BATTLE OF THE BARDS - Heat 2!

Vote for the winner of BATTLE OF THE BARDS - HEAT 2!

• RAVENS IN THE LIBRARY by SJ Tucker of Dumas, Arkansas

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • JASON AND THE DRAGON by Matthew 'Amoebacide' Dobrich of Melbourne, Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AXE OF DESTRUCTION by Gary McGath of Nashua, New Hampshire

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • THE ORC WHO LOVES DWARVES by Neil Berry of Bristol, England

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • DUNGEON HUSTLE by Mississippi Bones of Hardin County, Ohio

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • SECRETS by W. Scott Snyder of Austin, Texas

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Poll closed .

DM Howard

Explorer
These were all really great just like the first heat, but my vote goes to the Axe of Destruction. I love quirky songs like that!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
DUNGEON HUSTLE seems to have edged into a clear lead. RAVENS and SECRETS currently look like the only two with a chance of catching up. I'm surprised at the low turnout for JASON - I thought that one was quite good.

Mary_Crowell

First Post
Is there any possibility of creating different categories for the songs at this point or perhaps after the heats are done?

Possible categories:
Best parody
Best rock song
Best character study
Best Adventure story
Best meta game song

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is there any possibility of creating different categories for the songs at this point or perhaps after the heats are done?

Possible categories:
Best parody
Best rock song
Best character study
Best Adventure story
Best meta game song

We could do that afterwards informally, but I don't think my brother would be too happy about the prospect of making prize videos for an extra half dozen winners! :)

But there's no reason we can't do that on a more informal basis. We have, I think, 21 songs in total - so there's only so many ways you can divide 21 songs.

Mary_Crowell

First Post
We could do that afterwards informally, but I don't think my brother would be too happy about the prospect of making prize videos for an extra half dozen winners! :)

But there's no reason we can't do that on a more informal basis. We have, I think, 21 songs in total - so there's only so many ways you can divide 21 songs.

Oh goodness! :) I definitely wasn't proposing they each get a video. I was thinking kudos afterward. (Not the candy bar)

Janx

Hero
DUNGEON HUSTLE seems to have edged into a clear lead. RAVENS and SECRETS currently look like the only two with a chance of catching up. I'm surprised at the low turnout for JASON - I thought that one was quite good.

more opinion, wrapped in Saran Wrap to prevent spoilage:
[sblock]

For me, Jason was doing well until I got to the Hustle. the Hustle was a better sung rock song, though I liked what Jason was attempting better.

Jason had a good rock/metal foundation, but the vocals were buried by the music, and there were a few pitchy or weak spots.

Jason was certainly better than some of last week's vocalizations. It definitely reached for D&D Rock Song that I was hoping to hear last week.

Last week's offering of quavering nerd vox was why Low Stat was such a standout for its quality singing. If Jason was in last week's batch, I may have voted for it.

The Orc song had some fun lyrics, but something went wrong in the engineering and the vocals were all but non-existant. I know it's extra work for EN World, but the Orc guy would have benefitted from a "was this intentional, we can't really hear the vocals" correspondence. Tt might have been worth a few minutes in Garage Band (or other app) to raise the levels and make a new MP3 and send it back to EN World.

I have no doubt some folks are looking past the singing quality. Pretty much all the songs have clever lyrics. So to me, the differentiating factor is the music and singing. From that, pretty much all songs are ruled by the the vocals to most people. There are few songs favored by people where everybody likes it but acknowledges "the singing sucks, but we love it anyway"

By no means in my critique, would I say I could do better. Heck, I failed to produce a song. I do not have a good singing voice, but I can discern what I look for in a good singer.

[/sblock]

Lanefan

Victoria Rules

Did you lose some? One of your posts just before voting started indicated there are 28 entries - you went to 5 heats instead of 4 (so I assume a 5-5-6-6-6 division of entries) - what happened to the other seven?

Lanefan

Mary_Crowell

First Post
Did you lose some? One of your posts just before voting started indicated there are 28 entries - you went to 5 heats instead of 4 (so I assume a 5-5-6-6-6 division of entries) - what happened to the other seven?

Lanefan

I wondered that too. I just figured I'd misread--I'm glad you asked.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

I typed 28 when I meant 20 (which in itself was wrong, as it's 21). The fifth heat is the final. 5-6-5-5-FINAL.

Remove ads