• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KotS Prophetic Poem

Zinovia

Explorer
Sure, it's just a bunch of rhymed couplets, but this is prophecy we're talking about. Isn't it typically delivered in rhymed couplets?

Contains KotS spoilers - don't read this if you're a player who's likely to play through the module sometime.

[sblock]I wanted to beef up the backstory for KotS by tying together some of the elements better, as well as adding some poetry as either a hook early on to motivate the characters, or as information obtained later to help clarify what is going on. Here's the poem, followed by some explanation of the changes I've made to the backstory. I'm not sure yet where to include the poem, or if it's giving too much away.

In shadowed keep of tumbled stone,
A peril hides, for years unknown,
Sir Keegan Kinslayer guards it yet,
'Gainst the very child he did beget.

The thing of evil sent dark dreams,
Nightmares wrought of tortured screams,
The vowed defender's sword did rend,
Murder to fate's hand forfend.

Awakened to the awful truth,
Shattered bones of men and youth,
His wife and children, pride and joy,
Seen as demons, he destroyed.

Sir Keegan met his death alone,
For wicked deeds he would atone,
So awaits he for the fated time,
Forgiveness grant for hated crime.

Sole survivor of that cursed line,
Now wakens the unholy shrine,
Dark power craves as men do thirst,
Confining spells to be reversed.

Trembling on the edge of doom,
Unholy rites 'neath Keegan's tomb,
Prevent the opening of the gate,
Or embrace a dark and bitter fate.

I decided (as others have done) to make Kalarel the son of Sir Keegan, who was the last guardian of the Keep before he went crazy and murdered everyone. Kalarel is a half elf, which would explain why he's still alive all these years later. Kalarel is not entirely sane, given that he still remembers his father murdering his mother and siblings, and leaving him for dead as well. Kalarel was rescued by the guards who fought Keegan back into the keep, and raised by friends of the family far from the keep.

Sir Keegan was beset by dreams and whispers from the dark powers of Orcus and the Shadowfell. What drove him over the edge was the true prophecy that his own child would be the one to try and open the rift. It was too much, and he snapped, killing everyone but Kalarel, who survived - or alternately was the only one that could be resurrected since he had an unfinished destiny and the others of his family did not. Keegan finally realized just what he'd done under the influence of Orcus, and killed himself. He was discovered by the remaining guards, along with a note saying that no man could withstand the insidious whispers of the evil from the dark portal, and that they should abandon the keep. He was entombed, and the truth of what exactly lay beneath the keep was hushed up as much as possible. Rumors abounded, but few knew what actually occurred. He is not normally called "Kinslayer" but the prophecy knows all.

So Kalarel is now twisted by a desire for power, and believes that the lord of the undead can bring his family back to him somehow. He has spent his lifetime searching for information about the keep, and so found the secret of the gate to the Shadowfell. Further research finally revealed to him the means to unlock the gate.

The rest should proceed more or less as written (although I'll be changing some other bits of Winterhaven and the Kobold lair around).

So should I introduce the poem somewhere? Early on as a hook from a priest who had a prophetic dream? Or perhaps later somehow as more is discovered about the situation? One of the players could dream it as well, although the group lacks a cleric. I don't want the characters to head straight for the Keep without considering the other things going on around Winterhaven, but they should get there eventually. I also wanted to include a hint with the poem that they need to try and disrupt the ritual in the final battle. [/sblock]

GorTeX

First Post
Prophesies should be a little more vague. Don't give the Kinslayer a proper name.

other than that, It looks good--I may steal this for my Game..probably have a 'bard' reciting the poem in the Inn in Winterhaven or have the guy in the Tower have it in his books somewhere.

Titus_Manlius

First Post
I love it! Very well written. The only way I would change it would be to cut out the Names and the two ending paragraphs that foretell the current action being taken around the keep. I would just let it be some sort of children horror poem that every one around the village knows but no one knows what it portends to. Something like "Ring around the Posies" A happy little tune that describes something dark and miserable. This would add a unsettling creepiness to the whole town and situation.
Also, nice touch on making Kal...Kel.... whatever that guys name is Sir Keegans son. That is an incredibly nice touch that adds perfect motivation behind his actions. A++++ for that connection.
NICE WORK!

Zinovia

Explorer
A less specific more story-like variant

Here's an altered variant with less specific info. This could be a song common to the local area, but of unknown origin. I even tacked a warning verse onto the end, as many horror stories have something of the sort. Cautionary tales and all that.

A peril hides, for years unknown,
The Kinslayer's spirit guards it yet,
'Gainst the very child he did beget.

The vowed defender's sword did rend,

The Kinslayer met his death alone,
So awaits he for the fated time,
Forgiveness grant for hated crime.

Visions echo through the halls,
Ghostly blood runs 'long the walls,
None can face those cursed remains
Fear like water in their veins.

If seek ye treasure, fame or greed,
Kinslayer's words be wise to heed,
Be ye born of purest light,
None can withstand the endless night.

greeny151

First Post
Great job

This is perfect for my game. I have a bard who will be following the party around siging songs of their adventuring deeds. This poem is exactly what I was looking for. The bard will first meet the party in winterhaven after they clear the kobold lair. This will be a great additional hook to get the players to go to the keep. I also wanted some song telling of Sir Keegan's corruption.

My hat is off to you.

Thanks!

Terwox

First Post
I'm using this.

I wrote out the vague one by hand, omitted some words and wrote them in as squiggly lines, and chopped up each line with a pair of scissors.

One of the characters is going to wake up (or something similar) holding the chopped up paper, and the players can try to piece it together. Haven't decided what else to do with it besides that, but the poem does sound extra creepy in chopped up snippets!

Micco

First Post
Love the poem! I'll try to work it in somewhere.

I liked the idea of a child's song as well. I'd particularly like to have the PCs hear it as they first come into town, maybe a bunch of kids playing some game with a leather ball and a song. I won't mention the words at the time unless someone asks. But then I'll have one of them wake in the middle of the night convinced he could hear a small child singing it just outside the window. How about this one as a start:

Code:
Father’s sword is sharp and bright,
His armor gleams in death’s dark light
Down shadowed halls he strides in might
Oh, I shall not survive this night.

Hawke

Explorer
Neat! I think I might have the star pact warlock write bits of this as he dreams and then eventually they'll piece it together... neat... very neat.

GorTeX

First Post
I modified it just a little for my game, set in the Forgotten realms where a ancient shadow dragon had been defeated by Keegan and banished to shadowfell with the keep protecting the portal. Had the town Sage and the party Wizard find the poem in the sage's library. Here is the slightly altered text I used
[sblock]
In gleaming keep of marbled stone
An ancient evil overthrown.
Wrested from this world and entombed,
Trapped in Shadow, lest the world be doomed,

Devout defender's sword did rend,

Kinslayer met his death alone,
And so awaits the fated time,
Forgiveness grant for hated crimes.

Peril hides, for years unknown,
Kinslayer's spirit guards it yet,
'Gainst the child he did beget

Sole survivor of that cursed line,
Doeth awaken the unholy shrine,
Dark power he craves as men do thirst,
Confining spells to be reversed.

Trembling on the edge of doom,
Unholy rites 'neath hated tomb
Summon the Shadow to the gate
And release the ancient fate

Seek ye treasure, fame, or greed,
Kinslayer's fate be wise to heed,
Be ye born of purest light
None can withstand the endless night.
[/sblock]

seems to have gone over real well, thanks for the great idea.

Last edited:

Zinovia

Explorer
Nice changes there GorTeX. I may use some of the alterations myself. My KotS game hasn't started yet because one of the players is going to be out of town for the next week or so. I'm really looking forward to it though.

I found some nice creepy music I might use for background from Diablo II. It's nice for background and setting a mood because it's literally designed for that purpose. There's an online player for it on battle.net Look for the link to their music player. I think it always has stuff from Starcraft, D1, and D2. Just scroll down to the D2 music, and listen to some of the songs to see if they work for your game. I really like many of them for a dark fantasy sound, or just as creepy music.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads