Who's the king of licenses?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know you'll ask "does that mean the most licenses, or the best licenses, or what?" and the answer is "it means whatever you'd like it to mean!"

Include past and present (if you like). RPGs only, though, not board games.

Green Ronin - Dragon Age, Game of Thrones, Thieves World, Black Company, DC

Cubicle 7 - Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Primeval, Lone Wolf, now WFRP

Modiphius - Conan, Star Trek, a ton of others I think

I'm sure folks will think of even more prolific licensees!

JeffB

Legend
not sure how to answer who I think King of licenses is. Its not important who has them or how many. Its how the license is handled and the quality of the game and materials. Modiphius has 3 licenses I would like to support, but I don't like their system (or the one system fits all mentality, which I hated with WOTC and d20)

dbm

Savage!
Steve Jackson Games and GURPS have to be contenders. Conan, Discworld, Horseclans, Humanx, Star Trek via Prime Directive, The Prisoner, Hellboy, Lensman, New Sun, Vorkosigan Saga, Wild Cards.

And they even have licensed other RPGs: Vampire, Mage and Werewolf. Castle Falkenstein. Bunnies & Burrows. Deadlands. In Nomine. An extensive Traveller line.

Last edited:

For the timing of TMNT and Other Strangeness with the Turtle mania of the 80s and 90s, it’s tempting to list Palladium on that and Robotech alone. Most RPG companies would kill for that kind of luck.

aramis erak

Legend
I know you'll ask "does that mean the most licenses, or the best licenses, or what?" and the answer is "it means whatever you'd like it to mean!"

Include past and present (if you like). RPGs only, though, not board games.

The one true king is C7 - they do licenses well, with excellent writing, and keeping it both classy and on point.

FFG is a close second, what with their Star Wars and WFRP/WH40K licenses. They gave up the Warhammer ones... but they worked them solidly for years. Like C7, they do it well, and do it right.

West End used to be the most prolific - In their heyday: Necroscope, Star Wars, Hecules & Xena, MiB, Indianna Jones, Tank Girl, Shatterzone*, and Batman.

*not technically a license, IIUC - I think they hired Asimov to create the setting for them.

FASA had the holy grail in their day: Star Trek and Dr. Who... but it eventually bit them.

Palladium's milked one license to the point that they're more responsible for its value than the originator - as they are the ones who expanded the setting! Many people think of the RPG when they hear Robotech, not of the anime. (The Novelizations use most of Palladium's expansions to the setting, too,) I'd not call them kings, as the system is pretty wonky, but KS does do excellent setting work.

Dishonorable mention: Mongoose. Many issues with each and every licensed game. Traveller, while doing well, is not really a faithful adaptation of the game nor setting. Judge Dredd was really poor in both the d20 and Traveller versions. Glorantha/RuneQuest was meh, and was also an IP jab at Greg, essentially blackmailing him for the license. They almost F*d up their deal with ADB within the first month, too... and so Traveller PD was essentially cancelled. And Paranoia... they didn't screw the game too badly with Paranoia XP... but did violate Microsoft's IP...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I feel so ignorant around licenses. Does anyone have an idea of what a license might cost, in round numbers? And I know it varies tremendously by license, but I'm definitely curious.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I feel so ignorant around licenses. Does anyone have an idea of what a license might cost, in round numbers? And I know it varies tremendously by license, but I'm definitely curious.

Definitely varies. Usually a royalty rate with an advance/guarantee (often annually) against those royalties for a fixed period, often about 3 years-ish.

nerfherder

Explorer
Not the king, but Leading Edge Games at one point in the 80/90s had licenses for Aliens, Terminator, and... Lawnmower Man.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Remove ads