of Defects and Nuisances

The sun beat down from above; the trees lining this dirt road offered no protection from the ball of fire that baked them directly overhead. Fresh from wiping out a roaming band of kobolds from the caves of Lavender the pacifistic cheese maker, the party was out searching for the kidnapped daughter of the local duke. The kobolds seemed to know the whereabouts of this important person and this group of adventurers saw before them the source of currency a find like that would grant them.

Up ahead a small path ventured off to the left, or south, while the main road continued on further to the west where it appeared to split at a “Y” intersection. Stories of kidnappings had increased in the prior months; they’d all heard the stories and most associated it with either Highcastle involvement or the ebb and flow of orc movements. Surely a bunch of kobold snots couldn’t formulate a plan as audacious as the taking of a royal heir! Kobolds were creatures the orcs cowed into charging upon the spears of civilization and dying there.

Slyphwhipser saw the signs all around him, the dysfunctional attempt to sweep away tracks on the dirt road. The lack of bird calls in the area, the gnome didn’t need to be a ranger to understand they were walking into a trap. If he could have had silence he could attempt to flush out the presumptuous attackers. Gramps wheezing made that impossible though, the old dwarf wheezed more than a gasket letting off steam.

“Whoa, a foe? Dost the wee one detect an enemy that wishes to engage us in a battle to the death?” Lord Horatius Diphthong announced, rather loudly.

“Yes, and thanks to you and wheezy over there, I’m sure they are fully aware of our presence.” Slyphwhisper responded.

“Who you callin’ wheezy son? I’ve had gas outbursts with more wind than it would take to knock you on yer ass.” Gramps answers.

“You! You’ve been hacking up a lung for the last four miles. If’ you’re going to die hurry it up or you’re going to get us all killed.” Slyphwhisper retorts.

“You watch yer tongue runt, I’ve been doing this job for longer than you’ve been dreaming of becoming a hero.” Gramps answers.

“Can we stop fighting? It’s hot out here and I’m starting to chafe under this brassiere, I’d hate to have to take it off and be unprotected against the forces of evil.” Discordia interjects.

“Don’t you worry lass; I’ll let nothing near you save my shield. I swear upon my beard.” Gramps offers.

“You know why dwarves have beards right? They used to be prehensile when the dwarven race lived among the jungle forests of the north coast. They used to swing from tree to tree with nothing but the strength of their beards to support them. But then one day the elves came and showed them they could swing using vines and rope, so the dwarves stopped using their beard as a mode of travel and slowly the appendage regressed into its earlier form of facial hair. It was this loss of ability that drove the dwarves underground in hiding.” The enermancer offered

“You dissin’ me son? Start preparing your eulogy cause I’m gonna stomp you into.” *cough* *cough* *cough*

“What? It’s coming knowledge.” The enermancer states, “Look it’s all lifeless now.” The enermancer grabs a hold of Gramps’ beard and flaps it around like a rag doll. “Now if this was thousands of years ago, he would be slapping me with this beard but, as you can see, it’s pretty limp.”

“There there Gramps.” Lavender puts a sympathetic arm around the coughing dwarf and leads him to the side of the road.

The kobold ambushers stare in bewilderment, the group of people didn’t know they were there and yet they still seemed to take too much time standing around on the road. Impetuous and twitchy natures got the best of them and those on the north side of the road fired their blowguns prematurely.

Wooden splinters ricochet off the backs of the party as the first salvo was launched.

“We’re under attack!” Slyphwhisper announces.

“I’ll protect you!” Lord Horatius, The enermancer, and Gramps all announce as they move in to protect Discordia.

Blushing, Discordia basks in their attention. “Boys, really. I don’t need all this fighting over me, how about we take care of the critters first? Hmm?” She says stroking the chin of the enermancer.

“Charge!” The enermancer bawls as he rushes headlong down the road.

Lord Horatius Diphthong took the enermancer’s announcement as a challenge and decided he would beat the warrior to the enemy and they both raced off to combat. Gramps however stood his ground.

“Here prized one, genuflect behind me shield of bravery!” Gramps directs Discordia

“What? And hide this body? I think not, I’ve spent far too many decades working out to hide behind a dirty shield. If you want to protect me then you’ll have to dive out in front of me to intercept incoming missiles.” Discordia advises

Slyphwhisper shook his head in disbelief; he secretly hoped the two idiots running face first into a volley of needles would be killed. The gnome broke off from the party and headed into the tree line on the north side of the road, proceeding methodically to move towards the place where the needles were likely shot from. However he pulled up after only a few feet as he spotted two crouching kobolds with shortspears waiting for the rest of the party to move up.

As the enermancer ran up to the blowgun firing location, those kobolds failed their morale check and dropped their guns to turn and run. The enermancer stepped into the tree line and was immediately swept off his feet by a snare trap. Flung thirty feet into the air and then sent crashing back down to the ground through the limbs of smaller trees, the warrior’s body came to rest on a bed of pine needles nearly twenty feet from the road. Lord Diphthong did not fare much better, as he ran past the enermancer and heard the twang of the trap his face was pummeled by a thrown javelin. The weapon smashing his nose and knocking out the top two front teeth in his mouth, Lord Horatius staggered and his knees buckled. The hexblade fell to the ground dazed and confused.

“Oh crap.” Lavender proclaimed as she saw two of the three combat members disappear from her view.

Gramps dropped his insistence that Discordia hide and labored up the road to get a better look at the action. Once he was past the hiding spear-wielding kobolds the creatures leapt out to attack his back. As they did, Slyphwhisper took a swipe at one of them. His blade scored across the back of the kobold and it jumped awkwardly away from its hidden assailant. It had failed to leap to the attack but realized that it was not alone in the woods and began scanning the foliage for its attacker.

The enermancer shook the pine needles from his hair and tried to push himself off of the ground. His chest was on fire and he figured there had to be at least a couple of broken ribs, he only hoped he had not broken a clavicle as he braced himself. The kobolds that had seen the flying warrior stopped escaping to survey the damage. Once they saw him try to get up they figured he was too powerful to deal with and continued to flee through the forest. Lord Horatius wobbled on his haunches as another javelin slammed against his right shoulder and spun the hexblade a half turn in the dirt. Grasping his shoulder in pain, Lord Horatius looked back to see where these missiles were coming from and located a large hairy creature with a stack of javelins slumped against the tree behind him.

What had appeared to be a “Y” in the road was really a split to allow travelers to walk around an old tree instead of moving the tree when the road was created. The beast mocked the hexblade, daring him to stand up and face another aerial onslaught.

“You lard pimping tree chewer! You’re going down.” Lord Horatius challenged the bugbear. The beast let out a guttural laugh and waited for Lord Horatius to ascend to his feet before throwing another javelin. With the hexblade’s attention finally on his attacker he was able to spin away and the missile disappeared in the trees behind him. It was the bugbear’s turn to curse as the hexblade gathered up speed and charged into the creature, nicking his right flank as he was still a tad woozy from the facial blow he had received.
The enermancer fell through the tree line and back onto the road next to where the hexblade had lost two of his teeth, and he began again to pull himself up off of the ground. Gramps turned to face his threat and planted his shield into the ground. Using his massive arms to reach around the shield and harass the kobold who had to move to get across the sides of the shield, coughing and hacking Gramps kept the kobold moving as Lavender shot forth a bolt of scintillating energy into the kobold’s back.

“What the hell was that? I thought you were a pacifist, you been holding out on us?” Discordia complained when she saw Lavender’s attack.

“I did not damage it; I’m trying to put it out of commission.” Lavender replies.

When Discordia saw that the kobold indeed appeared to be unfazed by the blast she turned back to Lavender, “Obviously, are you trying to heal it?”

“In a manner of speaking, yes.” Lavender answered.

“That’s even more ridiculous as neither of them have been damaged. I admit to being entertained by the antics of the dwarf and kobold, but seeing as how neither one of them have been damaged that tactic is pretty stupid. All you’re doing now is showing off and to really do that properly you need to be showing more skin than that frumpy dress.” Discordia replies.

Slyphwhisper watched in amusement as the bewildered kobold poked out his spear in the hope of hitting its attacker. The gnome left the kobold confused and paranoid and darted across the road to flank the kobold who was engaged with Gramps. The gnome sunk his blade into the soft part of its back next to the spine. The kobold screeched and tried to pull the blade free, its drop in guard allowed Gramps to slam his hand ax into the skull of the creature, felling the scaly rodent.

The kobold Slyphwhisper left in the trees was either made of sterner stuff or was too stupid to realize he was horribly outnumbered, but he ran out and tried to jab his spear into the side of the gnome rogue. Missing badly, but forcing Slyphwhisper away from the dwarf, the kobold waved for something behind the dwarf. Turning around, Gramps saw two fetish wearing kobolds standing a top an overturned log twenty feet down the smaller side path to the south.

“Reinforcements!” Gramps cries out and points down the path. Lavender and Discordia step up to peer down the path. The enermancer heard this and assumed the dwarf needed reinforcements and hobbled up the road towards Gramp’s position, leaving Lord Horatius to battle the bugbear solo.

“You, I shall kill you. You tourist tossing nose blaster! And then, when I’m all done, I’m going to set you on fire. How do you like that?” Lord Horatius cursed at his opponent. The bugbear appeared ambivalent to the hexblade’s words.

As the two women peered around the tree line, three kobolds leapt from hiding and began grappling with Discordia. Too close to combat for comfort’s sake, Lavender moved back up or east along the road and too uncertain she could hit a kobold and not the tiefling, Lavender blasted the kobold fighting Slyphwhisper instead.

“Ahhh! I’m being assaulted!” Discordia cries out

Gramps moved up and began kicking kobolds off the warlock’s body, once she was clear he hefted her up and they retreated down the side path towards the kobolds standing on the log, once they had reached the halfway point the kobolds on the log went to work. Dual casting sleep spells they dropped the warlock and dwarf onto the ground in a deep slumber.

The loose kobolds quickly regrouped and pounced on the warlock with rope as they attempted to tie her up. Lavender blasted the kobold fighting Slyphwhisper again as the gnome disengaged to go prevent the kidnapping of Discordia. The enermancer too ran past the kobold Lavender was blasting and headed straight for the downed adventurers. Once he saw the gnome headed there though, he switched his decision to going after the two kobolds on the log instead.

Lavender now faced an armed kobold that was backing her up the road and further away from help. Lavender blasted the kobold again but the creature barely noticed, “These can’t be kobolds they’re too strong!” she shouted.

Lord Horatius and the bugbear traded blows back and forth each just one good hit away from ending the struggle. Desperate, Lord Horatius unleashed a torrent of words laced with adjectives and verbs that had no business being in the same vocabulary, much less the same sentence. Disorientated by the stream of profanity in a language it didn’t understand, the bugbear lowered its guard enough to allow Lord Horatius a clean strike into its right lung. The hexblade dislodged his blade horizontally across the ribcage and it exited the bugbear with a wet *pop* as the lung collapsed. Wheezing and grasping his chest the bugbear fell to his knees and Lord Horatius divorced its head from its shoulders.

The enermancer issued a war cry and prepared to leap onto the kobolds, he planted his foot but the ground gave way into a pit. The enermancer fell ten feet and landed awkwardly on his ankles, badly twisting them and further injuring his ribcage. The kobolds began casting ray of frost onto the prone enermancer to exacerbate his injures. Slyphwhisper dove at Gramps, tucking his knees into his chest he effectively cannonballed the dwarf and sent the grizzled fighter into shock as he awoke to find himself gasping for air.

Lavender took a nasty cut to her thigh as the kobold stalked her down; the cheese maker fired off another blast at the kobold and again it absorbed it and kept stalking her. Lord Horatius took a wide turn down the path and clipped Lavender’s kobold behind the knees. The blow was sufficient enough to fell the exhausted kobold. Lavender breathed a sigh of relief when the kobold went down and she slowly crept back to the side path.

Slyphwhisper engaged the kobolds who had just finished hog tying Discordia one kobold broke off and went hand-to-hand with the gnome as the other two reptiles began dragging Discordia towards the two shamans manning the downed log. Gramps gripped his chest and turned on his side to cough air into his lungs. The enermancer crawled over to the nearest wall and began a slow climb up the wall on one and half ankles and a worrisome crackle in his lungs when he inhaled.

Lord Horatius, with the visual assist from the enermancer was able to leap across the pit and land chest first on the downed tree. With a loud “oof” he joined Gramps in wheezing instead of breathing. The nearest kobold shoved a dagger into the back of Lord Horatius’s left hand and began to twist it slowly.

“You wart hugging leg lotion, I’m going to turn you into a new pair of boots and not wait before you’re skinned to do it either. Then I’m going to set you on fire!” Lord Horatius spouts.

The kobold leaned in close to the hexblade, “Shh, quit fighting. Just let go and fall back, surely the loss of one friend is not worth the embarrassment I am about to unleash upon you.”

Lord Horatius spat in the kobold’s face, the reptile withdrew the dagger from the hexblade’s hand intent on shoving it into another part of the human’s body. Lord Horatius had other designs however, releasing his stabbed hand he allowed the momentum of his left side falling unsupported to carry his legs up towards the right end of the log and he supplied the final energy to get his body fully onto the log. The startled kobold shaman hissed and reached into a pouch on his belt.

Gramps rolled up into a sitting position and tried to get his bearings, hearing the gnome git hollerin’ ‘bout something he turned and focused his sights on the kidnapping in progress. Slyphwhisper shouted for Lavender to help him stop the fleeing kobolds.

“I can’t, they’re not normal kobolds! I blasted one of them three times and it just stared at me like I was stroking its ego. These kobolds aren’t normal, they’re like super kobolds”* the cheese maker replied.

“How would you know, if you abhor violence?” Slyphwhisper shot back

“Well, I’ve read books on the subject and seen it in the arena” Lavender replied

Gramps was now on his feet and chasing down the dragged body of Discordia. The enermancer made his way up the wall and onto the log opposite Lord Horatius, the kobold nearest the enermancer jumped off the log to the non-pit side and the enermancer could now see the handful of prisoners. He deliberately and gingerly set himself up to flank the remaining shaman on the log with Lord Horatius. Once the kobold knew he was surrounded and looked back at the hexblade, Lord Horatius had a verbal reply for it.
“You crud-infested, cerebrally-challenged, emaciated, hideous, no good miserable goon! I’m about to light your world on fire!” Lord Horatius proclaims.

The kobold throws the contents of his fist that he had in his pouch at Lord Horatius. The stinging sand clinging to his moist eyes like Velcro, Lord Horatius screamed in pain and grabbed his eyes. The enermancer, not wanting to get an eyeful of that, stepped to the side to avoid the throw in case the kobold spun around. However the warrior forgot where he was and stepped out into open air and plunged the now twelve feet to the pit floor. This time striking his head hard against the wall and giving himself a concussion.

The shaman then bull rushed the hexblade to try and knock him into the pit as well. The kobold connected but the hexblade fell on the prisoner side instead. Blinded and pissed off, Lord Horatius started madly swinging his battle axe around in wide arcs; he connected with the downed tree several times, but was unsuccessful in striking a kobold. The dragging kobolds managed to get around the tree and to where the other prisoners were.

Slyphwhisper finished off the kobold he was engaging with a series of feints that brought the kobold to his knees. Gramps followed the path the kobolds took to drag Discordia through the foliage and emerged on the other side of the log. The hexblade was flailing about with a dangerous weapon while the remaining kobolds were loading up the prisoners into a small wagon in safety several feet away from the hexblade.

Gramps, assessing the situation and realizing he had not yet been noticed by the kobolds, headed to the front driver’s side wheel on the wagon and slammed his tower shield onto it, cracking the wheel and dislodging a good sized piece of wood in the process. He then moved to the two worn out horses the kobolds were using to transport the wagon. He silently cursed himself for never understanding the intricacies of knot tying and gave up on trying to free the beasts of burden. Instead he flexed his stomach muscles and called forth a gastric soup of vapors the stench of which hell would not know and unleashed his masterpiece into the nostrils of the horses.

“Let’s go, let’s go!” a kobold called out as it jumped up the front of the wagon and took the reigns, after the last kobold boarded the wagon, the driver snapped the reigns and turned around to focus on the road. He saw one horse retching and the other keel over apparently deceased. The retching horse lurched the wagon forward as best it could but the bad wheel snapped and the body of the prone horse halted all forward movement.

“Hello ugly” Gramps said as he brought his hand ax down upon the shoulder of the driver and severed his arm. The startled kobold flipped off of the wagon of the far side of the dwarf, he only made it a few feet further before he collapsed and bled out.

The last four kobolds faced off against Gramps, Slyphwhisper, and a blind Lord Horatius. The shamans tried to use their ray of frosts on the gnome but he was too quick for them and easily dodged the pale blue rays. Gramps hefted himself up the wagon and squared off against the two non-shaman kobolds as Slyphwhisper made his way towards the shamans. The shamans, without effective weapons resigned themselves to tossing the bodies of the prisoners at the nimble gnome. The rouge used the bodies as living stairs to ascend the wagon and fight the shamans.

The two regular kobolds broke morale and run off into the woods, Gramps advanced to flank the shamans and between Slyphwhisper and himself they took down the shamans without too much trouble. They heard Lord Horatius cussing and yelling as he swung his blade, he sounded a little too happy for someone who eyes were getting rubbed with sand. Upon further inspection the gnome and dwarf saw that Lord Horatius had found a body to attack, unfortunately it was that of a former prisoner who died hog tied and unable to defend themselves from the blind and enraged hexblade.

“Lord High and Mighty. Stop! We’ve killed them all” Gramps called out.

The hexblade lowered his battle axe and sat on the ground while the gnome set off to follow the fleeing kobolds. He chased them for an hour to a wide mouthed cave nearly a mile away. He left the location and dropped pebbles as he doubled back to inform the rest of them where the kobolds were raiding from. While he was gone Gramps and Discordia fished the enermancer out of the pit. Lavender set about healing his wounds much to the displeasure of Lord Horatius.

“Why the hell is he getting healed? He’s the most injured out of all of us and he didn’t see any combat. He got caught in two traps, one of them twice!” The hexblade seethes, “I’m over here hacking up prisoners and he’s trying to commit suicide.”

“Hey repeated head injuries are the primary cause of psionic ability; if you don’t shut up over there I’ll ram my head into that tree a few more times and then blow your brain apart from the inside” The enermancer threatens.

“Really? I say go for it, anything that makes you useful in a fight has got to be an improvement. At least the pansy woman made an attempt to kill some of them” Lord Horatius counters.

“I was not trying to kill any of them, I merely wanted them unconscious. How many times do I need to tell you I am a pacifist?” Lavender replies.

“You keep using that word, but I don’t think it means what you think it means” The hexblade answers.

Discordia tended to the prisoners’ sense of loneliness and close platonic relationship with a woman. It was thus with no surprise that most of the prisoners shrugged off Lavender’s healing attempts to hear Discordia perorate on the subject of which metal brassieres offer the best possible lift and separation for the adventure who’s low on funds but needs the extra protection that comes with a metal breastplate. No one noticed that Slyphwhisper had returned for several minutes even with him shouting over Discordia’s voice.

“I found the hideout, maybe we can strike while they’re preparing to come get their cargo back and we can take them all by surprise!” Slyphwhisper shouts excitedly.

“I think the first order of business is to return these prisoners to civilization” Lavender offers.

“What if we unloaded them on a nearby farm and they alerted the proper authorities? That way we could get back here sooner as I am in favor of taking the kobolds by surprise” The enermancer replies.

“Of course you would, because if they’re prepared then that increases the likelihood of you getting into combat and well you can’t handle that” the hexblade offers a dissenting view.

The party decides to return the prisoners to the nearest farm they can find back to the north as they don’t want the added baggage of having to protect the rest of them from another mad hacker episode from Lord Horatius. They surround the prisoners and head back north. Just before dinner they spot a farmhouse and barn to the northeast from the road. Cutting across the wheat field they arrive at the farmstead’s main house. While the male members of the party were intently watching the sweating Discordia pat dry her bosom, Lord Horatius was salivating at the sight of a dilapidated hay barn.

Gramps ascended the porch to knock on the front door.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” The hexblade challenged

“Walking up stairs ye lout.” Gramps replied

“I hope you’re not planning on knocking on the door. I’m the noble here don’t you think he would be happier if someone who looked regal addressed him?” Lord Horatius countered

“Who gives a crap? Someone knock on the fricken’ door!” Slyphwhisper called out

Gramps took the door knocker and banged loudly; Lord Horatius tried to shove the dwarf out of the way but only managed to push himself further away from the door.

“Back off old man.” Lord Horatius commanded

“You want my boot up your arse now or when you’re dropping the kids off at the pool?” Gramps responded while shoving the hexblade

“What do you people want?” The farmer asked opening the door just as the hexblade and the dwarf had drawn their fists back in preparation of going a few boxing rounds.

“Sir, we’ve been kidnapped and are seeking refuge for the night so that we might report to the authorities in the morning.” One of the former prisoners spoke up

The look on the farmer’s face went from disgust to astonishment to disbelief and Slyphwhisper spoke up.

“We didn’t kidnap them, we saved them.” The dubious look from the farmer did little to convince the gnome that he was believing them.

“Tis true, we rescued these brave souls from the clutches of a nasty band of kobold raiders, you will be happy to learn that the southern road has been cleaned of their wickedness.” Gramps told the farmer

“I don’t use the south road.” Came the reply

“Well, it’s cleared nonetheless, can we leave our presents here or do you wish to be known as a man who refused to help kidnapped merchants on the way to Virdistan?” Lord Horatius replied

“I don’t go to Virdistan.” The farmer answered

“Look moron, I don’t give a flying rat’s ass if you travel to hell instead, but we can’t take these people into the kobold’s base of operations and expect them to make it out alive.” The hexblade countered

“I thought you said you took care of the kobold problem?” The farmer questioned

“Oh now you pay attention to the conversation?” Lord Horatius threw his hands up in frustration

“Good sir, I believe you are mistaken.” The enermancer started

“Mistaken about what?” The farmer asked

“About your choice of crop, you do know what planting turnips means for us humans right?” the enermancer answered

“What are you talking about?” The farmer insisted

*sigh* the enermancer took a deep breath while shaking his head in disgust, “planting turnips kills a baby for every one you pull up from the ground. Have you not heard of this? It’s all over the Speculative Paranoia Monthly reports you’re committing infanticide out here in the Styx.”

Lord Horatius seized upon the enermancer’s distraction and snuck off towards the barn. His feet seemed to float him there as if he wasn’t really moving but the earth turned to bring the barn to his location. The smell of the dry hay and the heat of the day sent the hexblade into orbital bliss as he reached for a vial of Alchemist’s Fire, then another, and finally another. He let his hands run along the dry support beams holding up a roof that looked more like a goblin’s attempt at a lean-to than a barn roof. His work nearly done, Lord Horatius headed back to the farmhouse where the enermancer still held the farmer’s attention in a vice of improbability.

“Look none of my kids ever died when I pulled up one of those turnips.” The farmer shouted back

“Hey, I never said your babies would be the ones dying, stop putting words in my mouth. By infants I meant human ones in general and by human I of course meant the larval stage, which as everyone is aware are goblins” The enermancer counters, his increasingly outrageous claims had caused the prisoners to cower behind the farmer for fear of their sanity.

“Can we leave them here with you or not? Or do you want him to continue talking?” Lord Horatius said to the farmer referring to the enermancer

“Hmm, well. How are you going to alert the patrols? None of them work the road south of here.” The farmer says

“Easy, we just need a big enough signal fire and they’ll come investigate.” The hexblade explains

“Come investigate and arrest you; murderer.” The enermancer says

“Where are you going to get the supplies needed for a fire of that size?” The farmer inquires

“Hell’s fury flows strong through this house; we shall use that energy to purify your house of the evil deeds you have committed.” The enermancer states

“I was thinking of that dry hay you’ve got stacked up in the barn, it would be perfect.” Lord Horatius answers

“Yes, a perfect pyre for which to end your reign of tyranny!” The enermancer agrees

“Fine as long as you get him to shut up.” The farmer says pointing to the enermancer

“Deal.” The hexblade spits in his hand and the farmer follows and they shake on the deal.

“Let’s go people; we’ve got kobolds to kick.” Lord Horatius announces and heads off the farmer’s porch back towards the wheat field they entered his property through.

“Hey I thought we had a deal?” The farmer shouted

“Your barn’s burning.” Lord Horatius said with a smile as he walked off

*The kobolds had 3-4 levels of warrior (or adept in the case of the shamans)

Last edited:

The PCs were created using Nuisanceshttp://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=50544, they could either pick two defects and gain a feat or let fate choose and they could roll a defect at random and gain a feat for each roll, but they had to take whatever defect was rolled. Here are the major results:

Slyphwhisper: Mechanical Jinx x2 (he rolled this twice and doubled the likelihood that a misfire occurs) he has fled to Virdistan is hopes of avoiding the ever expanding influence of Highcastle. He is a gnome rogue.

Lord Horatius Diphthong: Pyromania and Socially Awkward. An actual noble, he was cast out of his family for a “problem” that too often started with a tinder box and some flint. He is a human hexblade.

Discordia: Indecisive and Hot Body (others receive a -2 penalty to spot and search checks whenever she is in sight of them). She is a teifling warlock.

Gramps: Nauseous Fart and One Functioning Lung (Peaked defect). He is a dwarven fighter hell bent on becoming a dwarven defender.

The Enermancer: Socially Awkward and Other Ways of Knowing (imagine someone reading only the checkout tabloids and believing everything they say). This also prevents him from giving out his real name as he fears the true namers which must be hiding in the party will use that knowledge to subvert him under their control. The enermancer class is found here http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=28483&it=1and he too is human

Lavender didn’t take any, she is a custom class and her power is solely non-lethal; essentially filling the target with bliss until they fall into a euphoric coma. Female and sort of celestial in nature

The story is set 400 years in the future of the Story Hour: The Acrimonious Adventurer Association (see sig.) and Discordia is a direct descendant of Menthos from that story hour, and Dawnforge http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=474&it=1was used to for the races.

Jon Potter

First Post
You and your group certainly have a way of taking things a step further with each incarnation. I applaud this, of course.

But I don't know that I'd want to play a pacifist character or one with near-lethal flatulence or uncontrolled pyromania. A character with a hot body on the other hand... :lol:

I am intrigued by the enermancer class, it sounds a lot like the eldritch warrior class that Morier in my game has taken. Could you tell me more about it?

You and your group certainly have a way of taking things a step further with each incarnation. I applaud this, of course.

But I don't know that I'd want to play a pacifist character or one with near-lethal flatulence or uncontrolled pyromania. A character with a hot body on the other hand... :lol:

I am intrigued by the enermancer class, it sounds a lot like the eldritch warrior class that Morier in my game has taken. Could you tell me more about it?

The gas is like a personal stinking cloud and only when he eats the "right"/wrong foods, so it's extemely limiting in it's utility. The pyromania on the other hand... lets just say figures prominently in the next update. We don't know what Lavendar's deal is, maybe it'll come out more as they adventure further.

The enermancer attunes themselves to a specific energy (earth in this case) they gain special abilities based upon their chosen energy as they go up levels. The player seems to like it. I'll dig out the actual PDF tonight and give a little more detail on what he gives up from a fighter perspective and what he gains SA-wise.

Jon Potter

First Post
The enermancer attunes themselves to a specific energy (earth in this case) they gain special abilities based upon their chosen energy as they go up levels. The player seems to like it. I'll dig out the actual PDF tonight and give a little more detail on what he gives up from a fighter perspective and what he gains SA-wise.

I'd be interested to know.

The eldritch warrior is from Forgotten Heroes: Sorcerer by Malladin's Gate Press. It's a decent book (and I see that it's only .50¢) although it has some ups and downs. Some bits are REALLY overpowered, but some other stuff, like racial lifepaths, are quite cool indeed.

Anyway, Eldritch Warriors give up quite a lot from the warrior side (they only get cleric's attack progression and hit die) in exchange for some r-e-a-l-l-y slow spell progression. What they do get are bonus feats, some of which are fighter bonus feats. Many are exclusive to eldritch warriors, however, and allow them to attune themselves to energy (Morier chose Lightning) and channel it in various ways.

The class doesn't allow for it, but I added the ability to cast their spells in light armor. That's right, they're proficient with light and medium armor, but can't cast their spells in it without risking arcane spell failure. :confused:

Last edited:

The Enermancer gets a fighter's BAB, and 3 bonus feats over 20 levels, by 20th level they can summon a greater elemental, gains DR, imbue their weapons with an energy that matches whichever path they've choosen, and they get energy resistance and a CHA boost.

Jon Potter

First Post
The Enermancer gets a fighter's BAB, and 3 bonus feats over 20 levels, by 20th level they can summon a greater elemental, gains DR, imbue their weapons with an energy that matches whichever path they've choosen, and they get energy resistance and a CHA boost.

Nice. So the similarities between the enermancer and the eldritch warrior are merely cosmetic. From looking a the enermancer write-up it looked like the class got spellcasting as well as energy manipulation. The lack of spells is a big difference between the two classes.

Thanks for filling me in.

Last edited:

To light the sun

The party heads back to the scene of the kobold ambush. Slyphwhisper immediately noticed the dismal clean-up job someone did on the discarded kobold bodies and spent ammunition. Blood spatter covered the side path and the enermancer’s drippings still ran from the edge of the woods to the side path. The pit had been filled in by dumping the body of the dead horse as well as the broken remains of the escape wagon that gramps rendered useless.

“Someone knows of our handiwork.” The gnome states

“I think it obvious that our destination should be into the earth womb.” The enermancer replies

“You mean the cave? We weren’t gone that long, this had to have been completed with a lot of manpower to have everything but blood cleaned up.” Lord Horatius commented

“Cave? No, I mean the womb from which all of the dirt races erupt in a pregnant expulsion of filth onto the world proper. It is these places that must be sewn up with the needle of righteousness before the sky impregnates the same ground again in an incestuous coupling that only produces a greater chance of abominations.” The enermancer responded

Like watching a Phoenix being reborn there were tears of joy and tears of searing pain as the onlooker’s eyes were permanently cindered, such was the diatribes that came forth from the enermancer’s mouth.

“Son, I don’t know whether to drop ya on yer head again or kick yer ass again ‘cause it is blatantly obvious that yer parents didn’t do one those two options with enough frequency to fix yer issues.” Gramps comments

“I’m wondering why the clean-up crew failed to scuff up the blood, that is ambush cover-up one-oh-one and could have been completed with they retrieved the darts and javelins.” Discordia announced while dragging her foot through a blood trail in an exaggerated twirling motion meant to pronounce the curvature of her hips, once she was sure most of the group was watching her play with the dirt she reflexively clenched and unclenched her buttocks in an alternating hypnotic pattern.

“Wha… were we looking for again?” The enermancer drifted off verbally

“Are you done? I think we need to exterminate their lair or they’ll be more ambushes.” Slyphwisper said tugging on the tiefling’s blouse.

Discordia bent over in an exaggerated fashion, throwing her hips back and her rear end up as high as it would go, giving the gnome the impression that she would spill out of her top at any second, “Why such the party pooper little one? Like yeasted bread, my dough requires constant kneading to feed the hungry.”

“I’m starved.” Gramps related

“Hey! Old man, this way to the cave.” Slyphwhisper announced and pointed towards the northwest.

The party regroups and heads off towards the cave that Slyphwhisper had tracked the escapees from the aborted ambush earlier in the day. They reached the cave as the sun dipped below the tree tops to the west and grey filter was laid upon the darkened landscape. The smell of cooked rabbit slowly leaked from the cave entrance and drifted off to the south on the slight breeze. The entrance was unguarded from the outside it appeared, there were also no guards posted in the trees surrounding the entrance either.

“Either these guys are extremely confidently or galacticly stupid.” Slyphwhisper announced

“These are but kobolds, I’m going with stupid.” Gramps responded

“Super-kobolds, I don’t think these are your regular die from a shield bash variety kobolds.” Lavender spoke

“Why would you want them dead? Again you keep telling people you’re a pacifist, but I think you think there’s an alternate definition to that word that only you know.” Slyphwhisper answered

“If you help me pile up all these down trees, twigs, and dead foliage in front of the cave entrance, I’ll have the inhabitant either running for their lives out of the cave, or dead from smoke inhalation.” Lord Horatius proudly comments

“Not every problem can be solved with a huge bonfire.” Lavender replies

“I believe you’re mistaken on that account sweet-cheeks, every problem can be solved with a little heat and a burning light source.” The hexblade answers

“We don’t need to alert the entire surround landscape to our presence at this cave, no subterfuge will win this day. We should cold camp off that east-west path in front of the cave and wait for a passing caravan headed for the cave, ambush them and beat them until we have the answers we need.” Lavender offered

“Sounds physical, like we might get hot and sweaty. The prospect of blood being spilled appears greater with the pacifist’s plan than with the pyromaniac’s. My body yearns for the threat of violence.” Discordia replies

The group agrees with the cheese maker and head off to the northeast to intercept the woodland path and pick a good spot to watch over the trail while camping just out of sight. A dejected Lord Horatius follows behind them collecting twigs and small pieces of bark. The party selects a small clearing fifty feet from the road and downwind of any potential combatants. The party begins unburdening their backs from packs, sacks and bags of gear when Lavender spies Lord Horatius building a tent of twigs, dried leaves and bark.

“Was I unclear with the plan? We need to cold camp it tonight in order to watch the road to the cave effectively and ambush any kidnappers.” Lavender calls out Lord Horatius

“Pacifism is objectively pro-Fascist...he that is not with me is against me.” The enermancer comments*

“Well, you guys will be doing all the work.” Lavender answers, then spies Lord Horatius hitting his flint stone, “what are you doing?

“I’m building a fire, what’s it look like I’m doing?” Lord Horatius answers

“Didn’t you hear me? We need to cold camp it we don’t want a fire.” Lavender replies

“No fire? Oh I think you’re mistaken, there’s going to be a fire.” Lord Horatius responds

“If there’s a fire then we can’t sneak up on the road.” Lavender explains

“There’s that aggressiveness again.” The enermancer says

“I’m cold, if there’s no fire then I’m going to need to snuggle up with at least three people and I sleep in the nude.” Discordia announces

*cough* *cough* *wheeze* *cough* *sputter* *hack* *cough* “I offer my ampleness to the cause of keeping you warm at night.” Gramps relates

“Well. Looks like it’ll be a cold camp but warm bodies after all.” Discordia answers with a wink

“Bullcrap, there’s gonna be a fire.” Lord Horatius answers

“No. Wait a second we can’t have either of those things going on. Why don’t you lay down for first watch Lord Horatius and I’ll give Discordia my extra blanket and take first watch how about that?” Lavender answers

“Sure, right after I start this fire.” Lord Horatius responds

“You’re not listening to the plan, no fire!” Lavender yells

With that spat, Lord Horatius is able to ignite the tender and the small ember roars to life much to the delight of the hexblade.

“Ah thank Kador, now I can leave this brazier on a little longer. It was getting so cold I was having to loosen the straps to make room for bodily extensions.” Discordia announces gleefully

“Quick! Put out that damn fire!” The enermancer squeals

“Finally, someone who agrees with me.” Lavender cheers

“What are talking about? I want to see the twin peaks of chaos you’ll have to get in line if you’re thinking of scaling them as well.” The enermancer answers

“You just try and put this out Dampy the water mephit, this thing’s gonna be burning all night and most of tomorrow.” Lord Horatius states proudly

“You know why fire smokes don’t you? It’s the earth’s god way of passing gas and that’s why there are flames when you burn wood, it’s the methane from the ground.” The enermancer relates

“Son, you ain’t too *cough* bright are you?” *hack* Gramps replies

“Methane my ass, it smells like victory!” Lord Horatius says with a tear in his eye

“We might as well abandon camp now with that signal fire there.” Lavender complains

“Thank god for that fire, I was walking in circles out there.” Slyphwhisper announces returning to camp after picking out the spot he would lie in wait for any passing kidnappers.

“Now who’s the ass?” Lord Horatius exclaims to the cheese maker

The night progressed uneventfully after Lord Horatius waited out the disgruntled Lavender and fell asleep shortly after she did. Slyphwhisper hid out among the brambles and thickets of the woods peering out over the moon washed path looking and listening for any signs of an approaching contingent of back-stabbing practice victims. The gnome decided that this task would be immensely easier if there was not a beacon of firelight shining brightly through the woods like an enormous will-o-wisp. The light created flickering shadows across the landscape and caused Slyphwhisper to second guess his sight several times that night.

Discordia had a much tougher time getting rest as she had difficulty trying to sleep facing the mini sun Lord Horatius created and turning her back to the tiny fusion reactor only caused her to sweat profusely, this however much far more acceptable than moving away from the flame and drawing the attention of the enermancer and Gramps like a moth beacon. So she suffered through the loss of body weight and cascading water as opposed to the desires of a crazy man and a dying dwarf.

Lord Horatius awoke several times like clockwork throughout the night to add more tinder to the fire as soon as the mean temperature of the camp was lowered below the boiling point of water the hexblade descended upon the conflagration like a lion on the back of a gazelle. The hexblade was started awake when his unearthly fire senses detected someone messing with his art.

“Huh? Who’s screwing with the fire?” Lord Horatius demands as his eyes try to focus after the hard wiping the back of his hands had given them.

“Shh. Calm down it’s only me.” The enermancer answers

“What are you doing to the fire?” Lord Horatius inquires

“I need a torch.” The enermancer replies

“Why? Where do you think you’re going?” the hexblade asks

“I need to light the sun. It will not rise if I fail to alight the sky coal prior to it’s ascendance into the morning sky. It is a duty I have been performing everyday of my adulthood and I shall not fail in this task today.” The enermancer replies

Lord Horatius gives the enermancer a twisted gape with his mouth and an unbelievable look in his eyes as his considers the enermancer’s insane request. Finally the hexblade kicks the burning stick from the enermancer’s hands, “use someone else’s fire. Don’t ever touch mine again.”

Stunned at the hexblade’s reply, the enermancer trudges out into the woods heading easterly; he removes two tindertwigs from his backpack and strikes them holding them aloft as the sky begins to brighten a faint orange-like color.

“What? Where’d he get those things? I will make him comply with my inquiries or there shall be pain.” Lord Horatius mutters under his breath.

*this is a George Orwell quote that I fit in here as it seemed apropos*

I carry a torch for you

Lavender spotted it first; a stain against the horizon like a shadow on a sunny day in a field of flowers, down the path to the east the clear morning was swallowed up. Sensing that this might be the arrival they’ve been waiting for, Lavender snapped her fingers and waved silently for the group to get into position. Slyphwhisper moved further up the path so as to get behind the arriving group when the rest of the party leapt out to ambush them.

The dark cloud grew larger as it traveled down the path towards the cave, Slyphwhisper ghosted into the foliage around him completely concealing his body visually. Gramps spat at the ground and pulled himself up from the crouching position he had next to Discordia and calmly walked out to the middle of the path and stood defiantly at the darkening path.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” The hexblade called out

“Drow.” Was all Gramps said, that one word conjuring up a lifetime of torture for those at the receiving end of the path.

Curses flew back and forth across the path as the party debated fleeing for their lives, staying and fighting, and whether or not the gnome needed to be altered to any of these decisions.

“I fight. That darkness cloud they’re traveling in, keeps them from getting blinded by the sun. Take out the mage and we cripple their defenses.” Gramps alerted the team

Gramps watched the tendrils of the darkness speed up as if it relished a fight with the dwarf, shoving itself along the path using the trees to slingshot itself towards the old warrior. Slyphwhisper stood motionless as the cloud passed in front of him; a full fifty feet from front to back the gnome imagined all forms of beasts and demons contained within the inky blackness. A worrisome silence fell over the area as the first volley was shot at the bold dwarf; several hand bolts clanged off the dwarf’s shield and fell to the ground. The cloud reared up and swallowed up Gramps in roiling darkness and then was suddenly still. Shouts from the drow preceded a growl from the dwarf as the clanging of weapons echoed out of the darkness.

Lord Horatius arose from his hiding spot first, arbitrarily chucking alchemist fire into the cloud of darkness before rushing into the blackness himself. The enermancer crawled out onto the path and slowly approached the hesitant to charge headlong into the field.

“Hey, get up off your hands and knees. We’ve surprised them with are attack, get up in there and kill something!” Lavender shouted as screams of terror erupted from inside the cloud sounding nothing like a dwarf or an elf.

Slyphwhisper waited until the hexblade shouted from within the cloud before he progressed into the darkness. The gnome noticed that as he passed through the barrier that the light darkened to that of a sky just before the thunderstorm starts. He spotted Gramps and Lord Horatius engaged with black-purple skinny elf-like creatures next to them were two burning carts that rocked back and forth on their own volition as another black elf lay at the foot of the right cart smoldering and unmoving. Immediately in front of Slyphwhisper, however stood a robbed black elf watching the battle intently as barking out orders to the rest of his people. Slyphwhisper crept quietly behind the elf and in a practice motion, slipped the blade midway up the back of the drow and to the right of its spine.

The drow shrieked in pain and tried to reach for the blade in the middle of his back, as he turned slowly to face his attacker one hand groping for the weapon in his back that was just out of reach and the other hand raised to cast a spell at his attacker. Slyphwhisper was ready though and as the drow’s arm went up, the gnome’s second dagger went down and wedged itself through the drow’s elbow. Blood raced down the drow’s arm as the spell failed and fizzled in midair. Defeated, the drow dropped to his knees as his blood pumped externally from the two wounds. The drow put the hand from his good arm on the ground in front of the gnome as his breathing became ragged. Lifting his head up to face his killer the drow began to enunciate a final spell. Slyphwhisper kneed the drow in the mouth and put his index finger to his mouth in a hushing motion. Shushing the drow and then using his third dagger to end the mage’s life.

As the drow mage fell to the ground the cloud of darkness too collapsed. The remaining four drow were instantly blinded and two were felled quickly as they dropped all defense to cover their eyes. With the cloud gone, Discordia joined in the fun by blasting the off-balanced drow from her safe vantage point. Lavender scanned the scene looking for the source of the screaming still going on. She spied the two alight carts and saw the bound humans squirming in them. Lavender without delay began aiming her healing bolts into them before they lost their battle with burn wounds. The cheese maker called out to the enermancer to help her put out the flames and save the captives. As the enermancer and Lavender reached the first cart, Discordia dropped one of the drow as Gramps and Lord Horatius moved to tag team the other drow.

“Don’t kill it we need some answers.” Slyphwhisper’s voice called out

The two men turned their weapons and took turns pommeling the consciousness out of the drow and then turned their attention to rescuing the captives the Lord Horatius’ random firebombing had set on fire. An unapologetic Lord Horatius tried to use the last burning pieces of wood from the carts to reignite the drow that had been burned to death.

“He’s dead, you can stop now.” Slyphwhisper commented

“Burn him again, here I help ye.” Gramps responded, and the two men busied themselves with trying to make refried drow.

Lavender and Discordia retrieved some rope from their backpacks and debated the best way to tie up the knocked out drow. The enermancer offered to complete the job for the women, gladly they handed over their ropes and the enermancer approached the downed drow. He took one of the ropes and tossed it on the drow. Then waited.

The women gave each other sideways glances as if to tell the other one that this was the other’s fault.

“What are you waiting for?” Lavender inquired

“Shh. I’m calling on the god of hemp to bind the drow for me.” Replied a concentrating enermancer

“Why don’t you smoke the other rope, maybe he’ll get here faster?” Discordia smirked

“Here, let me do it.” Lavender says as she slips the remaining rope off the enermancer’s shoulder and begins to bind the drow’s hands and feet.

“You do that like you’ve done some bondage role-playing Lavender.” Discordia observed

“I’ve done my share of hogtying calves.” Lavender replies

“Why would a cheese maker need cattle?” the enermancer asks

“Uh… to make the cheese. From milk.” Lavender explains

“Barbaric, haven’t your people heard of self-induced cheese making? Here I thought your vast acreage was being used to house all of the bodies needed for proper cheese making. Turns out you’ve been pulling cow teats all this time.” The enermancer responds

“What the heck are you talking about; I need the milk to make the cheese I sell.” Lavender states

“You should move into the less violent realm of cheese making, I myself have made from fine bricks of the stuff if I should say.” The enermancer boasts

“Really, what’s your best cheddar?” Lavender asks

“I don’t do cheddar; I make toe cheese and fromunda cheese. Has a heady flavor with a slight nutty aftertaste.” The enermancer answers to two nauseated listeners.

Slyphwhisper finally cut the bonds of the drow’s prisoners and helped them off the path and under a tree; he shared Gramps’ waterskin that he had pilfered while the dwarf busied himself trying to re-burn the dead drow. Slyphwhipser learned that all of the prisoners were magic-using individuals of some sort and that the drow seemed to focus on just them during their respective battles. They drow moved through the battle and grabbed them. The drow then quickly retreated back to their camp and tied them up and threw them in the wagons. They told Slyphwhisper that they had been traveling for just over a day. The gnome thanked them and then left them to their own devices.

The drow was beginning to come around as Lavender, Discordia, and the enermancer prepared to interrogate the creature. Discordia propped the drow up and the enermancer squatted in front of its face.

“Where were you going?” The enermancer questions

No reply came from the drow, “from where did you come?” the enermancer spoke again

Again no reply from the drow, “I guess he’s not going to talk.” The enermancer relayed with a shrug of his shoulders

“What kind of interrogation was that? We’re not his babysitters step aside and let the fiend in there.” Lavender demands

The teifling glares back at the cheese maker, “I don’t know what to do. Just because my mother had some extra kick in her DNA doesn’t mean I know how to impress upon a drow that his life is in danger if he doesn’t speak to us.” Discordia replies

“He’s dead anyway, you’ll kill him after we’re through getting what we need out of him.” Lavender answers

“Well that’s kinda harsh, who kills an unarmed tied up assailant out of spite?” The enermancer inquires

“You do once we find out what he’s been up to and if he knows where the duke’s son is.” Lavender answers

“Way ahead of you cheesy.” Lord Horatius replied as his began striking his custom made flint stone onto the strips of dried cloth he had just placed on the drow’s head.

“What are doing?” Lavender questions

“Killing him as requested.” The hexblade answers

“That speech was for show of strength to the drow, they won’t talk to you if they think you’re inferior.” Lavender explains her strategy

“Oh he won’t be thinking inferior when he’s begging me to put out is azer-like head.” Lord Horatius explains his strategy

“What should we do?” Discordia asks Lavender

“Stop him from setting him on fire obviously, do something to get that to happen.” Lavender answers

Discordia begins to disrobe

“Great, well at least he stopped trying to set the drow on fire. You get the flint from him.” Lavender pokes at the enermancer who himself is also watching the warlock go to work.

“Fine I’ll do it.” Lavender reaches out for the flint but Lord Horatius pulls the rock back

“Don’t touch Mr. Blister.” The hexblade commands

“What? You’ve named your rock?” Lavender exclaims

“Of course, when you’ve been through as much as we have together a natural bond forms.” Lord Horatius explains

Gramps shuffles his way up to the downed drow and already wheezing bends over and hacks up some phlegm for the dark elf’s complexion.

“Lookie here darkling, we can do this the respectful way where I kill you anyway, or we can do this the screaming to yer momma way where my buddy here slowly burns off yer appendages and I mark the stumps with symbols of Eilistraee.” Gramps tells the drow

“Yes!” Gleefully Lord Horatius quickly gets a fire going with some twigs and pieces of unburned wagon

“I tell you nothing Crap of a giant’s diarrhea.” The drow spat

“Burn him.” Gramps said

Lord Horatius yanked the drow’s left hand free and shoved it into the lager than necessary fire he built next to the drow. The dark elf bit his lip back in pain and grunted loudly but still did not yield any info.

“Do it again.” Lavender commanded

“You going to say anything or are you going to let this torture continue?” Slyphwhisper asked of the enermancer

“You think I should tell them?” the enermancer asked, the gnome nodded in affirmation and the enermancer spoke up to the whole group this time.

“I wouldn’t be burning him if I were you, if you ingest any of that black smoke you’ll get dizzy for a week and after that you’ll sprout stalks on your head with eyes in them! Better you bury him upside down in the ground and cut open his feet so that the maggots can eat away the beholder mist in their bodies first. Then we can dig him back up after a fortnight and burn him safely then.” The enermancer offered

“Tell you what pal, you tell us what we want to know, and I won’t give you over to the crazy guy once we’re done with you. “ Lord Horatius explained

“We were instructed to capture as many mages as possible and bring them to a predetermined exchange point.” The drow spoke

“And where was that?” Lavender questioned

“I was not privy to that information; perhaps if you had been valiant in your battle then the blade sticking out of my leader’s back wouldn’t prevent you from asking him.” The drow related

“So you’re telling us you’re useless to us?” Lavender implied.

“I. uh. Er..” the drow stammered

“Gotcha.” Gramps responded

“Tsk. Tsk, and here I was looking forward to having more fun with the drow.” A disappointed Discordia said as she began to re-dress herself

The enermancer leaned in close to the drow’s right ear, “dude, come up with something useful, talk about your home world or a good recipe for rhubarb pie.”

Gramps slammed his shield into the face of the drow knocking him unconscious again. The party hid the wagons off the path and dug shallow graves for the dead drow. The drow prisoner was tied and gagged to a tree and left to fend for himself much to the chagrin of Lard Horatius who begged and pleaded for a pyre to be built to get rid of the bodies.

After a brief break for lunch the party approached the cave as the sky began to get overcast. The enermancer looked nervously skyward as they approached the cave. The party save for the enermancer crept up to scope out the cave. The enermancer stayed back with the party’s gear and gazed upwards.

Slyphwhisper, began detailing the outside of the cave entrance to the party, showing the tracks leading in and the lack of exterior gurads likely meant they were too confident or there were traps inside.

The sunlight dims perceptively as the orb slides behind a fluffy cloud in the sky. The enermancer sensing the encroaching darkness, thrusts his head up towards the sky to find the sun missing in the afternoon sky.

“Aaaaaa! I’ve failed, the sun has been extinguished!” the enermancer screams and runs for the hexblade’s backpack

Lord Horatius who had wondered over to hear what the gnome was explaining, turned his head towards the sounds of the male screams behind him and spied the enermancer digging through his pack and producing a torch. Panic sets in as the hexblade sprints off to interrupt the thieving enermancer.

“Stop! Don’t touch Susan!” the hexblade shouts

The enemancer looks around for a female held against her will, finding none and nothing out of the ordinary except for a running Lord Horatius, begins trying to light the torch.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” The hexblade demands as he closes the gap to the enermancer

“I’m lighting this torch to re-ignite the sun, the damp clouds have extinguished its light.” The encermancer responds

“You’re doing it wrong. Here let me.” The hexblade replies and shoves the enermancer out of the way

In two short strokes of the flint, Lord Horatius has the torch burning. The enermancer grabs a hold of the torch but Lord horatius refuses to relinquish his grasp

“Let me have the torch I must re-light the sun!” the enermancer screams

“Take your hands off Susan!” Lord Horatius exclaims

The brawnier enermancer manages to dislodge the hexblade’s fingers from the torch. The enermancer turns and flings the torch skyward in an attempt to hurl the burning wood through a cloud bank thousands of feet into the air. The small stick tumbles over itself for a few seconds before gravity claws at the torch and begins to bring it back to the ground.

“Susan!” The hexblade cries as the torch lands just short of a hundred feet from their location on a dry forest floor

The enermancer looks up at the sky with a defeated glare, with the hexblade sobbing behind him the enermancer turns and puts a hand on Lord Horatius’ shoulder.

“It’s okay let it out. I too shall miss the sun. I know not why you called it Susan but I respect you for giving me the torch that may have saved us all from a dark cold death.” The enermancer spoke

“What?” Lord Horatius responded as he looked up from his wet palms to see the forest floor ablaze with the remnants of flame the torch brought back to the ground, “Yeah!” Lord Horatius shouted as he sprung off his knees and pumped his fist into the air at the sight of the forest afire.

“What the hell did you two freaks do? The whole forest is going to burn down and we’ll be found out for sure!” Lavender squealed

“Blessed be the light, the sun has chosen the earth we walk on to replace it in the celestial sky, isn’t it glorious?” The enermancer announces

*sob* “yes, it’s beautiful.” The hexblade commiserates crying tears of joy at the birthing of a forest fire

The sun creeps out from behind the cloud bank and the enermancer falls to his knees sobbing, “I did it, I saved the sun!”

The thick smoke created from the decaying plant material coupled with the dry leaves crawls across the path and washes over Gramps who in a fit of coughing passes out from the lack of oxygen. Like a carpenter ant and a roses bush both relishing the falling log, Lord Horatius and the enermancer danced gleefully in front of the fire for their own reasons. Discordia rushed to the dwarf’s aid and bent an ear down to the dwarf’s mouth.

“He’s still breathing barely; someone should give him mouth to mouth.” The warlock announces

“What about you? You’re already there.” Lavender chastises

“Me?” Discordia spoke and then felt the wave of heat sluice across her body as the fire began playing with the wind currents, “I’m too hot to do it.” Discordia replied while slipping off her boots slowly and in an exaggerated manner. Then leisurely draw the laces apart on her corset.

“What the?” Slyphwhisper spoke, “Apparently the enermancer’s insanity has spread, the cheese maker is flipping out, the dwarf is dead and the warlock is getting naked. I’m going to go down that hole, that’s got to be a better place than up here.”

Remove ads