[5E] Let's Brainstorm a Sumo Class!

I will go from left field and say a barbarian or paladin would be better chassis than a monk or a fighter. It seems like sumo is more of a single attack nova (albeit that nova might be extra good shoving or grappling rather than damage) than multiple attacks. I think I lean towards barbarian, as everything about rage (except for the name) seems like a good fit for the sumo, although [MENTION=2629]jgsugden[/MENTION]'s idea about wrestling divine spirits could fit the paladin. [I will admit that a desire for a barbarian and/or paladin subclass really good at unarmed attacks is part of my assessment--if El Santo is not a good paladin, something is wrong with paladins.]

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The Sumo does not just grapple you, he also makes it impossible for you to bother his friends - or anybody else. Restrained doesn't achieve what I want to accomplish, but Incapacitated is too much.
I'm sorta thinking of this like the Monster Manual entries "This creature attacks; if it hits it also auto-grapples the PC and ruins his/her day."
Maybe a new Status Effect is in order, tied to a class feature.

Remove ads