D&D 5E I gave up--Here's a Warrior-Mage base class

Yaarel

He Mage
If the Warrior-Mage class evolved within the High Elf culture, then it seems the Warrior aspect should probably be a Dexterity Fighter, who specializes in "finesse" swordfighting.

In other words, the Elf adds the racial Dexterity bonus to any finesse sword attack.

In this case, let the "elven" swordfighting culture that developed the Warrior-Mage class, include swordfighting techniques that add the "finesse" property when wielding any Longsword. So, the High Elf and the Warrior-Mage can add Dexterity to the longsword attack, instead of Strength.

(With regard to gaming balance, this is equivalent to adding the "versatile" property when wielding any Rapier two-handed; the only difference is whether the blade deals "slashing" damage or "piercing" damage. But go with adding finesse, since the D&D tradition specifically associates the Elf with the versatile Longsword along with an "elegant" elven fightingstyle. Since occupying the offhand for a versatile weapon is its own opportunity cost, the finesse for a Longsword is mechanically as balanced as the finesse Rapier is. But make the finesse Longsword fightingstyle an "elf thing" for plot protection for High Elf flavor.) Really, every High Elf should be able to treat the Longsword as a finesse weapon, thus mechanically enforcing the flavor of "elven swordfighting style" and elven Dexterity.

Wielding the Longsword two-handed is appropriate for the Warrior-Mage, since the offhand can alternate between flashy sword-whirling and spellcasting.

Perhaps, the finesse property works best as a racial feature.
High Elf Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the longsword and the longbow. You can treat the longsword as having the finesse property.
Wood Elf Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the spear and the longbow. You can treat the spear as having the finesse property.
Drow Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the rapier, the shortsword, and the hand crossbow.

In any case, the Warrior-Mage class automatically adds the finesse property to any Longsword as a free class feature (that is inherently mechanically balanced).

Yaarel

He Mage
[MENTION=6677017]Sword of Spirit[/MENTION]

It seems you have discovered that blending the Wizard and the Fighter is actually balanced.

In no other edition of D&D could such a "gestalt" of Warrior-Mage be balanced. But maybe D&D 5e has moreorless succeeded in balancing "casters" versus "hitters". So, mix-and-matching caster features with hitter features (with a healthy dose of caution) doesnt seem to break anything. Neat.

Thanks all. This is exactly the sort of feedback I need.

I read up on bladesinger. It is restrcited to one hand weapons. It doesn't get a fighting style (about a 20% damage increase for one handed weapons). It can't just dump int as its ac and concentration depends on that.

While to the untrained eye yours my look almost in line with that subclass, these few things that sound so minor make a huge difference!

Opening up the weapons doesn't seem like an issue to me. You can choose to use a two-hander for more damage, but then you'll take a 2 point hit to AC, which is a pretty big deal in 5e.

The additional damage from Fighting Style is working as intended. The primary thing warrior-mage gets in exchange for everything else Bladesinger is better damage. It's about the only way they are superior to Bladesinger. I would include better staying power as a secondary category in which they are better, but once Bladesinger gets Song of Defense that isn't true anymore, and Bladesinger's higher AC makes is debatable whether it's true at lower levels.

The Intelligence dumping though reminds me of something I was thinking of in the design phase, but apparently forgot to put in the write up. I'm making them take Int 13 and Str or Dex of 13 (the same as a fighter/wizard standard multiclass) to qualify for the class. Yes, it totally breaks 5e convention and precedent (as does not having a subclass), which I very much dislike doing, but once I decided to try a new class, I decided I'm all in and will make such choices if needed to get a balanced solution.

For me, the line in the sand is that the war mage must not get Extra Attack 3. You could give him any or all of the other things you mentioned and my powergamer instincts would not trigger; but if you give him even a couple of those things and also Extra Attack 3, then he looks clearly better than the Bladesinger, as well as better in most ways than the Eldritch Knight.

I'm glad this is the big issue, because it isn't an essential part of the class design. I threw it in for more a fightery feel, thinking it wasn't going to have much effect on damage output (perhaps I was wrong). How does this alternative feel?

Attack Surge
When you reach 20th level, you can push your attack speed beyond your normal limits for a moment. When you take the Attack action on your turn you can attack three times.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

(I realize that the Bladesinger and the Eldritch Knight both have better AC; "clearly better" is an intuitive value judgment about the overall package, not a statement about dominance at every point.)

True, I'm making a subjective judgment on it. There are three reason it looks like a big deal to me. It is +2 to +5 depending on level, which seems like a pretty big deal in 5e. This is even more so because it is generally transitioning over that point that feels like mediocre AC (up to about 17) into what seems more like good (18-20) or great (21+) AC. Maybe I'm off on those estimates, I don't know. The final element is that it saves Bladesinger spell slots. Either class can use shield for an AC boost, but Bladesinger will need to use it less often.

I think the issue that you’re running into here isn’t a math one. It’s a system issue. The Core rules have walled off third and fourth attacks for Fighters. Breaking that assumption before WotC does it will create a knee-jerk response of unbalanced (whether or not the math supports it). You’ll see the same response to any homebrew that allows for multiple concentration spells. Personally, if I were you, I would look into impacting their damage output differently perhaps with something similar to the Cleric’s Divine Strike ability (flavored as the Fighter-Mage channeling magic through their weapons) and forego extra attacks entirely. That would widen the gap between this class and the Eldritch Knight/Valor Bard. You’re already getting a lot of flexibility by having full access to the Wizard spell list (like Haste). Giving up the flexibility of a second or third attack while maintaining DPR might be a good solution to thread the needle here.

Fair enough. The third attack isn't actually intended to improve damage any (green-flame blade with War Magic is almost always better or equivalent, unless using Great Weapon Master or ranged combat with Sharpshooter--and I nerf both of those feats so they aren't a problem)--or some other significant damage add), so I'm willing to just ditch and it and perhaps use that new feature I described above for flavor. I do want to keep the two attacks, because it feels more appropriate, but Fighting Style and War Magic give them the right amount of damage as I see it, so I wouldn't want to add anything else on top of those.

Spitballing here without any real math behind me, but I wonder if you could craft a feature that either boosted the cantrip or the weapon attack portion of War Magic instead of just taking the improved feature as is. I have not run any numbers, but I would look for opportunities to make this class feel more like its own expression of the concept than just meshing existing features (which, to be fair, is what you stated that you wanted to do so grain of salt and all that). Maybe expanding a single target to two targets or just a damage increase (add +Int to damage or similar). Just an idea for you to consider.

Improved War Magic isn't intended to increase damage, it's to keep them casting and swinging, like a Valor Bard or Eldritch Knight--and as a dedicated warrior-mage hybrid, they really ought to be able to do that as well as the other classes.

[/quote]This is just me, but I don’t know why this needs to be nerfed. Being able to reroll one failed Str or Wis save per long rest and having to take the roll does not strike me as game breaking. I’m not great at breaking the game though so maybe someone sees something I don’t. It’s already limited from the Fighter ability (Indomitable) in type (fighters can pick any save) and amount (fighters get more saves). I don’t think you need to split up Str and Wis. [/quote]

It's just sort of an intuitive feeling that Indomitable Spirit all at once might be pushing it. If others don't feel that way I would be fine with leaving it as it, but right now my thoughts are splitting it up to Wisdom only at 10th level, and expanding it to Strength at 18th level (later than I'd like, but the best available level on the chart).

I’m not sure what the concern is for Grim Harvest. At best, you’re getting back 9 HP if you kill someone with a 9th level Necromancy spell (which may not even exist in the game yet). Again, I’m not great at seeing broken combos, but I can’t imagine that breaking anything. Maybe your concern is that it’s not strong enough? If you really want to differentiate it and possibly let it add more HP more in line with the original feature, consider letting it grant temporary HP instead of actual HP. Since temporary HP don’t stack, the fighter-mage couldn’t really heal himself effectively. He would just be creating a small buffer.

I was just iffy on it not being quite strong enough. I think I'll probably say it's 1 hit point per level regardless of the spell's school. I'm kind of wanting to change Sculpt Spells too. Only 1 creature seems a huge nerf from the original (I want a significant nerf for these, but perhaps not that much). I'm not sure what to do with it though. I'm considering perhaps half level (minimum 0), but that doesn't feel exactly right. The thing is, that first creature is really the most important one, so it's worth more than the additional creatures.

There are a few things that I would look into that might be beyond your stated scope of design.

I would look at stealing from the War Caster feat for class abilities. A lot of people don’t like using feats for homebrew abilities, but a Fighter-Mage that cannot innately use a sword and shield while casting spells feels like it misses the mark to me. Perhaps something that lets you use your weapon as a spell focus as well? You could limit it to one weapon that you are bonded to, but forego the Eldritch Knight perks (summoning, no disarming, and more than one weapon).

It's an AC balance thing. The way I run casting with a shield (without the feat) is that you can transfer your weapon to your shield hand and back again after casting as your free item interaction. I do this because RAW you can just drop your weapon for free, and then pick it up as your free item interaction, so you gain nothing in the action economy from this minor house rule/interpretation (it could mean the difference between dropping it off the edge of a rope bridge though). That's assuming a spell component pouch. If you want to use an arcane focus with a shield, it gets a bit more complicated, since I consider that those have to be drawn/sheathed just like a weapon. You can still theoretically do most of what you could without it, but you are going to end up ending some of your turns without a weapon in your hand, and other little complications can come up. If you really want to have the greatest freedom to cast spells with somatic or material components all the time, forgoing the shield is an option worth considering to avoid such potential complications that can be an issue at times.

I do like the idea of a weapon as an arcane focus, but since neither Eldritch Knight or Wizard gets anything like that, I'm going to steer clear of it. If you look at the class features, they don't actually get anything that isn't from one of those classes (or a nerfed version of one of them), which is by design. When I get it properly balanced and write it up, the lore is going to explain how they train under three masters: a fighter, a wizard, and another warrior-mage.

Taking away Ritual Caster could be helpful as balance.

I've thought of this more than once, but I can't find a way to do it that doesn't feel wrong. As an Intelligence based wizard-trained full-caster, they really should have ritual caster. A nerfed version from the wizard might be ideal. However, there are really only two versions of Ritual Caster. The wizard's version which doesn't require preparation, and can't benefit from it RAW, but does require access to the spell book. (Technically, RAW the spell just has to be in your book, it doesn't say you need to have the book with you, but my guess is that the intention is for you to actually have the book there and use it.) Switching it to the preparation version of clerics and druids won't work since that's a capability wizards don't have. They need a nerfed version of the wizard style Ritual Casting, and unless I interpret the wizard kind as actually being able to use preparation as an alternative to having their book present, I have come up blank on options for that, so I'm just going to stick with standard wizard ritual casting unless I can think of some other alternative. Of course, in reality the better version of Ritual Casting is only worth about half a feat or less--since a feat will give wizard's Ritual Casting, and will give it to someone who can't even cast spells normally.

However, I did want to nerf something. Earlier in the design I had intended to start them with less than 6 known spells. Then I realized that that number was not arbitrary. With rolled stats, a 1st level character (gnome) could have the ability to prepare 6 spells, which I assume is why they set it there, and incentive enough not to reduce it.

Instead, I came up with a small nerf that enforces the flavor of Arcane Specialization. Two of the spells in their book at 1st level have to be from the same school, and that's the school whose ability they will get with Arcane Specialization.

Hope some of that is helpful. Good luck with it!

Yes it is, thanks.

Perhaps, the finesse property works best as a racial feature.
High Elf Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the longsword and the longbow. You can treat the longsword as having the finesse property.
Wood Elf Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the spear and the longbow. You can treat the spear as having the finesse property.
Drow Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the rapier, the shortsword, and the hand crossbow.

While I wouldn't want to add it into the class, something like this for elves is a decent idea. I'd probably just allow elves to use Dexterity with longswords when wielded in one hand as part of their weapon training feature. This would prevent unintended interactions with the finesse property (WoTC follows that precedent in places like the monk's martial arts), and prevent a d10 finesse weapon.

Good thoughts everyone.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
How about for the capstone the have something like the following which i saw on an eldritch knight revision somewhere online.

greater war magic. When you cast a spell you can make 2 weapon attacks as a bonus action.

I think the version I saw limited it to cantrips.

I really do like how this is working out. Not having a subclass I think is fine since combining two classes into one makes a powerful class, even though it doesn't include every ability. I'm also fine with the whole stat requirements to take the class but then I grew up with them with the earlier editions.

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

I'm glad this is the big issue, because it isn't an essential part of the class design. I threw it in for more a fightery feel, thinking it wasn't going to have much effect on damage output (perhaps I was wrong). How does this alternative feel?

Attack Surge
When you reach 20th level, you can push your attack speed beyond your normal limits for a moment. When you take the Attack action on your turn you can attack three times.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Pretty meh. Probably not worth the space it takes to write down on your character sheet--but certainly not objectionably overpowered!

Alright, it looks like we're down to the fine-tuning stage. For the Indomitable Spirit and Attack Surge features, here are my current thoughts.

INDOMITABLE SPIRIT

Beginning at 10th level, you can reroll a Strength or Wisdom saving throw that you fail. If you do so, you must use the new roll, and you can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
When you reach 18th level, the saving throw that you reroll can be of any type.

ATTACK SURGE

When you reach 20th level, you can push your attack speed beyond your normal limits for a moment. When you take the Attack action on your turn you can attack three times. Alternately, when you use your War Magic feature you can make two weapon attacks as a bonus action.

I have two tables to assist in evaluation. The first table is a revised version of the comparison table I posted before. The second is a level by level breakdown of what that comes out looking like. In the latter table, I've attempted to assess roughly equivalent features and "cancel" them out of the equation (noted in the right hand column) so that you can see only the specific things that differ between the two classes at each level. Notes after the second table explain more about it.

Comparison 3.PNG

Level by Level Comparison.png
Notes on Level by Level Table
-Parenthetical Bladesinger abilities only apply with bladesong active (ie, most of the time).
-(Cantrip) in parentheses in the Warrior-Mage entry indicates their DPR at that level is from green-flame blade or booming blade, while Bladesinger's is not. Therefore there is a possibility of secondary damage.
-Partial good save is a representation that both classes get a good save and a secondary save, while Bladesinger also gets a bonus to Con saves for concentration (which is likely half or more of the Con saves they'll make). Since the total concentration save bonus is being numerically compared, it was important to also note who comes out ahead in number of saving throw proficiencies (or equivalent). Indomitable Spirit (and the improved version) cancel this out, though I wasn't really able to determine at which level they should be considered canceled.
-Second Wind (1/long rest) has been included in the total hit points of the Warrior-Mage
-At 10th+ level, Song of Defense was used to convert all the slots gained through Arcane Recovery to damage negation. The virtual hp this adds to Bladesinger brings them very close to that of Warrior-Mage (they are usually a few points ahead after that point). Because this is an as-needed slot to hp conversion, I included flexible slots/hp in their features.
-The feature equivalency for Arcane Specialization was extremely difficult, since the features I like the most for it (minor conjuration, minor alchemy, improved minor illusion) are of limited combat usefulness, but serve as fun utility toys, while other features have more combat utility. The extra cantrip can provide added combat power, Perfomance proficiencies is utility, and advantage with Acrobatics is useful both in and out of combat. With my nerfs to the combat features, I think they are probably all more or less balanced.

So how are we looking for overall balance, class role distinction, and effectiveness?

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
[MENTION=6677017]Sword of Spirit[/MENTION]. A minor nitpick. It's not fair to compare the wizard with mage armor especially at lower levels since that is taking away a spell resource to do that. (yes it may very well can get it right back with the recover slot but that means the recovery slot went to mage armor and so they are close to even on spells in those levels.

FrogReaver

Let me break the class now :)

Take a high dex and high con and whatever int is required.
Level 1 take variant human. Take crossbow expertise.
Level 2 Archery Fighting Style
Level 3 take darkvision
Level 4 take sharp shooter
Level 5 take haste
Level 6 extra attack

That's 4 attacks with -5/+10 and archery style at level 6. (3 combats per day). From level 6 to 11 you are basically a better fighter than a fighter and have full spell casting...

Since I hadn't (and may still haven't) settled on all the details, I had some more thoughts.

I don't like War Magic before level 14. I mean, I like it, but it is too good at those levels. On the other hand, without it those lower levels look bland in melee combat. I finally came up with a solution that I like. Instead of War Magic at level 8, give them this (they still get Improved War Magic at 14th level):

WAR MAGIC INITIATE

Beginning at 8th level, when you use your action to cast a cantrip, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. Once you use this feature you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

This allows for a cool little thematic burst a few times a day, but doesn't push their melee damage too high at levels 11-13.

The other one I had a hard time with was Indomitable Spirit. Too easy to make it worthlessly weak, or trespassing on the fighter's full Indomitable. Here's my thoughts on it now:

INDOMITABLE SPIRIT

Beginning at 10th level, when you roll a Strength or Wisdom saving throw and don't like the result, you can reroll and use the better result. You reroll after seeing the roll but before knowing if your saving throw succeeds or fails. If you do so, you must use the new roll, and you can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

That keeps it a bit better than advantage, but it never becomes as good as Indomitable, which is a great place for it.

I'm also thinking of removing the War Magic interaction from Attack Surge, so it only provides the third attack with the Attack action.

I think these make it just about right. I welcome feedback taking into account those three changes.

[MENTION=6677017]Sword of Spirit[/MENTION]. A minor nitpick. It's not fair to compare the wizard with mage armor especially at lower levels since that is taking away a spell resource to do that. (yes it may very well can get it right back with the recover slot but that means the recovery slot went to mage armor and so they are close to even on spells in those levels.

Sorry, the table must not have been as clear as I intended. Arcane Recovery is canceled out of the equation at level 1, because it is being used to produce mage armor. That's why it doesn't show up in the Bladesinger column. The columns represent all the features that one class has that the other doesn't at that level. Bladesinger doesn't use mage armor from level 2 on.

Let me break the class now :)

Take a high dex and high con and whatever int is required.
Level 1 take variant human. Take crossbow expertise.
Level 2 Archery Fighting Style
Level 3 take darkvision
Level 4 take sharp shooter
Level 5 take haste
Level 6 extra attack

That's 4 attacks with -5/+10 and archery style at level 6. (3 combats per day). From level 6 to 11 you are basically a better fighter than a fighter and have full spell casting...

Fortunately this isn't an issue because I nerf Great Weapon Master, Sharpshooter, and Crossbow Expert. :D Which means for these purposes all they have over a Bladesinger is the +2 to hit from Fighting Style.

FrogReaver

Since I hadn't (and may still haven't) settled on all the details, I had some more thoughts.

I don't like War Magic before level 14. I mean, I like it, but it is too good at those levels. On the other hand, without it those lower levels look bland in melee combat. I finally came up with a solution that I like. Instead of War Magic at level 8, give them this (they still get Improved War Magic at 14th level):

WAR MAGIC INITIATE

Beginning at 8th level, when you use your action to cast a cantrip, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. Once you use this feature you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

This allows for a cool little thematic burst a few times a day, but doesn't push their melee damage too high at levels 11-13.

The other one I had a hard time with was Indomitable Spirit. Too easy to make it worthlessly weak, or trespassing on the fighter's full Indomitable. Here's my thoughts on it now:

INDOMITABLE SPIRIT

Beginning at 10th level, when you roll a Strength or Wisdom saving throw and don't like the result, you can reroll and use the better result. You reroll after seeing the roll but before knowing if your saving throw succeeds or fails. If you do so, you must use the new roll, and you can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

That keeps it a bit better than advantage, but it never becomes as good as Indomitable, which is a great place for it.

I'm also thinking of removing the War Magic interaction from Attack Surge, so it only provides the third attack with the Attack action.

I think these make it just about right. I welcome feedback taking into account those three changes.

Sorry, the table must not have been as clear as I intended. Arcane Recovery is canceled out of the equation at level 1, because it is being used to produce mage armor. That's why it doesn't show up in the Bladesinger column. The columns represent all the features that one class has that the other doesn't at that level. Bladesinger doesn't use mage armor from level 2 on.

Fortunately this isn't an issue because I nerf Great Weapon Master, Sharpshooter, and Crossbow Expert. :D Which means for these purposes all they have over a Bladesinger is the +2 to hit from Fighting Style.

But I didn't think we were discussing a game with nerfed GWM, SS and CE?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases