' literally implies, a box of sand in which the player can do whatever they wish without regard to anything but the basic 'laws of nature').

Now, I tend to believe this concept is an idealization which a) is less interesting in most cases than is fondly imagined, and b) exists mostly as a theoretical construct for practical reasons. In fact I think players find it intriguing for the very reason they play Story Now games, it implies that THEIR agenda will be THE agenda.

S

Sunseeker

MY understanding and conception of a 'sandbox' includes the idea that it is, ideally, a pre-generated environment. That it is authored specifically without regard to any agenda of or focus on the PCs. The conceit is anything you do, anything you build, any conflict you generate, etc. is all on you. The purest sandbox even lacks any backstory beyond basic reactive kinds of stuff like "the orcs pull up stakes and beat it for the mountain passes during the night. All you find are cold campfires and empty warrens in the morning, and a few broken tools."

I would suggest that the "purest" sandbox would actually be a blank canvas and utilize a "Yes and..." system of going round robin or whatever getting player (and DM, since at this point the DM is only barely above the player) input on what and where they are. IE:
Once the party is made....
DM: So you find yourselves...
Bob: In a town!
Joe: A small town!
Sue: A dirty small town!
Jill: That's overrun with orcs!

Fast Forward a bit >>

DM: Okay, you made peace with the orcs and they're helping rebuild the town in exchange for supplies to their...
Bob: War camp!
Joe: In the high mountains!
Sue: The ones a couple days travel away!
Jill: Overrun with dragons!
DM: I'm beginning to see a pattern with you Jill...
Jill: Well how else will we get XP?
DM: >.>

And so on and so forth expanding from there in the direction that interests the players slowly mapping out "the world", however zany it may be.

I would suggest that the "purest" sandbox would actually be a blank canvas and utilize a "Yes and..." system of going round robin or whatever getting player (and DM, since at this point the DM is only barely above the player) input on what and where they are. IE:
Once the party is made....
DM: So you find yourselves...
Bob: In a town!
Joe: A small town!
Sue: A dirty small town!
Jill: That's overrun with orcs!

Fast Forward a bit >>

DM: Okay, you made peace with the orcs and they're helping rebuild the town in exchange for supplies to their...
Bob: War camp!
Joe: In the high mountains!
Sue: The ones a couple days travel away!
Jill: Overrun with dragons!
DM: I'm beginning to see a pattern with you Jill...
Jill: Well how else will we get XP?
DM: >.>

And so on and so forth expanding from there in the direction that interests the players slowly mapping out "the world", however zany it may be.

I would say that is a highly dynamic 'conch passing exercise'. It certainly produces tremendous player agency, but its questionable if it makes a good RPG. Nor would I personally call it a 'sandbox' in any sense. There are games which use a controlled form of this type of open authorship, and it can work, but it generally breaks down or simply doesn't play out like an RPG when its this loose. For instance the players are likely to clash and also likely to violate the Czege Principle, and IME are likely to lack focus and goals. Its hard to HAVE goals when you're simply pushing material into the narrative with effectively no guidelines or limits. You will DEFINITELY not get a sense of exploration from this kind of play, though you may get a sense of authorship.

Gameimake

First Post
The closest I can think of is Spore. It doesn't have much depth to it but can be useful for getting ideas, and the various editors offer a useful tool for visualizing everything from animals to spaceships.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I would say that is a highly dynamic 'conch passing exercise'. It certainly produces tremendous player agency, but its questionable if it makes a good RPG. Nor would I personally call it a 'sandbox' in any sense.
Ditto. It's way over at the 'collaborative storytelling' end of the spectrum.
You will DEFINITELY not get a sense of exploration from this kind of play, though you may get a sense of authorship.
You'll definitely get a sense of authorship, and I can see how this could absolutely rock as a one session one-off with a decent group. But in a continuing game or campaign I'd sure hate to be the poor schlub who has to remember or write down everything said and done and authored this session so it'll be consistent when we come back to it next session...or next month...or next year...

pemerton

Legend
So what happens if the player doesn't have an agenda

<snip>

what happens if she wants to react to what the DM gives her to work with rather than having the DM react to what she gives them?
Well, that's a player who isn't going to be exercising much agency over the content of the shared fiction! In effect, she's outsourcing that to the GM. Your post says as much.

pemerton said:
I've already posted at length, upthread, about features of non-dungeon sandboxing that (I believe) can tend to reduce player agency. The main one is the lack of clear parameters around what might be "hidden", unrevealed backstory - whereas the austere dungeon environment, together with established conventions/tropes (like pit traps, rotating rooms, etc), set such parameters in dungeoneering play.

As I've mentioned several times in the thread, I am currently running a Classic Traveller game. Some parts of that game have a clear resolution structure (interstellar travel, dealing with bureaucrats) that I think support player agency. The only mechanic I've encountered so far that was really unsatisfactory was the system for travelling in the on-world "wilderness" - it has no finality of resolution and really depended rather heavily on the sort of GM manipulation that I dislike.

I think non-dungeon sandboxing can tend to have quite a bit of that. Or, if the only resolution system that yields finality is combat, then combat can become very frequent! Which again makes sense in a dungeon but can hurt the feel of a bigger sandbox. (My Traveller game has been happily combat-light - happily in the sense that it is not a verisimilitude-threatening bloodbath given the broadly civilian contexts the PCs have been operating in.)
So vastly increasing the players choices further limits agency. I disagree with that. In a sandbox game I can choose to become king and work towards my goal. In a sandbox game I can choose to rule the world, or rob the houses of the wealthy, leaving a 6 sided die behind as my calling card, or go from town to town looking for opportunities to save them from evil, or a huge number of other choices that aren't available in dungeon crawls. And I can also choose to dungeon crawl. Dungeon crawl games = highly limited choices in how the players can drive the game. Sandbox = vastly greater number of choices in how the players can drive the game.
Without finality of resolution, what does it mean to work towards the goal of becoming king (just to pick up one of your examples)? And if there are backstory elements that are known to the GM, but unrevealed, but also apt to be used in the context of action resolution as "hidden" elements of fictional positioning, then where is the player agency located?

The notion of "player choice of goal" doesn't do any work, as far as agency is concerned, until you tell me something about how this choice actually matters to the content of the shared fiction. It is very easy for a non-dungeon sandboxing game to become the making of moves to trigger the GM to say stuff. Changing the way backstory is established and managed makes a big difference in this respect.

Except the game play begins with the player telling me what he wants to do, not me confronting him with a situation that requires him to learn stuff. He tells me what he wants done, and then I respond. Dice get rolled and success or failure takes over.
Perhaps I've misunderstood.

The player tells you (speaking as his/her character) "I want to find an item that will help free my brother from possession by a balrog!" And you respond by . . . ? I thought you respond by asking "OK, how do you go about that?" and then the player says (eg) "I look for a sage" or "I look for a marketplace" or whatever it might be.

pemerton said:
I get that you don't care about the same things I do. Hence you don't notice, or care about, the differences that matter to me. Pointing out this thing about you isn't going to change anything about me, though!
That works both ways, which is probably why you get our playstyle wrong so frequently.
What difference that is important to you are you saying that I'm disregarding?

it <ie conflict of PC agendas> can happen so easily particularly if players are independently coming up with their own intended story-lines. Could be something as simple as, in say a court-intrigue game, one player-as-PC setting her goal as marriage to the Duke and another setting her goal as the overthrow and death of this same Duke.
This is a set-up that is begging for player-driven play!

The story now might be something as simple as dealing with a tribe of raiding orcs; but in the course of doing so we've learned the local Baron is corrupt.
As you describe it, that's not a story. There's no rising action. There's no climax. There's no resolution.

Story now means story - in the sense of conflict > rising action > climax > resolution - as an ever-present element of play. But without pre-authorship of said story.

Roughly speaking, the players provide the characters with dramatic needs; the GM provides the framing which yields conflict; the playing through of the action resolution process yields rising action and climax, at various "levels"; and the outcome of action resolution yields resolution, again at various "levels".

To go back to the feather example: the PC wants a magic item, and is at a bazaar where an angel feather is for sale. But the PC is broke, and maybe the feather is a dud or a fake. That's the conflict. The PC tests the aura of the the feather -there's rising action. It's cursed! There's the climax. There's also a bit in there where the PC buys the feather - I can't remember how the purchase and the aura-reading interacted, but the upshot - the resolution - is that the PC now has a cursed feather, that might bring trouble upon him.

But the whole dealing with the feather is also itself a moment of rising action in the larger story arc of the balrog-possessed brother, which doesn't reach it's climax in that initial scene.

Here is how Eero Tuovinen describes it:

The fun in these games from the player’s viewpoint comes from the fact that he can create an amazing story with nothing but choices made in playing his character; this is the holy grail of rpg design, this is exactly the thing that was promised to me in 1992 in the MERP rulebook.​

Instead of curtailing player agency to create story (which is what Dragolance, White Wolf, 2nd ed AD&D, fudging advice in other rulebooks, and indeed more RPGing text than I can count, recommend), this method of play relies on player agency to create story.

In your example, of the player waiting to be told by the GM where the action is - eg the local Baron is corrupt - story is not going to be reliably produced. What if the players aren't interested in the Baron? Or even suppose that they are - what is the conflict that drives the story, or even kicks it off?

The 3E module The Speaker in Dreams illustrates the issue: big chunks of the module are devoted essentially to plot download by the GM (often but not always accompanying combat encounters that, from the point of view of the players-as-PCs, are largely unmotivated ), and then the whole thing depends on the players adopting the outlook that will make the story work (eg opposing the mind flayer rather than seeking to work with it).

pemerton said:
And a consequence of "now" as opposed to "later" is that the content and framing have to be generated in some fashion other than just having the GM gradually reveal it all as appropriate moves are performed in the course of play. This is where one aspect of player agency comes in.
And where another aspect of player agency - that of choosing what to do - is denied as a trade-off.
No. There's no trade-off. The player is free to choose what to do at any moment of play.

There is no difference in this respect between my style and yours. (And I see that [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] has made this same point.)

Remove ads