Improvisation vs "code-breaking" in D&D

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
[MENTION=42582]
1. Since its publication many people have not played D&D as a game, and since the 80s en masse as a functional game. That is well known. That you wanted to tell a story and yet play a game, that you continue to confuse the two acts does not couevidence of your position. On the contrary, it is evidence of your confusion. Treating a game design as not a game is not proof it isn't a game.

Games have rules, but also goals. One of the goals of D&D is to create a mutual story through game play. The DM isn't telling a story. The players aren't telling a story. However, a story is created by the interaction between the players and the DM. That's an intended function of RPGs.

A referee in D&D moves, measures and relates portions of the current state of the hidden game to those players who are playing it. They are not players themselves as they do not have any playing pieces on the board. Like any referee they are not there to create anything, only to generate out via calculation results. Specific to D&D, these results include, but are not limited to, To Hit dice roll results, Saving Throw dice rolls, Ability Score dice rolls, and yes, map creation dice rolls.

I have tons of pieces on the board. I have monsters, NPCs, dungeons, and more. I also take part in game play through interaction with the players. I am not a pure referee. If I was, I would have no ability to interact or create.

At no point are referees to interfere with the game, as you say "improvise" by moving stuff around, removing or adding pieces as not directed to under the rules. This is paramount for every ref. The result of doing otherwise is akin to gaslighting the players and discounting the game.

DMs are not referees. They act in small part as one as one of their many jobs, but being only a referee is not the function of a DM and never has been.

In other words, not only does no GM ever need to improvise during a campaign, they are interfering with the game if they do. That Gary left many mechanical necessities of the game up to DMs to determine prior to play doesn't change this fact. After all, most of what he wrote wasn't known game rules, but suggestions for generating the hidden design to be gamed. This covers all the examples you give as neither of us know what mechanics the GM in your examples was using to determine the results.

I gave you a bunch of Gary quotes that prove you wrong about Gary's position, but you ignored those because you had no other recourse. Your choices were to ignore them, or admit you were wrong and you are unable to do the latter.

Zak S

a good GM will also challenge the players to role play their characters

A good GM will entertain the players and him or herself for a long time. Period.

If the players:
-A) aren't pushing their characters RPwise
and
-B) they would enjoy it if they did
...then the GM will push the players to do that. If both A and B aren't true, the GM doesn't have to do that and can focus on one of the other zillion things that can make a game fun.

Zak S

Actually, I see a lot of players, who I will suggest view the game much like howandwhy99, who have no intention of playing a "real person" making difficult decisions in a difficult situation. Rather, they are playing a cipher, a plastic playing pawn which attempts to adopt the most tactically advantageous approach to every situation.

This is still a "difficult situation" (even the chess king is in a difficult situation) and
tactical advantage is about survival and survival is deeply emotional.

This why tactical games can be fun: the stakes are you die and stop playing.

I'm real. You're real. All our characters are equally fake. The really angsty character is no more "real" than the smart, tactical one.

Many, perhaps most, mart tactical characters who are played as pawns acquire characteristics, ideas, tics, over time and become more fully-rounded characters as they go on.

"Real" is not the word you want here. "Complex" might be. But, hell, not even everyone real is complex.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Thank god for Gary and random tables. These tools not only organize everything, but randomly rolling on them removes huge amounts of potential, as you say, cognitive bias and you never know what you're going to get. And really, in depth accounting for physics and biology designs by a multidimensional cellular automata code are bread and butter for the game.

Do you randomly roll for every word that comes out of an NPC's mouth? Is every single possible word or response preset by you? If the answer to those is no, then you improvise.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Please post with more content if you want me to respond to you. Simply saying "No, no no, you're wrong!" isn't doing anything.

I gave you a bunch of Gary quotes that prove you wrong about Gary's position, but you ignored those because you had no other recourse. Your choices were to ignore them, or admit you were wrong and you are unable to do the latter.
Think of it. You have a social phenomenon. The most popular game in the world as of the early 80s. And there's an academic and cultural revolution going on, postmodernism, which just happens to be about eradicating any kind of thinking that pertains to treating life like a game. And guess what your game is really similar too? Yeah, they put him through the wringer. They even got him to claim skill games were RPGs. None of those quotes are relevant to D&D. Sorry.

Do you randomly roll for every word that comes out of an NPC's mouth? Is every single possible word or response preset by you? If the answer to those is no, then you improvise.
I clarify until the players understand the design behind the screen each of them are privy too. I can do this all day long if necessary, it still isn't me playing the game. Actually, that isn't either one of us playing the game. They play the game by telling me where to move the pieces. I move them on their behalf because I have access to the whole board. I impartially relate the results of the game design they are allowed to know given the new position

--This is why [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] is still obviously confused by what I'm telling him. There is no "fictional positioning" in a game. Games have actual locations that must exist for a game to be played. I don't have any of the problems he suggested because the results aren't up to me.

pemerton

Legend
all games are pattern designs. This isn't under debate.
Yes it is.

When I ask my 6 year old daughter, "What are you doing" and she replies "Playing a game", what she almost always means by "playing a game" is that she is pretending to be doing something imaginary. For instance, she might be piling wood chips onto a park bench, pretending that she is making cakes for sale in her cake shop; or pretending that she is a pet-store owner and that her older sister is her English-speaking pet cat.

This sort of play, which is I think pretty common for human children - it is part of how they learn to make sense of the world, and is one form of roleplaying within the literal meaning of that term. And it has basically nothing in common with tic tac toe. It certainly doesn't involve "code-breaking".

to play a pattern as a game is to actually attempt to achieve objectives within it. In the case of D&D this is done by proxy.
What is the proxy? And what is it a proxy for?

improvising a story cannot occur during the playing of a game because improvised storytelling is an act of invention, while game playing is the act of discovery through interaction.

<snip>

"Shared fiction" never occurs in any game.
Improvising a story can happen during the playing of some games. For instance, when my daughter is playing at making cakes and offering them for sale in her cake shop she might improvise a story - for instance, by asking me what sort of cake I would like to buy, then going through the process of "making" it (ie gathering up wood chips) and then delivering the "cake" to me (ie by bringing me a handful of wood chips roughly shaped into a circular pile and then requiring me to "eat" the cake, which involves holding the woodchips near to my mouth, saying "yum yum yum" and then dropping the wood chips back onto the ground).

That's a story only in a pretty degenerate sense - there is no real rising action, and the conclusion is foregone - but it is a structured sequence of events which are improvised during the playing of the game. And it involves a shared fiction - my daughter and I jointly imagine that she is a baker, that she is bringing me a cake, and that I eat it. Those events are not real - hence fictional. And the imagining of them is joint - hence shared.

That you wanted to tell a story and yet play a game, that you continue to confuse the two acts does not couevidence of your position. On the contrary, it is evidence of your confusion.
I would retort that it is evidence of your desire to use the word "game" with a narrowness that is not borne out by its actual meaning.

My daughter, who describes her improvisational role playing and storytelling as a game, isn't abusing the English language.

But in fact I didn't want to tell a story. I wanted to create a story by way of RPGing. In the context of RPGing, those are importantly different things. The difference can be illustrated by pointing to the well-known pitfall in children's games - there is no device for adjudicating between competing desires as to "what happens next". That is because children's games lack any way of differentiating creating from telling. Whereas in the sort of RPG that I enjoy this is achieved by allocating different functions to different participants - GMs who frame scenes, players who introduce character motivations, desires and attempted actions; by using mechanical systems (mostly dice) to select between competing desires as to "what happens next"; and by using a combination of rules and conventions to maintain the integrity of the resulting shared fiction which then constrains both downstream scene-framing and downstream action declarations.

You may not enjoy that sort of RPGing, but it is not confused. And it is very obviously intimately related to the sort of RPGing that Gygax invented. It uses many of the same devices that D&D pioneered - a differentiation between player and referee roles; dice for action resolution; continuity of the shared fiction - while adding in some innovations of its own.

all games must have an actual existing pattern in place prior to play. This is the game people will be playing. This need becomes obvious when we remember a game cannot be played without rules in use throughout, the mental pattern accompanying that of the field of play.
This is not actually true except as some sort of ideal.

Do you play Monopoly? Because I have a 9 year old as well as a 6 year old daughter, I do. Modern Monopoly sets ship with a "speed die" which is rolled together with the traditional two dice. The "speed die" can mandate that an additional move be taken at the end of the turn, but the rules for using the speed die don't explain how this is to be reconciled with the rule that rolling doubles grants another turn. I hadn't noticed this until it actually came up in play, so we (or I, as the adult participant who noticed the issue) improvised a house rule - the special "speed die" move is implemented at the end of rolling again for the doubles.

Nor do the speed die rules say what happens to the special moves if you go to jail on your turn. Again, I improvised a house rule: because going to jail negates other downstream elements of a turn, I decided that it negates the downstream requirements of the speed die result. (This means that it can often be a good thing to go to jail, because paying $50 to get out of jail is a better result than having to resolve the special "speed die" move.)

I am not a wargamer, but many of those I have RPGed with have been pretty serious wargamers. For several years back in the early-to-mid-90s they use to play Empires and Arms every week. In one of their Empires and Arms games a question arose around how to adjudicate some particular element of Poland's neutral status - the rules weren't clear. They decided on an ad hoc solution for the moment and to otherwise put the issue to one side. The Empire and Arms group then broke up a few months later when the development of the game had led one of the players (maybe playing Austria? memory fades) to make a move that exploited this "gentlemen's agreement" around Poland, leading to acrimony and recriminations and fallings out.

The point is that the game was able to proceed with a less-than-complete ruleset, patched over by improvisation and ad hoc rulings. The fact that the game broke down over this some months later doesn't mean that a game wasn't being successfully played in the intervening period.

A referee in D&D moves, measures and relates portions of the current state of the hidden game to those players who are playing it. They are not players themselves as they do not have any playing pieces on the board. Like any referee they are not there to create anything, only to generate out via calculation results. Specific to D&D, these results include, but are not limited to, To Hit dice roll results, Saving Throw dice rolls, Ability Score dice rolls, and yes, map creation dice rolls.

<snip>

not only does no GM ever need to improvise during a campaign, they are interfering with the game if they do
To me, this is asserting some sort of ideal as if it were actual.

For instance, in AD&D, what damage does a PC take from falling 100' into water? What difference does it make if the PC deliberately dives, or rather is pushed over a cliff by an enemy? Does the DEX of the PC make a difference (eg does it permit a more elegant dive)? Gygax's published books don't answer this question, but I can guarantee it has come up at literally thousands of tables playing D&D.

Another example: in any version of classic D&D, how long does it take to hack through a standard dungeon door using a battle axe? And what difference does this activity make to the chances of wandering monsters during that time? No answer to these questions is found in any of the books either, but once again literally thousands, perhaps 10s or even 100s of thousands of GMs, have had to answer these questions over the lifetime of D&D play.

I can tell you how they have, in fact, come up with answers. They have made decisions that extrapolate, as best they are able, from some combination of the existing rules (for falling; for damaging objects with siege weapons; etc) and their own understanding of the causal processes involved (the furthest I personally have ever jumped into a pool of water is about 50' or 60'; I've never cut down a door with an axe, but have split wood for a fireplace; so those are the experiences I would draw upon).

I don't know what label you use to describe that process of rules invention. Most posters on these boards call it improvisation. Various D&D texts have talked about adjudicating things or actions that the rules don't cover.

At no point are referees to interfere with the game, as you say "improvise" by moving stuff around, removing or adding pieces as not directed to under the rules.
But this is not the sort of improvisation that [MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION], or I, or Roger Musson, is talking about. (Except for the bit about adding rewards - which, as I noted and as [MENTION=27160]Balesir[/MENTION] has further discussed, he regards as problematic or at least irregular in some fashion.)

Celebrim has been emphasising the need to make up rules, similar to my previous paragraph. Roger Musson is interested in giving practical advice to GMs for when the players get to the edge of the map or get to parts of the map for which the referee has not yet written up any descriptions. That is what his Emergency Room Register is for.

Musson clearly regards the ideal as one in which the GM has fully prepared the map and key. But he recognises that human time, energy and ingenuity is finite, and is offering advice for what to do when those limitations mean that not everything has been written up.

NPCs and their behaviors as contained within their statistical design just like every other game component. They can be gamed through code breaking --the act of mastering a game-- and manipulating the game design. These statistics are largely in AD&D books, but mechanics like reaction rolls, alignment charts, racial relations, morale, loyalty, and plenty of other bits and pieces throughout the early published games do exist. But they are limited as to what the cover, I agree. You desire more depth of pattern complexity within the game subsystem these rules cover. That's admirable, so do I. But this does not mean NPCs aren't pieces of games. It simply means not much in the way of mechanical suggestions were published.

<snip>

So, all your examples about NPCs refer to game components not improvisation. Or with S2 to the generated game board. All these things must be on the GMs map behind the screen and tracked by them just like any referee running any other game.
Again, you state an ideal as if it were actual.

In the real world, GMs don't think of everything. How many 10s of thousands of tables have played through White Plume Mountain? How many solutions have been invented to deal with the ziggurat room, with the frictionless corridor, with the platforms hanging over hot mud?

It is literally impossible for a GM to anticipate and preplan for all those solutions, which know no limits except those of human ingenuity.

Likewise for NPCs. I stated an example of NPC reactions from Moldvay Basic. What is the bonus for a friendly greeting in a hobgoblin's language? What does "hostile" mean? When do hostile NPCs attack? These things are not detailed for most NPCs in the game. In Moldvay's example, the GM could have decided that the "hostile" hobgoblins surround the PCs and call upon them to surrender while sending for reinforcements. Nothing in the game mechanics indicates that that would have been the wrong decision; hence nothing indicates that the actual course of events was the right decision.

What happens if Silverleaf, to try and pacify the hobgoblins, offers to marry the hobgoblin leader's oldest daughter? Does that increase or decrease the likelihood of attack? How important is marriage to hobgoblins? What are their dowry practices? None of that is answered by the game rules. A GM would have to make it up, doing his/her best to extrapolate from what is written (eg in AD&D hobgoblins are said to hate elves, but I don't recall anything similar in Moldvay Basic).

"Make a plot for the players to follow" when refereeing a cooperative strategy game. That's a horrible idea.
I don't know what exactly you have in mind by making a plot for the players to follow, but given that neither I nor Roger Musson advocate anything that would fall under that description, I'm not too worried about it.

Musson does advocate putting interesting and interrelated things into the dungeon. And connected to this, he encourages having a dungeon backstory which the PCs (and hence the players) might discover, and hence take advantage of. For instance, if the players learn that the dungeon was designed by a college of magic whose leading figures subsequently had a falling out, they might try to find an NPC belonging to one of the factions who will then help them deal with the NPCs of the opposing faction.

I personally find RPGing more fun when the imagined situations into which I frame the PCs (and thereby the players) relates to the dramatic needs that they have established for their PCs. For instance, when I started my Burning Wheel game, one of the PCs had as a Belief that he needed to find magical antecedents that he could use to help enchant artefacts to tame his demon-possessed brother. Thus, the opening scene that I described had the PC in a bazaar in Hardby, where a peddler was claiming to have various magical and esoteric trinkets for sale, including an angel feather from the Bright Desert.

None of these techniques is about "making a plot for the players to follow".

Since its publication many people have not played D&D as a game

<snip>

As to Mr. Musson's bad advice, see my response to 1. Evidence of someone not running D&D as a game is not evidence D&D isn't one. And I'd assume Mr. Musson would be happy with not randomly rolling monsters to populate his dungeon and wandering monster tables too thereby removing the game of players seeking out monsters, avoiding them, etc. as well as playing the dungeon as a maze.

<snip>

I see Mr. Musson is clearly misguided about D&D.
I assume you have a copy of the (original) Fiend Folio. Have a look in the index - you'll see Roger Musson's name next to quite a few of those monsters.

The idea that he was misguided about D&D is absurd. He was clearly a major figure in the early years of British D&D play, up there with others like Donald Turnbull and Lewis Pulsipher.

In your somewhat snide remarks about what you would assume, you run together two things that Musson, quite reasonably, distinguishes: procedures for content generation, and procedures of play.

Musson, in the series of articles that I referenced, has a very interesting discussion of how to populate a dungeon, and the balance between random generation and GM choice. He talks about his own experience using a variety of methods (including an early computer program for content generation that he wrote himself and that was in use by other British D&D players also). He recommends a mixture of random and non-random generation of content, in many ways similar to Tom Moldvay in the Basic Rules (the GM places denizens who are integral to the dungeon backstory, and then randomly generates the rest). One important idea suggested by Musson and not found in Moldvay is to randomly generate a list of monsters, and a list of treasures, and then to deliberately place them so that the GM can achieve a deliberate rather than randomly determined balance between risk and reward.

On the issue of "dungeon as maze", Musson has a very sophisticated discussion of dungeon design techniques - both dungeon geometry and various tricks - that can increase the likelihood of PCs (and thereby players) getting lost. It is far superior to anything on the topic found in any book I have read published by TSR or WotC.

These techniques of dungeon geography and content generation are mostly quite separate from the question of basic play procedure. Musson regards dungeon exploration as the core of D&D play, and has a brief discussion of the technique of scouting expedition (in which the PCs prepare mostly defensive and informational spells) followed by an assault/looting expedition - but this does not add anything of significance to Gygax's discussion in the closing pages of his PHB.

Nothing about this sort of play procedure requires that the GM randomly generate the dungeon contents. It's clear, for instance, that Gygax didn't randomly generate all his dungeon contents. The famous Fraz Urb'luu room and imprisoned gods room in Castle Greyhawk are enough to make that clear - those rooms weren't the results of rolling randomly on tables. He came up with them because he thought they would be fun for the players.

This is why Musson doesn't favour strictly random content generation - he thinks that it reduces the likelihood of the dungeon being interesting to explore, and hence undermines the pleasure in playing the game.

That many people have not played D&D as a game may be true, for some very restricted meaning of game. But Roger Musson is manifestly not one of those people.

story and game cultures are two separate sets of ideas affixed to actualities by people currently understanding them as such. In neither case are these objects (game boards, pieces, mental processes, etc.) actually "truly" a game or story.

<snip>

let's drop The Forge "narrative theory is dogma" schtick.

<snip>

There is no such thing as actual fiction or nonfiction except as one culture's ideas of how they understand their world. In stark contrast, games require actual designs which must exist throughout the playing of a game.

<snip>

gaming and roleplaying are practically the opposite act of storytelling. Just read any history book (that hasn't been whitewashed by critical theorists practicing a highly suppressive variety of narrative absolutism).
I don't understand any of these statements, but as far as I can tell they don't bear upon anything that I am saying.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=3192]howandwhy99[/MENTION], you do realise that Ron Edwards is not remotely a postmodernist, and that his approach to story and (what he calls) premise is thoroughly modernist.

If one wanted to apply a postmodernist critique to Edwards, one would begin by pointing out that he classified The Dying Earth RPG as a system that facilitates narrativism, although it does not involve addressing a premise in his sense of that notion.

Because I'm not a postmodernist, I'll leave that deconstructive task to someone else. I prefer to slightly reconstruct the notion of narrativism so that it fits the examples that Edwards puts forward (including The Dying Earth). In my experience it's often the case in social theorising that formal definitions are put forward that don't actually capture the interesting phenomena the theorist is pointing to. (Eg Durkheim falls foul of this in his definition of "social rules" in The Rules of Sociological Method. If it can happen to a genius like Durkheim, I can easily forgive it in Edwards.)

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Zak S,

You make some compelling points. I fell into some of the same unfortunate rhetorical traps that the guys who created the sort of games I tend to like made back in the day. At the end of the day we're looking at games that are trying to be about different things than D&D is about, but are still fundamentally role playing games. Using words like Story Now, Narrativism, etc. was entirely counterproductive to communicating what we are all trying to do - play games with different goals.

Well you're just trying to persist a falsehood. Remember, White Wolf declared their product to not be about gaming, but a game about storytelling. It split the hobby through the 90s and since then that crew of storytellers have not only attempted to rewrite history and the other side out of existence, but they are attempting to write games out of existence too. Heck, gaming and roleplaying are practically the opposite act of storytelling. Just read any history book (that hasn't been whitewashed by critical theorists practicing a highly suppressive variety of narrative absolutism).

I think you couldn't be more wrong about this thing we are doing. We use unfortunate rhetoric at times, but this thing we are doing is absolutely about playing games. Players are after different things and GMs/refs/whatever utilize different techniques, but we are absolutely interested in playing games as games.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we are not who you think we are. I view Vampire - The Masquerade* at best as a dysfunctional game. The GM priorities are completely askew and lead to an experience for players where there is no real ground to make decisions and strive for the things their character should want in a way that actually shapes outcomes. I wanted to like Vampire. I totally wanted to play a game about trying to not become a monster. That's not what Vampire is. I'm not really sure if it is or isn't a game. I simply know the play techniques (used as directed) left me feeling like I had no impact on play.

This thing I like to do is so fundamentally different from that thing people who play Vampire as directed do I have trouble seeing how anyone can associate the two. I have visceral and violent reaction every time I see anything like The Golden Rule, calls for keeping players in the dark so you can pull off a big reveal, fudging, etc. It's far too pervasive in our hobby for my tastes.

I guess this is me taking far too many words to say I like games, and am not really that interested in story or narrative. I just prefer games that utilize slightly different play techniques.

pemerton

Legend
This is baffling:

You like mechanics that blur out fictional positioning advantages to a die advantage because why? Otherwise the player and GM might have to agree on the physics of the game? Otherwise the player might have to trust the GM they agreed to spend hours of their life playing with?
I think your bafflement is at least partly the result of not having read everything that I wrote. In the following self-quote, I've bolded the bit that you seem to have missed:

I think an interesting and hugely important feature of the Vincent Baker-influenced games that [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] has mentioned (I don't play much "powered by the Apocalypse", but am currently running a Burning Wheel campaign) is that they have found a way to try and regiment the adjudication of fictional positioning: namely, it is factored into the framing of action resolution, as an input into a relatively structured and abstract system of action resolution (eg in BW, it forms part of the negotiation around obstacles and advantage dice as well as intent-and-task), and then the actual outcome is determined purely by rolling the dice to chooses between the player's preferred outcome and the GM's alternative narration of failure.

<snip>

This is why I regard the invention of abstract scene-focused resolution - which uses fictional positioning only to shape the details of the dice pool and the consequences that the dice choose between - as such a breakthrough in RPG design. It's very hard for me to envisage going back from that.
One reason I like it is because it allows the fiction to be incorporated into resolution without having to decide what the % chance is of a 10' pole catching fire from arcing electricity, or any of the other billion extrapolations that I'm not capable of performing with any genuine competence or neutrality.

Another reason I like it is because it makes the adjudication of fantastic stuff - where the physics of the game may be utterly opaque - easier to adjudicate. This isn't such an issue in Burning Wheel, which is pretty gritty, but is a big deal in something like 4e or Marvel Heroic RP. In MHRP, for instance, War Machine and Titanium Man were able to have an aerial battle that took them from Washington, DC to Florida without me having to pull out a map or worry about air speeds or prevailing winds.

In 4e, it made it possible to determine whether or not a high level chaos sorcerer was able to use his magic to seal off the Abyss. And an example that is not really about fantastic stuff, but is about NPC reactions and motivations where the "physics" may also be very opaque: it allowed determining whether a sorcerer surreptitiously knocking over servants bringing in jellies for dessert, as a demonstration of how one might go about fighting a gelatinous cube, contributed to or worked against the PCs' overall goals in a social interaction.

TL;DR: the phrase blurring out is not one that I accept. I used the word regimenting deliberately.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
[MENTION=3192]howandwhy99[/MENTION], you do realise that Ron Edwards is not remotely a postmodernist, and that his approach to story and (what he calls) premise is thoroughly modernist.

If one wanted to apply a postmodernist critique to Edwards, one would begin by pointing out that he classified The Dying Earth RPG as a system that facilitates narrativism, although it does not involve addressing a premise in his sense of that notion.

Because I'm not a postmodernist, I'll leave that deconstructive task to someone else. I prefer to slightly reconstruct the notion of narrativism so that it fits the examples that Edwards puts forward (including The Dying Earth). In my experience it's often the case in social theorising that formal definitions are put forward that don't actually capture the interesting phenomena the theorist is pointing to. (Eg Durkheim falls foul of this in his definition of "social rules" in The Rules of Sociological Method. If it can happen to a genius like Durkheim, I can easily forgive it in Edwards.)

I think we need to stop talking about the way Edwards, and others were talking and thinking about games 10+ years ago unless we are talking about the games they were making back then. Even then we have to be careful, because the initial set of essays were formative. They provided grounds for discussion that resulted in games that don't correlate directly to the initial theory. I'm part of the Indie+ community on Google+, have watched John Harper's design talk Hangouts, and have read some of Vincent Baker's recent theory posts. There is very little mention of story or narrative. It's all focused on we want a game where players do x - how do we get there?

Here's a relatively recent (about a year ago) post from Vincent Baker's blog that I feel better represents the contemporary indie community:
Vincent Baker said:
Hey, some RPG theory, how about? While we're waiting for me to actually make something.

A game has procedures. Procedures are things like "on your turn, choose a legal card from your hand and play it," "when your character gets into a fight, roll 2d6 and add your Combat Value," and "to make your meeple on the screen jump, push the A button."

A game has components. Components are things like a deck of cards and scratch paper to keep score, a conversation and character sheets and dice, and a controller plus a meeple in a level full of stuff on a screen.

A game has an object, or more than one, or none. Objects are things like "at the end of any hand, if anybody's reached 100 points or more, the game ends, and the player with the lowest score wins," "make the imaginary world vivid, make the characters' lives exciting, and play to find out what happens," and "run your meeple all the way to the end of the level without dying."

Together, these three things are a complete game. When you're making a game, you create its procedures, its components, and its object-or-objects-or-none. Then you publish.

But a game also has strategy and style. Strategy and style are implicit in the relationship between the other three, emerge from the other three, or lay over the other three without changing them.

On your turn, which of your legal cards do you choose to play?

When the GM turns to you and asks you what your character does, what do you choose to say?

At every moment of play, do you choose to push the A button now? Or what?

Take my game Murderous Ghosts. Murderous Ghosts has:
- Procedures. Two little books full of almost nothing but procedures, in fact.
- Components. The two books, the deck of cards, the conversation between the players.
- An object. If the explorer escapes unmurdered, the explorer player wins.

The strategy of Murderous Ghosts is really fun. It is, at heart, a gambling game, and a string of bad luck might always see you murdered. But if you play well, you can time your draws so that you make your riskiest draws when the stakes are lowest and your safest draws when the stakes are high. Meanwhile, the ghost player is trying to mislead you about which draws are low-stakes and high-stakes, to make you misstep. But the game text doesn't include any mention of this, it leaves you to learn your own way forward.

And then tucked into the back of the ghost player's book, there are two short essays: "What Ghosts Do" and "What Ghosts Are." These are pure style. Their purpose is to inspire the ghost player to say scary and ever-scarier things. In fact, while they include some assertions and an instruction or two, they're both over 50% made of pointed questions: "Is this ghost reenacting the horrors that it inflicted on others in life, or will it inflict on others the horrors that it suffered?"

You could play the game, see its procedures fully through, win and lose, and even enact strategies to try to win more and lose less, without ever reading these two essays.

Everybody with me? Procedures, components, object-or-objects-or-none, strategy, and style?

Remove ads