• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me with Choices

Wystan

Explorer
I need Magic Items for this Character:
Theif
Lvl 6
Stats:
Str: 14
Dex: 20
Con: 10
Int: 17
Wis: 11
Cha: 15

Limits:
Total of 35000 Gold
Max 20000 Magic
Remainder 15000 Non-Magic Items

Would like:
Magic Armor and Rapier
Various helpful Items.

Thank you.

Wystan

Explorer
Nobody Else?

I guess I will go with the following:
10x Potion Cure Moderate (3000GP)
Rapier +1 (2320GP)
Studded Leather +1, Glamered (3875GP)
Amulet of Natural Armor +1 (2000GP)
Gloves of Dex +2 (4000GP)
Ring of Sustenance (2250GP)
8x Scroll Comprehend Languages (200GP)
Wand of Detet Magic-50 Charges (350gp)
Handy Haversack (2000GP)

Total GP Spent:
19995GP

Is that a good 6th level Thief assortment?

Comments?

boxstop7

First Post
Just a few thoughts:

Chime of opening?

Immovable Rod?

Rope of Climbing?

Might be a bit pricey, but any one of them is well worth it.

- Jason

Voadam

Legend
Potions/scrolls of invisibility. Since you have scrolls I assume you have use magic device.

Thief not rogue? Are you a pickpocket type or a B&E Burglar or a con man?

Pickpockets need to be able to run or get out of grapples if caught.

Burglars need trap detection(one of the lens or eye things to boost search skills), climbing/levitation/flight, and opening stuff (knock wand, chime of opening). Hiding stuff is good too.

Con men need charisma boosters and a hat of disguise. speedy getaway items are good too.

Wystan

Explorer
Guess more rogue, will be the trap finder and such.

I like the ideas, but I need a well rounded set of items and of course I took use magic device.... :)

reveal

Adventurer
You may want to add the "Glamered" Special Ability to your armor. It's +2700gp and "A suit of armor with this ability appears normal. Upon command, the armor changes shape and form to assume the appearance of a normal set of clothing. The armor retains all its properties (including weight) when glamered. Only a true seeing spell or similar magic reveals the true nature of the armor when disguised."

VERY nice to have for a rogue. :)

Also, you may want to check out the Elven Thinblade in the Complete Warrior. It's an Exotic Weapon, but it does 1d8 damage, 18-20/x2 crit range and you can use Weapon Finesse with it like you can a rapier. It costs 100gp. There's also an Elven Shortblade which costs 50gp, does 1d6 damage and has the same crit range.

Other magic items I recommend:
Ring of Protection

Anything to boost your Dex

Ring of Sustenance (only need 2 hours sleep instead of 8, even if you're a magic user)

Boots of Striding and Springing

Hand of the Mage (hide it underneath your shirt and allows you to cast Mage Hand at will; very nice for a rogue with Use Magic Device)

Last edited:

Len

Prodigal Member
Here are my suggestions:

First, Heward's Handy Haversack (already on your list).
Next, one or two of every useful small item in the Equipment chapter. Rope, tindertwigs, oil, holy water, pitons, mirror, chalk, sewing needle, fishhook, etc. If there's room in your magic item budget, get some magic stuff that might come in handy, e.g. Quaal's feather tokens, golembane scarab.

It's great to be able to pull something out of your pack at the right moment. A bunch of golems and only one fighter can get through their DR? "Just a sec, I've got a golembane scarab right here." My DM wasn't thrilled. :cool:

Speaking of DR, if you don't want to be left out of some fights entirely, get a couple of extra weapons that can hit various DR creatures, e.g. a cold iron rapier and a silver light mace. Plus silver and cold iron arrows if you use a bow. (And I do recommend getting a shortbow, for those times when you don't want to bring your measly collection of hit points too close to the enemy.)

With Use Magic Device, a wand of Cure Light Wounds is a good buy, and it could be a party-saver if the cleric goes down.

I like Slippers of Spider Climbing, but there are umpteen other magic items that are also useful.

I'd choose a mithral chain shirt instead of glamered armor. I can't think of any situations my character has faced where glamered armor would have helped, but YMMV.

Remove ads