• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Middle Man

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So I watched The Middle Man last night on ABC Family because our very own Spyscribe works on that show and I saw some ads for it in comic books.

I've never watched ABC Family before and figured it was the kind of place for schmaltzy live-action Disney movies and Saved By The Bell re-runs, so I was not sure what to expect from this show, but I really liked it!

The dialogue was really good (kind of Whedonesque) and I like how they dispensed with exposition or taking itself too seriously. "You know how in comic books there are mad scientists, evil cultists and crazy robots trying to take over the world? Well, it is really like that. . ."

I am paraphrasing - but it is essentially all the explanation we get, and it works. It assumes the audience knows the tropes it is playing with and takes it from there.

It's a cute show that I think once it hits its stride has a chance to be really good.

Anyone else watch?

Pyrex

First Post
I watched it. Got an interesting feel, as long as they don't overdo it anyhow.

I'm looking forward to the next ep. :)

Richards

Legend
I watched it, and I'd rate this first episode as just "okay." I really like Dub-Dub, though, and I'm holding out hope that this turns into something really good. I'm willing to give it a couple more episodes and hope for an increase in quality.

Johnathan

Felon

First Post
Just watched it over at Netflix, where it's available under the "Watch It Now" category.

It has potential, but neither of the leads are really good actors. Trying to think of who the actress reminds me of...Amanda Peet maybe. Nice-looking, and plays Xbox, and reads comics...guess the creator knows his audience. She mumbles her way through a lot of her lines.

The banter's a little too self-consciously smarmy, and you can't have a show with two glib straight-men. But hell, it's way better than the first episode of The Tick, which had a similarly mock-heroic style of humor, and quickly improved.

Arkhandus

First Post
I watched it, and loved it. :D I attribute that to Spyscribe working on it, the author of the awesome Welcome to the Halmae storyhour 'round here. :cool:

Sure, it's hard to follow the dialogue a little bit at some points, but that's why I watched the re-run that followed.

RichCsigs

First Post
I can't remember it totally, but the roommate's name totally cracked me up. She says it when she introduces herself to The Middleman when the ape is attacking at the apartment. It was something like Lacey Thronbush.

Remove ads