GSL & CC - Do they play together?

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
In this thread, http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=234856, Bob Goat releases a free GSL-produced D&D 4e product (all kosher under GSL, as it's free so it can ignore the Oct. 1 date), but when you look at it, the author also releases content via Creative Commons, as follows:
Except where otherwise subject to the Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition Game System License, this work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Now, the OGL just did not play at all with CC; they wanted the same result, but went about it differently, so they couldn't cross-polinate each other (though you could release something simultaneously using both).

The GSL is a completely different beast from the OGL, and its restrictive nature makes me wonder about its compatibility with CC in the same product.

Thoughts? (I'm kinda hoping Clark will drop by.)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Seems to me that they are fine together right now. However the GSL could be changed at any time to make joint products in violation.

Xyxox

Hero
Seems to me that they are fine together right now. However the GSL could be changed at any time to make joint products in violation.

The way the licensing was worded in the example, if the GSL was altered to preclude use of the CC, then the product in question would have nothing covered under the CC.

CapnZapp

Legend
Again and again, the reply is the same:

"Any attempts at being clever, sneaky or apply loopholes will fail simply because there is no arbitrator, no judge, no DM that will consider your case. Instead, if Wizards find your efforts to be irritating, they will simply shut you out.

No trial, no jury, no appeals.

Simply don't enter the GSL if you don't trust every current and future WoTC employee."

starwed

First Post
Again and again, the reply is the same
While it might be good advice to avoid the GSL, that doesn't mean that asking questions about its current incarnation is moot. And the point under consideration had absolutely nothing to do with using loopholes or being sneaky!

CountPopeula

First Post
Being that I'm not a lawyer, and have no interest in publishing under the GSL, I have no idea how relevant my interpretation is, but, doesn't the GSL state that you can enter into contracts with other GSL publishers to use their content? And it only specifically excluded the OGL as a useable license. I personally don't see the problem.

Remove ads