D&D 5E What do you think Wizard's preferred customer is like and what are his/her buying habits?

Corpsetaker

First Post
Wizards obviously has has a specific type of customer in mind with this whole "power to the brand" push and I'm wondering what they want this preferred customer's buying habits to be?

Do they want this person to be someone who buys all three books, all the AP's, goes to AL every week, runs their own games maybe during the weekend, plays Neverwinter and spends loads of money doing this, has a Fantasy Grounds account and runs those games as well, and then will eventually spend even more money on Sword Coast Legends?

Sounds like someone with loads of money and time on their hands.

Who do you think is their visionary customer for this edition?

delericho

Legend
Right now, I suspect they want people playing the game. I'm sure they're quite happy if people buy, but I suspect that's secondary.

Because "we have 6 million regular players" makes for a more attractive license than "we have 1 million regular players".

Remathilis

Legend
Its fairly obvious, look at Dragon+.

To be honest, everything I see WotC mention about the TTRPG is that they are aiming for the same audience as Settler's of Catan; people who want a communal experience every week for a few hours playing in a group of friends. They lost the war against WoW, so they are trying to take on the demographic who likes complicated "board" games. Which is why Mearls couches his examples in terms of board games rather than other RPGs or MMOs. I really think their audience is mostly young casuals with a bit of disposable income and immersed in geek culture rather than us hard-core players who rebuild the game to our liking or buy every supplement.

Yaarel

He Mage
Probably, WotC has two kinds of target customer.

1. Dungeon Masters, who tend to buy products and to encourage others to buy products.

2. Slackers who play for free. The slackers are important for popularizing the D&D brand, which indirectly increases the profits from licensing.

Possibly WotC is still trying to figure out how to increase the number of slackers but without losing control of the brand.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Their customers are anyone who wants to play games. If those people are roleplayers, they can play any RPGs they want-- and if that includes any version of D&D, WotC has products on the market for those people to buy if they wish. If those people are board gamers, WotC makes and sells board games-- some related to Dungeons & Dragons, some not. If those people are video gamers, WotC publishes several different RPG video games that people can play. If those people are card gamers... Magic is all over it.

WotC wants people playing games. All games. Because when people do, and playing games becomes a habit... people will buy all manner of games-- including ones that WotC and Hasbro sell. And thus everyone wins.

Yaarel

He Mage
Probably, WotC has two kinds of target customer.

1. Dungeon Masters, who tend to buy products and to encourage others to buy products.

2. Slackers who play for free. The slackers are important for popularizing the D&D brand, which indirectly increases the profits from licensing.

Possibly WotC is still trying to figure out how to increase the number of slackers but without losing control of the brand.

Heh. Probably, ‘casuals’ is a better term for ‘slackers’.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I can only say it is probably not me.

Pretty much this. I was originally going to say, "I have genuinely no idea at this point," but I was failing to consider that I'm fairly sure of some things it isn't.

Heh. Probably, ‘casuals’ is a better term for ‘slackers’.

Eh...both are used in rather negative contexts quite often. "Casual" may not be as inherently negative as "slacker," but if we're trying for positive language it's not exactly ideal either. Particularly because it's entirely possible to consider yourself a "D&D fan/player" while meeting whatever definition of "casual" you have--I probably would, despite being a forum-frequenter, because of how rare play opportunities have been for me.

Mercule

Adventurer
Their preferred customers are people who will spend money on their products.

The problem, right now, is that they aren't sure which products will get enough people (whatever that is) to spend money. That's why they're so firm that D&D "isn't [just?] a TTRPG, anymore". They think that video games and maybe books will bring in more money (have a wider audience). I'm sure the gold ring is to pull a Marvel and have D&D spread across movie/TV screens to the point where the RPG is a footnote.

Where I think they're looking at it wrong isn't in trying to expand into other markets. It's that D&D can't and won't translate well to TV/movie. D&D doesn't have a story. D&D doesn't even have a real setting. Forgotten Realms has a story and setting. Eberron has a story and setting. Dark Sun has a story and a setting. Those are all things that could be put into action. If WotC can figure out that they don't just have one "brand", but have several, they might actually be able to pull it off. Right now, they don't seem to have a clue.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Their preferred customers are people who will spend money on their products.

The problem, right now, is that they aren't sure which products will get enough people (whatever that is) to spend money. That's why they're so firm that D&D "isn't [just?] a TTRPG, anymore". They think that video games and maybe books will bring in more money (have a wider audience). I'm sure the gold ring is to pull a Marvel and have D&D spread across movie/TV screens to the point where the RPG is a footnote.

Where I think they're looking at it wrong isn't in trying to expand into other markets. It's that D&D can't and won't translate well to TV/movie. D&D doesn't have a story. D&D doesn't even have a real setting. Forgotten Realms has a story and setting. Eberron has a story and setting. Dark Sun has a story and a setting. Those are all things that could be put into action. If WotC can figure out that they don't just have one "brand", but have several, they might actually be able to pull it off. Right now, they don't seem to have a clue.

Yeah, you raise a good point--D&D, by its nature, cannot have a single narrative or story, because it's (theoretically, anyway) supposed to be an engine that powers a story, whatever story the DM wants to tell. Whether that story is The Epic Of <Our PCs>, or How To Killinate Everything: from Aboleths to Zombies, or It's Their World, You Just Play In It, the game acts as some kind of platform or engine for each individual group's desired *thing.*

Dark Sun, I feel, would be an excellent choice for a movie franchise. It's a dystopian world, ripe for change, perfect for gruff anti-heroes and classic Conan-esque "sword & sandal" storytelling. Heck, you could probably do worse than just adapting the "Prism Pentad" (or whatever it's called) to the silver screen. And if those sell well, branch out further: there's still a market for "monster of the night" films as illustrated by the Underworld series, so Ravenloft could work; a freewheeling, pulpy action-magic-adventure flick in Eberron could be plenty fun; and Dragonlance has scads of stories that could be told, even playing with ideas like having Raistlin as a villain protagonist or something.

5e may have tried to go back to its roots, but it seems like the people managing the whole shebang have forgotten that D&D, the game, has always been a means to some other end, and not an end in itself.

Remove ads