Generating Ability Scores (POLL IS COMPLEX TAKE YOUR TIME)

Which method should we use to generate PC ability scores

• ... Two Mountains Array (17 17 13 10 10 8)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ... "An 18!" Array (18 16 12 11 9 8)

• ... Balanced Array (15 15 15 12 11 11)

• ... Other Array ______

• Method 2: Customizing Scores (AKA Point Buy) 20 points

• ... 28 points

• ... 32 points

• ... (4d6 take highest) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)

• ... Higher Power (5d6 take highest) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)

• ... Dark Sun Method (5d4) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)

• ... Hard Core (3d6) - unbanded (less than +2 reroll)

• ... oDnD Style (3d6 in order Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha)

• Method X: I wish to propose an alternative (point buy with different table, interpretive dance, etc)

Graf

Explorer
This is a poll about ability score generation method used to create player characters.

PLEASE NOTE: VOTES FOR EACH METHOD WILL BE TOTALED BEFORE LOOKING WITHIN THE SEGEMENT UNLESS YOU SAY OTHERWISE
(in other words all votes for method 1 will be counted, and all votes for method 2, and so forth and then votes will be decided within that segment).

So if you want Standard Array, but if it's point buy you want 20 point?
Vote for standard and put point buy # request in your post.

If you want Standard but would prefer point buy over the other array options?
Vote for standard and put that request in your post.

You can only vote once in each area (i.e. for Method 1, 2, 3 or X AND once within it so if it's method 3 you can only vote for one sort of rolling method, method 2 only one point buy total, etc)

[d]--][/d]

Please refer to PhB pg 17-18 for details on how these work.

[d]--][/d]

Method 1: Standard Array
... Two Mountains Array (17 17 13 10 10 8)
would be 25 points under method two
... "An 18!" Array (18 16 12 11 9 8)
... Balanced Array (15 15 15 12 11 11)
... Choose among the arrays above in same range
... Other ______
Method 2: Customizing Scores (AKA Point Buy) 20 points
... 22 points
... 24 points
... 25 points
... 28 points
... 32 points
P.S. God called. His representative is hoping you'll be kind enough to meet him Upper Quarter of Sigil, say 3pm tomorrow? Something about wanting to sign a non-aggression pact while you're still too low level to assault him on his home dimension.
Method 3: Rolling Scores (4d6 take highest) - banded (hard +4 ~ +8 limit)
All characters must fall within +4 ~ +8
... (4d6 take highest) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)
Characters below +4 can be redone | greater than +8 can be kept
... Higher Power (5d6 take highest) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)
Presumably nobody wants a hard band with 5d6

... Dark Sun Method (5d4) - unbanded (less than +4 reroll)
Yep, you keep all of them little dice no dropping.
... Hard Core (3d6) - unbanded (less than +2 reroll)
You can still move stats around per normal method 3.​
... oDnD Style (3d6 in order Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha)
When I played DnD we only had one six sided die, and we made it by cutting off one of our digits, boiling off the flesh, 'n polishing it with sandpaper until it was the right size...
Method X: I wish to propose an alternative (point buy with different table, interpretive dance, etc)
You're on your own with this one

garyh

First Post
Interpretive dance is tempting, but I'm strongly in favor of 22 point point-buy. Several reasons:

- point buy allows more customization than a standard array.
- 22 points is the PHB standard, and thus easiest to balance for.
- totally avoids the uneven randomess of rolling.

... 32 points

P.S. God called. His representative is hoping you'll be kind enough to meet him Upper Quarter of Sigil, say 3pm tomorrow? Something about wanting to sign a non-aggression pact while you're still too low level to assault him on his home dimension.

Heh, that's awesome.

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
In a game likely to run as long as some of these (I hope) any balance issues are going to be highlighted, over time. So, 22point buy for me, too. I might be willing to be talked into 24 or 25 points, but probably no higher than that.

Graf

Explorer
We should start a balance issues thread.

My experience running 4e so far is that smart tactical decision making/fight by fight resource management is just vastly more important than character stats.

I picked 25 because I usually give out alot of character points (my ePoL game gave out 25 and 18s are still rare). It makes people feel good and doesn't effect the game.

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
I'd be okay with going up to 25 probably. It's basically letting a player bump a 12 to a 14, which I doubt is game-breaking. It's not enough to bump a 16 to an 18 or anything.

The Goblin King

First Post
Just so you know it was very difficult for me not to vote oD&D style. What can I say? I am evil. :devil:

I mulled it over for a while and the only argument I came up with was "it is not Standard Operating Procedure." I figured that wasn't good enough so as I don't really see the harm in it I voted 25 point buy.

Erekose13

Explorer
Seems everyone is in favor of point buy and somewhere in the low 20s. Personally I'd try some wacky rules for my own pbp game, but for a living world standard is best. Having played for quite a while under the slightly more restrictive LEW pb and lobbied to increase it, I saw starting a little higher (25) would be preferrable.

garyh

First Post
Yeah, it's point-buy by a land-slide. And while I voted for 22 points, I've been sufficiently convinced that 25 points is a good idea that I'd throw my support behind that.

Remove ads