D&D 5E Art: Goblinoids, Take Two

Yora

Legend
The same face on the bugbear and the goblin looks a bit strange. That head does not seem like it belongs on that goblin body.
But otherwise, I really like the designs. Especially the bugbear. It looks like a goblin and it is huge! Older bugbears were also cool, but never looked like goblins.
And the outfit of the hobgoblin makes it look only very little like an orc.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
The bugbear's and goblin's armours don't make any sense, why wouldn't you protect your chest and back? Either they wear barbaric clothing, or normal clothing with sensible armour coverage; barbaric armour coverage isn't very effective.

Kinak

First Post
Can't say these excite me at all. I'm spoiled with Pathfinder goblins and bugbears, so I wouldn't expect to be excited by them, but even the hobgoblin is really bland. I'm glad there's a competent, militaristic, and evil humanoid race but the hobgoblins make it feel like a checked box rather than inspiring me to use them.

The hobgoblin description is just a mash of random Earth labels, which doesn't do anything for me. Spartan hobgoblins are cool. Yakuza hobgoblins are a bit confusing, but might be okay. Spartan + Yakuza hobgoblins seems confused and desperate.

The goblin descriptive text is the most evocative. It makes them feel more urban and predatory than the way they're traditionally used in D&D, but that's a legitimate goblin niche.

It really makes the bugbear stand out, though. The goblin is a little scary and the hobgoblin tells you that it's scary, but the bugbear is just boring. They're big agile dumb guys... okay. I guess that box is checked off too, but in a very uninspiring way.

I'm probably focusing too much on the descriptive text in an art article, but they just don't seem to have a clear vision for these. And, frankly, I think it shows through in the art. I mean absolutely no disrespect to the artist, I just don't see an clear direction for goblinoids in the text, so it would be unfair to expect it in the art.

Cheers!
Kinak

mlund

First Post
These are an excellent grouping - clearly the same family while being distinct races. Other than the over-sized sword I'm really feeling the style of the Hobgoblins. The Bugbear and regular Goblin have just the right amount of distinctive traits to flesh them out.

- Marty Lund

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm pretty into this look. They look mean and lean and able to kick some butt, absolutely things I would not want to meet in a dark alleyway. Giving them the face-fuzz and the "back and out" ears (and possibly the red skin, though the pencils don't show that) does a lot to separate them from Generic Fantasy Goblin. Which is super.

Though I find that it gets me wondering what a female version of these things look like! :)

Yeah, I can go with this. Very nice.

For context, this was the last one.

I can honestly say that these are much improved and I could absolutely see myself showing PC's this artwork when they're under their next gobbie attack. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases