• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Constructs revisited (Mongoose's Constructs supplement)

Devon

First Post
I received a copy of "Constructs" yesterday, and it's been quite a nice sourcebook.

There is an option for Extra Limbs which includes wings, although anything other than a Simulacrum (ex:
homunculus) with flight gets Poor maneuverability, so I am going to have to figure out an enhanced version
of flight for those quicker, bird-like automatons.

Also, giving extra intelligence to constructs isn't really addressed. You can give one Speech, which gives it
+3 to Int, or an 8 Int, whichever is higher, but making more intelligent golems and automata isn't addressed.
Only simulacra, which are based upon actual creatures, seem to have the capacity for above-average
intelligence.

The whole thing is set up with a base Cost Rating, which is increased as you add more features. You get
more base abilities depending on which type you go for: Golem (few abilities, very tough), Automata (weaker
than golems, but capable of possessing more abilities), and Simulacra (which is more like a template applied
to a base creature, like Erica's Flesh Golem template), adding Cost Rating.

When you're done adding abilities, you multiply to get the body cost, total cost, and xp cost.

There's a system for determining the DC for creating each type. They have a base set of HD-related stats
for various golem types: bone, wood, gold, adamantium, etc., as well as for automata. Simulacra, as before,
are treated as templates.

Overall, it looks like a nice system, but I still need to playtest it. I'll be changing the creation requirements
on a couple of my golems, but some abilities (like the Chain Golem's Flurry ability) will need to be spliced into
their system for balance purposes.

I may have to add Extra Intelligence and Quick Flight as additional abilities, with their own Construction
costs and requirements. If anyone who has the Constructs book is interested, I can post them, or we can
perhyaps workshop these abilities.

- Devon

Remove ads