Legalities in Posting D&D Youtube videos

Mat Ridenour

First Post
Hey everyone,
Hopefully somebody knows more than I about this....
I am planning to post YouTube videos of my D&D Campaign. But I want to make sure I don't get in trouble....
I am aware of the difference between Open-Gaming Content (in the SRD) and Product Identity (in the books).

My questions are:
In a YouTube video, do we have to use only the SRD Player Rules, or can we use the Player's Handbook? There are character options that are not in the SRD.
Can we show the D&D books? Or do they have to be off-screen (or covered up)?
Can we say "D&D"? (I assume we can't say "Dungeons & Dragons")
Do we have to post the Open-Gaming License on our video?

I'm aware of (most) of the rules on publishing your own content (sticking to SRD, and not Product Identity), and printing the OGL in your book/PDF.
How do these rules/laws apply to videos?

If anyone could help clear this up that would be great! Much appreciated!
-Mat R.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Legalities in Posting D&D Youtube videos

You can post videos of yourself playing games, using products, and using words. It would be a frightening world if you could never utter the word “McDonalds” aloud or post a photo of your new car! :)

That’s all very, very legal. Miles within the boundaries of fair use - and, more importantly, WotC wants you to do it! Don’t sweat it. :)

(The only problems you’d likely run into is if you defamed them in some way or portrayed yourself as being official).

Caveat to Morrus' Point:

If you are monetising your video (or site through the videos) then you cannot use trademarked terms in the advertisement of the show or individual videos. You could call the video series Mat Plays D&D because that's vague or Mat fights Dragons in Dungeons because that's not trademarked. But Mat Plays Dungeons & Dragons or Mat in the Forgotten Realms could get you into (relatively minor) legal trouble IF money is involved.
This is why Geek & Sundry has "GM Tips" rather than "DM Tips".
Ditto having your advertisements or cover images of your videos showing the books, WotC logos, etc. You can show them in the stream, but you can't make it part of the advertisement.

All of that is super easy to avoid. And generally, if you're trying to respect their trademarks and not misrepresent yourself as "official" they'll be cool with any small slip ups.

Other than that... WotC has no problem with streamers or people posting videos. They actually love it. They recently did a big event called the Stream of Annihilation (http://dnd.wizards.com/streamofannihilation) where they invited a lot of people who played D&D online to a product announcement party.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] and [MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION] already covered everything I would have said, but I wanted to give you kudos for thinking to ask first.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It’s important to note that you do not have to scrub out images of real world objects from photographs or videos unless you are misrepresenting yourself as representing those brands. You can take a photo of yourself with a BMW in the background, or a video of yourself in front of Madison Square Garden. You can’t claim to be representing BMW though.

You can also video yourself using a real world item. You can make a cooking video and use a Saladmaster pot, a video of yourself doing a cool jump with a BMX bicycle, wearing manufactured clothing on film, or playing a game using D&D books.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Remove ads