General Discussion

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
oops, thought it was 'canon'

Just now saw in the nav bar that it is other rule systems. I had done a search for the info, so I did not see the forbidden territory.

Oh well, time for some pizza then.

sunshadow21

Explorer
I apologize for my relative lack of posting lately. Life has kept me fairly busy, and everytime I sit down at the computer, my brain just wants to shut down, so it's been difficult finding the focus and energy to keep up properly. Please feel free to DNPC my characters if it is holding up the games.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
There are many PC races that are not available to PCs in E'n/LPF. No argument from me - I think this is a good thing (mostly for flavor reasons). However, some of those races open up options and archetypes that are very interesting. Can the Racial Heritage feat be used to gain access to options for races that are not available to PCs in LPF?

FrancisJohn

Explorer
If a witch takes the Ability Focus feat, can it apply to all hexes or just a single hex? I can see reasons for both.
Hex: Witches learn a number of magic tricks, called hexes, that grant them powers or weaken foes. At 1st level, a witch gains one hex of her choice. She gains an additional hex at 2nd level and for every 2 levels attained after 2nd level, as noted on Table 2–10. A witch cannot select an individual hex more than once.
Unless otherwise noted, using a hex is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The save to resist a hex is equal to 10 + 1/2 the witch's level + the witch's Intelligence modifier.

Ability Focus

One of this creature's special attacks is particularly difficult to resist.

Prerequisite: Special attack.

Benefit: Choose one of the creature's special attacks. Add +2 to the DC for all saving throws against the special attack on which the creature focuses.

Special: A creature can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time the creature takes the feat, it applies to a different special attack.

Aura

Explorer
If a witch takes the Ability Focus feat, can it apply to all hexes or just a single hex? I can see reasons for both.

Read RAW, a Witch cannot take this feat. A special attack is a specific monster mechanic and the witch doesn't have it. Additionally, the Bestiary is technically not in the list of approved sources for PC construction. There is historical exception for Bestiary mechanics in PC's when specifically called for from approved sources, such as a Druid shapeshifting into an animal, but this case doesn't meet that criteria.

If it were to be allowed for some reason, I certainly wouldn't see it effecting all of a witch's hexes any more than Weapon Focus would effects all of a fighter's weapons. In both cases, the individual weapons and hexes are simply members in a class.

It's worth noting that the issue has been noticed by others on the internet and is known to produce some extraordinarily high DC's for an ability that has no limit to the number of times it can be used per day.

Aura

Explorer
There are many PC races that are not available to PCs in E'n/LPF. No argument from me - I think this is a good thing (mostly for flavor reasons). However, some of those races open up options and archetypes that are very interesting. Can the Racial Heritage feat be used to gain access to options for races that are not available to PCs in LPF?

Completely as a opinion call, I'd say... maybe. The primary determinant for me would be whether the race is known to exist in E'n at all. For example, I have used Ratfolk and Drow as NPC's. You've used a Dhamphir. However, this way of looking at it is difficult to check on the fly. Perhaps a list of races that exist might be useful. I'm feeling less sure as I write this what the most clear approach is outside of just saying no, though.

Remove ads