• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metamagic Feats to de-power spells.

Felix

Explorer
So there I was, thinking that you couldn't Maxamize and Empower a Disintegrate until epic levels and you had a 10th level slot. But I thought, if there are metagamics that make spells more powerful and raise the spell level, why can't there be feats to de-power spells and make them available in lower-level slots. Granted, a lot of Metamagic Feats won't have their antipodes like these do (Silent and Still Spell for example), but enough will to warrant them. For example:

• Minimize Spell Metamagic:
    All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are minimized. A minimized spell deals minimum damage, cures minimum hit points, affects the minimum number of targets, etc. For example, a [Minimized] Disintegrate will deal 2/level damage after a failed fort save, remove the target, leave his stuff, and be equivalent to a 3rd level spell. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A minimized spell uses a spell slot three levels lower than the spell's actual level.

• Depower Spell Metamagic:
    A [Minimized] spell will deal 50% less of all variable damage than normal and use a slot two levels lower, minimum 0-level. A [Depowered] Melf's Acid Arrow will deal 2d4 - 2d4/2 acid damge each round (minimum 1) and use a 0-level spell slot.

• Contract Spell Metamagic:
    The range of a [Contracted] spell is reduced by 50%, and uses a spell slot one level lower than normal. A long range spell (400ft+40ft/level) would become (200ft+20ft/level).

• Reduce Spell Metamagic:
    The area of effect of any burst, emanation, line, or spread-shaped spell is reduced by 50%. For example, a [Reduced] fireball spell will deal 1d6/level damage in a 10-ft radius burst. A [Reduced] Spell uses a slot three levels lower than the spell's actual level.

• Breif Spell Metamagic:
    The Duration of a [Brief] spell is reduced by 50%. A spell with a duration of concentration, instantaneous, or permanent is not affected by this feat. A Breif spell uses up a spell slot one level lower than the spell's actual level.

Why would a caster want to use any of these? Well, with these feats a caster can customize their highest level spells.

Only facing one enemy? Then the wide burst of a Fireball is a waste of arcane power. Reduce it, and leave your 3rd level spell slot open for something more important.

Want to zap your way through a wall? The variable damage done in a Disintegrate is irrelevant when you're trying to destroy objects, or when you're taking down a Prismatic Wall. So Minimize it, and save three spell levels.

Need a spell NOW but you don't want to use your highest level slot? Make that Magic Circle against Evil a breif spell, reap the quick reward of the spell now, and save a spell level for later.

Of course, you can also apply normal metamagic feats to these spells. So you could cast a [Breif, Silent, Still] Charm Person as a 2nd level spell, and have just enough time to slip by the guard without wasting the unnecessary duration.

-----

So... what do you think of the Anit-Metamagic Feats?

DanMcS

Explorer
  • Depower Spell Metamagic:
    A [Minimized] spell will deal 50% less of all variable damage than normal and use a slot two levels lower, minimum 0-level. A [Depowered] Melf's Acid Arrow will deal 2d4 - 2d4/2 acid damge each round (minimum 1) and use a 0-level spell slot.

It would be easier to just say it does 50% damage, ie for acid arrow you roll 2d4 and divide by 2, rather than 2d4- 2d4/2.

Reduce Spell Metamagic:
The area of effect of any burst, emanation, line, or spread-shaped spell is reduced by 50%. For example, a [Reduced] fireball spell will deal 1d6/level damage in a 10-ft radius burst. A [Reduced] Spell uses a slot three levels lower than the spell's actual level.

Should be 1 level lower.

In general, I like the idea, and I've done it myself in the past. There are so many metamagic and other feats that a caster could be taking that they would rarely take this kind of thing, though. Which is a general problem with creating new feats, not specific to these.

JimAde

First Post
I have my doubts about these. Fireball is a good example. The range on that puppy is 500+ ft. But most people get into situations where they are just trying not to fry their own party members with it.

So I cast it as contracted, reduced fireball and it's a cantrip that still does at least 5 dice of damage in a 10 foot radius at 200 ft range. That's arguably MORE useful than the standard fireball.

Brain

First Post
I don't like the idea of these being used by players, but I like the idea of these as effects. Perhaps tied in somehow to a wild magic area or caster or item or whatever.

Felix

Explorer
DanMcS said:
There are so many metamagic and other feats that a caster could be taking that they would rarely take this kind of thing, though. Which is a general problem with creating new feats, not specific to these.
Yep. And they're most useful for Sorc who can apply them on the fly; but then, Sorcs have a huge dearth of feats that they must be spent wisely. Still, with two of these Antipodal Metamagic and two normal Metamagic feats, the Sorcs spell list will suddenly turn into something terrifyingly flexible.

Rystil Arden said:
You can Maximise and Empower Disintegrate if you have the right metamagic rods or have Sudden X feats.
You've missed the point; that just got me thinking about metamagic that de-powered spells. I know that with Sudden Empower and a Rod of Maximize you can do that to a Disintegrate.

JimAde said:
That's arguably MORE useful than the standard fireball.
About 2 feats more useful? But yeah, DanMcS was right that Reduce should not lower the spell 3 levels. Perhaps 1, maybe two. And he was of the opinion that there are so many other feats out there that these might not be chosen because they're less useful.

Besides, let's say a Sorc uses his entire spells per day to cast [Reduced, Contracted] Fireballs. Congrats, he's a modified Warmage. Let the player have his fun for a few battles, and then have the enemies learn. Smart enemies won't attack this guy head on. So there won't be the big melees; this sorc has worked his stuff out to dominate in that arena, but don't PCs do that anyway?

If you like, add a rule that the equivalent spell level must be at least the spell's original level. This makes [Heighten Spell] very useful. You reduce the spell in some way to be able to afford a level of Heightening. So a [Minimized, Heightened +3] Disintegrate will deal minimum damage, but the Fort DC to save will be 3 higher. And the caster still has to use a 6th level slot to cast it.

Brain said:
but I like the idea of these as effects.
Yeah, I can definitely see that too.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I think you've reached a good idea by limiting the end result to the original spell level or higher. Actually, I think Depower and Minimise spell are balanced for what they do and the opportunity cost of selecting the feat. I'd be much more worried about the others because, let's face it, the players often don't need the full duration/range/area of their spells in any particular situation. If I told my players that I had decided to halve the range on fireball for everyone, even my most fireball-happy players wouldn't really care. If I halved the radius, in many cases, they'd be thanking me for making it easier to avoid hitting their allies. So even if those last three feats all reduced the level by 1, you would still see people running around casting what are essentially full fireballs from their 1st-level spell slots if you don't put on the cap you suggested.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Kind of reminds me of the scalable spells in Arcana Unearthed. I like those a lot; they really increase the bang you get for your buck. One spell covers three spell levels (usually).

I'm not sure how well these feats would work in play. They could potentially cause problems -- or they might not. It'd take a fair amount of testing to be sure.

Felix

Explorer
That's kinda freaky. Even has the words "cannot be reduced below spell's original level" and "gives casters added flexibility".

And I thought I was original. Bloody limey.

:)

Remove ads