Do alignments improve the gaming experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I find alignment innocuous, mostly hand-waved, usable primarily to play 'being a paladin' or activating the 'good' based powers for an inquisitor. It points a direction for generalized attitudes and little more. Some groups I imagine can really put it to use effectively in their games. Me less so, though all the whining about alignment in many, many threads is because these people are taking it too seriously. It works fine for our games, because it has so little real meaning. Other than mechanical attributes to certain classes, or against certain monsters, we hardly think about alignment at all.

Hey man, not everyone who wants to play an Anderson style knight in shining armour who fights for honour is interested in method-acting deep , morally ambiguous existential crises every session, and however it's read, or characterized on a messageboard forum, it's not, and doesn't have to be trivial to find the alignment system adequate.

Despite how mentally undone you might become by the notion that someone might want to play a paladin within the context that you oversimplified, strap yourself in tight when you read this; I have written for many years many compelling, involving and entertaining stories, and never found the alignment system lacking.

I think you're missing some context of what I was responding to and how it relates to classic D&D alignment enforcement (specifically the virtues and oaths of a Paladin). I personally have no problem with what (I think) you're describing and it wouldn't matter if I did as its your table and you may (rightly) do as you please!

I think you're making a mistake here...

Could be. I'm certainly as prone to being wrong as anyone. Lets see.

I don't think most players sits down with the intention to play a paladin without the thematic trappings... that said once the game starts, a paladin may find himself in a situation where it is more expedient, safe, etc. to go against those trappings depending on the in-game circumstances, and since it is still a game and one can suffer loss and even death in-game, a player could easily be tempted to ignore those thematic trappings when convenient or when their back is against the wall.

EDIT: In the model you (and I believe @pemerton ) propose, nothing stops this from happening and, I have to ask, why would a player not choose the most expedient or optimized route if it is available and there are no repercussions for it?

No, I read you and I get that. That is certainly the dynamics in play that I was trying to capture above. My question though is just, "when the chips are down, if the thematic trappings of the classic D&D Paladin (sacrifice, unrelenting committment to duty in the face lethal opposition, etc etc) don't come to the fore of your character's actions...why not play a Fighter with a more malleable ethic?" I'm inclined to ask that of anyone who commits to something that is demanding and ultimately relents of their own volition.

I think we're (naturally) into the realm of behavioral psychology (as is pretty fundamental to the issues under discussion). Carrot and stick. Of course, given the diverse nature of peoples' programming, one approach might bear little to no fruit versus the other. Let us say this guy is in mortal danger (as a Paladin should be) and his oath is being tested simultanesouly. How about an oath that swears to "the committment to being a divine wall between the pressing horde and the innocent masses when there is no physical barrier." The carrot approach might look something like this:

- Gain <n> XP when you are outnumbered.

and/or

- When you are outnumbered 3:1 or more, you gain Divine Boon 001 (damage reduction, armor bonus, + n to hit and damage, et al).

and/or

- When innocents are in peril, your voice is imbued by the Divine might of your god (+ n bonus to Intimidate, Diplomacy, etc).

Stuff like that. Those mechanical incentives (should) compel someone toward fulfilling their oath. The abilities gained to even the odds reinforce the decision-making to observe the thematic trappings (in this case the specified oath above). I would hope they would chase down those opportunities as it is basically the point of play (both mechanically and the fictional archetype). If they still do not, then both the gameplay for them would (I would think) be stale (they don't get to do their shtick) and the fiction would simultaneously become incoherent with respect to their chosen archetype. That is the case where I'm wondering why they aren't just playing a Fighter (or another martial archetype) who doesn't wax (mechanically and within the fiction) by way of oaths fulfilled or virtues observed.

Hopefully that is more thorough and makes some semblance of sense.

Celebrim

Legend
Now, to pose a question - is it that alignment is impeding depth, or is it your mindset about alignment that is impeding depth?

If you are stuck in the mindset that alignment is prescriptive - "My character is Lawful Good, and so they must behave in accordance with that." - then yes, alignment will tend to impede depth.

If, however, you get in the mindset that alignment is descriptive - that how you behave on the long average determines your alignment, not the other way around - then there's no impediment. Act as you will, and let the alignment fall where it may.

I think it is an impediment to creating depth of character to view something prescriptive as being an impediment to depth. On the contrary, the really great and powerful characters of literature we know because we can say firmly and authoritatively, "That action would be out of character for X." In other words, we intuitively know that description of a character matches to some prescriptive set of strictures on the behavior of the character.

In TV series, it's not uncommon at all for the show to 'jump the shark' when the character 'evolves' by doing something that was entirely out of character for that character. We the audience don't want to see a character change, because the character stops being who we can to love the character for being. The character's trajectory must be inherent and foreshadowed by the character's traits to begin with. We may not know which way they will fall in the final trial and the final toss, but if it is a good character that conclusion must make sense in context so that either way, it is something we could see the character doing.

If you're a paladin, of course the first thought is about how they are restricted - that is part of the point of the class! But, you can phrase that either as, "I must be lawful good," or you can phrase that as, "This character has taken vows he or she holds dear."

The two must be equivalent. If your first thought it, "I must be lawful good", your second thought must be, "What does that mean?" If your first thought is, "I must be the sort of person who humbly submits to an outside authorities judgment, even when I disagree", your second thought must be, "What alignment am I talking about?" Problems occur when those two thoughts become disconnected.

Now of course, we could play a game where we only thought "I am the sort of person who humbly submits to the outside authorities judgment, even when I disagree" and didn't follow up with, "What alignment am I talking about?", but if we did so we'd lose certain potentials for mechanical interaction between the statement of belief and the descriptor and we'd have to work hard to replace that mechanical linkage with something else.

In my experience, not thinking deeply ahead of time about these things tends to trend the character to not actually be a character, but instead a playing piece whose actions are best described as 'they were chosen because the player felt they were the most expedient choices to make at the time' or at best 'they were chosen because they were the decisions most emotionally fulfilling to the player at the time' (usually self-aggrandizement, vengeance, and self-promotion). This is certainly true in writing novels or similar literature, but even more true when animating a player character in an RPG where you can't know ahead of time whether the story arc will carry the character.

One of the greatest RPG essays ever written in my opinion is 'The Seven Sentence NPC'. In it is some of the best and most pithy advice ever written about the art of crafting NPC's for practical use in a gameable environment. One argument you can make against alignment that seems at first blush to be a strong one is that the article makes pretty much no mention of alignment and stands well without it. Without alignment, all the character examples in the article stand up strongly as memorable NPCs (which IMO is often more important to an NPC at least than depth). So one might argue, "What do we need alignment for?" Many do. But a deeper understanding in my opinion is reached when you realize that for each of these memorable NPC's, you can add more depth to the character by in addition also specifying the alignment of the character and in doing so realize that each of the character examples could be given any of the 9 alignments and in each case becomes a radically different character which we must reassess. In many ways, the more strongly the alignment plays against the predictable personality type, the more surprising and memorable the character becomes.

Alignment might not tell us anything deep and useful about a character's personality. It certainly never provides us with a background or details out the relationships that are important to the character. All of those things are useful and perhaps even necessary whether we have alignment or not. But it tells us something of fundamental importance that a character's personality does not. It tells us some of the intrinsic prescriptions for getting the character right.

Imaro

Legend
It's alignment.

I agree. However... because I agree, alignment becomes useless to me. It's not nearly as useful at defining or describing a character's philosophical approach as a couple of sentences... maybe even a small paragraph or so... about my character is going to be.

Ok, here I see why you don't like it... why it's not as useful as it could be for your purposes... but not how it is actually impeding the depth of a character...

On the other hand, I tend to allow character's character (ahem) develop organically, based on what seems like the right response to stimuli throughout play. So, alignment is completely descriptive... but what exactly have I gained by attempting to describe these actions? In what way does alignment become useful to me? At best, it's trying to pigeonhole complicated stimulus/response patterns into poorly fitting and somewhat arbitrary buckets. At worst, it devolves into philosophical wrangling between the player and DM about what is or is not appropriate for an alignment, or is used in an attempt to bludgeon player behavior.

Well it could be useful as a shorthand, but putting that aside for a moment, again I am looking for why it is an actual impediment to the depth of a character? Alignment does not in and of itself prohibit me from writing background, personality traits or anything else so IMO... it's not pidgeonholing anything and is merely another facet of the character. As far as a DM using it to bludgeon characters or philosophical wrangling... are these classes where alignment has a mechanical impact on their play... or are you speaking generally?

I've never once had a good experience with alignment. At best, it's merely superfluous and pointless. At worst, it's an active detriment to having a good time at the table. Luckily for me, the way I play tends to push towards making it superfluous. And also luckily for me, the group I game with the last few years tends to be more or less on the same page as me about it.

But that hasn't always been the case, and I've been frustrated by interpretations of alignment esoterica and what it means for *my* character on more than one occasion throughout my gaming career.

Couldn't these same complaints arise with a fleshed out personality as opposed to alignment... "Your character would never do this..."? This doesn't seem like an "alignment" problem per se but instead strikes me as the problem that arises whenever people have differing interpretations of descriptors (including the description of a character's personality, traits, etc.)

Hopefully answered above.

I didn't really get a sense of why alignment in particular was an impediment to character depth from your reply... but it could be on me not understanding fully what you are saying.

Imaro, I'm not quite sure what would satisfy you. Clearly I'm not actively impeded by a rule that I already stated that I ignore. That seems self-evident. If I did use it, then it would impede depth, because I'd have to either 1) try and pattern the behavior of my character to follow an alignment description, even if an organically developed character would have nuance and shades of gray that spanned multiple alignment categories, or 2) repurpose alignment to be little more than a "team jersey" rather than a useful description of my character, which would be a house-rule and therefore beside the point of our conversation, or 3) ignore the alignment on my character sheet and develop my character organically and suck it up on the rare occasions that the rules interact with my alignment, or constantly update my alignment on my character sheet as actions dictate, which is a bit of a hassle for no discernable benefit.

In any case, we've wandered a bit off-topic. My response was that no, to me alignment does not improve the gaming experience. At best--depending on your interpretation of alignment--it is superfluous and meaningless. At worst--depending on your interpretation of alignment--it impedes the development of interesting characters that have depth. If the solution to the second situation is to interpret alignment in such a way that it invokes the first situation, which is what I've been told already by Umbran, then that's not very helpful. I already reached that conclusion and invoked the first situation in my own games long ago, and frankly, with that situation, there's no reason to have alignment at all.

I do also think it's interesting (although certainly not "proof" of anything) that no other fantasy game that isn't clearly and extremely derivative of D&D uses anything whatsoever like alignment.

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
No, I read you and I get that. That is certainly the dynamics in play that I was trying to capture above. My question though is just, "when the chips are down, if the thematic trappings of the classic D&D Paladin (sacrifice, unrelenting committment to duty in the face lethal opposition, etc etc) don't come to the fore of your character's actions...why not play a Fighter with a more malleable ethic?" I'm inclined to ask that of anyone who commits to something that is demanding and ultimately relents of their own volition.

Because you could have every intention of playing the paladin correctly up until the point where you have 3 hit points left, an unscathed giant is bearing down on a mother and her child and you think... sacrificing myself in a hopeless situation isn't REALLY about commitment or duty... it's just senseless stupidity... and so you decide to hide or run as the mother and child are killed...

I think we're (naturally) into the realm of behavioral psychology (as is pretty fundamental to the issues under discussion). Carrot and stick. Of course, given the diverse nature of peoples' programming, one approach might bear little to no fruit versus the other. Let us say this guy is in mortal danger (as a Paladin should be) and his oath is being tested simultanesouly. How about an oath that swears to "the committment to being a divine wall between the pressing horde and the innocent masses when there is no physical barrier." The carrot approach might look something like this:

- Gain <n> XP when you are outnumbered.

and/or

- When you are outnumbered 3:1 or more, you gain Divine Boon 001 (damage reduction, armor bonus, + n to hit and damage, et al).

and/or

- When innocents are in peril, your voice is imbued by the Divine might of your god (+ n bonus to Intimidate, Diplomacy, etc).

Stuff like that. Those mechanical incentives (should) compel someone toward fulfilling their oath. The abilities gained to even the odds reinforce the decision-making to observe the thematic trappings (in this case the specified oath above). I would hope they would chase down those opportunities as it is basically the point of play (both mechanically and the fictional archetype). If they still do not, then both the gameplay for them would (I would think) be stale (they don't get to do their shtick) and the fiction would simultaneously become incoherent with respect to their chosen archetype. That is the case where I'm wondering why they aren't just playing a Fighter (or another martial archetype) who doesn't wax (mechanically and within the fiction) by way of oaths fulfilled or virtues observed.

Hopefully that is more thorough and makes some semblance of sense.

It makes sense and I understand the approach you think is best but I have a few problems with it...

One problem with the carrot approach is that they are only incentives up to the point that a PC feels that using them this one time is worth more than what he may give up if he does... as an example, in a situation where the player will loose... let's say his favorite holy avenger sword, even using his bonuses/powers/etc if he holds back an enemy... but he could retain it by acting in a different manner, say hiding or running away, he has no reason to act in the manner that the powers reward him for since he will still have them if he doesn't behave in a fitting manner (this time) and he will not have lost the holy avenger sword. On the other hand I'm not sure many if any players would loose all of their class abilities in order to retain a magic weapon (this is the stick)...

Another problem with the reward or carrot approach is that, if you are rewarding specific actions in specific circumstances it still doesn't carry any weight in the situations those rewards don't appear in... As an example, your paladin above wouldn't get a bonus when he tortures a tied up and helpless innocent... but nothing in your methodology causes him to be adverse to this action either (he's as good at it as anyone else so why not)... he doesn't suffer any repercussions so if it's expedient or necessary, torture of the innocent will be on the table for this paladin... even though he's supposed to be a wall for said innocents that holds back the darkness. Again this problem doesn't arise in a more general stick approach... do I want to loose my powers because I did this... probably not.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I don't believe the alignment rules were invented as constraints for pawns.
I'm only going on what I've read (eg in articles in Dragon and White Dwarf back in the day), and then on posts I've read on these boards that have helpe me make sense of what I was reading back then.

if there are jerks at the table, even if it's just from time-to-time, you can abandon or change rules to remove all ambiguity or interpretation, but you will still have problems.
alignment can be a useful tool, perhaps as a role playing guide.
I tend to allow character's character (ahem) develop organically, based on what seems like the right response to stimuli throughout play. So, alignment is completely descriptive... but what exactly have I gained by attempting to describe these actions? In what way does alignment become useful to me? At best, it's trying to pigeonhole complicated stimulus/response patterns into poorly fitting and somewhat arbitrary buckets. At worst, it devolves into philosophical wrangling between the player and DM about what is or is not appropriate for an alignment, or is used in an attempt to bludgeon player behavior.

I've never once had a good experience with alignment. At best, it's merely superfluous and pointless. At worst, it's an active detriment to having a good time at the table.
What Hobo says here is true for me - it's the starting point of why alignment serves no purpose for my play. The reason that alignment is an active impediment for me, as opposed to merely a waste of time, is that by pigeonholing behaviour into pre-determined moral categories questions are answered by stipulation that I don't want to answer by stipulation.

And I certainly don't need aligment as a roleplaying guide. If I, or one of my players, wants to play a paladin, or a sneaky thief, or a chaotically tainted drow, or whatever, no guide in the form of alignments is needed. Having decided what to play, we just play it - and then let the character evolve in play as Hobo describes.

This doesn't relate to playing with jerks. I play with people whose company I enjoy. It doesn't mean that we have the same moral outlook, or have the same ideas about how to develop PCs or respond to situations posed in play. Sometimes I'm shocked by the things my players have their PCs do. I can express that shock by saying as much - I don't need to do anything additional like telling them "By the way, that shows that your PC is evil".

if the answer is so obvious the Paladin would know it, then this gets pointed out to the player before he commits.
This is exactly what I mean by the player having to subordinate his/her judgement to that of the GM: this is the GM telling the player how his/her PC should act, given that the player wants his/her PC to do the right thing.

I personally don't see the attraction of that sort of play. As a GM I want the players to play their PCs, and as a player I want to play my own PC. If we are assuming that the player is playing sincerely, then why should the GM's opinion as to what is right be given priority over the player's?

When presented with a hard choice, my view is that the character does not have clear guidance on how to proceed. The fact is that had choices have no easy, right answers. Given that, I consider it inappropriate to impose negative consequences to any choice made.
And if alignment doesn't have any bite when choices are not "obvious", then for the reasons that Hobo gave it seems superfluous.

I don't think this is a good comparison
We have plenty of rules for combat with the dragon, enabling an objective determination of whether the Dragon or the PC's won. We don't argue over whether the Dragon should or should not be able to fly. We accept that Dragons can fly. We don't assert that, through sheer power of belief, a given PC should stand unharmed in the inferno of the Dragon's breath weapon - we look to the rules.

Many of the alignment arguments come back to debating the rules.
I continue to think that, for my purposes, it is an apt comparison.

Yes, we have rules for combat with the dragon. Why? And why those rules, rather than rules that I described in which the outcome is determined via metagame discussion between the game participants? Because we don't want to resolve the outcome via negoitated consensus. (Nor by GM stipulation as the alternative to consensus.) Rather, we want the players to make action declarations for their PCs, and to see how the interaction of these things leads to a result against the dragon.

For me, as far as evaluation is concerned, I similarly want the players to make action declarations for their PCs, which prompt judgements by them and by the other participants, which might then lead those others to have their characters do certain things in the game - and the overall situation, and its value, is the outcome of those choices and their intersection. I don't want it predetermined either via consensus or via GM stipulation.

In the passage I quoted above N'raac posits that the GM would frame a choice for the paladin PC, and then tell the player of that PC the best way to choose. From my point of view, the player looks pretty superfluous in that situation!

In that case, you are unhappy that his powers are not immediately struck from him due to a failing the character perceives as justifying such punishment, but the deity does not.
Huh? The context of yor post suggests that "you" is meant to refer to me, pemerton, but the view you attribute to me is not one that I ever asserted. I haven't said anything about being unhappy about powers not being struck from a paladin.

In the situation I described and to which you were responding, the player decided that his paladin had done the wrong thing and hence the PC went off to do penance in the wilderness. I rolled an encounter, which turned out to be a demon encounter. The demon started taunting the paladin for having done the wrong thing. My initial thought with the encounter was that the player would reason as follows: a demon never speaks the truth; hence the demon is lying; hence the paladin didn't do the wrong thing; hence no penance is required. But the player actually interpreted the situation this way: that the paladin had done the wrong thing; that this rendered him on a par with a demon; and that the demon was here to invest him into the ways of evil. The players response to his interpreation, therefore, was to have his PC put up no resistance as the demon proceeded to beat him to a pulp, until it got bored and wandered off. (The PCs friends then tracked him down with some sort of divination spell, and nursed him back to health.)

This is an example of play which alignment rules would not have helped, and would have impeded.

In the case of the vow of chastity, you are unhappy when failure to abide by the restrictions imposed does carry consequences.
More imputation of emotions that I never said I had!

In the case of the chaste paladin, the question I had, as a player, was "Should I marry the other PC and consumate my feelings for her?" I had to make a decision as to what my PC ought to do. Either way there of course were consequences - for the other PC (and her player), for the party as a whole, for the campaign, as well as for the outlook and values of my PC.

This is another example in which alignment rules don't add anything except getting the GM to make the choice instead of me. What's the point of that? I may as well have not turned up to the session!

To me, your issue is more around who decides what happens, yourself or the GM, and whether the concept is embedded within the rules or not.

<snip>

From your comments here, and in prior posts, it seems you want the question of whether the Paladin's actions are, or are not, honourable to be somehow decided by a die roll
You are correct that the issue is, for me, one of who decides what happens in the game, and what its value is. I hoped that I had been clear on that.

You are incorect that I want the question to be "somehow decided by a die roll". I have repeatedly said that the question does not have to be decided as part of the mechanical resolution of play. It is about provoking real evaluative judgements and motivations in the participants.

It is a weakness in a case where fighting dirty would be to the player's, or character's, advantage. If we are letting matters be decided by the dice, and our PC can gain an advantage by throwing sand in his opponent's face, or by sniping with a crossbow rather than facing him in open combat, then an advantage is foregone by not "fighting dirty", whatever we perceive that to be.
once the game starts, a paladin may find himself in a situation where it is more expedient, safe, etc. to go against those trappings depending on the in-game circumstances, and since it is still a game and one can suffer loss and even death in-game, a player could easily be tempted to ignore those thematic trappings when convenient or when their back is against the wall.

EDIT: In the model you (and I believe pemerton) propose, nothing stops this from happening and, I have to ask, why would a player not choose the most expedient or optimized route if it is available and there are no repercussions for it?
Because you could have every intention of playing the paladin correctly up until the point where you have 3 hit points left, an unscathed giant is bearing down on a mother and her child and you think... sacrificing myself in a hopeless situation isn't REALLY about commitment or duty... it's just senseless stupidity... and so you decide to hide or run as the mother and child are killed
These characterisations of "advantage", or of "temptating the player of the paladin to have his/her PC act expediently rather than honourably", seem to me to make a whole lot of assumptions about both mechanics and playstyle.

The mechanical assumptions are that the paladin player will be more mechanically effective when making attacks that are sneaky rather than honourable. That is not true across all RPGs, and not even true across all versions of D&D - for instance, it is not really true in 4e, where the paladin's powers are designed so as to mechanically support the play of an honourable warrior. (This is 4e's approximation to the sort of approach suggested by [MENTION=23240]steenan[/MENTION] upthread.)

The playstyle assumption is that the GM is not adjudicating in a "fail forward" style, and hence that, unless the PC achieves immediate victory in the confrontation, the player will have "lost" the game. Once you change that assumption, the player does not need to worry that if s/he compromises her conception of the PC's values, s/he will lose the game (eg by having his/her PC die and hence his/her participation in the campaign terminated).

I don't understand whether this is a rebuttal to the quote you posted or simply a development of an interesting point about gaming and philosophy in general (or both!).
Who says the mindset of the Paladin is that the universe is on the side of good?
This actually relates to the issue about weaknesses and advantages.

There is a moral/cosmological tradition - found in Plato, and also in a number of mainstream religions - that the good person cannot suffer. If this is true, then the paladin who succumbs to expedience is not getting an advantage at all, and to the extent that things might look that way the paladin is making an epistemic error.

How does this relate to some of the issues in this thread?

First, a paladin who is a participant in such a tradition does take the universe to be on the side of good (which doesn't mean that good will triumph without effort - see Tolkien, for instance, as an example of a world on the side of good but in which good won't triumph without effort).

Second, a game can be set up so as to make the tenets of such a tradition too - say, by letting players earn mechanical benefits for doing the right thing. This is tricky to do, though, because in the tradition the "non-suffering" tends to include views about an afterlife of some sort - but can be seen in such rules as the Oriental Adventures rule that lets a new PC get benefits from the previous PCs honour score. Also, most versions of this I know tend to rely on GM adjudication, which I don't like for the reasons I've given at length.

Third, a game can be set up so as to leave the tenets of a tradition open. This is my general preference, as articulated in this thread. A player can play his/her PC in a way that treats this as true, and adjudicated in a way (including some of the techniques I've described above) that doesn't rebut that. (Although it's confirmation of that may be only in the eye of the beholder.)

Fourth, a game can be set up so as to reveal such traditins as mistaken. Planescape does this: it establishes that the universe is indifferent to individual's moral choices, and that there is no greater likelihood that a good person will avoid suffering than an evil person. As I've said, this can work for a cynical game, or a Conan-esque game about moral self-creation, but not for romantic fantasy.

Because you could have every intention of playing the paladin correctly up until the point where you have 3 hit points left, an unscathed giant is bearing down on a mother and her child and you think... sacrificing myself in a hopeless situation isn't REALLY about commitment or duty... it's just senseless stupidity... and so you decide to hide or run as the mother and child are killed...

Another problem with the reward or carrot approach is that, if you are rewarding specific actions in specific circumstances it still doesn't carry any weight in the situations those rewards don't appear in... As an example, your paladin above wouldn't get a bonus when he tortures a tied up and helpless innocent... but nothing in your methodology causes him to be adverse to this action either (he's as good at it as anyone else so why not)... he doesn't suffer any repercussions so if it's expedient or necessary, torture of the innocent will be on the table for this paladin... even though he's supposed to be a wall for said innocents that holds back the darkness. Again this problem doesn't arise in a more general stick approach... do I want to loose my powers because I did this... probably not.

I'm going to couple these two together if you don't mind. First, I want to just mention that (i) such an oath (as outlined above) would be but one specified moral directive amongst others and (ii) there would be an overarching faith that binds the general dogma (eg punish the wicked, protect the meek, et al). Together, they would form a coherent whole. All would be expected to be observed but only the oaths (which would be specific aspects that define the dogma) would have the feedback system attached.

I primarily want to address the bolded bits. Making qualitative value judgements is, of course, an inescapable part of being human. Where this interfaces with the classical D&D alignment system and how it manifests in play is my primary issue.

Consider what you have outlined above. A Paladin ruminating upon a present conflict and considering it hopeless and, therefore, any sacrifice by himself as in vain and/or senseless (when considering the good he could potentially produce elsewhere were he not tied up with this "lost cause"). Then we have a Paladin reviewing a situation and applying cost-benefit analysis to determine what is the most expedient means (rather than what is the most idealistically rigorous or robust) to achieve his sought end. Let us say you and I are pals in real life and you are at my table. Lets say that at the edges of the general faith, and the specificity of the oaths, there are corner cases (such as the one you have outlined) that require addressing the situation from a perspective of moral idealism or utilitarianism. Suddenly, I'm in a conversation with my buddy Imaro (whom I really just want to be playing D&D with) about philosophy. We're invoking Mill and Kant and examining if a Paladin should be making qualitative value judgements from a perspective of maximizing utility and/or that moral judgements stem from the application of reason. I don't want to be doing this. Certainly not at the table and I don't really want to be doing it later. At least not as a means to the end of determining if these edge-case actions that may skirt the periphery of his oaths and overarching dogma are in-line with the sui generis Paladin code.

I don't think we would agree anyway and even if we got to the point of "agree to disagree and live with my decision as final arbiter", I don't think either of us would be happy (at least that is my experience).

One problem with the carrot approach is that they are only incentives up to the point that a PC feels that using them this one time is worth more than what he may give up if he does... as an example, in a situation where the player will loose... let's say his favorite holy avenger sword, even using his bonuses/powers/etc if he holds back an enemy... but he could retain it by acting in a different manner, say hiding or running away, he has no reason to act in the manner that the powers reward him for since he will still have them if he doesn't behave in a fitting manner (this time) and he will not have lost the holy avenger sword. On the other hand I'm not sure many if any players would loose all of their class abilities in order to retain a magic weapon (this is the stick)...

I think one of the issues that keeps coming up here is the player who is playing in Pawn Stance amongst a table consensus that expects a "fiction first", (relatively) tightly focused thematic game from Actor Stance (perhaps with a smattering of Director and Author Stance). If a player continuously makes qualitative value judgements based on "stuff I personally want or don't want to happen to me the player" that are out of line with "stuff that is thematically appropriate or inappropriate for Bob the Paladin", while the rest of the table expects (and follows themselves) the inverse, you're going to have problems no matter if you use carrots or sticks or a combination of the two. Alternatively, if you take the same player (who keeps playing in Pawn Stance despite the table consensus to not do so) and place him in a situation where his interests as a player match up with the thematics of the character build and progression mechanics (the positive feedback system), then the rest of the players at the table (GM included) won't notice the Pawn Stance play (because the two are married).

Last edited:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by N'raac
When presented with a hard choice, my view is that the character does not have clear guidance on how to proceed. The fact is that had choices have no easy, right answers. Given that, I consider it inappropriate to impose negative consequences to any choice made.

I was going to post a response to the above but I'll just lazily press the quote button and say "as below."

And if alignment doesn't have any bite when choices are not "obvious", then for the reasons that Hobo gave it seems superfluous.

Imaro

Legend
These characterisations of "advantage", or of "temptating the player of the paladin to have his/her PC act expediently rather than honourably", seem to me to make a whole lot of assumptions about both mechanics and playstyle.

I think this is unavoidable... you assuming the player will act honourably as opposed to optimally or expediently make just as many assumptions...

The mechanical assumptions are that the paladin player will be more mechanically effective when making attacks that are sneaky rather than honourable. That is not true across all RPGs, and not even true across all versions of D&D - for instance, it is not really true in 4e, where the paladin's powers are designed so as to mechanically support the play of an honourable warrior. (This is 4e's approximation to the sort of approach suggested by @steenan upthread.)

Okay, nowhere in my example is the paladin attacking in a sneaky manner... he is retreating which is an option that is neutral for all characters in all versions of D&D... You seem focused on narrowing down the situation to one where the paladin can either fight this way or fight that way... but my point is that the paladin can choose other options besides fighting... he can run, retreat, make a deal, etc. I think limiting it to fighting is a pointless restriction since we are talking about practical play here...

The playstyle assumption is that the GM is not adjudicating in a "fail forward" style, and hence that, unless the PC achieves immediate victory in the confrontation, the player will have "lost" the game. Once you change that assumption, the player does not need to worry that if s/he compromises her conception of the PC's values, s/he will lose the game (eg by having his/her PC die and hence his/her participation in the campaign terminated).

Not sure why you're choosing to only focus on the death example since I gave others (such as not wanting to suffer the loss of a favored magic weapon)... or as another example maybe the paladin's player wants to achieve a goal so much that he is willing to put his code aside to do it... Maybe regardless of his code that he won't kill, Batman (the paladin) decides to kill Joker, I mean there are no repercussions so why not??

I'm also not sure what fail forward has to do with my examples either since failing forward doesn't mean I won't suffer loss that I don't necessarily want to happen... and it doesn't auto-guarantee I won't compromise my conception in order to make sure that or numerous other things won't or will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases